pizza

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

maribell

pizza

Post by maribell »

Has anyone figured out a good way to transport pizza/ to-go food on their scoots? I have tried pizza twice and both times it was very unpleasant. Is this just a pipe dream?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Get a Large backpack like a suit case type, or event a cooler, mount it to the rear rack, go buy pizza, slide it in the cooler or backpack, it'll help keep the pizza warm while riding :)
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I just have a piece of plexiglass that I can hook to my rear rack. It's like a 1 and a half foot square with a bottom edge to keep the 'zzas from sliding off. Of course you have to drill a couple holes in it to hook some bungee cords to it. Plus I recommend drilling several small holes in the middle for maximum ventilation. It keeps the condensation to a minimum (nobuddy likes soggy pizza).

A bag is a good idea tho to keep it warm... maybe I'll build one around it. Thanks for the idea! :D
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

1st day I bought the scoot:

2 large little ceaser's pizzas w/ a couple of bugies.

No problem.
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

i bring pizza home almost weekly by bungy-ing to my front rack.

works flawlessly.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Wouldnt you tilt it though? Doesnt the pizza get ruined? I'd think leaving it leveled would be safer for the pizza, but since you do it all the time, I guess it must work!
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Maybe that is a Calzone :D :D :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

There's a slight tilt, but the pizza is always fine when i get home.

Never a problem.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

you mean you don't just balance it on your finger tips and ride with one hand?
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
maribell

Post by maribell »

maybe it's the basket that is getting in my way. i work at an italian restaurant and put it into lots of smaller boxes. all the cheese moved off and some of the juice from the toppings dripped down the back. i would have been mad if it wasn't free. :o

so rack+ bungees= goodness ?
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

maribell wrote:maybe it's the basket that is getting in my way. i work at an italian restaurant and put it into lots of smaller boxes. all the cheese moved off and some of the juice from the toppings dripped down the back. i would have been mad if it wasn't free. :o

so rack+ bungees= goodness ?
Not the front rack!!!! I dont know what kind of pizza he eats but the stuff I get would just be a ball of nasty if put on the front rack
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

I suppose you're more than welcome to doubt my experience, but I can only speak from my experience.

That experience has been that I have no problem transporting pizza on the front rack of my buddy.

As always, your mileage may vary...
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Shane Wilson wrote:I suppose you're more than welcome to doubt my experience, but I can only speak from my experience.

That experience has been that I have no problem transporting pizza on the front rack of my buddy.

I have just tipped a pizza for a couple seconds and the toppings slid
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

we've talked about getting one of those delivery bags that the guys have and mounting(strapping) that to the bike. Probably a rear rack as I wouldnt want it to get the full force of wind, even in a bag.
Scootbeast

Pizza machine

Post by Scootbeast »

I work at Papa John's pizza and am trying to convince them to let me deliver on my scooter. I am in the process of modding my Buddy 50. I have put the 70cc upgrade on it and am installing a pipe soon. All roads I drive on are 45 mph or less, so I would need a strong trunk system.

I have had many thoughts of commercial pizza delivery on the scoot. One method is installing a rear rack and welding an extension to install a specially designed pizza trunk. My local scooter shop sells one for around $200. I am thinking this is too expensive, but would work well.

Another idea I am developing is constructing a fiber-glass enclosure and simply sliding the pizza hot bags inside. This would be a cheaper solution, however I cannot think of how to install it.

I would also need to mount a car topper and light it up at night. Would it fry my battery to hook up an accessory on my 06' Buddy? If anybody has ideas it would help me out a lot!
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Power inverter might work if you can splice it in there, it'll convert what little electricity your battery can put out to alot more use-able by a commercial light. Any Large plastic container that will fit pizza's inside and still be thin would work, just drill some holes and mount it on without ruining the rear rack.
Scootbeast

Post by Scootbeast »

I have seen the TGB delivery scoot, and I asked my shop if it was any good. They told me it was total junk. They have already replaced the motor several times one one.

Another thing I was trying to avoid is the above "50cc" rule of registration and insurance and such. Thanks for the insight.
DouglasLive

Post by DouglasLive »

ScooterTrash wrote: Not the front rack!!!! I dont know what kind of pizza he eats but the stuff I get would just be a ball of nasty if put on the front rack
Yeah -- front racks are for stadium mirrors, extra headlamps, and bike horns! ;-)
Witch

Post by Witch »

I second the idea of just using bungees. That's all I've done, and it worked fine. Just make sure it's a decently sturdy box, and the bungees aren't too tight. One smaller pizza place gave me a couple pies in some super cheapo boxes, and they were half smooshed on the 2-mile trip home.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Has anyone figured out a good way to transport pizza/ to-go food on their scoots? I have tried pizza twice and both times it was very unpleasant. Is this just a pipe dream?
I've simply put the box on the back rack and "wrapped" it down with a handy ACE bandage. Works like a charm and much more flexible and easy to use than bungies IMHO.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There are rack-mounted pizza delivery boxes for scoots out there. I tried finding them online when this came up once before, but had no luck.

Wonder if I could find an electric blanket with a 12v plug? That'd be perfect for keeping it warm!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kaje

Post by Kaje »

you could strap some of these to the back rack

http://www.akitchen.com/store/delivery.html
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Kaje wrote:you could strap some of these to the back rack

sign me up for the one that holds 10... It's like a multi-level pizza CONDO! :shock: I could stock up for a week! 8)
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

wouldn't it be easier to just ask for a smaller box and stack the pizzas, instead of trying to carry a flat and wide box?
Nellly Melson

My comment

Post by Nellly Melson »

go on!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

ScooterTrash wrote:
Shane Wilson wrote:I suppose you're more than welcome to doubt my experience, but I can only speak from my experience.

I have just tipped a pizza for a couple seconds and the toppings slid
That means really hot and lots of cheese! Goooood!

You can always go online and order Little Ceaser's. They ship to you and you chunk it in the oven. They're good. I keep at least 4 boxes of 3 pizzas in my freezer.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I have a milkcrate on my back rack. I put the pizza box on top of the crate and use a bungee net to hold it down. I've never had a problem even on the pothole hell that is Dean Street on my way home from Bob & Timmys.
Attachments
bungeenet.jpg
bungeenet.jpg (7.18 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

I carry pizza on my scoot and it works fine. I just wedge the box horizontally between the body in the foot area. A large Round Table box fits perfectly. It will bend the box slightly, but that helps to keep it in place. No bungies, etc. needed. Friction does the trick.

I have the aftermarket footpegs so I have someplace to put my feet. It looks odd, but it works.

PasadenaSue
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

PasadenaSue wrote:I carry pizza on my scoot and it works fine. I just wedge the box horizontally between the body in the foot area. A large Round Table box fits perfectly. It will bend the box slightly, but that helps to keep it in place. No bungies, etc. needed. Friction does the trick.

I have the aftermarket footpegs so I have someplace to put my feet. It looks odd, but it works.

PasadenaSue
That's about the only way I've been able to figure it out as well. That or carrying it on my lap.

I like the cargo net on a milk crate idea but the place I order from the most has the most flimsy boxes known to all pizzadom, so any kind of pressure from a net/bungee crushes it.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Re: pizza

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

maribell wrote:Has anyone figured out a good way to transport pizza/ to-go food on their scoots? I have tried pizza twice and both times it was very unpleasant. Is this just a pipe dream?
depends on what is in the pipe rock and roll
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

I have a flawless method that ensures a wonderful pizza consumption experience.

1) Order the pizza
2) Sit down and eat the pizza
3) Hop on scooter and transport pizza home in belly
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

I have carried pizza 2 different ways.

By myself - riding a twist n go scooter (Buddy, LX150, ET4)
Hold he pizza with left arm and throttle & brake with right hand. I have also put smaller pizza's on the floorboard between my legs.

With passenger (cute girl that is hungry) - Riding shifter scooter (classic Vespa, Stella, Bajaj)
Have passenger (cute girl that is hungry) hold pizza.

In both cases it is also easy to carry a 6 or 12 pack of adult beverages on floorboard either between legs or on one side with foot on top keeping it stable.

Since my singleness and the fact that I work usually 10-12 hour days, pizza has become a staple of my diet.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

Scootbeast wrote:I have seen the TGB delivery scoot, and I asked my shop if it was any good. They told me it was total junk. They have already replaced the motor several times one one.

Another thing I was trying to avoid is the above "50cc" rule of registration and insurance and such. Thanks for the insight.
:roll: I've been running a TGB 50 for over 3 years +6000 miles with no trouble whatsoever.
jbougere

Post by jbougere »

you could strap some of these to the back rack

Totally. I see pizza delivery scoots with these bungeed to cooling racks zip-tied to their rear racks all the time around here - especially around the west end of DC at 11 - 12 or so during finals.

If you're really committed to your pizza, I can't imagine doing it another way.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Orange Guy wrote:I have a flawless method that ensures a wonderful pizza consumption experience.
1) Order the pizza
2) Sit down and eat the pizza
3) Hop on scooter and transport pizza home in belly
Yeah, I remember when that was pretty much the standard way of eating (and transporting) pizza. Take-out pizza is OK, but eating at a pizzeria is better.

Oh, and when I get take-out pizza... I just walk down the street. Why would anyone choose to live somewhere without pizza, beer, coffee, and a bike repair shop within walking distance?
Last edited by TVB on Fri May 08, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickko

Post by rickko »

If you're really hungry you could call these guys.... They deliver on a scooter.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JwNEw5zftjQ&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Or, better yet, you could try it yourself, but hopefully more successful than this person...

<embed src="http://embed.break.com/Njg3MTY3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess=always width="464" height="376"></embed>
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Here's a 12v heated pizza delivery bag:
http://is.gd/xQ5l

There are several bags on eBay but not as many used (cheap) ones as I'd hoped. One of the chefs at my fave pizza place (Dino's in Burbank for the locals) rides a Buddy. Maybe she'd score a bag for me. :) I live outside their rather tiny delivery area.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
laxer

Post by laxer »

ericalm wrote:Here's a 12v heated pizza delivery bag:

There are several bags on eBay but not as many used (cheap) ones as I'd hoped. One of the chefs at my fave pizza place (Dino's in Burbank for the locals) rides a Buddy. Maybe she'd score a bag for me. :) I live outside their rather tiny delivery area.
Just call in an order from domino's for your neighbors across the street. Then, while they argue with the pizza man, you steal the "hot n' fresh" bag out of his car! :D
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I've carried tons of pizzas in my life time eerrr scoot life I mean... my belly is the best place for it... I've yet to spill one... I can help carry yours if you give me a heads up

:)
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

this is how my pizza gets delivered.
abstraxion

Post by abstraxion »

n2tattoos wrote:Image

this is how my pizza gets delivered.
Oh hellz yeah. Where are you at? I live on First Ave, literally two blocks away from Bronx. It's dangerous, but not as dangerous as if I live near Sicilian Thing or Luigi's.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

After reading all the post here I've concluded it has to be the brand of pizza that matters.I mean if several buddy riders can bring home a pizza with no problems all the time,then what else could it be?
Aerosmith, None Other.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

maribell wrote:Has anyone figured out a good way to transport pizza/ to-go food on their scoots? I have tried pizza twice and both times it was very unpleasant. Is this just a pipe dream?
A Domino's Medium pizza fits perfectly in my 30 liter Givi case. It's just tight enough that it won't move around at all. The toppings on any pizza that is really hot are going to move around a little, so you know, you've got physics working against you, but I've had no real problems. Top box seems to keep it pretty warm too.

This is useful info for the five people in the U.S. that 1) own a scooter with a Givi topcase and 2) like pizza so much that they will eat anything (Dominos). Hey - it's cheap at least.

Anyway, the best pizza comes in a paper bag - not a new-fangled box!
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

ericalm wrote:Here's a 12v heated pizza delivery bag:

I'm sure that would result in a kick start the next time I start the scoot. :) Somebody needs to invent a scooter with the electrical system of a KLR 650.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

KCScooterDude wrote:
Anyway, the best pizza comes in a paper bag - not a new-fangled box!
Pizza Hut used to put their pizzas in bags. Remember that? It was before delivery, back in the pizza stone age. Somewhere along the line they did away with the bags and also started using tons of salt in their sauce.
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Kaje wrote:you could strap some of these to the back rack

Heck I would love to have one the metal ones that look like you're shipping human organs or toxic waste.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
Animaetrix00

Post by Animaetrix00 »

Dang, someone beat me to the Bronx Pizza scooter! I run into them all the time. :D mmm, pizza...
Vic

Post by Vic »

I found the perfect way to transport a pizza on a scooter:

Take reusable cloth shopping bag and insert: all purpose flour, table salt, yeast, sugar, olive oil, italian seasoning blend, rosemary, your favorite cheese, a can of tomatoes, and your favorite toppings.
Purchase.
Hang on purse hook of scooter.
Transport home.
In mixer bowl place 3c flour and 1 1/4t salt, add 1 2/3c water and mix on low to make dough resembling a batter.
Cover and let rest 20 minutes.
Add 1 1/2t yeast and 1 1/4t salt, mix in and then mix on high until smooth but very wet dough forms.
Pour about 1T oil into bowl, pour dough in and tap top lightly with greased hands to prevent drying out.
Go for scooter ride while you let rise, covered, until tripled (2-3hours, roughly).
About 30 minutes before its ready, heat a pizza stone in the oven at 450 degrees. This pie will not bake on the stone, but the stone helps keep the heat even.
On rimmed baking sheet, add 2T oil and coat the pan.
Pour the dough into the pan and spread it out, the dough may need to rest to finish spreading if it keeps springing back from the edges.
Let sit a few minutes (3-7) until a little bubbly.
Poke entire crust with a fork many times to prevent any huge bubbles.
Sprinkle lightly with Rosemary and italian seasoning.
Bake in oven about 15 minutes (lightly browned)
While baking, take tomatoes from can and drain, mush up with your hands, add a little herbs and garlic powder or use your favorite pizza sauce.
Remove crust and spread with sauce, cheese and toppings.
Return to oven and finish baking.
Eat.
Hop in scooter and go for another ride.

I promise no slipping toppings and no waiting until it is stone cold to keep said toppings in place.

:D
-v
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Vic wrote:I found the perfect way to transport a pizza on a scooter:

Take reusable cloth shopping bag and insert: all purpose flour, table salt, yeast, sugar, olive oil, italian seasoning blend, rosemary, your favorite cheese, a can of tomatoes, and your favorite toppings.
Purchase.
Hang on purse hook of scooter.
Transport home.
In mixer bowl place 3c flour and 1 1/4t salt, add 1 2/3c water and mix on low to make dough resembling a batter.
Cover and let rest 20 minutes.
Add 1 1/2t yeast and 1 1/4t salt, mix in and then mix on high until smooth but very wet dough forms.
Pour about 1T oil into bowl, pour dough in and tap top lightly with greased hands to prevent drying out.
Go for scooter ride while you let rise, covered, until tripled (2-3hours, roughly).
About 30 minutes before its ready, heat a pizza stone in the oven at 450 degrees. This pie will not bake on the stone, but the stone helps keep the heat even.
On rimmed baking sheet, add 2T oil and coat the pan.
Pour the dough into the pan and spread it out, the dough may need to rest to finish spreading if it keeps springing back from the edges.
Let sit a few minutes (3-7) until a little bubbly.
Poke entire crust with a fork many times to prevent any huge bubbles.
Sprinkle lightly with Rosemary and italian seasoning.
Bake in oven about 15 minutes (lightly browned)
While baking, take tomatoes from can and drain, mush up with your hands, add a little herbs and garlic powder or use your favorite pizza sauce.
Remove crust and spread with sauce, cheese and toppings.
Return to oven and finish baking.
Eat.
Hop in scooter and go for another ride.

I promise no slipping toppings and no waiting until it is stone cold to keep said toppings in place.

:D
-v
I like your idea it's not the fastest, but darn if it doesn't sound tasty. :D
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/