Overfilling fuel

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Sparky

Overfilling fuel

Post by Sparky »

I've been trying to fill the fuel tank so that the drip from the emissions carbon filter will stop. Problem is that there isn't any internal plate to mark where to stop, and the manual is slightly vague as to when precisely to stop. I assume that the bottom of the fuel filler neck is the "stop" point, yes? I poke a finger inside to feel how far the level is below the lip.

Oh, and about when the fuel gauge reads empty. I've noticed that I can always refill to 4 litres every time. Is E at the bottom of the red zone just indicating you're on a two litre reserve?
louie

Post by louie »

yes just fill to the bottom of the neck.
i've read different perseptions of how much fuel is left at empty. some have reported empty at E. i've not run out of gas and unintentionally run on empty before.
Christy

Post by Christy »

i've wondered this as well. my previous scoot had a larger gas tank but the fuel gauge was completely broken so I had to do it motorcycle-style and just check every once in a while. Anyway, it's hard to go from that to this...i just don't know where my gauge is at! :)
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Yea, I had a problem with that as well, I overfilled it several times, now I just run it past empty (my empty lasts a long time) and then fill it to about 1.12 gallons. all better! :)
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Anyone have gas spill out? I've had this happen once or twice when filling it up.

Another thing, anyone ever have gas leaking after a long ride? I had a drip or two fall to the floor of my garage, touched it with my fingers and it was gasoline. It stopped after just a few drips, but still...concerns me.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Mine was doing that after I overfilled it- even though I ran it through half a tank, I just made sure not to overfill again, and it finally went away. My scooter mechanic guy said that happens fairly often.
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

Last spring I seem to remember a few posts saying the auto shut off on the fuel tap could get stuck in the "on" position if the tank were overfilled, or something to that effect.

I always fill to the bottom of the neck. So far, so good.