Buddy died! :(

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jfrost2

Buddy died! :(

Post by jfrost2 »

Speedo showed 40mph, was holding it there, and my buddy started slowing down, I gave it more throttle but it seemed that didnt help. It died. Middle of the street.

I waited 30 seconds to let it cool a bit and used electric start to start it back up, road home nice and safe! Road around the neighborhood trying to replicate what happened, nothing happened, it rode fine.

Battery power is good, gas is 1/4th of a tank.

Any clue on what happened?

Another thing, does the speedo move if you rev the bike while it is on the center stand? My speedo isnt moving, and I dont remember if it moves while the stand is up. I'm thinking my speedo cable may have disconnected, or maybe it doesnt move at all because I'm not really riding.
SScooterG

Post by SScooterG »

Sorry to hear about your buddy problems. To answer one question, no, the speedometer will not move while on the centerstand. the speedometer wire is connected to the front tire, so when the tire rotates the wire reads how fast and relays that to the speedometer. My speedometer cord came unscrewed under the headset while I was riding. It was a B to fix, but fixable! Unfortunately, your's sounds more serious.
PTB

Post by PTB »

Don't know why it would have died, but the speedo is connected to the front hub. Its that black plastic ring on the right side.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Oh ok I'm good then, I thought my speedo died too, but since i'm not moving, it makes sense for it to not show my speed.

It was very odd though, my bike just shut off. Not sure what happened. Maybe my kill switch flicked off, I was in panic, so I dont remember what I did, all I remember was pulling off the road to the side and starting it back up and since then it's been A-ok.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Have you been lusting after nother scooter . . . maybe it is trying to tell you something. :roll:

Kidding aside, I have no clue other that the kill switch, which you mentioned already. Or maybe crap on the gas that plugged your jet?

Hopefully it doesn't happen again. :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

If plugged it wouldnt be working like a charm now. But maybe there was some "Bad" gas that just didnt give enough to keep the engine going.

But then again, my second thoughts on my rear rack may have done this...Oh I knew I should have got chrome! Now my buddy hates me liking chrome better than black! :lol:
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

There are several Buddy owner where I live. One guy had some problems with the vacuum fuel cock. It is under the seat on the right side. This is why you don't have to turn off the fuel flow when you stop riding. It's kind of a fuel pump like thing too. Anyway his went out and ran simular to your problem. The repair manual is #7 Auto Cock Comp listed under the Fuel Tank parts section.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

Well, my first guess would have been an electromagnetic interference from Alien space craft (it does happen now and then) but since you were in traffic and the only one affected then I'd have to go with an alternate explanation.

As for hitting the kill switch by accident, I'm guilty of that at least once!

Might want to check that your battery cables are tightened properly. I've had loose and/or dirty terminals cause a number of problems with a VW bug I had once as well as a tank in the Army. (Sarge wasn't happy)

Spark plug wires and the coil wire are another simple thing that can go wrong. (Does the Buddy have a coil? ...it must right?) If they aren't pushed in all the way things can go wrong, on a single cylinder like the buddy you'll just stall.

Also, this is highly unlikely but did you have anything in the glove box that could have knocked/turned the key to off?

Hope its still going strong for you!
Last edited by xtetra on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

jfrost2 wrote:Maybe my kill switch flicked off, I was in panic, so I dont remember what I did...
I had a similar experience the other day as I pulled up to a stoplight. The engine just died and I couldn't get it to start. But yeah, somehow I had accidently bumped the kill switch. Flipped it back on and it started right up.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Rode to fill her up right now, on the way to the gas station, I cant tell if she was stalling or if it was just the bumpy road. Now I am worried, it feels like it's stalling all the time but really isnt, just me being nervous :lol:

Ride home felt smooth, I guess it was just me feeling nervous that made me think it was stalling, if it did, it would have shut off.
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

xtetra wrote:Well, my first guess would have been an electromagnetic interference from Alien space craft (it does happen now and then) but since you were in traffic and the only one affected then I'd have to go with an alternate explanation.
Do they make tinfoil helmets? :wink:
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Quick question: was it humid or rainy? I've had scooters cut out on me before when wet air inhibits the spark. The last incident happened a couple weeks ago during a nasty April rainstorm.
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

Don't laugh, they work! Won't bore you with the story. (Unless you really wana know.)
Attachments
foiledagain.jpg
foiledagain.jpg (64.98 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

No, it was sunny and nice. I'm starting to think the lowness of gas had to do with it maybe. Maybe I hit a bump, not enough gas to feed in and it cut off for just a second and was enough to turn the entire bike off.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

For the record the motor will run without a battery so I know thats not your problem. Probably an air bubble in the line
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'm sure it's fine now, if it isnt, I'll be taking it to metro scooter this week then. My dad's bike needs a service done, so I'll just cram both bikes into our van.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

I got some really bad gas (yea, I said gas :lol: ) I mean Fuel, and my scoot was doing that to me, did it 4 times on the way home, got some better fuel, filled it up and it was better by the end of the day.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Seems fine now, I rode alot today and it works great, no stalls, just pure power.
Pita1963

Re: Buddy died! :(

Post by Pita1963 »

jfrost2 wrote:Speedo showed 40mph, was holding it there, and my buddy started slowing down, I gave it more throttle but it seemed that didnt help. It died. Middle of the street.

I waited 30 seconds to let it cool a bit and used electric start to start it back up, road home nice and safe! Road around the neighborhood trying to replicate what happened, nothing happened, it rode fine.

Another thing, does the speedo move if you rev the bike while it is on the center stand? My speedo isnt moving, and I dont remember if it moves while the stand is up. I'm thinking my speedo cable may have disconnected, or maybe it doesnt move at all because I'm not really riding.
Mine did the same thing to me today.... not sure what happened, 1/4 tank showing left, just quit. Waited about 15min, started up again and went to the gas station, filled 'er up and made it home with no more problems.... weird.

Robb

The answer is : 42
gymnation

Re: Buddy died! :(

Post by gymnation »

Pita1963 wrote:
jfrost2 wrote:Speedo showed 40mph, was holding it there, and my buddy started slowing down, I gave it more throttle but it seemed that didnt help. It died. Middle of the street.

Mine did the same thing to me today.... not sure what happened, 1/4 tank showing left, just quit. Waited about 15min, started up again and went to the gas station, filled 'er up and made it home with no more problems.... weird.

Robb

Same scenario here exactly, except it only took about 5 minutes before it would start. I thought I would need roadside assistance.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I'm glad I'm not the only one. My Buddy died TWICE on me on the way home from work. This happened about 10 days after I bought her. The first time it died as I was coming down the back side of an overpass. I lost power but as I was costing and trying to get to the right side of the road, she fired back up.
2 or 3 miles later, the same thing happened. Again she fired back up as I was coasting to a stop. Incidentally, I had about 1/4 tank of fuel at the time.
The good news: that was 600 miles ago and it hasn't happened again. I, too, attributed it to "bad gas." I filled premium after the incident. I don't know what it was, but.....

Howard
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Premium gas is high compression gasoline, high compression gas in a low compression engine creates excess heat for no reason and is no "purer" than regular unleaded.

Theres a reason why the stickers say to use regular unleaded.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Interesting, the mechanic at my scoot dealership said that they recommend premium gas and actually said that in Europe they use 93 octane. Now I'm confused.

Premium or regular?

Howard
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I believe the formula used to calculate octane in Europe is different than the US. 93 in Europe is lower than 93 here.
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.