Topcase: Prima vs. SX

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

madtolive

Topcase: Prima vs. SX

Post by madtolive »

I was wondering if there is a significant difference between these two? the sx description at scooterwest says it has "expandable sides, rain cover, and UV protective coating to prevent fading"...

anyone have any experience with these guys? i was thinking about nabbing the prima topcase they have at my dealer when i go pick up my scoot...
JettaKnight

Re: Topcase: Prima vs. SX

Post by JettaKnight »

madtolive wrote:I was wondering if there is a significant difference between these two? the sx description at scooterwest says it has "expandable sides, rain cover, and UV protective coating to prevent fading"...

anyone have any experience with these guys? i was thinking about nabbing the prima topcase they have at my dealer when i go pick up my scoot...
I bought my Prima case last summer. It's faded and the latches broke. Not sure it was worth the $.
BadBrains

Re: Topcase: Prima vs. SX

Post by BadBrains »

madtolive wrote:I was wondering if there is a significant difference between these two? the sx description at scooterwest says it has "expandable sides, rain cover, and UV protective coating to prevent fading"...

That's a good question and I've been looking into those too, but like JettaKnight said, most every review I've read was less than favorable. Were you looking at the tan leathery SX top case? Is that the only top case they make?
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

sx makes a black canvas one that i was looking at. the leather ones look killer but are ridiculously expensive.

jettaknight, thanks for the info. i really like the aesthetics of the canvas topcases, versus say, the givi. but the givi's functionality with that brake light mod is def. a plus. guess i'll hold off on a topcase for now.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

This might be a long shot ...

Can someone with a top case give me some measurements?

Width front-to-back
Circumference
Length
etc.

Thanks!
kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

We have the Givi 30.

CAPACITY..............................30 ltr
DIMENSIONS (wxdxh)..............15 x 15 x 12 inches
WEIGHT..................................6 lbs
CASE + CONTENTS..................9 lbs

You can fit a full helmet with a little extra room.
A 15" Mac book & Dell laptop will fit with a lot of room for padding & other stuff. For padding we are going to go to the fabric store & buy the cheapest foam pad they have, about 1"-2" thick, & sew a bag together with the foam on the top & bottom with a smaller piece between them.

link:
http://www.giviusa.com/caschi_borse_bau ... 98&lang=en
scootsmith

Post by scootsmith »

I purchased the Prima topcase about a month ago. I like the way it looks and so far no problems. The sides expand a little bit - I have a rain suit in one of the side pockets now and you can not tell there is anything in the pocket from the outside. If it fades, no big deal to me.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

scootsmith wrote:I purchased the Prima topcase about a month ago. I like the way it looks and so far no problems. The sides expand a little bit - I have a rain suit in one of the side pockets now and you can not tell there is anything in the pocket from the outside. If it fades, no big deal to me.
thats good to hear, i just ordered one last night. damn those compulsive late night purchases! ::shakes fist::
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

in case anyone is still looking at one of these topcases, i just received mine today and i thought i'd share pictures in case anyone needs helping during their canvas case decision making process. :P

directly under the top flap

with my full face zox nevado inside

with the sides expanded

i haven't mounted it onto my scoot for lack of a chrome back rack (out of stock at urban moto), but here are some initial observations:

1) def. seems sturdier and much more solid than the prima bag.
2) sides are indeed expandable, you get about an ince more of space.
3) rain cover is not built-in as i had thought, but it is included and it's better than no rain cover at all.

conclusion: from handling the prima bag at the shop, i think the sx appeal bag is better quality. lets put some miles on it and see how the latches hold up. :twisted:

anyway, i hope that helps for anyone interested in getting either of these.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I WAY prefer the look of the bag to the hard topcases...
that will look sweet on your zombie!

The only problem maybe would be riding in the rain? :roll:
voodoosix

Post by voodoosix »

anyone got the SX saddlebags?

'08 Tomos Nitro
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

voodoosix wrote:anyone got the SX saddlebags?
they're pretty tiny but it fits the Buddy very well.

Mad, that bag is definitely going to look great on your scoot.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

the sx saddlebags are indeed pretty tiny, only three inches deep. if you need em for extra storage, you're better off ponying up for the givi saddlebags, i think. but i like having all my shiznat match too, so...

krusty and corsair - i'll be sure to put up pics as soon as i have it all together. rest assured, you all will get to know my zombie better than you want to. :)

and it *does* have a rain coat that you could pull over on it in case of a shower. sort of like a shower cap. still, anything that you need to keep 100% would be better off in the pet carrier.

now i just need the back rack and stuff to put in my topcase. on modernvespa there's a thread about essentials to always keep with your scoot. good stuff. first things on my list: tire repair kit, reflective safety vest, and a maglight. and maybe like, some granola. :)

corsair, you and lojical1 seemed to be pretty well outfitted, any suggestions?
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

We ended getting the Dowco saddlebags that Keys recommended... they're GREAT! Very durable and cost way less than the Givi bags ;) We've been able to fit just about everything in them (great for grocery shopping). I'll post a pic when I'm not feeling so lazy.

Thanks again for that recommendation Keys :)