New Buddy Scooterist - hooray!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JasonH

New Buddy Scooterist - hooray!

Post by JasonH »

Just bought my first two-wheel creature other than a bicycle and i love it! Driving in Port Republic, NJ Atlantic City area. Bought it from Philly Scooters, (theres a new dealership in Mays Landing, but that guy stunk like a used car salesman, the Philly people were great)

First day home, playing around, braking fast wobbling and braking, stopping on rocky surfaces I slid out twice. The first time wasn't so bad, just being cocky stupid at very slow speed.

Second one I was doing brake tests just seeing what happens when i stop real fast from 20 or so mph. First times were cool, stopped just fine. Tryed on some rocks, still cool, tryed alittle faster and alittle harder on the brakes and I went down pretty hard. Cracked the headset, the bottom piece of the headset and the piece that holds the headlight. Poor sunset buddy, but thats ok i'll get him/her fixed( i haven't checked in the rear yet ). If anybody knows approx how much that will be, it would help me out a bit :-)

400 Miles later, passed my motorcycle written and drivers test. Ridden through wind, rain, giant turtles, fast moving antelopes, catepillars and going strong!

Some questions have come up in that time though

I am terrified of big pot holes, she handles little ones quite well i've found after running them over. but the biggies, man those little tires get me scared riding in unknown places at night

Wind seems to be a real issue. I'm learning to stay loose like you experienced scooterers talk about around here, but it seems with the wrong set of factors together it could make for a real problem. (avoiding a big pothole, getting hit by a windgust) 170 pounds 5'9 for reference
I've read a few threads on windshields and the sail effect. I wouldn't want to increase the already big sail effect it seems to have, but riding in a strong headwind at high speeds is not easy, seems like something to have and be able to remove if necessary, but i can't really say yet.

Headlight does not seem to be sufficient for night riding at 45 mph plus in woodland areas with deer and possible potholes. Gonna have to upgrade that

Horn is weak, need that Stebel air horn creation!

It's gonna be my only transportation here in New Jersey, and it does get cold in the winter. Some days i may have to bus, borrow a car, etc, but I would like to make as few of those days as possible. So any specific riding wear that has worked for you guys and gals would be fantastic. Gloves, jackets, pants, the whole shebang. I have a full face Z1R strike helmet
I picked up for 70 bucks online(good helmet in my opinion and great price)

I love how fun it is, I love how free it is, I love how cheap it is, and I love that there is a forum to talk about them!
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Jason,
congrats on the scoot :D and sorry on the falls. :(

- Have you taken the MSF? If not, take it ! Read Proficient Motorcycling and also visit the MSF website. Lots of good info there. And if you lock up the front brake let go IMMEDIATELY !
- Riding at night has its set of issues. Honestly, your headlight will never feel like it is adequate enough when riding in wooded areas. Lots of critters that come out unanounced. Just keep your guard up and don't piss off the scooter Gods.
- Wind. A windscreen most times will help you to deal with the wind. Keep in mind you are also a sail. Stay loose and let the bike react and adjust to the gusts. Ride on the center of the lane so you have a few feet in each direction the wind can push you and don't fight it. The gyroscopic effect on the wheel will make the bike stay upright and going forward. Again, don't fight it. Small corrections are best.

- Pot holes . . . well, try not to hit them and slow down to a comfortablr speed. Really, if you can't see them, not much you can do about them.

Gear, get everything you can afford. Does not need to be motorcycle specific. If you can't afford a pair of expensive MC boots, get some over the ankle work boots at Fleet Farm for $35. You get the idea. www.newenough.com is a good place to start looking at things. Get armor in your "hit" points (elbows, shoulders, back, knees, hip). Cordura is a great material, so is leather and Dernier (spllng?)

Good luck and keep the rubber side down ! :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
jmazza

Re: New Buddy Scooterist - hooray!

Post by jmazza »

JasonH wrote:
Headlight does not seem to be sufficient for night riding at 45 mph plus in woodland areas with deer and possible potholes. Gonna have to upgrade that

Hey- I'm the unofficial evangelist for making sure your headlight is aimed properly- check out this thread (second post down by me) for instructions as well as the bulb to get as an upgrade.

My headlight was aimed approximately 33" lower than it should be... made a HUGE difference...
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Welcome Jason,

Careful what you do on your buddy, dont go testing it out here and there, many of the things you tried were dangerous, and I guess you learned that the hard way :lol:

Hope the buddy gets repaired, be sure to take the MSF, it's a really helpful class that will teach you to ride, I didnt ride until I took the class. Never riding my own bike, It was like I already knew how to ride it after graduating from the MSF.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Buddy Scooterist - hooray!

Post by jrsjr »

JasonH wrote:I've read a few threads on windshields and the sail effect. I wouldn't want to increase the already big sail effect it seems to have, but riding in a strong headwind at high speeds is not easy, seems like something to have and be able to remove if necessary, but i can't really say yet.
Hey Jason,

Welcome to scootering and to Modern Buddy! That's a nice write-up you did. I enjoyed it a lot. About the windshield thing, my best suggestion is to go with a very short windscreen, what they call a flyscreen. Flyscreens seem to block enough of the wind to actually make a scooter a little faster, but aren't big enough to act like sails.

Again, welcome to Modern Buddy!

-John
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

EP_scoot wrote:Jason,
congrats on the scoot :D and sorry on the falls. :(

- Have you taken the MSF? If not, take it ! Read Proficient Motorcycling and also visit the MSF website. Lots of good info there. And if you lock up the front brake let go IMMEDIATELY !
- Riding at night has its set of issues. Honestly, your headlight will never feel like it is adequate enough when riding in wooded areas. Lots of critters that come out unanounced. Just keep your guard up and don't piss off the scooter Gods.
- Wind. A windscreen most times will help you to deal with the wind. Keep in mind you are also a sail. Stay loose and let the bike react and adjust to the gusts. Ride on the center of the lane so you have a few feet in each direction the wind can push you and don't fight it. The gyroscopic effect on the wheel will make the bike stay upright and going forward. Again, don't fight it. Small corrections are best.

- Pot holes . . . well, try not to hit them and slow down to a comfortablr speed. Really, if you can't see them, not much you can do about them.

Gear, get everything you can afford. Does not need to be motorcycle specific. If you can't afford a pair of expensive MC boots, get some over the ankle work boots at Fleet Farm for $35. You get the idea. www.newenough.com is a good place to start looking at things. Get armor in your "hit" points (elbows, shoulders, back, knees, hip). Cordura is a great material, so is leather and Dernier (spllng?)

Good luck and keep the rubber side down ! :D
Congrats !! And welcome!! Ditto what EP said, I read the book before I took my MSF class and although I didn't understand some of it, it all came together in class!!

Robb

:nerd:
The answer is : 42
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

Thanks for the tips and welcome everybody. Theres an MSF class next saturday I think ill be making an appearance at. Luckily in New Jersey the state pays the bills.

Had a good trip today out to Long Beach Island on the Jersey Coast. Had her up to 69 on the Garden State Parkway on a 2 mile stint over Chestnut Neck. For any history buffs, Chestnut Neck was an inlet the privateers used during the revolutionary war to bring in captured British merchant ships.

The buddy did well at 69mph, might invest in a new exhaust or transmission upgrade in the future for alittle more punch when needed.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

JasonH wrote: The buddy did well at 69mph, might invest in a new exhaust or transmission upgrade in the future for alittle more punch when needed.
Expect that the speedo will read 10-15 percent high. You might want to check yours with a gps sometime.