genuine plastic body question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

paint_lick

genuine plastic body question

Post by paint_lick »

please excuse me but i've been a voyeur for a while now trying to get the scoop on genuine scooters. has anyone had any problems with the plastic panels? reason i ask is because my only scooter experience has been with a 70's era vespa that i rode daily to work in 2001 while living in Italy. It was metal and seemed bullet proof.

next month i'm relocating to SoCAL and will be returning to the commuting by scooter lifestyle. everyone seems to agree genuine scooters are excellent quality. i guess i was caught off guard when i checked out a buddy in person and it was entirely plastic. nice looking scooter but will it fade, crack, etc...? thanks for any input.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Plastic wont chip or fade or crack.

Only the pink and the sunset series faded, but that was after being in the sun all day everyday. Plus they dont make these anymore, all the interiors are black now for the regular buddy's.

Exterior paint seems to hold up fine and is very nice. And if you ever need them replaced it only cost 200-300 dollars the replace everything.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I'm not sure about only the pink and sunsets fading- I haven't read that here and it doesn't seem to make sense that only they would fade. They are also not painted- so no chipping to worry about (again from what I've read many times here).

I asked the same question about fading a while ago and was told that the panels that seem to fade the most are the inside panels (the textured plastic inside the legshield and under the seat.

Other than that, I agree that up close a metal scooter is cooler in many ways, but the plastic is part of what makes the Buddy so quick. The Buddy 125's can take many 150cc scooters for this reason.

Also, as jfrost2 eluded to, they are not very expensive to replace which makes for an easier repair bill if something goes wrong. It also allows you to make a custom color scooter if you like.

So, pros and cons. Good luck with your choice!
BGK

Re: genuine plastic body question

Post by BGK »

It's just the candy coated shell that's plastic. It's all metal underneath! Body work is just decoration. The metal monocoque chassis of the vespa is unique and while the styling is arguabley more attractive it has it's drawbacks as well in terms of accessability of the engine and major structural damage can be 'fatal' for the scooter. In terms of production and repair it's much more expensive of a method in modern times. Similar scooters to what you've been riding are around and if you must have one the end prices are relatively close. But wait until you get back and check out the traffic. I bet that the higher speeds and larger vehicles will create a dangerous feeling rivaling the congestion and hectic traffic paterns you may be used to in Italy. Modern brakes and power may sway your opinion.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Bikes with colored interiors do fade, a few members with pink and sunsets have claimed their interiors faded over a 1-2 year period of being outside in the sun daily. It's just dyed plastic, not actual paint, so the plastic itself fades, but the fancy exterior stays fine.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

All modern scooters except the Vespa use plastic panels over a steel frame and virtually all cars have some exterior plastic panels as well. The technology has been worked out quite well and is durable. As others have pointed out, the panels are inexpensive to replace. They are also easily painted if you want a custom look.

I won't deny that the paint work on a new Vespa is beautiful and looks better than a Buddy or virtually any other scoot around. On the other hand, they also cost twice as much as any other scoot around and damage is very expensive to repair. Any substantial damage is usually a total (of a $5000-7000 scooter!).

Appearance is very much a personal preference but there is no reason to shy away from the Buddy because of materials IMO.

jfrost2 wrote:Bikes with colored interiors do fade, a few members with pink and sunsets have claimed their interiors faded over a 1-2 year period of being outside in the sun daily. It's just dyed plastic, not actual paint, so the plastic itself fades, but the fancy exterior stays fine.
The problem I have seen is with lighter colors for the matte finished piece below the seat (that is probably the same one you are calling the interior). The matte surface stains more easily than the glossy surface on the exterior panels. I think this staining rather than fading produces a mottled look that is a problem. I suspect that is one reason that Genuine went to the black matte panels on all the solid colors in 2008. I have heard that some folks have painted the matte panel to solve this problem if it occurs.
Last edited by Dooglas on Sun May 04, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paint_lick

Post by paint_lick »

all of the feedback is much appreciated. i've been sold on the buddy for a while and this is more confirmation. where i'm headed in CA i've already lived before and it's a good place for commuting by scooter. now if i can just be patient enough and hold off on the purchase until i get there, one less thing to move... thanks folks.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

paint_lick wrote:all of the feedback is much appreciated. i've been sold on the buddy for a while and this is more confirmation. where i'm headed in CA i've already lived before and it's a good place for commuting by scooter. now if i can just be patient enough and hold off on the purchase until i get there, one less thing to move... thanks folks.
Moving to the LA area? The folks at our local Buddy dealer, NoHo Scooters, are very well-versed in scooters, new and vintage, Vespa and non-Vespa. They'll certainly be very helpful.

We've had no fading or problems with our pink Buddy.

And I'm still a fan of the monocoque Vespa frame. Damage costs more to repair, yes, but it's less likely to get totaled in a crash that might take out a Buddy for good. The hard-learned lesson for a lot of Vespa owners: don't drop your scoot!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…