Insurance Beware - Progressive Versus Geico

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bruce13

Post by bruce13 »

I bought my insurance today with Progressive. It was HALF the cost of the insurance quote from Geico. Keep in mind everybody's rate will vary based on age, experience, accidents...etc.

However, one key point is the coverage for Medical Payments. Geico only offers $2000 coverage here in Iowa and Progressive offers up to $25,000. This is the best health insurance you can buy IMO, EVEN if you have health insurance because there is NO deductible with Med Pay. Plus it covers out of network services your health insurance might not cover.

I don't work for any insurance company and actually only looked at Progressive and Geico because my home and auto insurance won't cover scooters.

Prices may be different in your state so research before you buy.

AND Drive safely so hopefully you will never have to use it!
:D
She-Buddy

Post by She-Buddy »

Word. It had been a couple years since I'd been a GEICO customer. I'd had Progressive for a few years when I decided, out of curiosity, to see where my rates with GEICO would be, so I called for a quote.

I found no good reason to switch. I have nothing against GEICO either, but I'm glad I did some research.
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

I had Geico for several years and finally left because of poor customer service. I know an American Family agent and went with him. He is also a scooter rider. I pay a few dollars more per year but at least I know when I call, I'll get my agent, not 50 re-directs and 20 minutes of 'on hold' time.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Hmm. I've always experienced excellent customer service with Geico. Guess it depends where you are...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Keys wrote:Hmm. I've always experienced excellent customer service with Geico. Guess it depends where you are...

--Keys 8)
+1 I've been with Geico for probably 13 years and they've been great.

Recently Progressive's rates have been enticing (at least on my car- for my scooter, last I checked they wouldn't give me comprehensive coverage- maybe due to thefts in my area?).

Can anyone give any real-world side-by-side comparisons of customer service between these two? I had called Gecio to cancel because I was going to go to Progressive and they convinced me to stay. They told me that while they don't advertise it, they offer accident forgiveness for their long-time customers (and in fact, I've benefitted from it once), and also told me that Progressive sometimes offers great opening rates but raises them quickly (probably a sales pitch half-truth).

I know that rates and coverages are not super useful to talk about because of the many factors that affect insurance but if anyone has a customer service comment I'd appreciate it!
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

Keys wrote:Hmm. I've always experienced excellent customer service with Geico. Guess it depends where you are...

--Keys 8)
My situation wasn't normal, I had moved to another state and bought and sold some vehicles in the meantime. Still, after six months of being on hold and driving across town and speaking with actual agents, no help.

I've lived in several states and transferring insurance was never a problem until this last move.

When I was asked about my leaving I told them my story and they told me that they heard that alot, (concerning the phone system).
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

It's all over the place, depending on dozens of factors…

We've talked a lot about it locally, I have a great rate from progressive, and other people just blocks away with similar situations were getting quotes of $800 a year. You just never know until you call a few different carriers and get quotes.

Also, make sure you're comparing apples to apples, policies differ vastly in deductables, coverage, service, medical, etc. You might get a much better rate from one carrier, but when it really comes down to an accident, are you going to get good service and a speedy resolution?

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
She-Buddy

Post by She-Buddy »

jmazza wrote:

--Keys 8)
Can anyone give any real-world side-by-side comparisons of customer service between these two? I had called Gecio to cancel because I was going to go to Progressive and they convinced me to stay. They told me that while they don't advertise it, they offer accident forgiveness for their long-time customers (and in fact, I've benefitted from it once), and also told me that Progressive sometimes offers great opening rates but raises them quickly (probably a sales pitch half-truth).

I know that rates and coverages are not super useful to talk about because of the many factors that affect insurance but if anyone has a customer service comment I'd appreciate it!
It's completely a sales pitch that Progressive raises its rate after the initial offer. What I found is that if you consistently have a good driving record, Progressive rates consistently decrease. While GEICO seems to have a basement below which they won't decrease, Progressive's "basement" is lower.

For customer service, I was "doored" by a driver when I was passing on my non-motorized bike. I had no trouble starting my claim nor getting it through. I also had the help of cops and witnesses. It only took a week for my damage check to be deliver - by hand.

I had a pleasant Progressive experience. But I agree that even the first person you reach when you call can set the tone for the rest of your experience. Very situational-dependent.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

She-Buddy wrote:
jmazza wrote:

--Keys 8)

It's completely a sales pitch that Progressive raises its rate after the initial offer. What I found is that if you consistently have a good driving record, Progressive rates consistently decrease. While GEICO seems to have a basement below which they won't decrease, Progressive's "basement" is lower.
cool. Thanks for the info. I've never had GEICO raise my rates except for when FL law changes (it seems like no matter what kind of insurance you're looking for or what company you talk to they always have a "special" FL department... grrr...). Progressive isn't *much* lower, so I'm hesitant to jump ship, and like I said, I need to re-check the scooter insurance because I think they wouldn't even give me comprehensive, which is a must in my book!

Thankfully I do have a spotless driving record (except for one incident years ago that was the one GEICO never raised my rates on) so I've got that going for me!

Thanks for the info!
bruce13

Post by bruce13 »

I can't compare the service between Geico and Progressive. All I am saying is that Medical Payment coverage for me was drastically different between the two. Progressive - $25,000 coverage while Geico only offered up to $2000 (MAX). $2000 will cover you ambulance ride these days and that is it. Plus, Geico was 3X as much?

Definitely check both and compare as it sounds like rates vary quite a bit based on numerous factors.

Drive Safely!

:D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

As has been discussed here before, quotes and rates for insurance vary greatly depending on a number of factors including age, location, experience, driving record and so on. Often it seems almost arbitrary—two companies will give wildly different quotes for similar coverage for the same person. Honestly, it's a bit of a crap shoot and the best you can do is get many quotes and compare them.

Also, keep in mind that in some states getting motorcycle insurance from Geico or Progressive means you're actually getting insurance from a company represented by one of those companies.

Customer service from these companies? Ehh, depends on who you get on the phone and whether they're in a helpful mood that day.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
uslow1998

Post by uslow1998 »

Geico 660.00
Progressive 185.00
Same coverage. Side by side.
Canceled Geico. Went with Progressive.
In So. Calif.
Need I say more ?
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Insurance is a racket. None of them is in business to do anything more than take your money and deny claims -- that's how that racket works. The ones that do it best stay in business, and can afford four hours of television ad time a day. Think about that for a minute before calling either of the aforementioned outfits.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

--Keys 8)
Must be an Arizona thing: After some NIGHTMARES dealing with the "other" insurance company we had when my wife totaled our Cavalier, we out of desperation went hunting, and Geico has been nothing but a joy for our auto policy. Very cheap rates (considering my wife's record), very friendly and tons of features for the money.

Was looking at them for coverage on the new bike, but I found out that they don't count a cycle and an auto policy as "Multiple policy discounts" :shock: WTF?!?! Since I pay my policies up front for the term on the car, I may try Progressive just to see how they treat me for a year if they are that cheap. When it comes time to re-up, then I can compare better.

The only thing keeping me from looking at Progressive harder is that they constantly push the "Snapshot" device, which is a data logger on your car that tracks your driving habits and dynamics, and that's not cool with me. I'm not putting any device that lets someone else collect data on me just to mini-max their coverage on me. I just find that creepy, even if it's only "voluntary" right now. If too many people get it, it becomes mandatory and a "feature". Call me paranoid, but no thank you. I have to have a drivecam in my car for work and that's enough for me.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
AlohaScoot

Post by AlohaScoot »

I'm in Hawaii and Progressive couldn't offer comprehensive or uninsured motorist. She didn't know why, though.
uncleralph

Post by uncleralph »

I have NEVER had Geico insurance but I got a birthday card from Geico the other day. I guess I got an online quote from them a couple of years ago so they have my address and birth date. It is sort of scary the information that is out there in cyberspace without you realizing it.

BTW, I have Progressive. They had the best rates. I have never made a claim so I can't speak to their service.
klaborde

Post by klaborde »

I have Geico now on Two Cars, and my Home for over 20 years...
Great Rates, and very good when you have to file a claim...

"BUT" !!!
When I got a quote for Motor Cycle Insurance, they were outrageous for my Buddy, so I have Progressive.
I called Geico back to compare rates, and they told me to call them next year, and after I completed my MSF Motorcycle Class, and they will quote me better prices.

So we will see next year?
Mods:Prima Wind Shield, Perf Exhaust, Front/Rear Racks, Cowl, Fender Guard, DR Pulley Variator & Racing Clutch, Bright LED DRL's, Strobe Brake Light, Zumo 220 GPS, Cheeky Seat Cover, Pirate Upholstery Leather Seat
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

It was that ad with Flo and the Orange Buddy.... :D

But ditto - I have four cars insured with Geico at good rates, but Progressive quoted me much better for the Bud. No claim experience yet.
Tenchi

Geico Rates for my new Buddy....

Post by Tenchi »

$96 a year, less than the 150 Kymco. Got my check for the stolen one in two weeks after reporting the theft and total loss. Will stick with the Green Lizard....Flo is annoying. :lol:
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

We actually switched to Geico from Progressive because of the rates. Goes to show you that it depends highly on location situation and stats.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

GaryEPSP wrote:I had Geico for several years and finally left because of poor customer service. I know an American Family agent and went with him. He is also a scooter rider. I pay a few dollars more per year but at least I know when I call, I'll get my agent, not 50 re-directs and 20 minutes of 'on hold' time.
Excellent point! If you know an insurance person who rides, is local,etc. there is nothing better!

Folks, be careful, Flo and the Lizard are named operator only companies. (So don't let a friend , a spouse, a neighbor ride your scoot if you have either of these.). You get what you pay for!
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Skarch

Post by Skarch »

neotrotsky wrote: The only thing keeping me from looking at Progressive harder is that they constantly push the "Snapshot" device, which is a data logger on your car that tracks your driving habits and dynamics, and that's not cool with me. I'm not putting any device that lets someone else collect data on me just to mini-max their coverage on me. I just find that creepy, even if it's only "voluntary" right now. If too many people get it, it becomes mandatory and a "feature". Call me paranoid, but no thank you. I have to have a drivecam in my car for work and that's enough for me.
Same reason that I had onstar uninstalled on my Suburban. I don't like the idea of someone in outerspace getting to cut power to my engine and lock me in the car just because big brother wants them to. Just say no to electric nannies and the voluntary police state!

FYI, I have State Farm, auto auto and home. Haven't priced it for the scooter I don't own yet, so we will see.
SuperFlyBuddy

Post by SuperFlyBuddy »

jprestonian wrote:Insurance is a racket. None of them is in business to do anything more than take your money and deny claims -- that's how that racket works.
Agreed. Ever see The Incredibles?
AtlBuddy

Post by AtlBuddy »

I heard the Geico lizard has been in rehab like 5 times now.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

I got Progressive insurance on my car because I live in Massachusetts, and when the state restrictions were finally lifted a few years ago, and other companies (other than Commerce and a couple others) could finally do business here, Progressive was the first one to be available. And, well, to compare them to Commerce, my payment was dropped by more than 50%.

So when I went to get scooter insurance, I just went with Progressive because I could get the multi-vehicle discount.

As for my experience with them, I've always had good service with their phone reps. My first claim with them though was when my scooter was stolen this March. I have to say, it couldn't have gone better. They sent someone out quickly to examine the "scene". Not only was she cute (Hi Erin!), but she was even going to do leg-work to try to find the scooter, talking to neighbors, and checking craigslist, et al.

Of course, my scooter was never found, and I got my claim check exactly 2 weeks from the day that I reported it stolen, as they said I would.

Oh, also, they cover up to $1000 worth of 'accessories', as long as you provide receipts and whatnot. Now, they say they will only cover "attached" accessories, meaning, nothing that was just stored in the pet carrier, but the rep told me to feel free to include those receipts, and the worst that could happen is that they wouldn't add the rejected ones to the value. Well, they didn't reject any of my claims, and gave me the full value for everything I listed, such as the chain which wasn't attached, and the RamMount which also wasn't mounted.

Interestingly, to find out the value for my scooter, they called my local scooter shop, which is where I bought it. Then the shop sold me a brand new Blackjack for exactly what they quoted the value of my older one at. I love Scooters Go Green.
brian964

Post by brian964 »

There is no company that offers the best deal for every person. You have to get quotes from different companies online and see which companies can provide you with the best price: http://www.quotes-center.com
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i have geico and have favorable rates and what seems like good customer service

haven't had to use it, though
Riding is riding
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

The only reason I stick with Geico is that no one can match there rates on multi-motorcycle insurance. I pay $125 per year for 6 motorcycles/scooters, for just 1 motorcycle I pay $100 so the rest cost me $25 extra a year. How in tarnation can anyone possibly beat that? :P
AlohaScoot

Geico Quote

Post by AlohaScoot »

My quote from Geico:

Liability
Uninsured/Under insured motorist $25,000 per person/ $50,000 accident/ $10,000 property
Comprehensive
Collision

$50 deductible

$823 per year

2012 Buddy 50cc, clean driving record, new rider

Does this seem like a fair price? :?:
AlohaScoot

Progressive

Post by AlohaScoot »

Progressive can't give me a full quote because they don't have Genuine scooters listed. I just don't get it. Many of you go with Flo, right? I wonder if it's because I'm in Hawaii? The rep said she didn't know why it wasn't listed either but she had never heard of Genuine or Buddy. Hm.
Skootz Kabootz

Re: Progressive

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

AlohaScoot wrote:Progressive can't give me a full quote because they don't have Genuine scooters listed. I just don't get it. Many of you go with Flo, right? I wonder if it's because I'm in Hawaii? The rep said she didn't know why it wasn't listed either but she had never heard of Genuine or Buddy. Hm.
Progressive is a partner with Genuine. They even have a lock and cover special for new Genuine customers ( topic18581.html ). Heck, they're even listed right on Genuine's website! So if the agent you spoke with says they don't know Genuine scooters I'd call a different Progressive agent. That said, the Progressive phone agent once did the same to me and then quoted me $1200/year for insurance (for my Buddy! Rediculous.) Maybe better to find a local agent to talk to?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

AlohaScoot wrote:Progressive can't give me a full quote because they don't have Genuine scooters listed. I just don't get it. Many of you go with Flo, right? I wonder if it's because I'm in Hawaii? The rep said she didn't know why it wasn't listed either but she had never heard of Genuine or Buddy. Hm.
That's because you went with a local agent, which is basically just a reseller, and you apparently got one who is rather dumb.

Go through the website, or call their main national number. You can open a policy with the actual company. Forget the local resellers.
rickko

Variable insurance rates

Post by rickko »

Yep, lots of variables affect your insurance rate. Even your FICO score!

I've been driving/riding for 48+ yrs. Owned motorcycles most all of those years.
Perfect driving record. Excellent FICO
My 2007 125 Italia only costs me $72/year with 50/100/50 liability, 15/30 uninsured motorist & uninsured vehicle.
Insurance: State Farm. Been with them for 30 years.

My Harley is only $230/yr. with more coverage. Also State Farm.
No other company comes close to these rates. Even GEICO, who has my cars, can't compete.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I went with Farmers because everything else is insured with them...plus my agent is a personal friend..not that that influenced my decision...

Anywho, I pay $110 a year which is not too bad for San Francisco.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

i have progressive for the cars scoots and motorcycle

one think that helps big time with progressive is they give you credit for years of riding not just years of having a motorcycle endoresment

where gico and others asked how long i had my endorsemnt progressive asked how long have i been riding
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

make sure that medical coverage is for you.

the woman who hit me had no medical insurance and thought her scooter insurance was going to cover her. NOPE - the medical benefit was for the damages she caused not the ones she sustained.

She had GEICO but it may be how it works. Maybe it has to do if you're at fault or not but if you're not at fault the it would be the at fault insurance paying, right?
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

ed85379 wrote:
That's because you went with a local agent, which is basically just a reseller, and you apparently got one who is rather dumb.

Go through the website, or call their main national number. You can open a policy with the actual company. Forget the local resellers.

You could lose big here because when you buy direct there is no agent's malpractice coverage (e and o) to protect you the consumer. If you buy the same policy thru an agent you get this protection. Try arguing with Progressive Direct after a claim if there was a mistake in your coverage, limits,deductible,etc. Not good.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA