buying and registering the buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

paint_lick

buying and registering the buddy

Post by paint_lick »

i'm definitely buying a buddy and went to the dealership today to get more details (super nice place and very helpful). i was told there will be a price increase June 1 so i think i'm going to go ahead and buy it now even though i'm moving in two weeks to California.

will i have any problems registering it, getting tags, etc... since i bought it in Ohio and it was never registered there? any emissions issues to deal with? thanks for the input.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The usual process is for the dealer to register the scoot in the state of purchase and for you to transfer the registration to a new state when you move. You will want to check carefully with California DMV to see what happens if you show up with an unregistered scoot and an out of state bill of sale. They may have other documentation requirements. It may be hard for you to claim, for instance, that it is a used scoot and not subject to local sales tax if it was never registered elsewhere and presumably has 0 mileage.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Have you contacted the dealer closest to where you'll be moving in CA? They may have what you want in stock or may agree to sell you one at the pre-June 1 price.

Moving and registering here will probably be a pain...
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Well... in IL, my dealer registered my scooter & gave me a temp. plate before it left the dealership.
If your state works the same way, my concern would be that the plates & title would be mailed out after you move.
And.. you would pay registration in your current state & then again two weeks later.

Contacting the local dealer sounds like a good suggestion - even though he isn’t getting the sale, I would think he would be happy to help because he knows you will be coming to him for service.
Since you are talking to the calif. dealer anyway.. I would tell him the price you have now, ask him about the price increase & he might be willing to hold that price for you... & save you the trouble of transporting your buddy & the registration hassle -

Good luck & have a safe move.