Yet another mirror question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mandyscoots

Yet another mirror question

Post by mandyscoots »

I am looking into buying longer mirrors for my 2007 buddy. The ones I am looking at are 10" in length. Does that seem too long? I don't even know what length my are that I have now.

I also need to know if any of you know the size of the screw. The ones I am looking at are 10mm screw ons, with 3/8" thread.

Any help would be greatly appericated. Here is the link.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/OMIX-REPLACEME ... _10111.jcw
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I've got the longer mirrors, they help alot to people who buy them.

The mirrors right from scooterworks buddy section should fit on there already.
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

I replaced my 2007 stock mirrors with a pair of 2008 stock mirrors. The only difference is that they have longer stems and now I can actually see behind me! Cost for the pair was $22 through my local dealer.

The only problem was that after waiting 2 weeks for the order to come in, they sent the 2007 size. :( So my dealer just took a set off of a 2008 buddy on the display floor and gave them to me. :D
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

MarsR wrote:I replaced my 2007 stock mirrors with a pair of 2008 stock mirrors. The only difference is that they have longer stems and now I can actually see behind me! Cost for the pair was $22 through my local dealer.

The only problem was that after waiting 2 weeks for the order to come in, they sent the 2007 size. :( So my dealer just took a set off of a 2008 buddy on the display floor and gave them to me. :D
Same here- I've been waiting 2 months for them to come in at the dealer, so they have told me they'll swap some out for me too!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The mirrors from JC Whitney probably won't work—the right mirror needs to be reverse threaded. There were some posts about replacing mirrors way back when (see below).

Your best bet are the longer-stem Genuine mirrors. But there are some alternatives. The Buddy stems are 8mm, but you can get an adapter or tap the mounts (which is a pain).

Yamaha Vino mirrors will fit. The Vino 50 mirrors are round, the 125s are oblong.

Some Kymco mirrors may also fit.

One member put Vespa GTS mirrors on his Bud and said they just screwed right in. Why this is the only Vespa model with reverse-threaded right mirrors is a mystery to me.

There are some mirror extenders out there, but need to meet the same 8mm/reverse right specs.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
tempalte

Post by tempalte »

I put a bar end mirror on my Blur and couldn't be happier. I would bet it would fit on the Buddy too.

see: http://www.windmeadow.com/node/52
mandyscoots

Post by mandyscoots »

jfrost2 wrote:I've got the longer mirrors, they help alot to people who buy them.

The mirrors right from scooterworks buddy section should fit on there already.
Everyone keeps telling me about the ones from scooterworks but I can't find them.
Do you have a link?
Thanks so much!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

I did a search & cant find it. I am looking for a double mirror thread.
It will look like this. New Parts Needed Existing Mirrors, I assume
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Scooterworks in Chicago

http://www.scooterworks.com/
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

kilted texan wrote:I did a search & cant find it. I am looking for a double mirror thread.
It will look like this. New Parts Needed Existing Mirrors, I assume
kilted, did you ever find the parts you're looking for? I have both the long and short stem mirrors, but I'm having a hard time finding nuts, particularly the reverse threaded right-side mirror. I was wondering if the Yamaha Vino converter (from 8mm to 10mm) would work?

I know some of you have double sets of mirrors and I've read all the mirror threads going back to 2006...any ideas from anyone who did it? Both scooterworks and my local shop said "good luck with that" after trying to help.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Check out this thread for the double mirrors:

topic2182.html

Try PM'ing tWharton. Maybe he/she can help you.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

k1dude wrote:Check out this thread for the double mirrors:

topic2182.html
Yeah that's where I got the idea originally. I even pm'd twharton who was very nice to reply, but there is no explanation about how the mirrors are attached on the right side. And Scoot Richmond has nothing on their site now that they're so busy.

I also don't have a windshield (and don't intend on getting one unless scooterworks comes out with a tall one that fits the 2008) so the extension that fits into the original right side mirror hole is a problem, too.

Anyone do it w/o a windshield? Where did you get your reverse thread nuts? I've been scouring bolt/nut sites, even visited an old-timey hardware store here and no luck :(