Trick to Locking Steering Column?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bruce13

Trick to Locking Steering Column?

Post by bruce13 »

Hi,

I am not having good luck getting my steering column to lock on my 08 Buddy? I read some threads about people wrecking their ignitions by doing this incorrectly? I seem to be able to open the seat, no problem. :D Does anybody have any good pointers? :oops:
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

my best guess is that the trick to not busting it is that you don't force it. turn the wheel to the left to lock it. mine locks a hair short of it's max range to the left.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

Turn the steering column all the way to the left and put some slight pressure on the key to try an lock it. Keeping the pressure on the key slowly turn the steering column to the right until the key turns and the column locks. That should do it!
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You may have to wiggle the handlebars back and forth a bit while turning the key to the left. There's a little bit of a trick to it, but once you get it, it's easy. Just don't try to force anything!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bruce13

Unlocking?

Post by bruce13 »

Awesome. I will try it. I was just afraid that I might damage the ignition by forcing it. How about unlocking it safely? :oops:
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

Mine needs a wiggle to lock but it unlocks really smoothly. You'll get the hang of it!
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

I need to gently wiggle my handlebar slighlty while the key is moved to the lock position. Almost doing it simultaneously.

I think it is something you will get the feel of as you do it.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Doing it daily, you can become a pro at this and do it is less than a second.

Just tilt the steering wheel ALMOST all the way left and turn the key to the lock, you might need to jiggle the steering to get it into the right spot.

Another way is to stick the key in, have the handle bars centered straight, and sowly turn both at the same time, turn them at the same rate and your key will lock all the way and will lock the steering column too, then kick pop it out.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Mine wouldn't work at all until I oiled it with some WD40. After that, a slight wiggle and it locks/unlocks smoothly.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Other people here have complained that there's something wrong with their steering lock, but every motorcycle and scooter I've ever seen is the same, it needs to be nudged back a little from full-stop before it can be locked/unlocked. I imagine there's a reason for that.

(Look out, he's going to tell a vintage Vespa story…) I have a '65 Vespa that, if you unlock it, straighten out the bars, then lock it again, it'll turn freely until you make a tight left turn, then the steering column locks up. That's pretty scary.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.