Buddy trunks

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rkorson

Buddy trunks

Post by rkorson »

Have been waiting and waiting to get a trunk for my Buddy. I was told that my local scooter store in Brooklyn had them in stock. So I went down to the store and got a to see the new BUDDY trunk/box up close. It is a total piece of junk. One pothole in NYC and it would probably shatter. It was made soooo cheaply. I did buy a rack for the back of the bike and will probably get a Givi box to mount on the rack.
notselfcreated

Post by notselfcreated »

Actually, this is a question of mine as well, though I might be thinking of something slightly different. Is it possible to attach a mini-trailer to the back of the Buddy? Are there such trailers made which don't cost as much as the Buddy itself?
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

I'm going to install my Givi e30 trunk onto the back of Frenchy as soon as I get the back rack. I saw a picture once of a Givi trunk on the back of a Buddy. I hope the brake-light wiring will work, too. :roll:
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
sparty

Post by sparty »

rkorson, I am going to pick up my top case later this week.. I hope it's not as bad as you thought. What's wrong with it exactly.. plastic too thin?
Keys

Post by Keys »

Actually, my Buddy seems to be more in favor of speedos than trunks...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
sparty

Post by sparty »

I got the top case. The shell seems to be the same material as the regular glossy Buddy body panel?
dru_

Post by dru_ »

Keys wrote:Actually, my Buddy seems to be more in favor of speedos than trunks...

--Keys 8)
So long as it's not a thong!
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

dru_ wrote:
Keys wrote:Actually, my Buddy seems to be more in favor of speedos than trunks...

--Keys 8)
So long as it's not a thong!
eeeewwww :shock:
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I have put 200 miles on my scooter since installing the Buddy topcase. It's not a Givi but I wanted pink to match my scoot. It's also not more than $100 so I guess you get what you pay for. I'm happy with it.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I read in another thread, ( that I can't find right now of course) that Genuine recommends a black topcase for the Cream Buddy. If so I'm thinking of going with a flat black Givi e33 with backrest and tail light on a chrome rack. How do you think this would look? I'm not familiar with Givi but they seem to have a good reputation. I'm also considering a chrome front rack to make use of those knockouts that I just cant stand! I refuse to do a basket! Thanks for the comments all! and I'd love to see some photos too!

BR Not-David
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
sparty

Post by sparty »

I cannot believe nobody have ordered a front rack yet! I like front racks, but I am not sure how it will look on my Buddy. Also, does anyone know of a way to cover the mounting holes if I do get a rack and want to remove it for whatever reason? It would be rather silly to have two holes in the front of hte scooter....
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

I've ordered a chrome front rack, but it's not in yet. I promise pics, & a review as soon as it's on.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

sparty wrote:I cannot believe nobody have ordered a front rack yet! I like front racks, but I am not sure how it will look on my Buddy. Also, does anyone know of a way to cover the mounting holes if I do get a rack and want to remove it for whatever reason? It would be rather silly to have two holes in the front of hte scooter....
I was thinking the same thing. I would probably cover the holes with some running lights and wire them into the headlight. Can you have too many lights? I don't think so! Might be a use for that headlight switch too

BR Not-David
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
sparty

Post by sparty »

Not sure about other top cases... but the Buddy one is rather unpolished :-(

Also, what's the point of that stupid red gel-sticker thing... is it even reflective? If not, what's the point.....
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

Yeah, I am a little dissapointed in the quality of the case too. The Rack is nice, but the case could be a littler better.

It rattles badly and I have a hard time getting it to close at times also. The flimsy plastic warps when you close it with a full load so the lock does not catch. You need to "push it around" to get it to close.

Not sure if I will keep it or try to sell it at this point. It is easy to remove and put the old back silver piece back on, so I may just put the topcase/rack combo on when I need to use it.
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

Well hearing about the quality of the case has convinced me not to buy it. I'll go for a Givi I guess.
Can anyone advise a good site to order Givi cases online?
Thx.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

If you're not committed to the Givi bags, a more wallet-friendly option are the trunks from JC Whitney. Sure, they don't look qute as nice, but they cost considerably less! I've used them on my last two motorcycles and they held up just fine rain or shine- even surviving a couple of drops.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I am not getting a trunk for my Buddy because I don’t want one, no other reason, but I have to say something about the Givi; Last night I just put a Givi trunk on my wife’s scoot, a People 150 and I must say the Givi is an excellent trunk. The attention to detail is amazing for such a simple device and would consider purchasing any of their products in the future if that trunk represents their quality. The model we got only comes in Black and Silver so it would not color match our colored Buddies.... just had to say the Givi is good.
sparty

Post by sparty »

I wished I knew that before I bought my case.... I hope Genuine learns this and improve the quality in the future.
dwnthehatch

Post by dwnthehatch »

ScooterMonkey wrote:Well hearing about the quality of the case has convinced me not to buy it. I'll go for a Givi I guess.
Can anyone advise a good site to order Givi cases online?
Thx.
I ordered a E30N from:
http://rlmotorcycles.com/home/Accessori ... nolock.htm

Thay had it to me in a few days.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

sparty wrote:... does anyone know of a way to cover the mounting holes if I do get a rack and want to remove it for whatever reason? It would be rather silly to have two holes in the front of hte scooter....
One word.....DAGMARS!
www.teamscootertrash.com

BoneGirl

Rear rack seat rub

Post by BoneGirl »

I've noticed after a week where the rear rack is bolted into the Buddy it rubs the seat. I have a white seat and you can see where it is going to be a problem if it continues to rub. The dealer suggested removing the staples of the seat cover and using a dremel tool to carve out a space in the seat so it doesn't rub any longer. Not real thrilled about that option. So I'm going to work on it.

PS My husband put on the tall windshield, chrome rear rack and chrome front rack on his Buddy last night for the weekly group ride. He is really happy with all three.
sparty

Post by sparty »

Any idea how to stop the rattling? I don't notice it in high speed, but it's really annoying at low speed. Is it between the trunk and the rack, or between the lids?? The quality left a lot to be desired, but I like the color of the case.