Buddys and Cultural Connections

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

charltons

Post by charltons »

I noticed a lot of NPR listeners- I knew there was a reason I was attracted to a scooter instead of a cycle! I do miss NPR in the AM- I'm going to have to fix that.

It would be interesting to see how many drink Starbucks and use Macs. Sounds like a demographic.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

charltons wrote:I noticed a lot of NPR listeners- I knew there was a reason I was attracted to a scooter instead of a cycle! I do miss NPR in the AM- I'm going to have to fix that.

It would be interesting to see how many drink Starbucks and use Macs. Sounds like a demographic.
Lots of MINI Cooper drivers in that demographic as well, I've noticed. At least so far as the Mac goes. I look at the scooter as being the MINI of motorcycles. Terribly practical, more useful than you would have ever imagined, and more fun that ought to be allowed. As for Starbucks, I would actually be more expectant of scooterists to frequent independent coffee houses and be aficionados fine, independently brewed beer.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I don't drink Starbucks or use a mac, but the lady who works at the Starbucks by my house drives a SI buddy. :whew:
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
charltons

Post by charltons »

NathanielSalzman wrote:[ As for Starbucks, I would actually be more expectant of scooterists to frequent independent coffee houses and be aficionados fine, independently brewed beer.
I can live with that, especially the beer part. While not an expert, I know I like the independently brewed and specialty beers a lot better than American. We don't have a mini, but we do have a Scion Xb - does that count?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

NPR
Mac
Local coffeehouse (but Starbucks as well)
Definitely microbrews or at least beer that can't be found in the grocery store
I'd love to own a Mini, but will likely buy a Scion for our next cage
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Dislike ----- NPR :evil:
Love ------- Micro Brews :goofy:
Drink ------ Instant Coffee :yawn:
Drive ------ My Buddy, I dont need anything else!... well maybe somethine else with two wheels and goes a little faster... Honda CBR 600RR perhaps? :twisted:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I split this topic from another thread. It seemed like an interesting side-topic so thought it deserved its own space...
NathanielSalzman wrote:
charltons wrote:I noticed a lot of NPR listeners- I knew there was a reason I was attracted to a scooter instead of a cycle! I do miss NPR in the AM- I'm going to have to fix that.

Lots of MINI Cooper drivers in that demographic as well, I've noticed. At least so far as the Mac goes. I look at the scooter as being the MINI of motorcycles. Terribly practical, more useful than you would have ever imagined, and more fun that ought to be allowed. As for Starbucks, I would actually be more expectant of scooterists to frequent independent coffee houses and be aficionados fine, independently brewed beer.
Starbucks is kind of like McDonalds at this point. I bet you could connect Starbucks to most socioeconomic groups outside rural Amercia.

Through nothing but various threads on forums, anecdotal evidence and some web stats from ModernVespa, a lot of people have noted correlations between scooter ownership and Macs (highly disproportionate # of people browse the forums with Mac browsers); Mini Coopers, VWs, other small, economical cars like the Smart; employment in creative professions; employment in engineering/science/IT; and so on.

Interestingly enough (or not), I think the Buddy is one of the leaders in broadening the traditional scooterist demo in the U.S. thanks to its price, performance, the economy and rising gas prices. It just has a much wider appeal than a $5-$6K Vespa. I noticed early on that a lot of members here didn't fit the usual scooterist mold. They came from different income levels and backgrounds, weren't as concentrated in urban areas, and were less likely to be into traditional scooter culture. They tended to be younger than the average ModernVespa member, too.

Despite what some of the scooter snobs may say, I see this as a good thing. It means that scooters are more accepted as a viable form of transportation, that the market is growing, and that they're no longer a niche product. Hopefully as the market grows there will be more demand for different types of scooters as well.

Someone once posted asking if there was a "Buddy culture" the way that it could be said there is a vintage scooter culture or a Vespa culture. I didn't really think so at the time, because we seem to have much less in common—and even less so as more people buy Buddys and join the forum. I now think that while we diverge many superficial (computer, car, music, personal style) and non-scooter (politics, religion, other banned topics) tastes and beliefs that we're still bound by an appreciation for the basics of the Buddy and other Genuine scoots: a high-quality, fun to ride vehicle that's economical and gets killer MPGs.

Regardless of why you got into scootering, you gotta love that.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I almost never listen to the radio or watch TV, so not too sure about the NPR... Also dislike most if not all beer (regardless of who makes it). I do like daiquiris, ciders, smirnoff ice, and various other fruity beverages... Love the taste of coffee but rarely drink it since the caffeine makes the joints in my hands cramp up. I use Macs at school and a PC at home which I set up like a mac with the left dock and large single-click icons. I don't have a car, just my bud. If I did, it would most definitely be something small with a hatchback (Scion xA or Honda fit). I guess I pretty-much fit in... :roll:
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

UPDATE:

NPR - American Life and Click and Clack stand out the most for me, but I do listen to others. Thanks sarge, I forgot about these: "Fresh Air," "All Things Considered, "Marian McPartland: PianoJazz,"

Blues and Jazz (WBGO.org) and I still love Rock and roll but it’s when I need to satiate quickly and don’t want to be patient.

I watch some Baseball.

I ride a bicycle, run, and kayak for both health and enjoyment.

<deleted because my acid loving girlfriend thought young people might get the wrong idea about alcohol and operating a motor vehicle. Which I am not suggesting in anyway is a good thing to do. Be safe and always conform. That’s how great societies are built, and ________.>

I'm eyeing the Mini Clubman. Don't know much about them though.

I'm concerned about those who have no voice. I'm especially concerned about animals and small people - children that is, not those annoying adults under 5' 5".

In the newspaper I read mostly science, health, and film related stuff and anything that has my attention at that time.

I love to learn about other people and just saw a fantastic Documentary about Desmond Doss on Netflix instant. There are very few people I admire and respect, but this gentleman was one very beautiful human.

Thanks Mr. Doss for your integrity and sacrifice.
Last edited by kazoo on Wed May 21, 2008 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

NPR - usually a member but let my last membership expire to offset the cost of my new scooter

beer - give me microbrews or guinness or give me death!

computer - linux. only.

coffee - starbucks grudgingly. It's close and I like a nice coffee for my long commute. At home it's 100% peet's

Vehicles - 1 x Budy 125, 1 x MP3 500, 1 x Nissan Murano. 3 vhicles, 3 CVT transmissions ;-)
Ms. Milan

Post by Ms. Milan »

NPR - on rare occasions

Coffee - Lighthouse cafe, Milan, MI. they have the best Lattes. They remind me of the Cafe con Leche my grandma used to make. But if I am out and about and want coffee, I do go to Starbucks.

Computer - Mac

Microbrews - I don't drink

Vehicles - Buddy Pamplona and Honda Minivan. (just traded in my Element).
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

--Definitely NPR: "Car Talk," "This American Life," "Fresh Air," "The Story," "All Things Considered, "Tavis Smiley," "Wait Wait...," "Marian McPartland: PianoJazz," and Dick Buckley, to name a few.

--CPT Radio (Chicago Progressive Talk)
--VW family (Golf and Passat Wagon)
--Mac family
--Independent coffeeshops and Dunkin Donuts (:P)
--Microbrews for sure...although some are not so micro anymore: Anchor Steam & Bell's Oberon (can't get it in Chicago anymore!!!) to name just two favorites...LOVE Mirror Pond, but can't get it in the Midwest.
--Maker's Mark :D
--Member of CSA from May-October
--Foodie (will splurge for good eats)
--Cheap travel
--Camping, canoeing, hiking
--Cats&Dogs
ladyofthelake

half and half

Post by ladyofthelake »

NPR: in th AM on occasion
Coffee: family gets care packages from Italy with coffee beans...make espresso daily with the old fashioned pots, so yummy and viciously loaded with caffeine!!!!
MAC: not very familiar
Beer: I love a dark beer, but mostly wine! Favorite is Purple Trillium made in cincy...who knew?
Car: dumb SUV!!! :evil:
Ken82

Post by Ken82 »

i don't really fall into any of these categoriese...

npr "this american life" can be decent...

i like all kinds of beer...

im pc for life...macs are too pretty for a rugged thug!!!

i don't drive a car and haven't forever...

and i only listen to the blackest and most brutal of metal...hahaha
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Ken82 wrote:and i only listen to the blackest and most brutal of metal...hahaha
My acid dropping girlfriend told me to delete my original comment.
ScooterMcGee

Post by ScooterMcGee »

Computer-P.C. (Acer to be exact)....We use Dells at work... (Dude....Your getting a shitty computer).

Coffee- Have you had the soy Machiado?.....Change your life...Actually Im a dunkin donuts man.

Radio- Air America...I needs mah liberal radio....I NEEDS IT!!!!!

Beer- Anything Avery, Live oak , real ale, Alagash, Victory,Anchor,Left hand,
Delirium, Unibrau, And many other fine brews. Im big on beglians.

Music. Rockabilly, punk, country, Gogol bordello(couldn't find a category for them).
And if the county we invented will fall from grace
I guess we'll have to fly away in our own space...Think Locally ..F*ck Globally
I was once asked If I were a tattoo what would I be?... I responded Id be a teardrop Tattoo under a bloodshot eye.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Ken82 wrote: and i only listen to the blackest and most brutal of metal...hahaha
Word. :evil: :twisted:
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

I just got back from a roadtrip to Colorado where I drank all day during various brewery tours and listened to nothing but Motörhead at the cabin. In the morning I drank generic instant coffee and actually listened to an A&E biography on Abraham Lincoln on tape.

Oh, and I used a work laptop (PC) to peruse Modern Buddy.
ScooterMcGee

Post by ScooterMcGee »

Badbrains.....If you got to tour the Avery brewery I am going to have to hate you now...Just FYI
I was once asked If I were a tattoo what would I be?... I responded Id be a teardrop Tattoo under a bloodshot eye.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterMcGee wrote:Gogol bordello(couldn't find a category for them).
Gypsycore?

Me, well, I fit the stereotype: NPR news, This American Life, etc. (I freakin' hate Prairie Home Companion, though.); Starbucks (too lazy/bourgeois to brew my own); creative professional; beer, yes (raised on Shiner, microbrews give me a headache); small, economical, unique non-Mini car (Volvo C30); indie rock.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SarahScoot

Post by SarahScoot »

Let's see... I am still not officially endorsed, nor have I taken the MSF class (little more than a week...), so I still ride the bus the short distance from home to downtown Seattle, which means lots of NPR <i>podcasts</i>, including This American Life, Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me!, Car Talk, Fresh Air, and WNYC's Radio Lab. I do use a MacBook, and was a barista, most recently for a local of cupcake/coffee company with 3 Seattle locations :-) Husband works for Starbucks (corporate), but we prefer to go to my former place of employment for our coffee and tea fixes. So I suppose that's almost all three checked off there... but I'm not sure if it's symptomatic of a scooter owner or just a Seattleite!
Ken82

Post by Ken82 »

haha car talk kind of drives me insane...no pun..
Ken82

Post by Ken82 »

id also like to add to KAZOO that your acid dropping girlfriend sounds cool!

haha
amanda_c

Post by amanda_c »

I hate to be part of a demographic, which, apparently is what people in my demographic say about demographics.

Computer = We love Linux! (But we have to deal with Windows...)
Coffee = Indie
NPR = Morning til night.
Front Lawn= Drought Tolerant plantings
Supermarket = Trader Joe's
(My whole paycheck is too small for Whole Paycheck Market, but I do envy their beautiful, beautiful produce.)

Ick! I'm so gosh darned predictable. :cry: Maybe I should go out and buy a Hummer or start listening to Clear Channel radio just to mess with the demographers. :twisted:
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Ken82 wrote:id also like to add to KAZOO that your acid dropping girlfriend sounds cool!

haha
She's okay, she doesn't say very much . . . just kinda hums and buzzes her way around the apartment. We ask very little of each other. She only gets really insane when I play "Annies Song" by J.D.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

NOOOOO!!!!! Not King Diamond!!!! :shock:

I mean, I can handle some older Merciful Fate for a little while,
but the new stuff is even crappier... no offense... :roll:
ScooterMcGee

Post by ScooterMcGee »

They will make everything black...Blackest of the black times infinity
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

"As for Starbucks, I would actually be more expectant of scooterists to frequent independent coffee houses and be aficionados fine, independently brewed beer"

eeks I feel like a stereotype.
although I got weaned from NPR before I got the Buddy (b/c I moved a mile from work). I loved that Car Talk show on the weekend- Is that still on? I would love a scoot version
ScooterMcGee

Post by ScooterMcGee »

What I love about car talk is the guys...They were the DJ's in groundhog day.
Othergods

Post by Othergods »

Ken82 wrote:haha car talk kind of drives me insane...no pun..
Now that is what I am talking about hehe

Have not listened to NPR yet, DLed some of the podcast stuff, but I do like This American Life. We have a local show (on xm also) The Phillips File I like.
I drink Starbucks, not the fancy shmancy stuff they mix, just give me a fresh brewed bold coffee and I am happy, I do brew it at home most days.
Beer- Like alot of beer, micros are great, if I am just grabbing some beers for a normal weekend it is Becks or Hieneken.
Tanqueray Gin is my liquor of choice.
My cage is a little Toyota Tacoma
Music- Industrial, EBM, 80's Metal (Iron Maiden/King Diamond).
Sports- only really the NFL (Cowboys fan)
Know the truth: WM3.org

ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Use my macbook when I want to use a computer
Use my PCs for work
No coffee (coke in the morning... breakfast of________)
No NPR (its dangerous to fall asleep while driving (kidding... not really.... or am I?))
VW (cabrio), Subaru subaru legacy wagon (traded in my Durango SUV 2 years ago, thank god)
CNN (NOT Fox)
Beer - Miller Lite in the summer & Killian's in the winter
Tequila (winter) & Rum (summer) - cuervo gold & meyer's dark rum (not a big fan of the real fancy stuff)
Chicago Cubs (its been 100 years... this century is ours!)
The Simpsons
Music - The Brother Whys (cheap plug for my son's band http://www.myspace.com/thebrotherwhys ) Kind of like Weezer meets The Pixies
Last edited by ScootLemont on Wed May 21, 2008 2:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

Interestingly enough (or not), I think the Buddy is one of the leaders in broadening the traditional scooterist demo in the U.S. thanks to its price, performance, the economy and rising gas prices. It just has a much wider appeal than a $5-$6K Vespa. I noticed early on that a lot of members here didn't fit the usual scooterist mold. They came from different income levels and backgrounds, weren't as concentrated in urban areas, and were less likely to be into traditional scooter culture. They tended to be younger than the average ModernVespa member, too.
I completely agree. I think Genuine and the Buddy is now what the Vespa was originally intended to be - inexpensive urban transportation with a hefty dose of style and character. Granted, it lacks the aeronautic sensibility of the old Vespa, but what it does have is such a great pulse on what regular scooterists want to ride. Vespa is now much more the Lexus of scooters - very well built, finely appointed, but ultimately you're paying for the label on most of it. I think if Vespa as it is now had just fallen out of the sky and didn't have 60 years of heritage behind its name recognition, it'd be a very different market where non-scooterists would call everything a Buddy.

I adore NPR. It's some of the last good journalism on the planet because they're not owned by some corporation or dependent on advertising dollars. I'll take the pledge drive over slant any day. Love TAL, Fresh Air, and I think you have to live in Minnesota to truly appreciate Prairie Home Companion. Car Talk is funny for about ten minutes and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is even better than The Daily Show.

My car is a 2006 MINI Cooper S. His name is Winston and he is magical.

I don't care where my coffee came from so long as it's brewed strong, not too sharp in body, and has cream/sugar/swiss miss in it. I love cozy little coffee shops with free WiFi.

Except for Sam Adams, I abhor domestic beer that wasn't brewed on the premises or across town.

I am an avid and evangelistic Mac lover. Doesn't hurt that I'm a designer in my professional life. But I used to work an IT help desk in college and seriously, if you're not a computer person, then YOU are the person who ought to have a Mac. Leave the PCs to the über geeks who can hack their way around its many faults.

And I'm a total scooter junkie now. I'm hooked. There's no going back. Riding a scooter feels like flying and I just can't do it enough.

Was somebody talking about headphones?
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

amanda_c wrote:I hate to be part of a demographic, which, apparently is what people in my demographic say about demographics.

Computer = We love Linux! (But we have to deal with Windows...)
Coffee = Indie
NPR = Morning til night.
Front Lawn= Drought Tolerant plantings
Supermarket = Trader Joe's
(My whole paycheck is too small for Whole Paycheck Market, but I do envy their beautiful, beautiful produce.)

Ick! I'm so gosh darned predictable. :cry: Maybe I should go out and buy a Hummer or start listening to Clear Channel radio just to mess with the demographers. :twisted:
Hey, another LA scooterist (to be)! Welcome!

If you really want a Hummer, I hear there are some good deals on them these days. From what I hear, a lot of SUV ads in the LA Times labeled "sacrifice," which I find kind of ironic.

But please buy a scooter instead. NoHo Scooters is The Place!

I definitely prefer Peets for my coffee when one is nearby. Occasionally Groundworks. Our options are limited in my neck of the SFV and, I must admit, a lot of places serve bad coffee, often burned.
Threegoofs

Post by Threegoofs »

NPR Fan - especially podcasts lately. Sometimes a member.

Coffee- Im happy as long as its black and cheap

Beer- Either great microbrews or belgians, if not available, Old Style or Schlitz is as good as BudMiloors

I echo the Cub fan comment, Scoot. Season ticket holder. Centu-repeat this year!

Still confused on scooter purchase. I do know I want a Genuine, tho.
I was told by my wife that I have too much money and not enough hobbies.... or something like that.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Threegoofs wrote:Still confused on scooter purchase. I do know I want a Genuine, tho.
I would go talk to Shawn soon & see what he will let you test drive (before they are all gone)
It sounds like you are looking for a 125 or a 150 now, but if you are still thinking about a 50cc, you are welcome to come take mine for a test drive - As I mentioned... mine is a little modified & it is a Rattler, not a Buddy, but I assume Shawn could do the same thing for a 50cc buddy (same motor?)
Last edited by ScootLemont on Wed May 21, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charltons

Post by charltons »

This has been a cool thread. Thanks, ericalm, for breaking my reply off and starting a new one. I didn't mean to imply that scooterists are a homogenous bunch, but I figured there may be some strong trends. It's interesting to see all the diversity.

I like Starbucks, but I'll drink gas station coffee as well.

I love Macs, but they are overpriced for the typical user. (I teach TV production, and that's where it began)

I love NPR, and miss it on the scoot (I will fix that, thanks Krustyburger for the velcro/headphone idea).
Queen

Post by Queen »

NPR - Yup

Beer - Beamish

Scotch - Glenlivet (neat only!)

Coffee - Brewed at home with freshly ground locally roasted beans (with the stereotypical burr grinder)

Food - As vegetarian, organic, and locally grown as possible

Computer - Luddite here, I have a seven year old Dell laptop

Car - 2001 Ford Ranger
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

I used to like Starbucks, but when Starbucks moved in close to me they ran the three independent coffee shops here into the ground. Two are gone now, and the third one is just barely hanging on by a thread, mostly because they roast their own beans. So the motto in the family is "friends don't let friends drink Starbucks". It is a good cup of coffee though...not worth $5, but good.

Also, I'm PC all the way (sadly). I've met people who don't believe that I'm a graphics designer because I work on a PC, but I work as an in-house graphics/web designer for an IT company so I have to use what they give me. :oops:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

iinigma7 wrote:I've met people who don't believe that I'm a graphics designer because I work on a PC, but I work as an in-house graphics/web designer for an IT company so I have to use what they give me. :oops:
Add me to that list! Actually, for web design, it's not bad to have a PC around. I do mainly print and working on a PC would drive me nuts. :)
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

MikieTaps wrote:
Ken82 wrote: and i only listen to the blackest and most brutal of metal...hahaha
Word. :evil: :twisted:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! \m/ :twisted: \m/ But I listen to other amalgamations of awesome music, too.

I loathe talk radio, but I frequently read NPR transcripts online. Ha!

Coffee is my substance of choice, but I think Starbucks burns their roast. I would love to frequent local coffeehouses like I once did, but I'm watching my budget. My abuela sends me Yaucono brand coffee, and I brew it up at home...nice and STRONG. :shock:

I use a PC, and generally dislike the Mac OS for my own personal use. I can see how the creative types would like it, because it's superior to PCs in that respect. I loathe iTunes and iPods. *shrug* Different strokes, etc.

Microbrews and imports are always preferable to cheap swill, but Shiner Bock is preferable to all. Unless you're buying, and then I'm happy! :D
ModBud #442
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Well, my wife keeps telling me I am on a class of my own . . . now I know I am not alone.

I like indie coffe shops, but will do Starbucks/Caribou when in need. One of my fav websites is www.coffeegeek.com

NPR, yes

Cable, no. I am one of the 7 people in town with no satellite/cable by choice. Have an HD TV and antenna and my favorite shows are the travel shows on PBS. If MOTOGP was a recurring program on cable at a decent hour, I would be tempted to get it just for that

Music, european technopop, regardless the language. From here Meatloaf and 80's

Beer, yes ! Kronnenburg is my favorite but darn hard to find.

I love to eat and to cook. When we built our house, I decided on the kitchen stuff and my wife decided the rest.

Margaritas is as hard a drink as I can take. If you see me drinking anything harder than that during a Rally, please stop me!

I drive a KIA Optima. The only KIA in my neighbourhood and at my 500 employee company parking lot. Good price/quality and yes, would buy it again. Never a problem in 5 years. I love cars, but I can't afford to have all the ones I want, thus, for me a car is just transportation.

And I can't stand brands/logos on my clothing. I hate to advertise for anyone. More important is the feel of the fabric.

Love sailing dinghies and buiding RC sailboats and tugboats.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

EP_scoot wrote:Cable, no. I am one of the 7 people in town with no satellite/cable by choice.
Woohoo! Me too!

But only because I'm a video game nerd, and if I have a free moment I would rather play video games than watch TV any day. :nerd:
maribell

Post by maribell »

NPR: No thanks. Just not my thing. 101X is my radio station of preference in Austin. And for you ATX people, yes I do believe it is good to listen to House of Pain at least once a day

Computer: Windows XP professional. Dislike Mac.

Beer: Mexican, Shiner, or New Belgium. If it has "light" in the name, I refuse to drink it.

Cable: No. TV on DVD? Yes.

Coffee: Local, but will readily consume what ever is available.
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

Now I'm kind of curious to know if there are any homebrewers on here other than myself/ If there are (or even if there aren't) how about a MB beer exchange? I can't get Magic Hat here, and I love me some Magic Hat.
rablack

Post by rablack »

Piedmont wrote:Now I'm kind of curious to know if there are any homebrewers on here other than myself/ If there are (or even if there aren't) how about a MB beer exchange? I can't get Magic Hat here, and I love me some Magic Hat.
Homebrew - $30 for 5 gallons of fresh superior beer. Can't beat it. Almost finished up the last of my Pale Ale while starting a batch of Golden Ale this weekend. I'll be drinking Shiner or one of the many fine St. Arnold's brews while waiting for this one to be ready.

NPR - check (also Pacifica)
Starbuck's - don't support the evil empire (make my own coffee usually)
PC not Mac (someday soon)
'93 Audi S4 (got it cheap) got my eye on a Mini Clubman
TV - only to watch dvds
Omnivore
Scotch - Glenmorangie
Bourbon - Maker's Mark or Knob Creek
Music - make my own

guess I fit the demographic
Scooterist, lawyer, double bassist www.traveler-music.com
Queen

Post by Queen »

rablack wrote: Bourbon - Maker's Mark or Knob Creek
Have you tried Woodford Reserve? Yummy!
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

iinigma7 wrote:I used to like Starbucks, but when Starbucks moved in close to me they ran the three independent coffee shops here into the ground. Two are gone now, and the third one is just barely hanging on by a thread, mostly because they roast their own beans. So the motto in the family is "friends don't let friends drink Starbucks". It is a good cup of coffee though...not worth $5, but good.

Also, I'm PC all the way (sadly). I've met people who don't believe that I'm a graphics designer because I work on a PC, but I work as an in-house graphics/web designer for an IT company so I have to use what they give me. :oops:
My partner and I refer to them as "Starf**cks" because they've done the same to so many indy cafes around us.
ScooterMcGee

Post by ScooterMcGee »

St. arnolds is a fine brewery...and the brewmaster is a hell of a guy
Syd

Post by Syd »

sargelee71 wrote:
iinigma7 wrote:I used to like Starbucks, but when Starbucks moved in close to me they ran the three independent coffee shops here into the ground. ...
My partner and I refer to them as "Starf**cks" because they've done the same to so many indy cafes around us.
Are all these small cafes in strip malls/shopping centers? If so, shame on the center management. There's a strip mall in my neck of the woods with a Gold Bar, which seems like a locally owned place. A few years after opening, the center management allowed a Starbucks to open in the same mall. I can see why Starbucks wanted to be there, because it is a good location, but mall management should be ashamed of themselves for allowing two nearly identical businesses 100 yards from each other.

Even better, about a year after the Starbucks opens, the grocery store in the strip mall remodels and adds Starbucks! so now there's two Starbuckses and the Gold Bar all within 100 yards of each other.

So far the Gold Bar seems to be holding its own, knock wood.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ScooterMcGee

Post by ScooterMcGee »

In Houston there is a starbucks...Across the street from a starbucks....According to Lewis Black...lol