Accessories Installed

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

booleanman

Accessories Installed

Post by booleanman »

Ok so here's some pictures of the Buddy + accessories. I appologize for the poor quality pictures.

You'll notice that Genuine sent me an orange trunk instead of a black one. I assume that's because I was going to get an orange buddy. If you've read my posts, you know how that ended up. Still I'm not going to complain about a free trunk. I'm going to take the scoot in to Scooters Originali sometime in the next few weeks for some maintainance. I think I'll ask them about painting the entire scooter + trunk a new color.

First up is the front rack.

It's actually very sturdy. And if chrome is your thing, you'll probably like it. It wasn't hard to install. The hardest part was popping open the two holes in the front case.

It takes a lot of force to pull the spring loaded rack down. I haven't tried strapping anything to it yet.

Next is the windshield.

This was a major pain to install. As someone pointed out in an earlier post, the instructions are in Italian. Luckily I read Italian. As well as a six year old. With a severe learning disability. But I got the thing on anyway. I'm sure it's not perfectly aligned, but I know it's not going to come off.

Unlike the pictures in the catalog, the black trim does not go all the way around.

You can see how the rig moves the mirrors up and outward. This actually makes the mirrors a lot more usefull. Here's a closer shot:

I was not really big on windshields, but it does make the bike feel a little more stable. I think it's a good add on.

Finally, the trunk.

See how it just sits there like a pumpkin? A closer shot of the trunk shows that it's not the highest quality.

I'm not sure what the goofy red sticker is for. Here's a shot of the trunk open:

And with my helmet in it to give a sense of scale:

Now notice it's not quite big enough to hold my helmet:

That helmet does fit under the seat, though just barely. So the trunk isn't a must have, but I have carried some stuff in it and it does work just fine. Though the trunk feels kinda flimsy, the metal back rack is solid.

I'm willing to bet you could strap a better or larger trunk on there. That said, I don't think the trunk is too small. Let's face it, the Buddy isn't that large of a bike.

So that's it. All the goodies installed. If you have questions, fire away.
Attachments
IMGA0160.jpg
IMGA0160.jpg (44.89 KiB) Viewed 5970 times
- bool
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

First off I've gotta' say that front chrome rack, & the windshield look great! Thanks for the pics.
After seeing the small standard Buddy trunk I've decided to buy a different one.
I have a question about the rear rack the trunk is on. Can you tell me the dimensions? I'm curious as to what size trunk I could attach to it.
Thx. :)
rajron

Post by rajron »

Thanx for the pics – your scoot looks great!
I’m not a chrome type of person either but that front rack looks really good against the black scoot.
I also like the short windshield – do you like it? Does it offer wind protection to the arms and hands?? And, where does the screen divert the wind, does it go to your face or neck?? I have never, and nor do I expect to in the near future learn to read Italian other than foods – did the screen come with pictures or schematics?
booleanman

Post by booleanman »

I'm not sure about the dimensions of the rack. I'll have to take a look at it in the morning. I do remember that it doesn't stick out very far. Going with a different trunk is not a bad choice. I'm sure you could put a different trunk on there but I'm not sure how large of a trunk you can put on a bike this small before it starts looking silly.

As far as the windshield goes, it throws the wind up into your face. Since I have a full face helmet, I really can't judge how much force you'd feel on your face. It defintely makes the ride sound different. I can't say the screen does much for your hands, but there's some arm protection. The big change is you don't feel anything against your chest and I do think it makes the bike feel more stable.

As for the instructions, the front rack didn't come with any. It's not a big deal though, it's easy to work out. The trunk comes with decent instructions though it could be a lot better. The windscreen intructions are rough regardless of what language you read. That installation was trial and error.
- bool
rajron

Post by rajron »

In the meantime I caught up with some reading on your experience with the Buddy – WOW. You are a patient one.
I also took a closer look at your pics on the windshield install – I think I can figure it out ...... I will be needing thicker gloves.
Any way good luck with the scoot, as for me I have put on 1800 miles without a hitch hopefully you will also experience the trouble free fun most of us have been having.
Oh by the way what color were you thinking of painting the scoot?
booleanman

Post by booleanman »

I've been riding the buddy as my sole vehicle for about a month and I have not been kind to it. So far it's holding up just fine. Depending on how the bike feels at higher speeds with the windshield, I may be tempted to try some larger roads and see how far I can push things.

As far as what color, I'm good with most anything. Purple, red, green, blue, yellow. I just don't care for the silver-black plastic combo. Even all black would be fine, though I'd like color that's easier to see during the day.
- bool
ellen

Post by ellen »

Is that red sticker on the topbox a reflector?
booleanman

Post by booleanman »

Not that I've seen. It pretty much looks like a sticker to me. You can see in the picture with my helmet in the trunk that the flash makes the reflective flames on my helmet light up. Not so much for the sticker.
- bool
sparty

Post by sparty »

The sticker has this weird red color that I am embrassassed to ride around in. I think I will rip out the sticker and replace it with a reflective tape.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

LOVE the chrome. Maybe they'll do a full chrome kit with legshield and cowl pieces. Might be nice to trick out a Buddy vintage style... haven't ever seen that on an Asian scoot!

From what I see here and have read in other threads, the top case is a disappointment. Looks very quickly designed and produced. If the rear rack is as sturdy as you say, a Givi may be the way to go.

Does the windshield extend the mirrors past the handlebars? If so, that's a bit weird and problematic for those reckless California lane-splitters (whoever they may be). :twisted:
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote: Does the windshield extend the mirrors past the handlebars? If so, that's a bit weird and problematic for those reckless California lane-splitters (whoever they may be). :twisted:
Looks like it might; however, it also looks like the tabs the mirrors are mounted on can be adjusted to different positions so that the mirrors are a bit more inboard. On the other hand, why worry about what's behind you? :wink:

I need one of those windshields ASAP!
germ

Post by germ »

So how well does the windsheild work while riding? Does it keep the wind off of your body?
booleanman

Post by booleanman »

I sitll haven't had the opportunity to take the buddy + windshield on a major road, so I'm not really sure how much wind the shield does block. I can tell you though that in the 25-40 mph range I can hardly feel anything. You do get a very different sound riding though. You can hear the shield cutting into the wind.
- bool
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

germ wrote:So how well does the windsheild work while riding? Does it keep the wind off of your body?
Most windshields redirect the wind so that it hits you either high on the chest or above, depending on the size of windshield and your height/stance. It's also fairly easy to cut down a windshield to better suit you.

Windshields may be the best and most economical bang for your bucks mod. They will up your MPH and MPG. Some riders don't like them, but they take some getting used to. This will surely be one of the first accessories we put on our Buddy.
tinalee123

Post by tinalee123 »

The great guys over at Scooterville in Minneapolis received their supply of accessories in. So, yesterday, I was outfitted with a new windshield, back rack and front basket. I went black for the rack and basket vs. chrome. I am loving it!! Sweet husband got a windshield for his Black Cat, too.

My windshield is the same as the one booleanman has. The protection was very noticeable while riding home in 50 degree :wtf: weather. The rearview mirrors are slightly projected further out to the sides, which, I think is a good thing.

Photos to follow...
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

I also just installed the small windshield. As booleanman said, it's a very different sound - very much like I imagine a wind tunnel would sound like. It's not strong until you hit about 45 smiles per hour, but at that point you can't really hear the purr of the engine. I haven’t really opened it up yet, but I hope to see what it adds to my top end this weekend.

The small windshield noticeably deflects wind away from your chest. It hits me right in the helmet (which is probably why it's louder). If I sit more upright, it is not as loud. This will teach me to better my posture :wink: .

As I said, I just installed this last night. I took pictures but just haven't had the time to put them together yet. It is fairly self explanatory, but there are some things you have to get just so. The most important thing to note is that each side is threaded different. Left tightens clockwise. Right tightens counter-clockwise. So make sure you get the correct bolt in the correct side.

WORD OF WARNING!!! - I'm not 100% satisfied with the quality of the included hardware. I got everything installed and decided it was a little off, so I went to readjust. I loosened the left side, got it in the right place, and in re-tightening I torqued the top off the bolt. So, for the moment, I'm riding without a left mirror. As far I'm concerned, if they provided better (stainless steel) bolts, this wouldn't have happened. Just be careful not to do what I did.
big calm

Post by big calm »

Here I is.........
Attachments
top case.jpg
top case.jpg (83.69 KiB) Viewed 5684 times
booleanman

Post by booleanman »

Where did you get the swanky mirrors?
- bool
paige

Post by paige »

Yeah, swanky!
big calm

Post by big calm »

They're Malaguti mirrors. $21.99 each. Got them from Moxie Scooters.

http://www.moxiescooters.com

also got the top case from there too.

OSU 35
PSU 10....
get bent Joe Pa...........
Attachments
back view.jpg
back view.jpg (81.4 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
sparty

Post by sparty »

Here's my Buddy. Took the pictures when I went to another motorcycle ride... lots of fun!
Attachments
Buddy back
Buddy back
buddy_back.JPG (70.04 KiB) Viewed 5066 times
Buddy Front
Buddy Front
buddy_front.JPG (66.47 KiB) Viewed 5074 times
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

sparty wrote:Here's my Buddy. Took the pictures when I went to another motorcycle ride... lots of fun!
Looks great! The orange/black color combo looks outstanding 8)

I really like the look of the rear rack too- might have to get one even though I don't really need a topcase.
sparty

Post by sparty »

Look at the kid in the back... he's like 'what the heck is that THING???' :shock:
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

sparty wrote:Look at the kid in the back... he's like 'what the heck is that THING???' :shock:
He's thinking- "somebody got their HOG wet and it shrank!" :P
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Checked out the Buddy top rack today. Looks like we'll be getting a Givi. The plastic is not good. The hinges weak. The "sticker" should have been SOME kind of reflector. And on the one I looked at, the logo sticker on the top was peeling off already.
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

can you guys with the windscreens tell me the measurement of the medium screen up from the headlight? I am wondering if I should get the medium one or cut down a large one.
thanks.
Last edited by mlee10018 on Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee
sparty

Post by sparty »

ericalm wrote:Checked out the Buddy top rack today. Looks like we'll be getting a Givi. The plastic is not good. The hinges weak. The "sticker" should have been SOME kind of reflector. And on the one I looked at, the logo sticker on the top was peeling off already.
I agree with that! The logo was peeling off on mine too... and I did replace the reddish sticker witha reflective one. Somebody should tell Genuine about the quality of the accessories. The Buddy itself sems like a great vehicle, but the cheapish accessories is not helping its popularity.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

sparty wrote:I agree with that! The logo was peeling off on mine too... and I did replace the reddish sticker witha reflective one. Somebody should tell Genuine about the quality of the accessories. The Buddy itself sems like a great vehicle, but the cheapish accessories is not helping its popularity.
I'd be shocked if Genuine did not know about the quality issues with the top case. They made some mighty fine accessories for the Stella. I suspect it was a rush job to get them to market or that they simply took substandard BuBu cases and slapped Genuine stickers on them.

I'm kind of hoping something better is in the works. Maybe that's being overly optimistic.
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

Ok, so I finally got my Windshield, & chrome front rack yesterday. I think they look great. The windshield & chrome give it a nice "retro" boost to it's looks IMO.
ScooterInvasion gave me a free install on the windshield. I did the front rack myself, & it was a snap. It took less than 5 minutes to do. The hardest part was cutting out the plastic circles w/o damaging the rest of the(very soft) plastic. Easy install, no problems.
I had planned to get the mid-size windshield w/o the hand protectors, but when I saw it I realised it was virtually the same size as the small one. So I went big, & oh man is that thing big :shock: I like it, it cuts the wind down to almost nothing. Once winter hits, & the temp drops to a frigid 60-70 degrees :mrgreen: it's really gonna' be nice.
But damn it's big. It kinda' looms over me, & I'd like to cut it down just a bit. Can anyone advise the best way to go about doing this w/o destroying it?
The rear racks weren't delivered,& are on "back order" per Genuine(so another couple months wait? :cry: ). So does anyone know where I could order a chrome rear rack?
Attachments
Oh yeah, I also got some Pirelli SL26 tires a few days ago. Brutus feels so much uh grippy-er now, very nice tires.
Oh yeah, I also got some Pirelli SL26 tires a few days ago. Brutus feels so much uh grippy-er now, very nice tires.
Windshield resize1.jpg (96.87 KiB) Viewed 5402 times
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

there is this on the modern vespa site about cutting down a windscreen...

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic5052.html
Lee
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

ScooterMonkey wrote:So does anyone know where I could order a chrome rear rack?
Yikes!! Is that windshield ever TALL! Why don't you try riding with it for a couple of days before you cut it down. Once you cut it there's no going back! I really like the looks of the front rack. You could try Scooterworks for the rear rack... they ship pretty quickly.
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

Thx. for posting that link. The description there is excellent & has convinced me to cut my windshield down. :clap:
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

Shellee, thx for the common sense. Normally I would do just as you suggested & wait a bit. However I am made uncomfortable by looking through rather than over my windshield, & am worried about it causing poor visibility in case it ever rains again in Arizona :rofl:
I'll give Scooterworks a shot.
hangukhurley

Givi e30 Topcase and Brake Light Installation

Post by hangukhurley »

Woo Hoo!!!! I have my Givi e30 trunk and brakelight installed! :clown: I'll try to post pictures tomorrow (my camera needs to recharge tonight).

My husband was surprised by how much he had to dismantle to install the brake light kit. He needed to remove (in this order):

1. side plastic panel underneath the left floor board (to remove this panel remove the three screws in the floorboard underneath the rubber mat)

2. tiny, little panel underneath the original brake light

3. the seat (with the compartment)

4. the red brake light cover

5. back left panel (that says Buddy)

After removing the back left panel, my husband had to drill a small hole into the panel for the brake light wiring and do a bit of soldering.

It only took him about an hour to install everything, but probably because he had already installed it on my Vino previously so he was familiar with it. The back rack and trunk installation itself was easy, though.

The black matte Givi trunk looks pretty decent on the back of my pink Buddy. The back rack (Genuine Buddy accessory) is very solid and very substantial. With the trunk installed, when I'm standing right behind the scooter I can't see the original scooter brakelight at all (and I'm only 5'1"!). I'm so glad I had the brakelight kit for the trunk! :whew:

Now all I need is the windscreen and my mods are complete...for now. :P
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
rajron

Post by rajron »

60 – 70 degree winter – what’s wrong with you – so cruel.
I am curious what the windshield looks like if you cut it down, please post a pic if you do it. Originally I wanted the tall windshield to cut to the height I wanted but after seeing others with the short windshield I decided to go that route because I like the way it looked and also summer is coming to an end here and the cold is setting in (they call it mild here also but its all relative isn’t it)
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

Ok here's a preliminary pic of the cut down windshield. Yes it's a bit lopsided, but it's good enough to ride with right now. I'll take it off & sand it down to an even curve when I get some more time off from work.
It wasn't all that hard to do, & mind you I'm not exactly Mr. Handy with the tools. :nerd:
I followed the directions from the link on the Modern Vespa site. I suggest that anyone planning to do the same thing read the excellent directions posted.
Here's what I did:
Step 1: While sitting on Brutus in my normal riding position Sammy my GF marked out 25' w/ a tape measure. Then I slid a piece of paper up the inside of the w-shield until I found the point where I could just see the 25' mark over the paper...marked that point on the wshield w/ a sharpie.
Then using the point drawn on the wshield, drew the outline of the desired new curve on the wshield. Took a large piece of paper & traced that curve onto it.
Step 2: Removed the windshield(it's easy, 4 screws).
I covered the wshield w/ tape from the top to down past the drawn in outline of where I wanted to cut. As suggested in the Mod.Vespa post I used Blue Painter's Tape. This will reduce damage to the wshield by the cutting tool. Painter's Tape is good because it is easy to apply, & has a "Clean Release"(very little sticky residue).
Then using the outline on the paper I drew the desired cut on the Painter's Tape.
Step 3: I used a small roto-tool to cut it down. I was concerned that the roto-tool might melt the wshield so I was hesitant at first, but I cut it slowly,& allowed the blade to cool every couple minutes. So no melting issues. The roto-tool was IMO an excellent way to cut it. I got very little vibration,or other stresses on the windshield,& I got a quick, clean cut. I'm glad I wore safety glasses tho, as I broke several of the little disposable blades,& pieces went flying everywhere.
Step 4: Removed the Tape, & sanded it smooth.
Step 5: Mounted the windshield. Cleaned it off.
Step 6: Did a little Happy-Dance around Brutus,& his new no-longer-looming-huge windshield.
Hopped on Brutus,& Scooted around with a proud grin on my face :clap: :mrgreen:
Attachments
As you can see, the curve isn't quite even, but it's just a matter of a little sanding to get it near perfect.
As you can see, the curve isn't quite even, but it's just a matter of a little sanding to get it near perfect.
new windshield.jpg (106.76 KiB) Viewed 4730 times
rajron

Post by rajron »

Wow! That looks really good.
Its surprising how much you had to cut off, I bet your scoot will be more stable with the cut down shield. Be careful not to get too cold in that 60 to 70 degree weather.
dnpicardy

Post by dnpicardy »

thanks for all the install pics. i hope to install my rack, etc. this weekend.
ebcspace

accessories installed

Post by ebcspace »

creme buddy with chrome rear rack...

:wink:
Attachments
rearracktopsideview.JPG
rearracktopsideview.JPG (23.49 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
after
after
rearracktopfrontview.jpg (20.38 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
before
before
scootpuppy.JPG (18.42 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
scoot on!
paige

Post by paige »

Where did you get the puppy accessory? Very cute. :lol:
ebcspace

new buddy accessory

Post by ebcspace »

installed a new buddy clock...

from pep boys... about $5

has a velcro pad attachment.
Attachments
buddy clock.jpg
buddy clock.jpg (21.05 KiB) Viewed 3936 times
scoot on!
aeropt

Chrome back rack anywhere?

Post by aeropt »

Does anybody have any back chrome racks in stock still? I've called all over and know that even Genuine is out, but hoping one scooter shop somewhere on Earth has one.
polianarchy

Re: Chrome back rack anywhere?

Post by polianarchy »

aeropt wrote:Does anybody have any back chrome racks in stock still? I've called all over and know that even Genuine is out, but hoping one scooter shop somewhere on Earth has one.
Dude, yeah, me too. I've called and searched on the 'net, to no avail. Genuine knows that we want 'em, that's for sure! Philadelphia Scooters has at least 5 on backorder.
ModBud #442
ivyall

Rear rack

Post by ivyall »

I can't wait to get my rear rack. I ordered it with my Buddy over six weeks ago. I have my Buddy but not the rack. Why the delay?

How does the windshield effect stability? I feel a bit unstable over 40 mph but I'm a newbie to scootering/cycling although I did take the motorcycle safe driving course.

Ivyall
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

vitaminC wrote:
sparty wrote:Look at the kid in the back... he's like 'what the heck is that THING???' :shock:
He's thinking- "somebody got their HOG wet and it shrank!" :P
Hey! :x It was cold, okay?
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

aeropt wrote:Does anybody have any back chrome racks in stock still? I've called all over and know that even Genuine is out, but hoping one scooter shop somewhere on Earth has one.
I searched all over before Christmas, looking online and calling quite a few dealers, too. While I didn't call every Buddy dealer, I called quite a few.

No chrome racks.

If you find any, we sure want one!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lou76

Post by lou76 »

maybe genuine figured out that the rack that they were selling was crap... weak welds, shady design... wish i would have taken a better look before i bought one... reminiscent of the top boxes?????
Keys

Post by Keys »

Hmm. I have the black rear rack and it seems to be a reasonable product. If yours broke, Isaac, I have a welder and would be glad to fix it...if you can get it to Cottonwood....

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

Oh you have a welder? Can I take advantage of that offer also?
It wasn't just Isaac abusing his rack(wait that came out wrong :shock: ) mine is broken in 3 spots :evil: . My POS chrome rear-rack broke during the Fall Classic. The center bolt attachment is badly designed, it bends &/or breaks easily under pressure/vibration. Also the welds are(in the opinion of a welder friend of Isaac) "sloppy". Two of them broke on my rack in addition to the center attachment.
We were hoping his friend would be able to fix both our racks & we would then be able to post both the problem, & the solution, but he has been having some problems with equipment, & is unable to do it anytime soon.
If you could help us out it would be much appreciated! :mrgreen:
Last edited by ScooterMonkey on Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.