new rider

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mayra

new rider

Post by mayra »

hi everyone! i am a new rider. i've been lurking around here for a while and I have a pink 50 buddy.

I just recently started riding it despite having owned it for about 4 months.
i was a little aprehensive about it since i don't drive a car. but i'm finding that it is really easy and my confidence is building up.
my concern is i'm short as you can tell from the picture (hopefully it works) my feet don't really touch the ground flat. I've started riding it wearing sneakers that have a thicker sole and sitting lower, but i'm still finding that i'm on my toes to reach the road.

My husband and other riders say, you don't really have to set your feet down every time you stop, but i guess it just gives me some reassurance while i'm trying to work my confidence. Should i really get riding boots to feel more comfortable with the road, or should i just suck it up for these first few weeks of riding?

Right now i'm just doing errands and small rides, but soon i'll be riding my buddy to and from work daily.

So i guess i'd like some suggestions on how to build up confidence, i really am new to the road as far as driving goes (i know the laws and patterns, etc..) and how can i reach the road w/ my feet?
Attachments
scoot.jpg
scoot.jpg (72.47 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

Although you will probably get this advice about a godbillion times, even though you are only riding a 50, try to take an MSF class. They give you a lot of the basics to build upon and really help your confidence. I had never been on a two-wheeler before I took my class ( on a Honda 750 no less! ) then I bought my Buddy 150....it really helped me. You can keep checking back for a lot more and (probably better) info as I am fairly new myself. As for the short part, I'm only 5'7" and have to stretch a bit with both feet also, but if you go throught the MSF class, they will teach you to only put your left foot down abd keep your right on the scoot !

Robb

:nerd:

Congrats on the Scoot and welcome !!
The answer is : 42
voodoosix

Post by voodoosix »

YAY! Richmond.

just curious, what is your inseam? my wife is 4'11" and im trying to decide whether to go for the Buddy 50 or Fiddle 50 for her.

'08 Tomos Nitro
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

I know some members mentioned that they got the foam cut down on thier seats ... I think they brought it to a upolstery shop / got foam cut down / and recovered.....

Note:

Buddy is one of the shorter scoots on the market
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Get a shoe/boot with a thicker sole on it and you might feel more stable when you put your foot down.

The more you ride, the more confident you will become.

Enjoy!
Rhodyterri

Post by Rhodyterri »

Mayra -

Congrats on making the effort witht he scooting. You really have to feel confident before riding everywhere and in all different traffic patterns, I think the advice that you have been given will help immensely. I am 5'7" and find that I tilt the scooter alittle so that I feel like I can touch the ground. I also tend to stand up at the lights so that I know that I am starting out from a strong point when the light turns green. It will all come with time.

By the way, do you have your helmet laced in this picture? It looks like it comes wayyyy down on your face. It doesn't move around on your head does it? That would mean it's the wrong size and that's not good either.

Stay safe -