Lonely at a Red Light

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Racenut

Lonely at a Red Light

Post by Racenut »

I'm finding there are a few intersections around here that I can get stuck at if I'm the only one there. I'm not heavy enough to trip the sensors.

I'm guessing even for me it's going to take a lot of cheeseburgers to fix that.
Kurzer

Post by Kurzer »

If the lights near you have triggers in the ground, you can epoxy some rare earth magnets or buy a green light trigger for the scoot? If the lights don't have triggers, try to find a path that uses right turns :wink:
I don't do much modding on the scoot anymore, just riding :-)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Yup, most of us have that problem. Those magnets have gotten mixed reviews at best though from what I read.

Finding alternate routes or waiting a couple cycles of the light and then running it seem to be your best bets.
Keys

Post by Keys »

A lot of people say that you can lower your kickstand and lean the scooter over until it touches the pavement just over the wires that sense a vehicle's presence and it will make the lights change. That, however, has not been my experience. It could just be where I live, but the reviews of this method are generally positive...you might give it a try.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
maribell

Post by maribell »

This happens to me on my way home from work (~11 p.m.) if no one is around, I just go. I figure that if I get pulled over I'll admit what I did and explain to the officer that no matter what, I can;t trip the lights with just me and my bike.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I've noticed at a certain light I go by all the time, if I am first in line it takes a long time to turn green, otherwise if there is a car infront of the line, it only takes a minute or so to change green.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

The real question is, what's gonna happen when gas hits $10 a gallon, everyone's on scooters and mopeds, and no one can trip lights, even in rush hour traffic? Everybody Panic!
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

My MSF instrcutor said that the law here in CA is that if you wait for two complete light cycles if it still hasn't turned green you may legally run it if it is safe to do so.

She also said you'd probably have a pretty chance of avoiding a ticket if you waited less time but explained that you use this light often and know that it will not change.

Also, I have had very good luck with lining up the center of the scooter (where most of the frame is) directly on top of the sensor lines if they exist. Don't just drive over them. Stop right on top of them if you can. If the lines don't exist then your best shot is to pull right up to the crosswalk and stay right smack in the center of the lane.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

Keys wrote:A lot of people say that you can lower your kickstand and lean the scooter over until it touches the pavement just over the wires that sense a vehicle's presence and it will make the lights change.

--Keys 8)
i do this and it works on 80-90% of lights in Kansas. i lean all my weight onto the side stand and it concentrates some of my weight and the scooters's onto that small point.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Keys wrote:A lot of people say that you can lower your kickstand and lean the scooter over until it touches the pavement just over the wires that sense a vehicle's presence and it will make the lights change. That, however, has not been my experience. It could just be where I live, but the reviews of this method are generally positive...you might give it a try.

--Keys 8)
This method works for me in most places. It depends on where you live and what type of sensors are used. Look for a circular or hexagonal cut out near the intersection, stop over it, tap the stand. Of course it's stopped working at some intersections in my 'hood since all the roads were recently resurfaced with this new stuff they just spray down on top of the old road.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

In most places you can see the lines/cracks where the sensors are placed in the pavement. If you ride up directly on the center line of the sensor, hold your brake, and rev your engine, this will trigger most lights. Actually, in my area I haven't found any lights where this does not work. Learning this was a godsend for me, as most lights here are too busy to just run.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

There's some new tips in this thread that I need to try.

I've done everything but pop a wheelie over the sensor and nothing seems to work down here!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I have just been trying to put the rear half of my bike over the center of the circular sensor lines. In seattle we have big circles on the ground at the lights. It seems to trip them for me about 95% of the time.
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

No cop, no stop :wink:
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

So the answer isn't cheeseburgers? :(
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

There's a lot of weight being mentioned. So I feel the need to point out that the sensors are looking for ferrous metal, rather than weight. Those strips are basically a giant metal detector.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

OK, metal cheeseburgers, got it :D
Rhodyterri

Post by Rhodyterri »

Where I am, the sensors are big rectangles cut into the road at the traffic lights. Should I be driving over the cuts in the road, or trying to stay in the middle of the rectangle?

I don't know what the law is here in Rhode Island, but I have been doing the wait for two cycles of the light and then go. If I get stopped I'll explain what I did and ask for advice on what I should have done. They just love it when they can help!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

When there are the rectangles out here, we have a big rectangle with a line down the middle. I try to keep to one side or the other of the middle line, and that seems to work for me.
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

Rhodyterri wrote:Where I am, the sensors are big rectangles cut into the road at the traffic lights. Should I be driving over the cuts in the road, or trying to stay in the middle of the rectangle?
Right over the "cut". Line up the center of your scooter with the cut and stop directly over the cut. It should trigger. The idea is to get as much metal as close as you can to the cut which is basically just a wire that detects a change in a magnetic field.
ScootScoot

Post by ScootScoot »

jfrost2 wrote:I've noticed at a certain light I go by all the time, if I am first in line it takes a long time to turn green, otherwise if there is a car infront of the line, it only takes a minute or so to change green.
This has happened to me too. Now I try to scoot as forward as I safely can so the car behind me can get closer to the ground sensors.

Otherwise I just turn right. I have nothing against more reasons to ride my buddy!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I get so mad at myself at 5AM and I'm sitting at a light waiting for it to change and not a car in sight for miles. Suddenly I realize what I'm doing and go on. Talk about programmed.

Dennis
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Those magnets have gotten mixed reviews at best though from what I read.
Yep, the one I bought doesn't seem to work. I'll have to try some of the other stuff mentioned on this thread.

How would revving your engine work? I have no desire to look like an arrogant @ss on my scoot! :P