Group Riding 101

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kilted texan

Group Riding 101

Post by kilted texan »

Original Link: Click Here Please AUTHORED BY: MIKEB

This is not gospel & use at your own discretion. Neither I nor anybody else can be held responsible for your own actions. Please use caution & be safe. This is what we use in our little riding group.

I think this should be a sticky somewhere and everyone should read it before they ride in any group. I know that most of us have been riding for some time and this may be old hat to us, but... some are new to the two wheel world and if you ride a 50cc there is no class needed. I also think this should be the model for rides and all rides should start with a short safety briefing just to make sure a new rider does not put an experienced rider in the ditch.

Group Riding 101
If you're going to ride with a group, whether it's a formal club or just a few friends, you need to understand the rules, customs, and courtesies of team riding.
Riding with an experienced group can offer a greater level of safety by increasing your visibility to other traffic and giving you "extra eyes" to watch your back, but the key word here is "experienced". Many groups hit the road like SOBs (Swarms Of Bees), cutting into fast-moving traffic and darting wildly from lane to lane. Unless your affairs are all in order, that's dumb.

GOOD RIDING PRACTICES
1. Arrive at the group rendezvous with a full tank. It'll keep you from holding up the group and embarrassing yourself.
2. Listen carefully when the Road Captain (ride leader) discusses routes, planned stops, etc. If you'll need to stop for gas, to take medicine, or for any other reason before a planned stop, tell the Road Captain and Tailgunner up front and find out when/where you can meet up with the group again.
3. Follow the Road Captain's instructions re: where you should ride within the group. In many groups, new riders (those not experienced in GROUP riding) are initially placed at the back with the Tailgunner to make sure they arrive at the end destination. This allows the new rider to practice and develop his/her skills without holding up the rest of the group. Once new riders are able to keep up, corner smoothly, etc., they'll be able to ride in various other positions.
4. Once you get underway, don't clown around by zigzagging in your lane, tailgating the rider in front of you, moving in and out of the formation, etc. You'll endanger yourself and others.
5. Avoid public displays of temper (like screaming obscenities or flipping off people in cars) if you expect to be invited back. In some groups that might be acceptable behavior.
6. Pass back all hand signals initiated by the Road Captain, and be prepared to initiate a "single file" signal yourself if your travel lane becomes unsafe or uncomfortable (bad road surface, crumbling shoulder, narrow lanes, etc). Traditionally this has been a judgment call left to Road Captains, but in our club each individual member has the authority to make that call.
7. Don't suddenly split off from the group for personal reasons (i.e. to take a picture or make a casual phone call) unless you've told the Road Captain and Tailgunner up front that you plan to do that, or unless it's for a mechanical or medical problem. If you do choose to leave unexpectedly, wave the others on, making it clear that you aren't in need of assistance. Otherwise you're apt to inconvenience the whole group, or at least the Tailgunner, by making them stop and turn around to check on you.
Gas up when everyone else does so you'll be on the same general gas-stop schedule. Making the group stop 50 miles after THEY all got gas but you didn't because you "didn't need it yet" will not make you a popular guest.

Staggered Formation: The bikes form two columns, with the Road Captain at the head of the left column. The second bike will head the right column, and will ride approximately 1 second behind the leader at a diagonal (in the opposite side of the lane). The other riders will position their bikes NO CLOSER THAN 2 seconds behind the bike directly in front of them, or 1 second behind the diagonal bike. This formation gives each rider sufficient space, and discourages other vehicles from cutting in. The last rider, or Tail Gunner, may ride on whichever side of the lane he prefers.

Gap in Formation: If a void is created by a rider leaving the formation, all riders in that column should move forward to close the gap rather than switching sides of the lane. For example, a void in the left side of the lane should be filled by all the left-side riders moving forward while the right-side riders maintain their positions.

Road Captain: A good Road Captain will always remain aware of the length of the column(s), and properly gauge the time/space needed for the formation to pull out, to change lanes before exits, etc. When pulling out from a stop, he will keep the group's speed down until the last bike pulls out, at which time the whole group can accelerate smoothly. He'll usually avoid the temptation to make a right turn on red when leading a group, and he'll usually wait at a stop sign until the last bike stops before pulling out again. For safety, he'll sometimes break a large group into several smaller groups, with a gap of a few extra seconds between each group.

Tailgunner: Serves as the eyes of the Road Captain and assists with lane changes. He watches the formation, and informs the Road Captain of any potential problems within the group or of hazardous conditions approaching from the rear, such as vehicles trying to cut into the formation. Also assists with lane changes by blocking the new lane to allow the group to move over safely.

Lane Change Into FASTER Lane: If the group needs to move into a faster lane, or potentially faster-moving lane (even if no traffic is currently in sight from the front of the formation), it is safest to allow the Tailgunner to move first, blocking the desired lane from the back where he/she has a clearer view of upcoming traffic. The Road Captain signals his/her intention, then the Tailgunner moves over when it is safe to do so. The rest of the group then fills in the new lane from the rear after checking individually that it's safe to do so. In heavy traffic, this sometimes means staying in place and signaling for a car to continue forward to clear the formation, with the bikes pulling in behind it as it passes

Lane Change Into SLOWER Lane: It is necessary to change lanes from the front if you're moving into a lane in front of a particularly slow vehicle, or when merging onto a highway, or when moving into a new turnout lane. When passing, the Road Captain signals, passes the slow-moving vehicle, and pulls in front of it, maintaining passing speed until the last bike (Tailgunner) has moved over . If the Road Captain passes, then slows down, it will leave other riders stranded without room to safely move in front of the slower vehicle.

Getting Separated: If the formation becomes separated due to traffic signals, the Road Captain and others in the first group will continue along the planned route at a slow pace, approx. 5 mph UNDER the speed limit. The last group will proceed at a faster pace, approx. 5 mph ABOVE the speed limit until the groups are reunited. If the separation becomes too great, the Road Captain will find a safe place to pull over with the group and wait till the others catch up.

Emergencies: In an emergency, the Road Captain will move the formation to the shoulder as soon as safely possible. If a bike breaks down, DO NOT STOP. The Tail Gunner will stay behind with the problem bike. The Ride Leader will either lead the group to a safe stopping place and wait for a report, or continue on the planned route, depending on the group's normal procedures.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF GROUP RIDING

1. Arrive at the meeting place on time with a full tank of gas and ready to ride.

2. Make sure everyone is aware of the route. Provide a map if necessary.

3. Plan stops for rests, gas, lunch, etc., and ensure that all riders know where the stops are.

4. Split large groups into smaller groups of 5-6 and allow a few minutes between groups.

5. Ride at a pace that is comfortable, but not faster than the slowest bike or least experienced rider.

6. Maintain your position in a staggered formation using the two second rule as a minimum unless road
conditions dictate otherwise.

7. Be responsible for your own safety. Don’t rely on others. Scan well ahead for hazards and signal the
following rider if time permits.

8. Be courteous and allow other motorists to enter/exit a highway, change lanes or pass.

9. Look out for your fellow riders. Should some-one fall behind and the route is not familiar, at least one
rider will wait at an intersection where they might make a wrong turn.

10. If you decide to leave the ride it is only common courtesy to alert the leader of your group. If you
decide to leave en route you must signal another rider to prevent a wild goose chase.

Hand Signals:
Road Hazard to the Left: Hazard in the road cannot be seen by riders not in the front of the formation. Point to the hazard in the road with your left hand. This signal should be passed back from rider to rider. This is started by the rider who sees the hazard, not necessarily the Road Captain.

Road Hazard to the Right: Point out with your right foot. This signal should be passed back from rider to rider. This is started by the rider who sees the hazard, not necessarily the Road Captain

Single File: Initiated by Road Captain. Left arm straight up with index finger pointing up. Signal passed back from rider to rider. Road Captain will show left or right of lane by pointing to the left or the right after getting the group in single file. Road captain will initiate the side lane single file formation. Bikes will move in from front to rear. Bikes should back off to allow the rider to the front diagonal position to move into single formation. When formed the formation needs to maintain the 2-second gap.

Staggered Formation: Arm straight up with index and pinky finger elevated.

Pull over: Pat your head with your left hand. Riders should allow this rider out of the formation and reclose the formation. If someone sees something wrong with another motorcycle that person should pull over, point at them, and pat their head. The two riders and Tail Gunner will pull over.

Other Rider Left Turn Signal On: Pinch thumb and middle finger like you are snapping fingers repeatedly.

Right/Left Turns: use turn signals and/or correct hand signals.

Slow Down: Using left hand with palm extended motion with a downward motion. Passed back from rider to rider.

Tighten Up: Closed fist pumping up and down. This is initiated by the Road Captain.

Police: Extend arm over head motion hand in a circle

Two Lanes Merging into One Lane: Road Captain will initiate this signal. The signal is left arm elevated and index and middle finger extended. This signal is passed back from rider to rider to the Tail Gunner. The Tail Gunner will secure the other lane to prevent vehicles trying to cut in. The Tail Gunner will return to formation only after the lanes have completely merged.

Good riding is a skill and the life you save may be MINE!
Last edited by kilted texan on Thu May 29, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Texan,
that is a pretty good write up.
Thanks for sharing :!:
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

Thanks a ton for the information! It's very tempting to join in on group rides, we have a couple coming up here in Austin, but I don't feel comfortable with my skills (or lack thereof, haha) quite yet. This has been immensely helpful. :clap:
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Mad,
you should try it. It is really fun. Just tell the guys immediately in front or back of you that it is your first time in a group and to give you a bit more room and you will get the hang of it enseguida!
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

I was thinking of waiting til I have 500 or 600 miles under my belt. I'm approaching 300 now, so I figure it won't be too hard to wait til then. :wink:
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
maribell

Post by maribell »

Awww.... You gotta go on the Ski Shore ride!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

kilted, Good post! Did you write this up or is it from another site or source?
madtolive wrote:I was thinking of waiting til I have 500 or 600 miles under my belt. I'm approaching 300 now, so I figure it won't be too hard to wait til then. :wink:
Not a bad idea to wait until you're more confident. Also, it may be better to ride in a smaller group first.

I LOVE riding in groups, big or small. Of course when there's a large ride, it's great because we get all kinds of stares, waves, honks, etc. Bystanders take photos and videos of the group. It's good exhibitionism for an introvert such as myself. :)

It's also just a lot of fun to be out with a bunch of your own kind.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

ericalm wrote:Did you write this up or is it from another site or source?
I did borrow this from another site. DFW Scooterist dot com. I asked the original author first before I posted. He said to post it. I can add the linky to if needed. The only thing I did to the post was to do spell check.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

kilted texan wrote:
ericalm wrote:Did you write this up or is it from another site or source?
I did borrow this from another site. DFW Scooterist dot com. I asked the original author first before I posted. He said to post it. I can add the linky to if needed. The only thing I did to the post was to do spell check.
If you could add the credit and link to the post, that would be great. I'd like this added to our "For New Members" post.

Thanks!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
heavypetting

Post by heavypetting »

Excellent post!

We had a rally today at Vespa of Charlotte. The instruction was pretty much how to signal someone if they need to cancel their signal, ride in staggered formation (without instruction to the 70% of inexperienced riders what that meant) and where we'd end up.

In our group somebody wiped out on the second turn (less than 1/2 mile in) what then followed was a hysterical cluster-f**k of about 30 turns, some very spur of the moment, with some dicey moments. There was someone riding BAREFOOT!

Hopefully, the enxt ride will be organized. I was really concerned for several shaky riders safety. I'm going to try to talk my dealer into offering MSF courses or at least recommending them.
My chicken is smarter than your honor student!
www.mrjoy.net
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I've only done one group ride of about 10 scooters. It was a bit more impromptu so there was no map and since I was new to group riding, I rode in the second position which is a pretty standard rule that I didn't read there.

This way the captain could communicate anything new to me easily. She had me pull up to her at stop lights to give me heads up on stuff

I enjoyed it but I didn't know anyone so there wasn't a tight group feeling for me. Also, part of what I love about being on a scooter is that I'm all alone (introvert here too) so part of me kept wanting to break away and just do my own thing.

But I can see how if I knew the club better it could be a lot of fun.
heavypetting

Post by heavypetting »

Pic from todays group[/img]
My chicken is smarter than your honor student!
www.mrjoy.net
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

Thanks for the info !! It was very valuable today in my first group ride ( although I did makea couple of rookie mistakes )

Robb

The answer is : 42
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

posted pics of our first group ride here. 8)
gymnation

Post by gymnation »

Pita1963 wrote:Thanks for the info !! It was very valuable today in my first group ride ( although I did makea couple of rookie mistakes )

Robb

I was there! Hey at least you didn't eat it in the first 1/4 mile like that one poor soul!
I definitely saw a few people who didn't have the concept of "staggered" riding down. I'm new to scooters, but I rode a motorcycle years ago - often in groups - and have done group bicycle rides so I'm pretty comfortable riding in a group. It was a blast today.
Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
kuruku

Post by kuruku »

Pita1963 wrote:Thanks for the info !! It was very valuable today in my first group ride ( although I did makea couple of rookie mistakes )

Robb

I was at that ride too. It was a ton of fun and a good amount of controlled chaos. I was moving all over in the pack due to lights breaking us up or cars getting in the way, I went from the tail of the pack to the front by accident and I'm on a 50cc! I second the part about a lack of staggered riding, I felt like I was the only one trying at times.

All in all it was a great first ride I think. I learned a lot and I'm much more confident in sharing lanes.

On a side note, did you hear about the guy that won the blackcat? Lucky guy was there shopping for a scoot and walked off with one for free.
Poppie tricks are the number one caper
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

kuruku wrote:

Robb

I was at that ride too. It was a ton of fun and a good amount of controlled chaos. I was moving all over in the pack due to lights breaking us up or cars getting in the way, I went from the tail of the pack to the front by accident and I'm on a 50cc! I second the part about a lack of staggered riding, I felt like I was the only one trying at times.

All in all it was a great first ride I think. I learned a lot and I'm much more confident in sharing lanes.

On a side note, did you hear about the guy that won the blackcat? Lucky guy was there shopping for a scoot and walked off with one for free.

I tried to always keep one person diagonal to me about 2 seconds ahead... i didn't realize that we were to relay the hand signals back...

Robb
The answer is : 42