Providence Police to ride scooters

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

siobhan

Providence Police to ride scooters

Post by siobhan »

"Providence police to test-drive eco-friendly scooters"
http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/new ... he_38.html

I'm so very, very proud of our Providence men and women in blue! You go Mayor Cicilline and Chief Esserman!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wow, interesting that they're riding the Vectrix scoots. Those run about $9K for the basic model. The Vectrix MP3 clone, which isn't on their site (?) was supposed to run around $16K!

Wonder what those Vespa/Piaggio hybrids will be going for...
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
brape

Post by brape »

Looks like I moved just when providence was getting cool ;)
SScooterG

Post by SScooterG »

Houston motorcycle-trainee cops learn on scooters. Big manly ones though....but hey! They're still scooters!
MPA

Post by MPA »

Cool deal. How fast do the electric ones go?

The NYPD has used scooters for as long as I can remember. I was going to post a picture but caught an article from Dec '07 where they were testing the Vectrix scooters. I couldn't find anything where they talked about the results though.

I found another article about Memphis PD taking a look at them as well. Their version, the T3, only does 20mph though

Memphis Cops
BuddyLicious

Re: Providence Police to ride scooters

Post by BuddyLicious »

siobhan wrote:"Providence police to test-drive eco-friendly scooters"
http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/new ... he_38.html

I'm so very, very proud of our Providence men and women in blue! You go Mayor Cicilline and Chief Esserman!
Yea I can just see it now using an electric scooter,the police are on a wild chase after someone,then 1 by 1 each scooter dies after running out of battery juice.

:oops: :oops:
Aerosmith, None Other.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Nashville's finest roll on scoots.

r0sa

Post by r0sa »

the vectrix a pretty clean looking scoot
Tenchi

Post by Tenchi »

Well, if a policeman on a scooter pulls you over and decides you need arresting, does he say "You're under arrest. Get in the basket?"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Tenchi wrote:Well, if a policeman on a scooter pulls you over and decides you need arresting, does he say "You're under arrest. Get in the basket?"
He calls the bicycle police and asks them what to do.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
brape

Post by brape »

I know you're joking, but Providence likes to have bike and foot patrols to make them more accessible to the community and try and take some of the negative policeman image away. If they have a real probably they obviously call for backup.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

Tenchi wrote:Well, if a policeman on a scooter pulls you over and decides you need arresting, does he say "You're under arrest. Get in the basket?"
:rofl:
speedgraphic

Post by speedgraphic »

That may be cool, but... nothing strikes fear into a motorists heart QUITE like a Highway Patrol BMW R 1100 RT-P...
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I found this on the 'net & thought I would share
Xena

Post by Xena »

As a scoot rider that lives in Providence, I find this awesome!

I almost wish a whole gaggle of us from the area could go down and meet them on Friday as they get ready to go off on their first test run...sort of to give them the moral support :)
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Xena wrote:As a scoot rider that lives in Providence, I find this awesome!

I almost wish a whole gaggle of us from the area could go down and meet them on Friday as they get ready to go off on their first test run...sort of to give them the moral support :)
I went by on Friday (it was last Friday) but later in the day after work and there was no sign of them :( I think this is a great fit for Providence...Vectrix is a Rhode Island company which is why I think they went with them.

I do like dem Nashville Rattlers...a great look for our Tennessee men & women in blue!
iloveducks11

Post by iloveducks11 »

The Vectrix are amazing. We have some at the scooter shop I work at (ecomoto.com). These can go 62 mph and about 60 miles between charges. They get up to full speed in virtually no time.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Of course, we all know that any cop on a 2 wheeled machine all inspire to be:
Attachments
Chips.jpg
Chips.jpg (41.02 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Can you imagine the surprise of a bad guy fleeing on foot or on his bicycle who thinks he's made a clean getaway? He looks over his shoulder in triumph and sees a virtually silent scooter with a big ol' cop grinning at him! Pretty scooterific!

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bumping, kinda…

Current "Scoot!" magazine has a cool article about the history of scooters used by the NYPD. Uh, police Lambrettas? Awesome!
mayra

Post by mayra »

i wish they'd do that in richmond, maybe then they'd fix all the messed up streets in the city. i'm afraid to go into town sometimes cuz my butt hurts for 3 days afterward :?
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

ericalm wrote:Bumping, kinda…

Current "Scoot!" magazine has a cool article about the history of scooters used by the NYPD. Uh, police Lambrettas? Awesome!
Yeah, I saw that. It would be cool to get one after Gene charmed it up, but I wonder if one could ride it legally (with the big POLICE all over it).

My b/f wears a German police leather jacket and the back has POLIZEI in reflective letters. We were in a shop in my neighborhood and one of the guys says, man if I wore that, I'd get pulled over immediately (we're white in a majority non-white 'not the best' neighborhood). I said, yeah, you probably would. That sucks. Ever since that conversation, I wonder if he'll get pulled over for confusing the populus. But then again, while I love some of Providence's Finest (see scavenger hunt), some of them aren't the brightest bulbs.

And I STILL haven't seen one of the Vetrix scoots. Every time I see a cop, I ask, where are they? and even they don't know. I'm going to WaterFire on Saturday so maybe they'll be down there dealing with traffic.

Jrman

Post by Jrman »

siobhan wrote:eco-friendly scooters
The electric scooters may be eco-friendly. However, how much electricity does it take to charge them? The power plants sure use a lot of oil/coal to generate electricity. I also wonder if you actually save much money if you are paying for the electricity to charge them.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

ericalm wrote:Bumping, kinda…

Police Lambrettas! Man, I'd love to pick one of those up at a county auction. It would be like the scooter equivalent of the blues mobile.

Dustin

Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Jrman wrote:
The electric scooters may be eco-friendly. However, how much electricity does it take to charge them? The power plants sure use a lot of oil/coal to generate electricity. I also wonder if you actually save much money if you are paying for the electricity to charge them.
The answer to all that is you come out way ahead in terms of cost and carbon footprint compared to gas engines. It is the same deal as a plug in electric car such as the Volt only it works today because of the size and weight of a scooter. (same reason it is more efficient to have central power plants than small gensets at each house - not to mention that the electricity could come from hydro, wind power, tidal, etc)

The Vectrix site has some info that sheds light on this question. The Vectrix battery pak requires 3.7 kWh to reach full charge. The average price of electricity around the US is 10 cents per kWh so the recharge cost per cycle is about 35 cents. The weak point with all electric vehicles continues to be range. The range of a Vectrix on one charge cycle is 30-60 miles (depending on speed, load, etc). So you are going half or less of the distance a Buddy will do on one tank of gas but at less than 1/10th the fuel cost. (assuming I got these numbers right)
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Dooglas wrote: So you are going half or less of the distance a Buddy will do on one tank of gas but at less than 1/10th the fuel cost. (assuming I got these numbers right)
Then you get to wait 4-6 hours before going again while it recharges. Maybe the police will get battery packs in their just like they have for their walkie-talkies. You know, stop by the station, and swap 'em out?

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dooglas wrote:
Jrman wrote:
The answer to all that is you come out way ahead in terms of cost and carbon footprint compared to gas engines. It is the same deal as a plug in electric car such as the Volt only it works today because of the size and weight of a scooter. (same reason it is more efficient to have central power plants than small gensets at each house - not to mention that the electricity could come from hydro, wind power, tidal, etc)
Sad to say but even when electricity comes from coal-burning plants, electric vehicles still come out way ahead of internal combustion in terms of carbon footprint and cost. Still, I may be remodeling my garage in the next year and am seriously considering a solar array on the flat rear roof specifically for the purpose of an electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle that I don't yet own.

BTW, I finally watched "Who Killed the Electric Car" this weekend and though I thought the subject deserved a better movie, it was pretty interesting and actually very sad in parts. One of the big showdowns depicted in the movie took place just a few miles from me and I had no idea it was happening at the time—it was pretty much ignored by local and national media, I think. meh.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

siobhan wrote:My b/f wears a German police leather jacket and the back has POLIZEI in reflective letters. We were in a shop in my neighborhood and one of the guys says, man if I wore that, I'd get pulled over immediately (we're white in a majority non-white 'not the best' neighborhood). I said, yeah, you probably would. That sucks. Ever since that conversation, I wonder if he'll get pulled over for confusing the populus.
If you don't live in the best part of town, I'd be worried your boyfriend could be confused for a real cop. That can be very dangerous. I'm not sure he should be wearing that jacket even though it sounds really cool. Be careful out there.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

k1dude wrote: If you don't live in the best part of town, I'd be worried your boyfriend could be confused for a real cop. That can be very dangerous. I'm not sure he should be wearing that jacket even though it sounds really cool. Be careful out there.
Are there actually a lot of multi-lingual Europeans in "not the best" part of town that would be confused by this?
brape

Post by brape »

Aparently Johnston is getting in on the act too.

http://community.myfoxprovidence.com/bl ... Story_Time