Helmet suggestions?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ineedareed

Helmet suggestions?

Post by ineedareed »

Hey Scoot Buddies!

I actually don't have my scoot yet, but will be getting it next week. Anyway, what kind of helmet do you guys suggest? I like the little ones that don't cover your ears, but I think they may not be safe enough. Is there a brand or type that is well known and reliable?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I wear and recommend a full face, everyone who has crashed are glad they had full.

The name brans are Bell, HJC, Sheoi, Arai, Gmax, and many others, but that's just off the top of my head.

A full face can go from 80-600 dollars.
voodoosix

Post by voodoosix »

i just ordered a new one (now i have 5 helmets! almost as bad as my wife and her shoes!) its enroute and i hope it gets here early next week.

if you are a new rider i suggest getting a full face as your 1st helmet.

Imagethis is what i have coming...

'08 Tomos Nitro
brape

Post by brape »

I got a scoprion exo-400 for a good price at sportbiketrackgear.com. It shipped the next day then got to me a couple of days later. Not bad since no one local had one in my size in a light color and it would have taken them a week and a half to order me one. by the way that comes with a clear shield, not a mirrored one like they show in the pic.
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

I too have a scorpion exo 400. Its pretty comfortable and doesn't fog as easily as my old gpx helmet. I did alot of shopping around and it stood out in its price range (I paid about $130, $99 is a good deal. ). If you get it, its worth buying the optional chin baffle for cold days, because without it there is a lot of airflow up from the chin area. Dont buy a helmet without trying it on. The size and shape of your head will dictate what size and brand helmet is best.
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

voodoosix wrote:i just ordered a new one (now i have 5 helmets! almost as bad as my wife and her shoes!) its enroute and i hope it gets here early next week.

if you are a new rider i suggest getting a full face as your 1st helmet.

Imagethis is what i have coming...
Very cool, where can I get one ?
"Social graces, got any"
voodoosix

Post by voodoosix »

'08 Tomos Nitro
trevo_man

Post by trevo_man »

This is the one I have, but mine is silver. It is made by Vega and it was pretty inexpensive.. I think I paid $40 for it. It is super comfy and very well ventilated.
Attachments
x280header.jpg
x280header.jpg (33.85 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i have the nolan N30, i love the way it fits!
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (9.45 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
charltons

Post by charltons »

I wpuld go for the full face. I had a 1/2 helmet- I never felt safe in it, and if you don't wear goggles you get grit in your eyes. Not worth the price of looking "cool". I have a Vega, around $90 DOT approved. I like it very much.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Try on several different brands. Helmets are different 'shapes' and one brand may be more comfy on your particular head than another. I have found HJC to be very comfortable and have stayed with that brand. Others actually hurt a different spot on the head and one caused a headache after the first hour.

Go to a local dealer and try on different brands and sizes. That could save you a lot of returns through the mail.

Remember, supporting your local dealer may not be as costly as thought for some items. A broken shield mechanism on a locally purchased helmet resulted in "just grab a new helmet, leave that one on the counter." The helmet was 9 months old, no receipt, no questions asked.
Hard to put a price on that.

Dennis
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

DennisD wrote:Try on several different brands. Helmets are different 'shapes' and one brand may be more comfy on your particular head than another. I have found HJC to be very comfortable and have stayed with that brand. Others actually hurt a different spot on the head and one caused a headache after the first hour.

Go to a local dealer and try on different brands and sizes. That could save you a lot of returns through the mail.

Remember, supporting your local dealer may not be as costly as thought for some items. A broken shield mechanism on a locally purchased helmet resulted in "just grab a new helmet, leave that one on the counter." The helmet was 9 months old, no receipt, no questions asked.
Hard to put a price on that.

Dennis
I'm with Dennis. Try on several brands. They all fit differently. If you go 3/4 (I wouldn't even consider 1/2 or as I call them, brain-bucket) I like the Z1R Metro. I have one and it's nice around town. The one I'd really suggest is a full-face. I have an HJC and love it. Any brand will do as long as it's comfortable for you. Modular are nice too, but noisier and heavier if that makes a difference. If you have a local Cycle Gear, they have several to try.
Othergods

Post by Othergods »

I agree with most, try them on. Eventually one will just feel right. For me that was the AGV Stealth

It costs a bit more than others but not as much as some, I for fortunite and found this one on sale for $209.

EDIT: This one does fit under my seat also, I have a Size- Large
Last edited by Othergods on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Know the truth: WM3.org

twoscoots

Post by twoscoots »

I've got this one. I kept reading that white helmets are better for visibility, so I broke down and got one for the first time (I didn't have small children when I rode before).
I love the helmet, even if I look like I have an enormous marshmallow head.
Besides, I don't have to look at me while I'm riding. :shock:

http://www.z1rhelmets.com/product.jsp?p ... ry_id=1301

One thing to consider if you're ordering a full-face helmet is if it'll fit under your seat. This thing actually does, although it has to be sitting on the very bottom to fit.
AmyNTX

Post by AmyNTX »

This is my helmet..It has lots of vents..and very comfy! (it comes in other colors..not just pink :wink:
Attachments
mc8.jpg
mc8.jpg (29.6 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
trevo_man

Post by trevo_man »

I also have a really nice Bieffe full face helmet that I was thinking about wearing instead of my 3/4 Vega... but it is about 6 years old. I think they need to be replaced after 3-5 years don't they? Someone told me they pretty much "go bad" after that.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

yeah somebody told me that the foam inside the helmets dissolve or they just go flat after 6 years or something...or maybe i was lied to...
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

It's sooner than 6yrs.

Also good idea to cut the straps when you dispose of it.