New Buddy 150 - stalled while riding today - whats wrong?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SailSteph

Post by SailSteph »

Since having the gas cap drilled, has anyone noticed a drop in gas mileage? Gas must be evaporating through the hole since I can smell it.

Stephanie
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

SailSteph wrote:Since having the gas cap drilled, has anyone noticed a drop in gas mileage? Gas must be evaporating through the hole since I can smell it.

Stephanie
Check that you are not over-filling the tank. If you over fill the tank gas leaks out the right side and and gets soaked up into some filter there (someone who knows the exact part please jump in here...). Anyways, you will also get to enjoy the lovely aroma of gasoline until that excess evaporates from the filter. If your milage is going down it could simply be because gas is leaking out rather than being used...

Make sure you leave a good inch to spare when filling up.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
SailSteph

Post by SailSteph »

I was smelling gas with only a half tank of gas and the holes drilled in the gas cap. There hasn't been a full tank in a week. How long does it take for this filter area to dry up? I thought that the reason I can smell gas is due to the hole in the gas cap. Once the two holes were drilled, my last half tank of gas was consumed in 25 miles. I will have to use this tank and then refill to measure the gas mileage. The last half tank of gas was consumed quickly!!! I am taping the hole shut when the scooter is not in use.

Stephanie
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

SailSteph, how big is the hole, and where is it drilled on your gas cap. Do you have multiple holes drilled in the gas cap? The hole on my cap is in the verticle part where you can grab it to twist off, and it is about 1/16th of an inch. If yours isn't like that may be part of the problem.
MB #2349
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I can tell you the fix. No hole drilling required. You can plug the holes or get a new cap. There is a line from the charcoal cannister to the intake hose upstream of the carb. At that point is a valve that allows fuel to dump into your intake. Simply turn the valve around. Problem solved. I did this on our Buddy. 9000 miles later, no problems.
SailSteph

Post by SailSteph »

Thanks for responding! I really appreciate it. I measured the hole to be 2/16". There is one on the bottom of the cap (faces bottom of tank) and one on the outside where you place your thumb. These were drilled by the dealer.
I have taped the outer hole and the gas smell goes away. I just know that if I can smell gas then it is evaporating.

Olhogrider, I would be interested in the fix you are describing. Please send the details on how to do it. :D

Stephanie
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I searched my old photos but no luck. I would take a picture but someone stole our Buddy. The valve in question is a plastic thing in the small black line that goes into the intake between the air filter and the carb. By simply removing the valve, rotating it so "in" is now "out" no more fuel dumps into your carb.
SailSteph

Post by SailSteph »

I exchanged my gas cap for a Genuine gas cap. I noticed the holes are smaller and there isn't a hole on the outer part of the gas cap. I'm sure this will cut back on the gas odor. Having no fumes is necessary for the times when I park inside the high school where I teach. If I leave the scooter outside, I'm sure someone will pick at it.

olhogrider, so sorry about your stolen scooter!

Thanks so much for all your help! :D
Stephanie
JoshInLA

Post by JoshInLA »

Hi- new here. Been lurking in the shadows for a few months, and finally got a scooter yesterday. A black Buddy 125. This forum and the enthusiasm you all have for your Buddys sold me on the Buddy before I even got to the dealership. Thanks for that. I love it, and look forward to a long relationship with it, and maybe even some cool scooter people. I have the vapor lock issue, and after reading through this entire thread, I am still unsure where to drill the hole, how "tiny" of a hole, and if the hole should go through the whole cap, or just the the first layer of metal on the bottom of the cap- the copper color side. Can someone clarify?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hey, Josh—welcome to another LA Buddy!

Did you buy new or used? What year is your Buddy? The vapor lock issue (or vacuum lock issue that we just call the vapor lock issue) was pretty particular to the earlier '08 150s though it can happen in other models. This is especially true if the gas was overfilled or if the scooter fell over or was transported on its side.

If you bought new, it's highly unlikely this is the problem unless the gas tank was overfilled. Could be a poor electrical connection or something else; might be best to contact the dealer.

If you do want to drill your gas cap, here's some help:
sotied wrote:One hole in the center bottom of the cap (inside the rubber ring area) and one hole in the handle ridge on the outside of the cap.

The holes on mine are thusly......

But before you do that… If you just open the gas tank, close it , then start and run the scooter, will it stall?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JoshInLA

Post by JoshInLA »

Hi Eric!
Thanks for the warm welcome, and a really big thanks for being the brains and effort behind these incredible forums!! Also thanks for being patient with me and not yelling at me for asking questions that clearly were already answered in the thread. I think my brain stopped comprehending after the first page and a half, but after I posted i re read, and realized I was just not seeing what was there.

The very helpful and easygoing folks at NoHo scooters helped me through my issue with my brand new 2009 Buddy 125. I'm going to leave it at that in this public forum. I look forward to getting a bit more confident on the beast, at which point I plan on joining you and the rest of the LA Scooter meet up group on rides.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:Hey, Josh—welcome to another LA Buddy!

Did you buy new or used? What year is your Buddy? The vapor lock issue (or vacuum lock issue that we just call the vapor lock issue) was pretty particular to the earlier '08 150s though it can happen in other models. This is especially true if the gas was overfilled or if the scooter fell over or was transported on its side.

If you bought new, it's highly unlikely this is the problem unless the gas tank was overfilled. Could be a poor electrical connection or something else; might be best to contact the dealer.

If you do want to drill your gas cap, here's some help:
sotied wrote:One hole in the center bottom of the cap (inside the rubber ring area) and one hole in the handle ridge on the outside of the cap.

The holes on mine are thusly......

But before you do that… If you just open the gas tank, close it , then start and run the scooter, will it stall?
Welcome to MB! It was fairly common on the '08 125's as well. Mine did it fairly regularly until I replaced my cap with the recall one.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Not recall cap—free warranty replacement cap! There was no recall; that's kind of a dangerous term to use for anything that's not, technically and legally, a product recall. Especially these days.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:Not recall cap—free warranty replacement cap! There was no recall; that's kind of a dangerous term to use for anything that's not, technically and legally, a product recall. Especially these days.
Ahh, good point. Warranty replacement cap :) The cap that they put the hole in for me, then gave to me without charging.
psymple

hashtag MeToo

Post by psymple »

Last yr I bought a 2012 170i buddy with less than 300 miles on it (just under 2k now). I put a prima exhaust on it and it was running like you all mention above. I adjusted the valves and seemed to help a little. Just took it out for the season and it is (awesome but) horrible. It sounds like a harley and back fires all the time. I am VERY guilty of over filling (have done it with my 09 125 since I bought it, no issues) and my mechanic (not scooter, just all around kinda guy) thought it was a fuel issue and we had planned on checking the pressure. The scooter also came with a puh button gas cap...don't know if it is after market or not. I will try the vape vent and not over fill it.

Does anybody know about the need for any adjustments after putting on the performance exhaust? Thanks...good thread.
psymple

Post by psymple »

Actually, going to change the gas cap from my 09 to the 12, see if that makes a diff... will update.
psymple

Post by psymple »

The gas caps were not replaceable; the push button was designed for the newer tank. I disconnected a hose coming out of the smaller canister on top of the tank (size of a fuel filter) and left it open. For the first 10 miles it seemed like it worked. Then stopped at a friends for a half hour and when I left, it was back to chugging and popping.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I bought a used 170i gas cap from eBay for my Yamaha C3. The cap was not vented. I had to drill a 1/16" hole in the little notch on the underside of the top of the cap. It was a PGO cap off a wrecked 170i. I could feel the pressure release after just 5 minutes of riding when I popped the cap. I drilled the hole, and no more pressure.
psymple

Post by psymple »

I rode it again w the cap just placed on top of the tank, not sealed; it ran well.

the winter tank of gas, it ran well. After the first fill up it started happening. My over filling may have saturated something in the cap. The discovery will continue...getting closer
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

psymple wrote:I rode it again w the cap just placed on top of the tank, not sealed; it ran well.

the winter tank of gas, it ran well. After the first fill up it started happening. My over filling may have saturated something in the cap. The discovery will continue...getting closer
Ah, I know the answer to this one. If you did the "fill-er-up" thing, then gas ran down that fume recycle pipe straight into your airbox and soaked your air filter thereby choking your motor. Open the airbox, clean it up, let the filter dry out, and reassemble. You should be good to go.

Let us know how it goes.