New Buddy 150 - stalled while riding today - whats wrong?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jemjr4

Post by jemjr4 »

To be honest, I haven't tore into the Buddy yet. The Dealer did it. However, when I get the chance to do some other work I will then get a picture of the tube and canister.

Jack
lanni

Post by lanni »

Could this happen with an 07 also? My buddy died on me this evening and it took a couple of failed start attempts to get it running again. I thought it was just low on gas, but when I put gas in it only needed less than half a tank.
Luckily it happened at an intersection with grass at the corner because when I walked it off the road I promptly turned it over on its side :oops: OW
averacpa01

Is this happening to both 125 and 150 2008 Buddys?

Post by averacpa01 »

Is this issue related only to the 2008 150cc Buddys or to their entire line of 2008 models?
ScooterTrash

Re: Is this happening to both 125 and 150 2008 Buddys?

Post by ScooterTrash »

averacpa01 wrote:Is this issue related only to the 2008 150cc Buddys or to their entire line of 2008 models?
All of em
shortbread71

Post by shortbread71 »

This is the best forum I've ever been on - proof that Buddy owners are the best! I just read this thread earlier today, right before I took my new baby out for our first joyride together (so far just back and forth to work for the first week). Guess what happened right as I pulled into my parking lot after the long ride? Yep! I started losing power - kept pulling the throttle but it wouldn't accelerate right away. Then it just stalled out. Thankfully I had read the post BEFORE I took my jaunt (which was amazing, by the way), or I would've been freaking the frak out. My baby only has 80 miles on her and 1/2 tank of gas in her belly!!! You know I'll be getting that whole charcoal emission device checked out - luckily my scooter shop is on the way to work.

Thanks everybody!
I'm sorry...I can't hear you making fun of my scooter over that 90 MILES PER GALLON.
shortbread71

Post by shortbread71 »

I just looked at the tech posts and since I have a 125, I'm now thinking my problem might just be the idle. I will tinker with it right away.

I'm having way too much fun, even with mechanical issues! The Buddy is some kind of drug! :P
I'm sorry...I can't hear you making fun of my scooter over that 90 MILES PER GALLON.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

shortbread71 wrote:The Buddy is some kind of drug! :P
Which makes this kind of prescient:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyGyaHKkSk&fmt=18

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sotied

Post by sotied »

So, would it make sense to...

1. Every time I stop and access my stuff under the seat, open up the gas cap?

2. Make sure I keep the tank at least half full when I can?

3. Contact my dealer and have that tube removed during my first service at 500 miles?

4. Or wait for the online pictures and just remove the hose myself?

I can't think of anything worse than pulling into fast-moving traffic and not having the power to get up to speed or having the scoot go soft with traffic bearing down on you from behind.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
bmw111

Don't forget...

Post by bmw111 »

If you do remove the charcoal canister (hypothetically, of course, since you would then be tampering with emissions equipment), don't forget to be sure to plug the joint where the tube from the canister joins the air box (right before the carburetor). If you don't, the engine will run WAY lean, and life will suck for you. FYI, someone (I can't think of who), snuck into my garage last night and removed the charcoal canister from my brand-new Buddy 150 -- so I reluctantly plugged the joint and I tell you, the Buddy runs great -- actually feels a bit more torquey than with the canister. Now if I can just find out who did that to my Buddy, I'll give them a piece of my mind.
sotied

Post by sotied »

If you ever catch up with that fiend, see if you can find out what he plugged the hole with and maybe if he could give you a photo or two of what the vandal's handiwork looked like before and after.

It will help all of us be on the lookout for this maniac.

Thanks so much.

jeff@jeffcutler.com

Oh, did I put my email there, maybe I slipped and left it there in case someone wanted to send me a note off the boards.

Thanks,
Jeff • #2163
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

If your dealer tampers with your EPA approved emissions system they can get in trouble.

Of course I would never remotely suggest that anyone do anything to threaten the heroic efforts of the EPA and CARB.

I might be inclined to drill a very small hole in the bottom of my gas cap (metal gas caps only) on the inner round surface adjacent to one of the tabs that interfaces the cut-outs in the filler neck. I might be inclined to make sure that I didn't drill that hole all the way through the gas cap and out the top.

I might then flip the gas cap over and drill in from the side where your thumb leverages the cap to make it tight. In theory this would keep any gas splashing around inside your tank from going straight out the hole and any that splashed into the inner cavity of the hollow (now ventilated) gas cap would drain out the hole you just made in the bottom.

Air would be able to freely enter and exit the gas tank as needed preventing any sort of a vapor lock stalling scenario while still allowing the EPA mandated charcoal canister to "do its job" for any errant vapors that found their way into the canister.

Some dealers might be inclined to do this to every single Buddy with a metal gas tank when they come in for their first service. Some dealers may have noticed a similar problem with Vespa Gt200's a few years ago and they may have come came up with a similar remedy.

I probably wouldn't recommend the complete removal of the evaporative canister as the next owner of the scooter may take issue with any factory installed part being removed by the previous owner. It's also a decent idea to leave it intact in case your particular state decides to start EPA testing or visual inspection of Emission Control Systems on motorcycles.

Name withheld to protect the identity of people who's scooters may be stalling at this very moment.
shortbread71

Post by shortbread71 »

ericalm wrote:
shortbread71 wrote:The Buddy is some kind of drug! :P
Which makes this kind of prescient:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyGyaHKkSk&fmt=18

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Oh, Evan Dando....how you remind me of the early 90's!!! Make it snappy with that comeback Lemonheads album, btw. Thx.

P.S. Thanks, Ericalm - now that song will be stuck in my head every time I scoot! :wink:
sotied

Post by sotied »

swillscooter wrote:Has anyone out there been in contact with Genuine regarding this stalling issue? I'd be curious to know the company's input.
I second that thought. I really want to hear what Philip or anyone else out there has to say about this.

It would be great if there was either a general recall/fix for the issue.

I know when stuff like this happened with my Scion (yes, it's a cage), Scion issued some quasi-recalls. They were technical notifications I think. But my dealer fixed them right away when I brought the car in for regular service.

It might be something that we should mention next time any of us are in a Genuine dealer.
Jeff • #2163
bmw111

Evap removal

Post by bmw111 »

pocphil wrote: I probably wouldn't recommend the complete removal of the evaporative canister as the next owner of the scooter may take issue with any factory installed part being removed by the previous owner. It's also a decent idea to leave it intact in case your particular state decides to start EPA testing or visual inspection of Emission Control Systems on motorcycles.
It's a five-minute procedure to re-install the evap canister/hoses if necessary. Just don't throw away the parts you remove. If someone wants a more difficult to start, less torquey Buddy that's their right, I guess. :P I do like the gas cap procedure, though -- looks "legal."
sotied

edit - photos added

Post by sotied »

pocphil wrote:I might be inclined to drill a very small hole in the bottom of my gas cap (metal gas caps only) on the inner round surface adjacent to one of the tabs that interfaces the cut-outs in the filler neck. I might be inclined to make sure that I didn't drill that hole all the way through the gas cap and out the top.

I might then flip the gas cap over and drill in from the side where your thumb leverages the cap to make it tight. In theory this would keep any gas splashing around inside your tank from going straight out the hole and any that splashed into the inner cavity of the hollow (now ventilated) gas cap would drain out the hole you just made in the bottom.
I found a masked man who would only answer to the name Cheese Rider. He took these photos from his lapel camera when he infiltrated the gas-cap-modification base.

He said it was a three-minute job and now his scoot is more torquey and his mind is at ease.

Photos are only here as hypotheticals....

*edit* photos added
Attachments
P6090045.JPG
P6090045.JPG (56.81 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
P6090043.JPG
P6090043.JPG (63.98 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
Jeff • #2163
bmw111

Post by bmw111 »

Nice Photoshop job on that "hypothetical" gas cap. :o
sotied

Post by sotied »

Looks almost real, doesn't it.

On a freaky coincidental note, I had just filled up WAY UP earlier this afternoon and it's about 100 here today.

Then I let the scoot sit in the sun before I fired up the drill....I mean computer and opened Photoshop. Then when I was done doctoring the photos I went for a ride.

About four minutes into the ride the scoot lost power as I was screaming up through the 40s and then it came back just as quickly.

Felt very similar to what everyone has been talking about, but the scoot didn't die at all. COULD have been the very full tank sloshing into the vapor tube. But since it didn't cripple the scoot I guess the photoshop job was a success.

Would that be an accurate supposition dealers and smarter riders?
Jeff • #2163
ernie

Post by ernie »

Hmm..When the bandit put holes in my gas cap, he put the hole on the horizontal surface of the thumb part of the cap, not the vertical one. So far so good today. I'm down to about 1/4 tank and I didn't have any issues riding home.
sotied

Post by sotied »

ernie wrote:Hmm..When the bandit put holes in my gas cap, he put the hole on the horizontal surface of the thumb part of the cap, not the vertical one. So far so good today. I'm down to about 1/4 tank and I didn't have any issues riding home.
From Boston to Denver in the same day. This guy must have one of those new Concorde scoots.

During my post-photoshopping ride, I stopped downtown just to see if any gas was sloshing out. Dry as a bone.

Checked again at home and even rocked the bike back and forth in the center stand. Dry dry dry.

I did notice a gas odor, but that was either a healthy paranoia (see http://www.thingstoworryabout.com ) or just the normal scoot smell.
bmw111

A thought....

Post by bmw111 »

You know, I was thinking about this issue, and perhaps the vapor lock is one of a few possible causes. As we know now, the 08 Buddies have steel gas tanks -- those of us who work with motorcycles know that new units come with a protectant spray inside the tanks; this is to prevent rusting while in storage. All manufacturers do this -- some have had problems with this protectant getting into FI systems or carbs, and gumming things up. To prevent this, dealers are instructed to always fill the gas tank completely releasing the unit to customers; thus helping to "dilute" the protectant. Some dealers (in an ill-advised attempt to save gas money) were only filling up the tanks with enough fuel to get the customer to a gas station -- creating problems similar to what we're seeing on the 08 Buddy: stalling, surging, loss of power, etc.

When I bought my 08 Italia a few weeks ago, I ran my finger on the inside rim and under the top of the gas tank, to check for rust/paint flaking/etc., and did see some "gunk" and "flecks" of some substance. I immediately put in about 1/3 of a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner, then filled the tank (I had about 1/2 tank at this point). These cleaners are formulated to clean out residuals from bad fuel, "gunk," etc., in very dirty systems, so I figured running this through would help prevent any issues from the tank protectant. I haven't experienced any of the stalling/surging/etc. issues, but don't know if that's because of the fuel system cleaner I ran through, or because of that miscreant who removed the evap canister from my Buddy. I would suggest doing both, if you haven't already. Just don't put in an entire bottle of fuel system cleaner -- it probably wouldn't hurt anything, but it's designed for fuel tanks up to 13 gallons; totally unnecessary in a 1.7gallon tank.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sufferers of vapor lock: Consider drilling a small hole in your gas cap. It won't hurt anything. Gas will stay in the tank. Vapor will not!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
juliebsweet

Did the warranty cover it?

Post by juliebsweet »

This thread has saved my life. Thanks to everyone who gave information on this "stall out" problem. I am picking my 2008 Buddy 150 up from the dealer today after enduring the $300 tow it took after my second stall out. I only have 250 miles on it, and the mechanics at the dealership are acting like they've never seen this problem before. (Which may be true, of course.)

My question: to those of you who have had your Buddy into the dealership for this very problem, did the warranty cover the labor charges?

Thanks!
Julie
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Warranty should cover any charges for this problem. Are they invoicing you?

Did you use roadside assistance for the tow? That seems like a lot of $! You must live far from your dealer.
juliebsweet

Warranty?

Post by juliebsweet »

I did use roadside assistance. The overage I had to pay was $125, so the total cost was almost $300. Kind of a raw deal because in the area in which I live, the quickest way to the dealer is a 60-minute ferry ride away. So the tow co. charges for the time they have to sit on the ferry each way. I will be investing in some tie-downs and bugging a friend with a pick-up next time I need to go to the dealer! I'm hoping there won't be a next time.

Thanks for the info on warranty. They haven't invoiced me yet, but I'm nervous about the impending confrontation. I'm just expecting the worst after the guy from the service dept. mentioned the 1 hr 15 min he was writing up for the service.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

I just got my scoot back from the dealership yesterday from the vapor lock experience. THe dealer had contacted Genuine and Genuine is aware of the issue.

The good news is that Genuine instructed the dealer to drill the holes in the gas cap, pretty much identical to the pictures posted. That being said, everyone who has already done this shouldn't be concerned that it will void the warranty since Genuine is recommending it!
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Warranty?

Post by ericalm »

juliebsweet wrote:I'm just expecting the worst after the guy from the service dept. mentioned the 1 hr 15 min he was writing up for the service.
well, maybe it's to invoice Genuine...?

I definitely think that if you're presented with a bill, you should protest. Let them know that this is a known, well-documented and widespread problem with the '08s that's caused by the new metal gas tank and vapor recovery system. There's no reason you should have to pay for them to look at it or figure that out at this point.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Ronin wrote:I just got my scoot back from the dealership yesterday from the vapor lock experience. THe dealer had contacted Genuine and Genuine is aware of the issue.

The good news is that Genuine instructed the dealer to drill the holes in the gas cap, pretty much identical to the pictures posted. That being said, everyone who has already done this shouldn't be concerned that it will void the warranty since Genuine is recommending it!
OUTSTANDING!

Thanks for the heads-up.
Jeff • #2163
scullyfu

Re: Warranty?

Post by scullyfu »

juliebsweet wrote:I did use roadside assistance. The overage I had to pay was $125, so the total cost was almost $300. Kind of a raw deal because in the area in which I live, the quickest way to the dealer is a 60-minute ferry ride away. So the tow co. charges for the time they have to sit on the ferry each way. I will be investing in some tie-downs and bugging a friend with a pick-up next time I need to go to the dealer! I'm hoping there won't be a next time.

Thanks for the info on warranty. They haven't invoiced me yet, but I'm nervous about the impending confrontation. I'm just expecting the worst after the guy from the service dept. mentioned the 1 hr 15 min he was writing up for the service.
hey there, julie. did the tow company tell you up front about the extra charges? did you question them? i think you may want to contact the actual roadside folks; they use contractors in different areas & may want to hear about what those tow folks are up to. if that had happened to me, i know i'd have a definite issue with that scenario.

also, if you have your scooter insurance with progressive, check out adding their roadside for about $10/annual. they will take you to the nearest qualified repair shop, regardless of the distance. i'm assuming in your case it is ducati seattle.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
juliebsweet

Roadside assistance

Post by juliebsweet »

Thanks for the suggestion, Skullyfu. I do have Progressive, so that sounds like a good way to go.

Yes, the tow company did call before service and warn me of the overage charge. Even Roadside Assistance said to expect it, due to the ferry commute.

I'm happy to report that the dealership did not try to charge me for the service. I printed this forum thread (all 14 pages) and handed to the mechnanic to review. I'm going back this weekend and hoping to have some more answers.
carol

stalling

Post by carol »

hi all, just got home after having to have my new buddy towed for this problem. this was the 3rd time it stalled...by the time i tried over and over again to start it up the battery went dead.
roadside service came to pick it up, spoke to my dealer who informed me that he was going to drill the gas cap...
keeping my fingers crossed. VERY FRUSTRATING to be dealing with this on a brand new scoot...if she wasn't so dang cute i might have gotten upsent over this!
happy ridin'
ernie

Post by ernie »

Since I drilled my cap I've had zero problems. :shock:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ernie wrote:Since I drilled my cap I've had zero problems. :shock:
Hooray! DIY solution to what seemed like a dire problem.

Here's some advice for those with Buddy 150s:
Take the cap off the gas tank before drilling it. :wink:
Glen G

Same problem in Arizona

Post by Glen G »

Yea, sounds like same problem here but it's been 118 degrees in Phoenix this week! I get a huge amount of leaking, right onto the Exhaust which scares me as the Buddy 125 sits in my garage. And leaks most after I shut it down. Took to dealer, and he "drained" the hose but said he could not get all the fuel out of the Filter. Only had one stall since but even at half tank, it still leaks. This is a serious fire issue, Know someone said it's no big deal, really don't agree with that. I wrote Genuine, no response. Anyone else heard from Genuine?

Thanks,
Glen
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

Not to beat a dead horse, but can this happen with a nearly empty tank? My needle was nearly on the peg this morning and I stalled out about a block from work. It happened for the first time Sunday after a long ride with runtotorun121 and her husband. That time I had around 1/4 tank and it came back to life on it's own pretty swiftly. Today though, it's not nearly as warm, it wasn't a long ride at all, 30 minutes or so, and the tanks was nearly empty. Please tell me some holes will fix my issues, at least my scooter related ones.
Glen G

hi from glen

Post by Glen G »

Hi, that Runtotorun is a nice lady! Don't know if it is same problem by my local dealer emailed me today... they are really nice people. Said they have not received an official bulletin from Genuine but they will be calling today to find out for sure. Now, see, that's customer service! Tell you what I hear. Guess I"m gonna have to buy some extras next time I"m in thier store ;-)!
carol

Post by carol »

okay, got SATCHEL back on friday afternoon...my dealer did the deed->drilled the cap...
i rode it home, around 40-45 miles and have been riding it daily since then and it is running great! woo hoo
keeping my fingers crossed that this is it for stalling out.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

I had the same issue.... drilled the cap..... no more probs.... nuff said
Glen G

How my local dealer is handling

Post by Glen G »

tdaley26 wrote:I had the same issue.... drilled the cap..... no more probs.... nuff said
FYI, My Buddy dealer (very good people) saw all these posts, contacted Genuine, and contacted me this morning. Said Genuine is aware of issue, however dealer did not say a formal fix has been given. I believe Genuine suggested temp fix to drill my gas cap. This is until an older style gas cap, which dealer has on order for me, arrives. Want to say it's called a breather cap, but I may be wrong. In my case, pros handle it, but that's just me. I would not look at this as the end all, but just what the dealer is doing in my case and I'm happy.

Cheers,

G
pagodadesign

Post by pagodadesign »

I have a 2008 Buddy Pamplona with about 165 miles on it. Stalled and died on me today in traffic as well, had about a 1/4 tank of gas, lost power and just sounded like it was being suffocated from fuel.

I pulled over and immediately started looking the scooter over to see what was up. When I looked under the scooter, I noticed the end of a small rubber tube sticking out by my kickstand, about the diameter of a pencil and that the end hanging down wasn't attached to anything.

I traced the tube up and it looks like it's attached to the underside of the carbuerator (i think that 's what it is, it's under the access hatch inside the seat compartment).

Should this be attached to something? It's a smaller diameter tube than the other ones coming off or into the carb.

After it set for a while I was able to start it and get it home but the tube is still unattached on the end of it leading off the carb.

Thanks,
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Piedmont wrote:Please tell me some holes will fix my issues, at least my scooter related ones.
Weeeeeellll? What the heck is going on with Carmen??? Did you call Scooterworld and talk to them yet? Hope you don't get the snotty guy. . . :wink:

I feel sort of piggish, but I feel the need to reiterate, I am awful glad Buddina is a year old and not being as persnickety as these young 'uns.
Glen G wrote:This is until an older style gas cap, which dealer has on order for me, arrives. Want to say it's called a breather cap, but I may be wrong. In my case, pros handle it, but that's just me. I would not look at this as the end all, but just what the dealer is doing in my case and I'm happy.
Glad to hear you are getting a helpful response and getting something done. :) Also good information about the gas cap. I was pretty sure my dear sweet hubby told me about some vented cap thingy. Can't wait to hear if this solves your problem.

So are you planning to hold and get an '09 Bud for yourself rather than pick up another '08?
~Celebrate~
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pagodadesign wrote:I have a 2008 Buddy Pamplona with about 165 miles on it. Stalled and died on me today in traffic as well, had about a 1/4 tank of gas, lost power and just sounded like it was being suffocated from fuel.

I pulled over and immediately started looking the scooter over to see what was up. When I looked under the scooter, I noticed the end of a small rubber tube sticking out by my kickstand, about the diameter of a pencil and that the end hanging down wasn't attached to anything.

I traced the tube up and it looks like it's attached to the underside of the carbuerator (i think that 's what it is, it's under the access hatch inside the seat compartment).

Should this be attached to something? It's a smaller diameter tube than the other ones coming off or into the carb.

After it set for a while I was able to start it and get it home but the tube is still unattached on the end of it leading off the carb.

Thanks,
If it's what I think it is, then it actually shouldn't be attached to anything. It's an air tube.
Rockledge Buddy

Post by Rockledge Buddy »

I have posted a similiar message on another thread but I figure it would be good to post here as well.

I have a Pamplona 150 with just over 600 miles on it. I encountered the stalling/power loss problem while I was on my way home from work. Checked on the modern buddy postings and couldn't figure out the problem. I contacted the dealer and thought it was the automatic choke kicking in when the engine got warm. I took it to the dealer, they replaced the choke and unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. I ended up having to leave it there :( I called them yesterday and apparently Genuine is sending out replacement gas caps to fix the vapor lock problem (although I am not convinced it is the problem). The tech seemed knowledgeble, but I made sure I pointed out that I really need to make sure that the problem is taken care of since its a bit of a trek to the dealship. I mentioned the charcol canister doohicky, vapor lock and bad fuel...so I am praying that they will get it nailed down 100%. The only bonus and it is a big one in my opinion is that they are going to deliver the scooter back to me (55 mile trip)......can't wait. I'll be using it more as a commuter as soon as I get it back. If it turns out the problem was caused by anything other than those mentioned I'll let everyone know.
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

runtotorun121 wrote: I feel sort of piggish, but I feel the need to reiterate, I am awful glad Buddina is a year old and not being as persnickety as these young 'uns.
Hey, I never had a problem until you made me say it out loud :P after that it was only a matter of hours.
I haven't called up to the shop yet. I'll wait until it happens again, but my fingers are crossed that it's just a little water in the gas tank. My drill's charging now, so I'll give it a drill tonight just in case.
skul501

Post by skul501 »

I know this may sound odd, but I was having the same problem with my Italia 150. I would be driving my scooter and it would just loose power and if you let off on the throttle it would sputter, backfire and shut off or just loose power. Sometimes it would be very difficult to restart. So I took it back to the dealer twice to figure out the problem.
Anyway long story short, it is a venting problem with the gas tank. The tank isn't venting causing a vacuum inside the tank, since it is gravity fed (no fuel pump) the vacuum keeps the fuel from steadily flowing into the fuel line. And when you release the throttle it actually pulls the fuel "backwards" starving the carburetor. So the dealer drilled a tiny pin-hole on the underside of the gas cap, INSIDE THE RUBBER RING!
I am currently hunting down a vented gas cap for the scooter, but as of now problem solved, and no gas leaking either. I filled my tank very full to test it out, no problem. I have gone through almost 2 tanks of gas with no sputtering. I hope that helps...
scootersRhogs2

Post by scootersRhogs2 »

my scooter salesman just drilled a hole in my gas cap. ( to let the fumes escape). it runss fine now. they said that should do until they get the new gas caps genuine is shipping.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I drilled mine according to a picture pocphil posted, seems to still run fine, guess it's doing it's job! Then again I usually just open my gas cap after I turn my bike off. Let out some pressure, Guess I dont need to anymore!
Drew

Post by Drew »

My new Buddy 125 stalled on me three times. The first time was on the first tank of gas from the dealer. It had about a quarter tank of gas when it happened. It started right back up again but I thought I was running out of gas so I filled it up. Next time I got below a half a tank it stalled on me two more times. By then I had seen this thread so I drilled the gas cap and it has not happened since.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I wouldnt worry about "Gas smell" in the trunk, the seat itself separates the gas and the storage area, if you look at the opened seat, there is a divider that keeps gas from storage. Plus, the buddy seat isnt fully enclosed, it has small gaps on the back side, any gas fumes would just escape off into the air.
Glen G

dealer fix

Post by Glen G »

Today my dealer put on a vented cap from 50cc Buddy, (know everyone likes to drill manly holes) but hey, I like things the easy way.

Seems PERFECT and SIMPLE! we'll see.

G
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Posted in another thread, but i want to make sure everyone reads this...
ericalm wrote:
MFrost wrote:I just called Genuine & spoke with a customer servive person named Cindy and she confirmed that there was a known gas cap problem . However, she said that Genuine WAS NOT going to replace the caps, but we could always buy a new vented cap.
Mike
That's incorrect.

I just spoke with Phil McCaleb (owner of Genuine) about this. The issue is solely with the gas caps, not the tanks themselves. Genuine is sending out replacement gas caps to all dealers. They are also sending stickers warning riders not to overfill the tanks.

So there you are—the official word!
So if you have an '08 150, talk to your dealer about getting a replacement gas cap.