question on Buddy's and pickups

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

birdmove

question on Buddy's and pickups

Post by birdmove »

I'm wondering if anyone here has maybe two Buddy's, and weather or not two could be loaded into a Toyota Tacoma pickup. Heres what my wife and I have been doing: We have a Honda Matreo (wife) and a Honda Ruckus.We've been having a good time exploring the local islands in the Puget Sound area such as the San Juans, Bainbridge etc. We can easily load both scoots into my Toyota Tacoma pickup, haul them up to Anacortes (or Seattle), unload them, go straight to the head of the line at the ferry boat, and ride them on. Then scoot around the island for a couple of days, and then when we leave, go to the head of the line again for the trip home. The head of the line part is key here-in a car, you may not even get off the island on a busy day.
We've been talking about getting some larger scoots, like thr Buddy, or a 125 Vino, but if we can't easily load/unload as above, then the idea isn't worthwhile. I can easily load our current scoots by myself with no problem in just a few minutes, and don't want to give this up.

Thanks, Jon in Puyallup
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

There are a number of different ramps that make loading in and out of a pickup pretty easy. You may want to go to Tundrasolutions dot com and check out the towing section. There are a lot of Taco owners ther and they may be able to help you out too. (I'm Tundrasport over there) Another alternative is a hitch hauler. I use a tilt-a-ramp that fits into a 2" class III receiver. I use it with my Tundra and also with my motorhome. I use a single carrier for one Buddy 125 but I do know that they are manufactured for two. You do have to check your hitch and vehicle ratings, but the B125 with a full tank of gas and the hauler weigh in under 300 lbs. Good Luck! Sounds like a great place to scoot around!

BR Not-David
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I suspect that both would fit fine. I rented a larger truck than the Tacoma to pick up my Buddy, and I could have fit two with PLENTY of room leftover. As far as loading by yourself, I had to leave town suddenly, and my boyfriend unloaded the Buddy by himself (I had bought some plywood cut in half for a ramp), and he said it was very easy to unload by himself.
sparty

Post by sparty »

That's good to know. I am thinking of getting a pick-up... but I am currently on my third year of a 5-year auto loan, so it looks I might be stuck with my gas-hungry SUV for a while.