just went on my first real ride!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bjj4287

just went on my first real ride!

Post by bjj4287 »

i dont have my motorscycle permit or anything but i have been riding around the neighborhood and i got the nerve to go on a fairly well drivin road and went to the gas station.. it was awesome!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Isnt that illegal? :?
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

If you were stopped, it could penalize your driver's license.

If you live in a State that allows you to ride on a motorcylce permit, study up and take your test so you can ride wherever. Why take a chance on getting a ticket and pay a fine besides?

You've got bit by the scooter bug...have fun!
bjj4287

Post by bjj4287 »

ha tru tru.. i wont do it again untill i get my permit
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

ryder1 wrote:If you were stopped, it could penalize your driver's license.

If you live in a State that allows you to ride on a motorcylce permit, study up and take your test so you can ride wherever. Why take a chance on getting a ticket and pay a fine besides?

Technically a neighborhood road is also a public street, that too is illegal to ride on without a permit. Police do patrol those areas. I've seen a few in my own neighborhood.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This is the most risk-averse group of scooterists ever!

(ModernBuddy does not condone illegal behavior of any sort. Congrats on the new scoot!)

:)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

jfrost2 wrote:
ryder1 wrote:If you were stopped, it could penalize your driver's license.

Technically a neighborhood road is also a public street, that too is illegal to ride on without a permit. Police do patrol those areas. I've seen a few in my own neighborhood.
Yep, that's why I said to get the motorcycle permit then the person could ride on any street as long as their State allows it. Some states do NOT allow you to ride alone on a motorcycle permit at all.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Risk Averse! BAH!

I took my Buddy out for the first time today. In the rain. And the cold. And the wind.

And I rode it hard and put it away damp.

Got it up to 63MPH (according to the speedo).

Drove some coastal roads.

Had a delightful lunch on the water's edge.

Went 30 miles and I'm still grinning.

Still need plates for it, but in MA you have seven days to get those with a new purchase. I plan to ride again tomorrow and then Saturday and maybe even Sunday and yes, Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'm risk-averse averse.

YAY!
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

bjj4287 wrote:ha tru tru.. i wont do it again untill i get my permit
...good luck with that. :roll:

That's why I got my permit BEFORE I got my Bud. I rode for two weeks with an expired tag and nobody noticed... I even had cops directly behind me and then pull up next to me and smile and wave! They're too busy checking out the scoot to check if you're legit.
bjj4287

Post by bjj4287 »

but i am 16 so that kinda works against me lol
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Hey I'm 22 and people are always thinking I'm 17!!! I don't know what the deal is. Then Some guy thought I was 25? Am I that odd looking that you can't pinpoint an age?! :lol:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Hey I'm 22 and people are always thinking I'm 17!!! I don't know what the deal is. Then Some guy thought I was 25? Am I that odd looking that you can't pinpoint an age?! :lol:
Oh, my back! Oh, my 401K! Argh, the agony of growing old!

People get my age wrong all the time. I have no problem at all with those who assume I'm much younger. I also don't expect to have that "problem" forever. ;)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

North carolina MSF website says the course is 170 dollars.

Call 1-800-428-7433 for information, it says you can take the class on a scooter also. But you gotta confirm it with the people teaching the class.

http://www.ncmotorcyclesafety.org/index.htm

Glad I live in ohio! We get free MSF courses if your under 18. :D Otherwise, it's only 25 dollars here for adults.
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

enough about the legality of it...

glad you had a fun time. the first scoot is amazing even if you dont make it out of the parking lot youre practicing in. :)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Congrats!
Just be very careful your first couple week until you get the hang of things - I would be more worried about being safe than the permit issue.
Yeah... and good luck not riding it until you get your permit (I am sure you will be able to stay off of it) because that is the legal thing to do. :rofl:

have fun & ride safe
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

there are laws surrounding the riding of scooters?!?! Oops! :headache:
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Did you say you need a Dr License before you can test for a motorcycle permit?

Hmm...
twoscoots

Post by twoscoots »

Y'all want to know how I learned to ride a motorcycle? I backed the brand-new Sportster I'd just bought off the trailer, knowing I'd have to figure out how to shift gears to get it back up the ramp. I rode it to my MSF class, too.
bjj, be very very careful until you get your permit. I had the advantage of being a twenty-something 5'10" skinny blonde when I was driving around with no license. Somehow I doubt you could bat your eyes hard enough to get out of a ticket. :lol:
It's your parents' job to rain on your parade, not mine, so have a good time!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I am not telling the kid to break the law... but....
maybe it is a matter of perspective... I have a 17 year old son & if the only illegal thing he does this year is take my scooter for a spin, I will be very happy. My son is a good kid... but I was a teenager once & we all know what kinds of things they can get into at that age.

bjj4287 - weather you ride before your permit or not, be sure to take it easy & develop your riding skills as you get comfortable with your new scoot.
Have fun.
louie

Post by louie »

ericalm wrote:[
People get my age wrong all the time. I have no problem at all with those who assume I'm much younger. I also don't expect to have that "problem" forever. ;)
oh it'll come eric. the day i hit 30 people finally stopped carding me. 40 and i needed bifocals. we'll see what 50 brings in a few months. aarp i here.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

louie wrote:
ericalm wrote:[
oh it'll come eric. the day i hit 30 people finally stopped carding me. 40 and i needed bifocals. we'll see what 50 brings in a few months. aarp i here.
See? I'm 38. Still get carded! Woo hoo! The benefits of being half Asian (and exfoliating—can't recommend it enough). Problem is, after I cross a certain threshold, I'm going wake up one morning looking like I'm 80.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

People tell me "Arent those things for little kids in the neighborhoods"

Or "Those things or for old geezers who cant learn clutch, get a real bike"