Banjo Brothers Commuter Backpack

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Banjo Brothers Commuter Backpack

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

Hello - does anybody have this:

http://www.banjobrothers.com/products/01150.php

I am deperately seeking a waterproof laptop backpack for commuting in the Seattle area. Any suggestions help. I know there are many posts about messenger bags here but I need WATERPROOF and professional. I don't trust the flap-over top of a messenger bag to withstand puddlesplashes, traffic spray, etc.

Thanks.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Heya scoot, sorry to say I don't have this, but I am very glad that you posted the link because if it's as good as it says it is, I may have to purchase one as well!

I'll search around and see if I can dig anything more up on it by chance!
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Here is one review that may shed some light on this one scoot.

http://pedalmaniac.blogspot.com/2007/10 ... eview.html
ScootingInTheRain

Thanks, that is a great review. I'll have to mull it over. I might just get an Ogio Mastermind (I get a little discount at work) then throw an REI rain cover over it, like the guy said in the review.

It's all moot until I get my Tangerine...(should be a couple weeks...)

~SITR
ScooterNewbie

Post by ScooterNewbie »

http://web.mac.com/chicagowig/www.chica ... acks_.html

The guy makes custom bags that look like they're pretty high quality. It's called chicago wig. It's a bit pricier than the banjobrothers though. worth a shot,
Robbie: You hit two cones back there. Those could have been people... they could have been guests at her wedding!

Sammy: [exasperated] They were *cones*!
paige

Post by paige »

http://www.seallinegear.com/

My husband won this messenger bag in a scooter raffle and used that bag for a year before something shiny caught his attention. Good quality, seemed pretty freakin waterproof to me, but we are not in Seattle.
Bender

Post by Bender »

I recommend taking a look at what Timbuk2 has to offer. They are known for their messenger bags but they make backpacks too. All of them come with a water proof liner. I use mine every day.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/home
charltons

Post by charltons »

I've started using a dry bag inside my backpack to carry my laptop, sealsomething or other is the brand. They're the kind used by kayakers and canoers. Very durable, very waterproof. It's very little extra work, but a lot of security against the elements.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
ScootingInTheRain

ScooterNewbie wrote:http://web.mac.com/chicagowig/www.chica ... acks_.html

The guy makes custom bags that look like they're pretty high quality. It's called chicago wig. It's a bit pricier than the banjobrothers though. worth a shot,
I watched a couple of their YouTube product videos and they sort of smugly dismiss my exact concern. Something like "Yeah, water can get in under the flap. That's life. HARDCORE!!!!" OK, I added the "HARDCORE" part, but I actually need protection from water.

I have been searching for days. I found one Timbuk2, the "Pro" series backpack, that looked promising but doesn't seem to be a current product. The Banjo Brothers backpack appears to be the best bet.

And the racing stripes will match my Corazzo 5.0.

~SITR
ScootingInTheRain

OK - if anybody is interested, I just ordered one from spokeGirl.com.

Their Yahoo-based ecomm system didn't add shipping, but added about $5.50 tax, which seems weird, because they are in like Minnesota or something. I think the $5.50 is actually the shipping, but I may be incorrect. Or they screwed up.

Anyway, total was $85. This bag gets great reviews by cyclists, when it arrives I will post a review with pics, from a NOOB scooterist perspective.

~SITR
paige

Post by paige »

That looks like a good bag. Please review it when you get some miles on it.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

ScootingInTheRain wrote:OK - if anybody is interested, I just ordered one from spokeGirl.com.

Their Yahoo-based ecomm system didn't add shipping, but added about $5.50 tax, which seems weird, because they are in like Minnesota or something. I think the $5.50 is actually the shipping, but I may be incorrect. Or they screwed up.

Anyway, total was $85. This bag gets great reviews by cyclists, when it arrives I will post a review with pics, from a NOOB scooterist perspective.

~SITR
It looks like a great bag for bicycle. You piqued my interest with your original post. I commute on my scoot and currently use a backpack to carry my coffee, gym clothes and occasionally my laptop. I'm trying to work out how to protect the laptop if I get caught in the rain and so far I've just been double bagging it with plastic shopping bags, that I keep in the pocket of the pack. It doesn't keep anything else dry so I'm looking for an alternative. The Banjo Bros bag looks like it will ride too low for the scoot. My current one just about rests on the seat as it is and the BBros is made to ride on the hips - for bicycle posture. I'll be interested to see how it works for you.

In the mean time I looked at Timbuk2 and found the Underground Day Pack, which is waterproof, has a pocket for the laptop and enough space for everything else I carry daily. Also $85,
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/lap ... d-day-pack

I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag from my cycling days that I love - durable, waterproof and it works great now as a beach bag - I can even load it with ice and beverages.
ScootingInTheRain

BeachBuzz wrote:
ScootingInTheRain wrote:OK - if anybody is interested, I just ordered one from spokeGirl.com.

~SITR
It looks like a great bag for bicycle. You piqued my interest with your original post. I commute on my scoot and currently use a backpack to carry my coffee, gym clothes and occasionally my laptop. I'm trying to work out how to protect the laptop if I get caught in the rain and so far I've just been double bagging it with plastic shopping bags, that I keep in the pocket of the pack. It doesn't keep anything else dry so I'm looking for an alternative. The Banjo Bros bag looks like it will ride too low for the scoot. My current one just about rests on the seat as it is and the BBros is made to ride on the hips - for bicycle posture. I'll be interested to see how it works for you.

In the mean time I looked at Timbuk2 and found the Underground Day Pack, which is waterproof, has a pocket for the laptop and enough space for everything else I carry daily. Also $85,
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/lap ... d-day-pack

I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag from my cycling days that I love - durable, waterproof and it works great now as a beach bag - I can even load it with ice and beverages.
I guess I have been burned by marketing too many times. Timbuk2 says things like "Waterproof bottom" and "fully-lined Nylon interior" but says nothing of the overall waterproofness of the bag (like zippers, flaps, and seams...). My buyer-beware sense goes off. If they don't brag about it, it doesn't exist. If they hint at it, it doesn't really exist. I'd like them to come right out and say "This bag will withstand prolonged moderate rain and keep your items dry."

The Banjo Borthers has been reviewed by people blasting water on it with a hose, leaving it out overnight in a rainstorm, etc. I don't see those types of testimonials for Timbuk2. There is a video of someone pouring a water bottle over their messenger bag to prove it's waterproof, but again this is only in a vertical direction.

Sorry to be a crab, American marketing has jaded me (...this coming from an MBA).

I'm glad to hear your messenger bag was waterproof, what were the conditions? Heavy rain? Riding through puddles? Getting splashed by cars?

If anyone else also has experience with their Timbuk2 bak in moderate rain for prolonged periods, please reply.

Thanks!
~SITR
ScootingInTheRain

Clarification:

I jsut found this in the FAQ of Timbuk2's site:

ARE TIMBUK2 BAGS WATERPROOF?
The exterior of our bag — the Cordura® or Ballistic Nylon — provides durability, and the lining provides moisture protection. So if you’ve got the bag closed properly, your stuff should stay dry.

Most companies consider Cordura® alone to be “waterproof.” We know that’s not completely true. After a typical, unlined Cordura® daypack is more than a month or two old, it just will not keep your stuff dry in a serious rain. Our messenger bags, on the other hand, have a fully waterproof liner for extra protection.

That said, be aware that these are not like kayakers’ dry bags with welded seams and a roll-down flap. Dry bags provide the very best in moisture protection but are inconvenient to use on a daily basis when you need to easily get in and out of your bag.

Water resistant and convenient for daily use, Timbuk2 bags give you the best of both worlds.

That helps me a little. Again, though, they are covering their bases by saying "...if you've got the bag closed properly..." To me, this gives them an out.

I'm getting crusty. Doesn't feel good.

~SITR
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

I understand your concern and your need for absolute protection. I dont intend to ride through a multi directional hose pressure rain on my commute. My needs are probably different than yours and I believe the T2 bag will serve me well - if I deceide to go that route. I'm not buying anything yet - still wrapping the laptop in plastic and hoping it gets home dry. If I know it's going to rain I usually leave the laptop at the office and let the rest get wet. I am very interested in your review of the BB pack and how it fits/rides on the scooter.

ride happy 8)
10gallonhat

Post by 10gallonhat »

I have a $60 backpack from Target made by Swiss Gear.
Nothing fancy - but a nice padded laptop sleeve, and it is extremely good in the rain. Just keep the zippers zipped to one side and not the top since thats the only way any water has ever gotten in.

http://www.target.com/Swiss-Gear-Backpa ... rmy&page=1
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

I've just placed an order for the Banjo Brothers Commuter Backpack as well. I'm a Training Manager and I have to lug home large facilitator guides all the time.

This backpack should be plenty large enough to hold the guide, my covey planner, a great dane, and my ipod all pretty comfortably!