Grocery Shopping!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MikieTaps

Grocery Shopping!

Post by MikieTaps »

Here is a little pic of my buddy with a full week of groceries loaded up. One plastic bag hanging off each side of the seat, with the handles on the two little posts under the seat, then a paper bag with 2 1/2 gallons of milk and huge jug of OJ on the front floor board, and also, the pet carrier was carrying another bag of food... plus it got myself and my girlfriend home. Those under seat posts, or pegs, or spikes... what ever they are called, are amazing for holding plastics bags...

aerogirl7

Post by aerogirl7 »

Can't tell from the pic, but if you have a rear rack, you can bungee even more stuff to that. I'm a big fan of bringing a couple reuseable grocery bags with me (the kind that cost 99 cents at the grocery store...as they hold more and are much more durable) and strapping them to the back of the scoot. :D
At midnight, I'll turn into a pumpkin and drive away in my glass slipper. ~Roman Holiday
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

we usually bring our reusable bags, but we were allready out and went to the local co-op which has a reused bags box at the front :D

No rear rack yet... :?
Christy

Post by Christy »

my recent grocery trip...and I need to go again today... :)
EPSP #76
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Mikie and Christy, I know this may be a silly question, but from looking at your photos where in the heck are you putting your feet? :shock:

I love that you are able to transport so much when you are shopping! Great job, guys!!! :)
~Celebrate~
Christy

Post by Christy »

my feet go right there on the floor board. the bags I use are canvas market totes and the contents are squishy. sure it looks like it's taking up all the floor board space, but it's not. I was easily able to get both of my feet on the floor board without any problems.
EPSP #76
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

my girlfriend put her feet where she normally does on the passenger "foot pegs" and i put mine up on the floorboard near the bottom of the "glove box" I just realized how many " " are needed when describing parts on the buddy :P
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

Christy wrote: my recent grocery trip...and I need to go again today... :)
You park in a parking space?!? I pull right up to the door, literally. Nothing beats rock star parking
scoots4me

Post by scoots4me »

You guys crack me up! I can't wait until I have enough skills under my belt to fill up the scoot and show off my pics. You all rock!
*** scootie scoot scoot ***
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Make sure to balance and center the load. With the scoot only weighing approx 250lbs, anything too heavy too off center can make your ride a little squiggly…
Christy

Post by Christy »

schlagle wrote:
Christy wrote: my recent grocery trip...and I need to go again today... :)
You park in a parking space?!? I pull right up to the door, literally. Nothing beats rock star parking
yeah, that time I did because that grocery store doesn't have any sidewalk available that isn't necessary space for entering and exiting the store...and the cops in my ridiculous town would ticket me for impeding that space.

Today, though, I went to my regular store and didn't get a picture (i forgot) and there I am able to park right up next to the door. They have a little picnic table set up there for their employees breaks and I park right next to it.

This time, I tried the little pegs (the helmet hook pegs) under the seat. Hooking a bag of groceries off each. It worked fine but I didn't have my market totes and I was VERY worried about the plastic bags tearing in the wind and losing my groceries. Me and all my groceries made it home safely. :)
EPSP #76
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Can I join the club now? :) I have bought a few things and tossed them under my seat and/or bungeed my canvas shopping bag to my back rack, but being inspired by your posts I was determined that I could get a watermelon home when I saw they were on sale. :shock: Yes, I had just gone into the store to check on doggie vitamins but walked out with a cantelope, grapes, strawberries, lettuce, AND a rather large watermelon. I was confident the first few items would go in the saddlebags without me fishing out my bungees for for the back rack, and then I had to decide about the watermelon. . .

Of course I didn't have my canvas bag, so I was left with the flimsy plastic store bags. The watermelon would have fit under the seat if it wasn't for that thing in the bottom that pokes up a couple of inches, so then I had to decide whether or not to bungee a really round (i.e. Roll-ey) fruit on back or try the helmet pegs or front hook. After eyeballing things a bit I decided that I would be more balanced and feel safer if the green guy would stay put on the floor between my feet, so I double-bagged him and looped him on the front hook.

I must admit I wondered if the plastic handles were going to hold up to the turns, but all went well, and I made it home with all my fruit in tact, and when I called my husband at work he seemed pretty impressed I made it home with a roll-potential WATERMELON! :wink:

Felt goooooood!
~Celebrate~
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Chico Bags rock.

They "self stuff" into the size of the purple one in the center and hook on to your keychain! Sturdy...and holds a bunch.

http://store.chicobag.com/
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i definately recomend double plastic if it is gonna be hanging off of any of the hooks
edit: I am not saying that it is sketchy, just the extra layer is reassuring
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

In desperate situations, I've hooked two bags together under the seat to make makeshift saddlebags. Just make sure they're clear of the pipe.

And +1 on balancing, you can REALLY screw up your handling with an unbalanced load. If you carry a lot of stuff often, get the front rack to balance out the top box/rack.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
scoots4me

Post by scoots4me »

So for a newer rider, would you recommend trying a secure backpack first before loading stuff onto the scooter? Then next safest in line - front basket if you have it? How would you rate "best place to add load" (insert jokes on THAT phrase here :oops: ) for people?
*** scootie scoot scoot ***
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

OScoot! wrote:Chico Bags rock.

They "self stuff" into the size of the purple one in the center and hook on to your keychain! Sturdy...and holds a bunch.

OMGosh! I just followed the link and loooooove those! Hubby just bought something for the MC on eBay so now I guess I can get a bag (or two :wink: )!

Thanks for the great product recommendation!
~Celebrate~
SarahScoot

Post by SarahScoot »

Just had to butt in and say mmm... Madison Market Co-Op... I'm assuming that's where you went :-) I'm jealous. We do have a Met. Market and a PCC here in West Seattle, but nothing quite like Madison. We will be getting a Whole Foods next year. I've yet to complete anything more than a one-bag grocery run, but my bungee cords and cargo net are all ready for when I do!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

yeah it was madison market co-op, love that place, the people that work there are awesome!
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

100% agreement about Madison's Farmer's Market--AWESOME! We go up there from Chicago with a giant cooler.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

oh hahaha, I was talking about the Madison Market Co-Op grocery store here in Seattle...

The Madison Wisconsin farmers co-op... it that what you are refering too?
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

OScoot! wrote:Chico Bags rock.

I also followed the link, and will be heading to my local retailer tomorrow to pick up a couple. What a great resource -- thanks!
SScooterG

Post by SScooterG »

speaking of AWESOME grocery bags CYMA has a good selection - inexpensive, but I can vouch for the quality...plus you get a free bag!

http://www.amazon.com/Insulated-Reusabl ... 79&sr=1-18
Daisyscoot

Post by Daisyscoot »

Please keep posting the pictures of Buddy's on a grocery run! I love getting new ideas on how to tote things on the Buddy! I can't wait until I can get the courage up to go get grocery's on my new Buddy!! I'll be SOOO excited!!
Can't wait to go to Bike night on my scoot scoot