Seattle Buddies?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Seattle Buddies?

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

Hi - this is a silly post because I should be using the map (if it worked).

I'd like to get an informal tally of MB members/lurkers who are in the Seattle area. I am about to get one and it would be great to get to know other owners in the community, and possibly put gatherings together.

I suppose I should be using a "meetup" site, but lo, I am a noob.

Anyway, please post a response if you are in Seattle or surroundings, and if you have any resources for Seattle-based buddy cameraderie.

Thanks!
~almostSITR
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

1st Hill Representing! WOOT!!! :D

I would love to go on rides with other buddies... PM me.
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

I work in South Lake Union and can be seen riding around there and up to Greenwood.

There's an event at the Scoot About rental place (South Lake Union) this sat from noon to 2.

http://scootinseattle.com/index.html
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

and i love your name... it is SOOOO Seattle appropriate, especially the last 2 weeks!
SarahScoot

Post by SarahScoot »

Pamplona in West Seattle here! I work just north of the market, so technically Belltown, and just got up the nerve to start commuting today. It's a lot colder than I expected, but lots of fun :-)
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

we need to get a seattle buddy ride together! Anyone going to the all city scooter day this saturday? wanna go for a ride before or after?
petunia

Post by petunia »

Another one in West Seattle, I scoot mostly to downtown.
scaps

Post by scaps »

Girlfriend and I are on the west side of Capital Hill. Though my black Buddy just got totaled :( , she just got a brand new Italia. Until two weeks ago I could be seen riding on Eastlake daily.
Capt. Spaulding

Post by Capt. Spaulding »

An old codger in Ballard here. I commute downtown on Buddy most days, but avoid Elliott Ave, especially now with the construction. Fremont and Dexter is my route.

I'll probably try and get to the Seattle Community Scooter day. Red Bud, topcase, B&W checked seat, windshield, chrome fender. Say hi if you see me.
Capt. Spaulding

Whoever named it necking was a poor judge of anatomy.
crookedterror

Post by crookedterror »

Black Buddy in Wallingford. Just added a checkerboard stripe to the front. Always have the ugly milk crate on the back. Oh yeeeaaaahhh!!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i love seeing all these seattle buddies coming out of the woodwork!
Shortie

Post by Shortie »

Red Buddy
Creme Buddy

2 of us in Greenwood

8) 8)
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

representin' ballard!
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

We officially need to do a buddy ride now!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

would anyone be down for an evening ride next week? if so, post up with your day preference and neighborhood you want to cruise, ill try to put something together
ScootingInTheRain

AAAAAAAAARRRRGH!!! :cry: you are killing me. I take my novice class starting the 24th (get to use a Buddy they have!) and who knows when mine will come in. I will definitely go on Seattle rides as soon as I have a license, a bike, and the correct size cojones (read: confidence).
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Who are you taking the class with? I hope you get your buddy soon, I need a riding buddy, preferably with a buddy :D
ScootingInTheRain

The class is with: http://www.pnwmotorcyclesafety.com/

Ducati Seattle (as you probably know) reserves some subsidized spots ($125) about 2-3 weeks out, instead of 2-3 months if you book it yourself.

I was actually encouraged to NOT take the class by a part-time employee there, but decided on it after talking with my brother (a Ducati owner, lives in Phoenix). He takes classes periodically even though he has been riding his entire life, even in the womb. He just took an advanced course to become a true kneedragger. He says he learns something vital every time. His recommendation is all I needed, I stopped riding dirtbikes when I was about 12 and could definitely use the novice knowledge.

~SITRanydaynow
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I still need to call them to try to get into a class, I have been so busy at work, and with the Coast Guard Auxiliary, I haven’t been able to find a weekend to do it… :oops:
zemacar

Seattle-ish, msf

Post by zemacar »

soon-to-be sitr:
I was actually encouraged to NOT take the class....
Glad you didn't listen. You'll learn enough to keep the shiny side up, most likely.
I am 16 mi. or so south of Seattle. The PO computer thinks that my zip code is Seattle.
Look, honey, it matches the dishes.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

hey zemacar,

wanna get a ride together? im willing to ride down there, my last couple group rides have fallen through...
SarahScoot

Post by SarahScoot »

SITR, I took the PNW class just a few weeks ago and used the Buddy they have. It's a cute little cream one, but be warned that the headpiece is damaged, so neither the odometer or speedometer work. Oh, it was fun trying to gauge my speed when I was first in line for exercises and they'd say we should be at about 12 mph... I think they should have given bonus points for that!
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

for all seattle riders: new and not so new. ;)

http://www.scootinseattle.com/

The First Event of Its Kind!

The Seattle All City Scooter Community Day takes place Saturday, June 14th, bringing together scooter riders, enthusiasts and prospective owners. Get answers to your questions, meet local club members, meet motorcycle safety class organizations, mingle and enjoy information and offerings from our sponsors. The event is open to all. We hope to see you there!

its FREE! come and get acquainted and lobby the council folk(s) who show up for better parking for scooters. :)
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

Upper Queen Anne

I took the Evergreen Motorcycle Safety Training. Subsidized pricing is usually during the winter. I did not pass the first time, but was able to sign up for practice time before I passed my 2nd try.

Do any of you ride Aurora Bridge? I find it scary. My car shakes when others drive by me while I'm waiting to turn off the QA exit.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Aurora Bridge? 99 north of seattle? Yeah I ride that, ive hit 65 mph on that =-)
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

and I am leading a ride after the scooter day thing... let me know if you wanna come and if you have any ideas of where to go, or if you wanna come along! :D
zemacar

aurora bridge?

Post by zemacar »

I've driven this area for a long time and that bridge scares me a little in a car!
MikieTaps

Re: aurora bridge?

Post by MikieTaps »

zemacar wrote:I've driven this area for a long time and that bridge scares me a little in a car!
it does get a bit gusty :twisted:
zemacar

Mikietaps

Post by zemacar »

...asked me if I want to organize a ride. Sorry for the delay in replying. Glad that you're organizing something (what? what?), but I have a full wkend already.

Feeling challenged by Mikietaps and losing sleep :wink: , eventually I had a few ideas:

- an all-day ride that might take some planning but less than 1 tank of gas. How about riding around Alki Pt to the Fauntleroy ferry dock, taking the ferry to Vashon, riding south to the Tahlequah ferry dock, taking that ferry to Pt Defiance, then riding through the park, Tacoma's waterfront and mostly along Marine View Drive back to W Seattle? (Well, I probably would peel off at my home in Des Moines.)

- there is a classic car and bike show at the Des Moines Fieldhouse on July 20. A gaggle of Buddys should invade that for sure.

- I saw a mention of a Ride for the Cure in my husband's SPEEA newsletter. Will have to check the date. Wanna join the big boys?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i was thinking of a shorter ride, since we will be starting around 2pm... I think I might stick witht he alki ride
ScootingInTheRain

...And now my hidden agenda. (not really, just thought this was the appropriate place to ask the following question).

Nobody seems to agree/converge on gloves. Some people use Lowe's gardening gloves, Others use 3-Finger Antarctic Expedition-grade gloves.

I'd like some medium-weight, synthetic (not a hard requirement), mostly water-resistant gloves with good articulation/feel for a beginner. I really like the fit and feel of Corazzo's Carbone ($50) and the Fieldsheer Highway ($65), but they're not waterproof. Should I just give in to the fact that my hands are going to get wet? Probably.

You all have extensive rain-riding experience. What do Seattle scooterists wear on their hands in spring/summer/fall rain? Just reply with what you actually wear and that should give me another dozen or so things to consider. (Have you noticed that when searching for gear, it seems endless? Like one review points to a brand you haven't considered, and so on?)

Thanks for any advice,
~SITRgoing nuts waiting for my Buddy
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i just wear some crappy leather gloves i got at ducati seattle. I think i am going to switch to some other material, im not sure what tho...
petunia

Post by petunia »

Traveling from West Seattle to downtown or north, the upper span and the viaduct is usually my route of choice.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Seattle Buddy rider quoted in =http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/transpor ... aper story:
"You can't argue with 80 miles to the gallon," said Denise Minard, 53, of Seattle after she pulled up her Genuine Buddy scooter. "It's my only transportation to work. My car died last August and I didn't want to put any money into it."
Not a bad story, though they did get the name of Amerivespa wrong. Oh well.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

denise is modernbuddy member maxpotter. :)
Spanky McWiggles

Another First Hill Buddy!

Post by Spanky McWiggles »

I'm quickly building up my confidence level...been riding the back roads to work in Lynnwood from First Hill, but braved 99 on Friday. Saturday was awesome! Thanks Mike for leading the ride to West Seattle. A majority Buddy posse sure would be fun! I'm up for some long fast rides!

-Matt
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

thanks for the good comments on the ride, i was feeling a little self conscious after i lost the back 75% of the group on the seattle waterfront... :(

But I waited and we all got back together, and since the end of the ride I have heard abour 96% positive responses. I guess I cant please everyone..
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

ScootingInTheRain wrote:...And now my hidden agenda. (not really, just thought this was the appropriate place to ask the following question).

Nobody seems to agree/converge on gloves. Some people use Lowe's gardening gloves, Others use 3-Finger Antarctic Expedition-grade gloves.

I'd like some medium-weight, synthetic (not a hard requirement), mostly water-resistant gloves with good articulation/feel for a beginner. I really like the fit and feel of Corazzo's Carbone ($50) and the Fieldsheer Highway ($65), but they're not waterproof. Should I just give in to the fact that my hands are going to get wet? Probably.

You all have extensive rain-riding experience. What do Seattle scooterists wear on their hands in spring/summer/fall rain? Just reply with what you actually wear and that should give me another dozen or so things to consider. (Have you noticed that when searching for gear, it seems endless? Like one review points to a brand you haven't considered, and so on?)

Thanks for any advice,
~SITRgoing nuts waiting for my Buddy
I wear a pair of Olympia's that are insulated and waterproof that I paid around $50 for. I bought them from Seattle Cycle on 99 (near Northgate way). http://www.seattlecycle.com/

IMO, the best gear shop in Seattle.
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

Mikie, thanks for leading the ride. Wished I couldn've stayed longer but had other commitments. It's hard to keep the group together with all of the lights and traffic. But it was cool riding down the waterfront.