Scoomute to work?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chrissolo48

Scoomute to work?

Post by chrissolo48 »

Hi all,

Does anyone commute back & forth to work on their scooter? Where do you park?

I am asking this because a co-worker rides to work once in awhile on her motorcycle and has had a problem with the gas evaporating from the tank while it sits in the hot sun all day.

I didn't think this would be an issue with my Buddy as the gas tank is buried beneath the seat. What are your thoughts? experiences? Thanks for all your input!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I commute everyday. Rain or Shine. I park in front of my office, near the front door. It is exposed to the elements, like I said, Rain of Shine… although there hasn’t been much shine lately. :( It starts up just fine after a full 8 hours, or 9-10 hours when I am doing special projects at the office.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

I scoot to work when I can. Otherwise my scooter sits outside all summer with no prob of evaporation. I try to cover it when it rains.

We have a parking spot at work that is mostly blocked by a garbage dumpster and make it impossible for cars to get into. It's perfect for scoots or motorcycles.
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

At work the scooter sits in the elements, in full sun for over 10 hrs.
Starts just fine when I go home.

I have never heard of gas evaporating from the tank :shock:
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
AmyNTX

Post by AmyNTX »

I commute 10 miles each way to work...I have only drove 2 days since I just got my license on monday..but I park in front of the office in a small parking space. (it's a 1/2 of a space at the end) In the 97* heat..have not noticed anything yet;)
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

that evaporating gas sounds quite mysterious to me... :shock:
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

i scoot to work on most days, 20 miles total. ines gets to hang out with a big bad ninja bike in our parking garage - in a spot that says "NO PARKING! VIOLATORS WILL BE TOWED." they're rebels. 8)
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

There is probably some website, somewhere that talks about motorcycle myths . . . I am sure the sinister evaporating gas is in there.

I think it is right up there with a mechanic telling you you need to rotate the headlight bulbs , and it is only $50.00 and we can do it while you wait for your wiper blade rotation and your battery bi-monthly cleaning. :roll:
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Commuter army checking in.

Every day- rain or shine.

I've never had gas evaporate except when I take extra long rides during lunch or make up errands I have to run. Then somehow my tank is always empty at the end of the day! :wink:
Moosy

Post by Moosy »

I've only had the scooter a week, but I've driven it every day so far. I've seen rain, sun, cold, warmth...

I just park it on the sidewalk at work. Seems stupid to take up an entire parking spot with the little-bitty thing...
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

Same here, rain or shine, and I park next to 5 black cruisers, 1 red crotch rocket, and 1 recumbent bicycle in front of the bicycle rack. 4 of those bikes have started parking there regularly within the last month alone.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I commute to work by Blur every day it's not raining.

Firstly, gasoline could only evaporate if it had somewhere to go. An open jar of water will evaporate if there's no lid on the jar, but screw the lid on tight and it's not going anywhere, at least not for a very long time. Unless this person is leaving their gas cap off all day, I highly doubt their gasoline is escaping to the ether. Even if evaporation is happening inside the tank, the amount that would be able to actually escape during such a short amount of time would be miniscule - not enough that it would make a dent in how much has you actually had available. I imagine she simply overestimates the actual gas mileage she ought to be getting.

Secondly, if gas vapor were in fact escaping the motorcycle at a high enough rate to actually impact how much was in the tank, it would smell very pungently of gasoline and be a tremendous fire hazard.

I really wouldn't worry about it.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

EP_scoot wrote:There is probably some website, somewhere that talks about motorcycle myths . . . I am sure the sinister evaporating gas is in there.
Turns out it's true.... in old ass cars!! :D

Nathaniel is dead on. Evaporation is IMPOSIBLE in a completely sealed system.

Myth: Warmer gasoline expands, while cooler gasoline is denser. Since gasoline is priced by the gallon, buying gas when ground temperatures are cooler means more BTUs per gallon.

Fact: According to Consumer Reports, the temperature of gasoline, as it is being pumped from underground tanks into your vehicle, changes very little, if any, during the course of the day. Any more gas you may obtain is negligible.

Myth or Fact? More gasoline is lost through evaporation when refueling in a 90° F state, compared to a state with temperatures in the 70° F range.

Fact: According to David Champion, Senior Director of Auto Testing for Consumer Reports, gas evaporation during refueling is least during the coolest times of the day. However, with modern fuel pumps, any loss is negligible. In the summer, a decrease in fuel-efficiency may be attributed to another source. According to the EPA in certain high-ozone areas, the EPA mandates the use of special reformulated gasoline (RFG) during the summer months. RFG causes a small decrease (1-3%) in a vehicle’s fuel economy compared to conventional gasoline. However, it is also less conducive to evaporation than regular gas.

Myth: Fill your tank when it is half full in order to minimize gas evaporation and loss.

Fact: According to API, technical changes to vehicle fuel systems have virtually eliminated fuel evaporation loss.

Myth or Fact? Park in the shade; heat from the sun will result in fuel evaporation and loss.

Fact: According to API, technical changes to vehicle fuel systems have virtually eliminated fuel evaporation loss. David Champion, Senior Director of Auto Testing for Consumer Reports, told the Alliance to Save Energy that a small amount of gas does evaporate from older vehicles (1974 or older). According to the EPA, avoid poorly fitted or missing gas caps to decrease evaporation loss.

http://drivesmarterchallenge.org/money- ... myths.aspx
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

I just started commuting this week. 40 miles round trip in the lovely west side Cleveland rush hour. I have yet to brave the rain. I've only been riding the scooter a week and would like to be a little more experienced before I purposely do that. I plan to ride as much as possible. It beats the hell out of the boring car ride and saves me about $6.50 a day in gas with the current prices.

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Where do you work DJ? Not Downtown? That would be more then 20 miles one way. Assume you take city streets and not 90?

I live by Fairview Hospital and work on Detroit in Westlake, so I go against rush hour. 8 miles one way. So nice.

I can't wait to start Scomuting!!! I'll be using about 1.3 gallons of gas a week!
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

I live in Avon Lake right off of Lake road. I hit Lake until it dead ends into Detroit Rd around West 70th. Then I ride down Detroit, shoot over the Detroit Superior bridge to West 6th where I work. Seems like it would be a lot further but just shy of 20 miles it is. It's also the most fun I've ever had on a morning commute.

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

Five mile commute each way every day. I've started doing the rain or shine thing, too. Not so sure about snow...probably not while the roads are icy.

I park in the lot with all the cages.

About the evaporating gas thing. If I had a MC that was losing gas to "evaporation" I would be getting a lock for my gas cap! :shock:
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
JNV

Commute to Work

Post by JNV »

I commute every day. In fact I now sold my Chevrolet Tahoe after it sat in the garage for two months without moving. My wife and I are down to one car but two scooters. I was just talking to a prison gaurd that tells me depsite all of the motorcycle owners only the scooterists commute to work on two wheels rain or shine.
armacham

Post by armacham »

EP_scoot wrote:There is probably some website, somewhere that talks about motorcycle myths . . . I am sure the sinister evaporating gas is in there.

I think it is right up there with a mechanic telling you you need to rotate the headlight bulbs , and it is only $50.00 and we can do it while you wait for your wiper blade rotation and your battery bi-monthly cleaning. :roll:
my mechanic is honest and only charges me for headlight fluid.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I'm doing a 30 mile/day commute shine or shine. Hey, this is Tucson. Rest assured, though, if it were to rain, I would plan on commuting in it.

Howard
charltons

Post by charltons »

Round trip of 30 miles- been caught in the rain twice. The only problems I've had with it outside is keeping students away from it, :x
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
Othergods

Post by Othergods »

I have been commuting everyday, my trip is also 30 miles round trip, I have driven home once in the rain, but that will soon be a daily thing for me here in FL. I will be taking the cage if it is raining in the morning since I do not have any rain gear yet.

I park in a normal spot with a Vento Zip and a Ninja. I am always the first one in the spot.
Know the truth: WM3.org

andgosun

Post by andgosun »

I have been commuting to and from work for 4 weeks now. I got caught in rain one afternoon and started a commute in the rain one morning. Only 1 day have I driven my Blazer. Had flood waters over the road I usually take - it was over 1/2 mile wide and about 3 ft deep, a little too much water for my scooter. We got 5" over a large area. The road I took to work that AM had 75 yards of 6" to 8" water.
I park in a designated motorcycle parking area with 2 others, 1 racer bike and 1 large Kawasaki road bike. No problems with evaporation.The evaporation I experience is thru the carb, and enjoying it.
andgosun

Post by andgosun »

I have been commuting everyday, my trip is also 30 miles round trip, I have driven home once in the rain, but that will soon be a daily thing for me here in FL. I will be taking the cage if it is raining in the morning since I do not have any rain gear yet.

I park in a normal spot with a Vento Zip and a Ninja. I am always the first one in the spot.

RAINGEAR? I carry a few heavy 30 gallon trash bags. When rain starts, pull over and tear small holes for arms and head and when you get home throw it away. You may have to sit on the bottom end so it does not billow up on your back.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Every day, rain or shine. My company even has some covered motorcycle parking spaces next to the bike rack.

Oh wait. I live in Phoenix metro. Every day, rain or cloud.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
SarahScoot

Post by SarahScoot »

Just started commuting yesterday, and I get to park free in my building's basement parking garage. Building management told me to just ride around the garage arm, so I don't have to pay the $300 a month (or $22 a day) to park! I park next to a Vespa and a Metropolitan in a funny corner where we can't get blocked in :-)
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

I commute every day rain or shine (but not hail) 10ish miles each way. I park in a sea of scooters...but then again...I work at a scooter dealership. :)
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

no riding in "hail"...has your riding time been cut back with the hailstorms or has your area managed to miss all the golf ball hail?

a scooter dealership; is there another one besides scooterville?
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

I commute by Buddy four days out of the week and it's about 8.5 miles roundtrip. But then again, I always stretch it out by taking "the long way home" whenever possible.

Thursdays, I drive, because I'm going to the West Side of Chicago at an agency that's right under the L tracks. I just don't feel safe with it sitting under the L track.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

BuddyLove wrote:I commute every day rain or shine (but not hail)

Isn't that what helmets are for? :P
Syd

Post by Syd »

Racenut wrote:
BuddyLove wrote:I commute every day rain or shine (but not hail)

Isn't that what helmets are for? :P
Helmets only cover so much. Ask Badbrains about hail :wink:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

I have been, but I'm coming up on 400 miles and I need to drive 100 to get to my dealer for its first service. So I can drive it again until Tuesday :cry: :cry: :cry:

I actually park on the front porch of where I work.. (I work 3rd shift) Its really nice. All the drunk people dont even notice it sitting up there. Plus free parking. 8)
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

Luckily the hail hasn't been too threating. I think I drove only once because of it. It's not so much me as i don't want to dent up little Buddy Love. :) haha.

And as for the dealer Ryder...it is scooterville. Just started there a few months ago part time, switched to full time at the beginning of the month. :)
kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

Scoomute everyday when the wind it isn't blowing over 25mph. I find it hard trying to stay upright in 30+ wind gust. Haven't fallen over yet, knock on wood. :whew:
I brew... therefore I am.

Smoked Porter - Drinking
Peach Smoked Brown Ale - Drinking
Maibock - Lagering
British Mild - Carbonating
Oatmeal Stout - Aging in Whiskey barrel 3 weeks left
BM

Post by BM »

I commute every day too (about 40 miles round trip.) Well, every day that I go to work, anyway, which, right now, isn't every day.

Rumors travel really fast at my job! I had ridden in twice, and people I barely know, who I have never seen in the parking lot, were coming up to me and saying "I saw your new scooter out in the parking lot!" and asking me all kinds of questions.

One of them got a scooter.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I'm a daily 6 mile one-way commuter on the scooter. We have several un-useable (for cars) parking spots in the parking garage. We all (2 scooters, 3 or 4 cruisers, 1 or 2 sports bikes) park for free.

Evaporating gas: Has anyone considered that the person left the fuel cutoff switch on or someone might be siphoning off gas?
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I commute 50 miles round trip each day, rain or shine. I usually park in the covered walkway infront of our main doors.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

I commute 35 miles round trip as many days as I can. Depends on work schedule. I get to park in the garage under my building. For a while I would park my scoot in my space and my partner who also works for the same company would pull into the same space with his Honda Accord. Plenty of room for both. Well, wouldn't you know it....the company parking police called me up and said, "THE RULES say you can't put two vehicles in the same spot." I said, It's MY spot, why can't I put whatever I want into it? No, THE RULES....say you can't. BUT, they'll let me pay $10 a month for another spot to park my scoot. Go figure!
zemacar

Post by zemacar »

I commute 3.5 mi to work 4 days a week. I ride the scoot if I don't have midday errands or appts in the nearby valley (not up to the traffic & trucks just yet). I work for a small city government (my own town) and so far just park in a full-sized car space in the lot. I try not to park under trees, but a bird pooped on my seat yesterday anyway.
Max posted speed on my route is 35. Main road is Marine View Drive, which is scenic, as you might guess. You can smell the saltwater on a scoot. Very serene.
So far, cagers who appear to see me actually do!
I would not have scoomuted when I commuted to Seattle all those years. In fact, I only even considered buying a scooter when I got the hometown job last year (thought I wanted a vespa - another story).
Look, honey, it matches the dishes.
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

No, THE RULES....say you can't. BUT, they'll let me pay $10 a month for another spot to park my scoot. Go figure!
Hey OScoot, if you don't mind, let me know where you work so I know not to ever apply there.
lanni

Post by lanni »

I'm trying to get up the courage/skills to commute. It will be about a 50 mile round trip. I think I'm getting close to that point now that my jacket came in today :) (already had a ff helmet and gloves)
riancurtis

Post by riancurtis »

18 miles commute. 30 minutes. everyday if it is not raining when i am leaving. i dont care to get wet on my way home, but AT&T does not like me talking to customers while I look like an elephant pissed on me.

1500 miles in 44 days since i got it.
this is where i park.

2007 italia. 1986 painted all black elite 150 deluxe and my '08 black buddy

We call ourselves the Robber Barons Scooter Society. there are three more of us. including a Dad. it rules. EAST TN.