My new seat cover.....1st attempt

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ay pablo

My new seat cover.....1st attempt

Post by ay pablo »

First, I have to stress that I do not know how to sew. I really don't have much luck even replacing a button on my shirt. BUT.......I knew there was this old Kenmore machine buried deep in the bowels of my shed...left over from some long ago u-haul date or maybe purchased with a "lot" of junk at some auction or something. And, fortunately I have a friend who understands the mechanics of this machine and was able to get the thread through all the appropriate channels allowing a resulting stitch.

Below, I unveil my first sewing project ever, and my first seat cover. If anyone with sewing skills were to look closely, I might hear a few laughs. If my friends knew how I spent my Friday night, I KNOW I would hear a few laughs. The good news is, it fits and I think it might stay stitched together for a while so I can enjoy it! I bought the fabric for 3.99!
Attachments
seat1.jpg
seat1.jpg (74.29 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
seat2.jpg
seat2.jpg (51.42 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
seat3.jpg
seat3.jpg (62.03 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
seat4.jpg
seat4.jpg (50.6 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
If driving a Hummer says "my penis is small",
.......then what does riding a scooter say?

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.....
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

ooooh... snow leopard! Looks sharp with those wws.
ferfdom

Post by ferfdom »

That's AMAZING! You did a great job!
badapple

Post by badapple »

I love it, love it, love it!!! I wanna make one now. Another good excuse to take my buddy to the craft store. :D
pamalama

Seat cover

Post by pamalama »

Is that fur that you got at a fabric store? It's beautiful, you did a great job centering the design, I'm impressed! Did you make a channel and use elastic or did you use something else to tighten it on? I've sewn for way longer than I want to mention...making everything from purses to wedding dresses and leather coats...I do think I wanna make myself some different seat covers so I can change it out according to my mood. Thanks for the motivation!!
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

very well done!
ay pablo

Re: Seat cover

Post by ay pablo »

pamalama wrote:Is that fur that you got at a fabric store? It's beautiful, you did a great job centering the design, I'm impressed! Did you make a channel and use elastic or did you use something else to tighten it on? I've sewn for way longer than I want to mention...making everything from purses to wedding dresses and leather coats...I do think I wanna make myself some different seat covers so I can change it out according to my mood. Thanks for the motivation!!
Yeah, I went to a fabric remnant store near my house and paid 3.99 for a yard. I made a pattern using tissue paper and outlining the 4 different sections of the seat and then cut out the fabric, stitched up the pieces and created a channel to run the elastic through.....I left the elastic free so I could cinch it up real tight and tie it. I learned a few things I will do differently on my next one...and I broke about 4 needles cause I don't really know how to run this machine. If you know how to sew, you should be able to make these with out all the sloppy mistakes I made along the way!
Last edited by ay pablo on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.....
ay pablo

Post by ay pablo »

Here's my second one. I kinda dig this geometric pattern.
Attachments
seat6.jpg
seat6.jpg (83.77 KiB) Viewed 2529 times

pamalama

Seat Cover

Post by pamalama »

Oh my Gosh! I love that print!! What kind of fabric is it? That's it, I'm doing it.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

You did a fantastic job; the first one I went wow! then the second one I went WOW! they both look nice, but my personal preference is the second one--unique.

Care to share your pattern? I bet there are scooterists who would pay for the tissue pattern.

Looks great!
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

Amazing job!!!! I especially like the geometric pattern---I'm just not one for animal prints. So nicely done!!
twoscoots

Post by twoscoots »

I also vote for the second one! My mom is threatening to take her sewing machine back*, but I may have to see what I can come up with after seeing yours.

*She gave me the machine she had when she married my dad in 1963, and the one she just replaced her replacement with is driving her nuts. I really want to keep this one, but how do you say "No" to the woman who birthed you???
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

i agree both of those seat covers are way cool, and with an average amount of sewing under my belt (rag-tag patching quilting mostly) i think i have a good chance of getting something great out of myself.
ferfdom

Post by ferfdom »

I LOVE the 2nd one! WOW! That pattern totally ROCKS!

I beginning to get inspired enough to try it myself!
scoots4me

Post by scoots4me »

These look great! Quick question - the elastic part - does it sit inside the pet carrier or does it sit around the outside, perimeter of the seat "lid" and we just can't see it in the pic?
*** scootie scoot scoot ***
ay pablo

Post by ay pablo »

scoots4me wrote:These look great! Quick question - the elastic part - does it sit inside the pet carrier or does it sit around the outside, perimeter of the seat "lid" and we just can't see it in the pic?
It is inside.

EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Damn . . . for a first try, or any try, I'd say you did pretty darn good.
And think of the pick up lines . . . "yeah, I CAN saw a few things when needed" :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
SScooterG

Post by SScooterG »

Love the covers! How much fabric did you have to buy?
ay pablo

Post by ay pablo »

SScooterG wrote:Love the covers! How much fabric did you have to buy?
\

1 yard per seat cover is more than enough! enough left over for mistakes.

addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

I love the pattern of the second one. Great job :D
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Those are definitely cool covers. Any chance you can shown the underside of the seat? Did you replace the original cover, or just put these over the top of the original
I don't have covered parking at home and I'm figuring it won't be too long before I have to do some recovering myself.

Howard
SScooterG

Post by SScooterG »

how wide was the fabric? 45" or like 60"?
ay pablo

Post by ay pablo »

SScooterG wrote:how wide was the fabric? 45" or like 60"?
either width should give you more than enough.