What someone is doing with their MB buttons.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jfrost2

What someone is doing with their MB buttons.

Post by jfrost2 »

Pinning them to flowers and selling them as hair pins.

Theres a ton of them on ebay for 5-6 dollars a piece.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... 26fsoo%3D2

I was looking to see if anyone was selling a buddy for real, but found this iinstead.
Last edited by jfrost2 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

Very cool, good find! Thx
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

:o

Ohhhhkkkaaayyy... I guess that's pretty cool. I think. Huh. I mean,I can make some little flowers... How much a piece are they selling them for? Hmm... Maybe I can figure out who that is.

It's kind of funny. I guess.

Anyone here want one? I can do it for $3! :P
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SarahScoot

Post by SarahScoot »

Hmmm ericalm, I wouldn't be too thrilled if I were you. You spent a good amount of time making those to sell for reasonable prices to people who simply love the Buddy. I don't know, it seems a little shady to me to do that, especially since they don't credit you and apparently didn't ask for your blessing :?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

SarahScoot wrote:Hmmm ericalm, I wouldn't be too thrilled if I were you. You spent a good amount of time making those to sell for reasonable prices to people who simply love the Buddy. I don't know, it seems a little shady to me to do that, especially since they don't credit you and apparently didn't ask for your blessing :?
Yeah, that was kind of my reaction at first, but really it's not a big deal. They paid me what I asked for them. I have no intention of doing anything similar with them and they're not violating copyright or stealing art. (If they'd printed their own buttons of my designs and used that, then I'd take issue.) They don't claim to have made the buttons themselves. Whoever buys them from eBay will be a scooter fan of some sort.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SarahScoot

Post by SarahScoot »

That's true, and my reply didn't accurately convey what I was thinking, which is somewhere along your line of thought. It's definitely not illegal, but makes me feel uneasy. But you're keeping a very positive attitude about it! Personally, I think the flowers look pretty goofy, and I laughed at the price. But to each his own.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

SarahScoot wrote:Personally, I think the flowers look pretty goofy, and I laughed at the price.
Yeah, there's that, too. :)

It almost feels like the buttons are cheating on me. Cheap little tawdry things, winding up on eBay crafts like that! They're prostituting themselves.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I thought it was shady myself when I first saw it. Those little buttons you make with your own money and sell them in packs for just a few dollars, then someone takes 1 from your bundle, and sells them for 5-6 dollars with a flower on it.

They're making profit from your product.

Oh noes, someone is bidding on them
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

ericalm wrote:
It almost feels like the buttons are cheating on me. Cheap little tawdry things, winding up on eBay crafts like that! They're prostituting themselves.
Button whores.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jfrost2 wrote:I thought it was shady myself when I first saw it. Those little buttons you make with your own money and sell them in packs for just a few dollars, then someone takes 1 from your bundle, and sells them for 5-6 dollars with a flower on it.

They're making profit from your product.
Nah, they're making a profit from a floral product made from my product.

This is one of the foundations of capitalism! We need to stimulate the economy! I had no idea you guys were such a bunch of Commies.

(I am totally kidding there, folks.)
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I have mixed feelings about this myself. I was put off because I knew it was Eric's baby having the buttons. So I'm not sure what I think; except I don't need a hair flower right now. :wink:
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

my only thought:

:shock: PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT THAT?!
AND ARE WILLING TO PAY REAL MONEY?!

...that is all.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I think it's cool too. I actually love re-purposing/customizing. Eric got paid and whoever-it-is is doing something cool with a modern buddy button... to me it's win-win?
MalindaKay

Post by MalindaKay »

ericalm wrote:This is one of the foundations of capitalism! We need to stimulate the economy! I had no idea you guys were such a bunch of Commies.

Hahahaha! Commies! Geez I say that all the time. Hilarious.
Scootalicious.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

MalindaKay wrote:
ericalm wrote:This is one of the foundations of capitalism! We need to stimulate the economy! I had no idea you guys were such a bunch of Commies.

Hahahaha! Commies! Geez I say that all the time. Hilarious.
Sadly, I am old enough to remember when that was a legitimate fear.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Someone looked in the mirror and thought it looked good.

Sad. I thought bow heads went out in the 80's...about the same time as the Commies, come to think of it...

*GASP*

Think there's a connection?
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

:roll: O my gawdy....
ModBud #442