Comments on "How much protective gear do I need?"

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

BuddyRaton wrote:
TVB wrote:I used to feel silly and awkward in the armored jacket, but I've gotten used to it, and these days it just makes me feel safer on the bike, and that makes the bike more fun.
You know I think almost everyone goes through that; the "damn I look so dorky" morphing into "I don't give a crap what other people think I look like"
Or it morphs into a tangential hobby of sourcing gear that doesn't look like gear ;-)

After seeing the injuries that can result from crashes even at low speeds, I choose to wear all the gear. However, I freely admit to being pretty darn vain when it comes to that gear.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ravenlore wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:
TVB wrote:I used to feel silly and awkward in the armored jacket, but I've gotten used to it, and these days it just makes me feel safer on the bike, and that makes the bike more fun.
You know I think almost everyone goes through that; the "damn I look so dorky" morphing into "I don't give a crap what other people think I look like"
Or it morphs into a tangential hobby of sourcing gear that doesn't look like gear ;-)

After seeing the injuries that can result from crashes even at low speeds, I choose to wear all the gear. However, I freely admit to being pretty darn vain when it comes to that gear.
Good point! I do think that I was the most mismatched rider in CBR 2012 on the warmer days. White helmet, hi vis mesh jacket, silver armored pants, white boots, blue gloves riding a 67 rat bike.

I looked like a scooterist that had been outfitted by Goodwil and the Salvation Army!l!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Jigokuchou: ditto

Buddy Raton: I think that what you got going is called 'style.'
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

anthony

Post by anthony »

ravenlore wrote: Or it morphs into a tangential hobby of sourcing gear that doesn't look like gear
Yes, exactly. Not all gear makes one look like they're a futuristic cybersoldier from the year 2317. Corazzo makes several very nice-looking jackets that, but for the reflective material, really don't look like scooter/motorcycle jackets. I have the Postale and love it. The only thing that even slightly bothers me is the shoulder padding, because I hate looking like a football player, but it's pretty minor and not super-noticeable to other people. Their bomber and shop jackets are also very inconspicuous, and they're not the only manufacturer making armored jackets that are also stylish. So yes, it's a personal choice, as we all agree, but if looks are your only reason for not wearing gear, you don't really have much excuse, because there are plenty of nice-looking options.
MsMerrE

Post by MsMerrE »

I am new to this list.... But, I am fully behind full gear when riding.... You hit the ground like every other 2 wheeled vehicle and at the same speed!!! So, protect yourself as much as possible and most gear has reflective properties to be seen.... When you are the smallest thing out there on the road, you need to be seen..... You may trust your riding skills, but I always worry about that 1 time when you were not seen and wanting to survive in the longrun!!!
Rob

Post by Rob »

skully93 wrote:I always do a helmet and gloves. I have taken off my jacket here and there for short distances, or worn shorts for the same (we're talking trips of > 1 mile) since 100+ weather is brutal, but I just try not to go out when it is that hot.
A friend of mine does one or two ironbutt rides every year on his Goldwing, often times riding through arid areas at temps over 100+. A couple of things I've learned from him. Wearing a mesh jacket tends to slow down the dehydration rate (lower air flow and exposed flesh) and cooling gear, such as vests, does work. He gave me a link cooling vests he recommends. If I can find it, I'll post.

Rob
Last edited by Rob on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Rob wrote:
skully93 wrote:I always do a helmet and gloves. I have taken off my jacket here and there for short distances, or worn shorts for the same (we're talking trips of > 1 mile) since 100+ weather is brutal, but I just try not to go out when it is that hot.
A friend of mine does one or two ironbutt rides every year on his Goldwing, often times riding through arid areas at temps over 100+. A couple of things I've learned from him. Wearing a mesh jacket tends to slow down the dehydration rate (lower air flow and exposed flesh) and cooling gear, such as vests, do work. He gave me a link cooling vests he recommends. If I can find it, I'll post.

Rob
I can confirm that at those speeds you are actually better off being covered than wearing a T-shirt. I wore full gear in my 200 miles round trip to Amerivespa and it greatly increased my comfort levels.