Stator replacement (buddy 125) questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Chilly

Stator replacement (buddy 125) questions

Post by Chilly »

I think my Buddy problems might be a bad stator. Researching the replacement process. Seems I need a special tool(freewheel puller-27mmx1mm left thread?) for this. Can anyone explain the replacement process to me/provide a tutorial link? Going to order a NCY replacement stator from Scooterworks. Anyone have a link for purchase of the special tool? Have a impact wrench on the ready.
2 > 4
aaronnobody

Post by aaronnobody »

the gy6 puller for 125/150 engines is the tool. scooterworks has it available. I got mine through a parts unlimited dealer.. its a good tool to have, but don't be surprised if the flywheel comes off on its own. sometimes the puller is required though.

an impact isn't necessary but makes quick work of it.

I'm curious what issue you are having and how you came to this diagnosis.
"What you have is one or more diodes that are about to fail."
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Thanks for the reply. Problem is scoot only starts when cold and then won't hold idle once hot. Runs fine at speed. No sputtering or anything just once gas is not given and it is hot, it stalls like the kill switch has been used. Starter is bad so have been kickstarting only(have a new starter but don't want to install until I have cleared up this issue). So far replaced spark plug, coil, CDI, checked valve clearence with zero difference. Also added 2oz seafoam to tank and cleaned the main jet and idle jet. My other guess after the stator is the auto-choke, but the auto-choke seems to be working fine.
2 > 4
aaronnobody

Post by aaronnobody »

Did you verify that you lost spark after the stalling occured?

I repaired a china scoot once that had a heat related stator failure. Usually heat failure is fuel system related. I recreated the failure and verified a no spark condition. Swaped coil and cdi with ones I keep for just that situation. I took the flywheel off and the stator was packed with dirt. I cleaned it but the damage was already done.

You didn't mention your battery. #1 rule for diagnosis of electrical issues, make sure the battery is fully charged and in good condition.

Also, what does the plug say when the failure occurs?
ilektron

Post by ilektron »

*subscribed*

Sounds close enough to what was going on with mine at one point, so I'm interested in what you determine is the problem.
Dad, I know everything.
- 3y/o Son
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

The battery is new and is fully charged. The plug is tan/chocolate, looks maybe a hair lean(touch of light grey/white). Have not checked for spark after failure, will do this(what's the best way to do this?). Have checked fuel line and filter both seem in good shape,with fuel flowing. It doesn't act like its a fuel problem(I don't think) no sputtering or running badly. Do plan on completely cleaning carb though.
Scooterworks is out of stock on the flywheel puller, parts unlimited has dozens but do not see my size or gy6 listed, can you give me a link? Thanks very much for your help.
2 > 4
aaronnobody

Post by aaronnobody »

Parts Unlimited part# SS-1XX
27mm x 1.0, left-hand, internal, male

Here's a site that has a puller and severeal handy scooter tools and gy6 parts.

http://www.scooterparts4less.com/web_ga ... t_Tool.htm

Spark checker from harbor freight is 5 bucks. The hillbilly way is to have an extra plug, hook it up to the plug wire and grounging the plug to the engine. Two down sides to the hillbilly way; 1-possible electric shock if you get to close to the spark. It'll bite you pretty good, enough to make you pretty cranky, 2-spark ignites flamable things. That's why I suggest leaving a plug in the engine and using a spare. Its not very likely but its not impossible.

Since you're using your kicker a spark checker is the way to go. However, you should really repair the electric start. I've had a couple bad stators that would spark with the kicker. When I used the electric start I could watch the spark fade after 2-3 seconds. Tricky stator.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Thanks for the info. Not sure what you mean about really needing to fix electric start? I'm concerned because I just spoke with scooterworks and the replacement ncy starter I already have is not going to fit my buddy. The stock one is big $$$ and I'll need to put it off a bit longer.
2 > 4
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

aaronnobody wrote:...if you get to close to the spark. It'll bite you pretty good, enough to make you pretty cranky
:rofl: Good one, aaronobody. Best laugh so far this week. :)
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

No puller needed. Just whack the rim of the bell with a deadblow hammer or rubber mallet. You just want to knock it loose from the shaft so you can pull it off.

Unfortunately, I know this from several times doing it.
aaronnobody

Post by aaronnobody »

also "No puller needed" to replace the broken crankshaft on a scoot that the mechanic hit with a dead blow hammer.

pullers are made for a reason and cheaper than a new crank.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

aaronnobody wrote:also "No puller needed" to replace the broken crankshaft on a scoot that the mechanic hit with a dead blow hammer.

pullers are made for a reason and cheaper than a new crank.
How in the world are you going to break a crank by hitting it (mildly) with a rubber mallet?! It will take a serious blow from a steel hammer to damage the splines. Have you pulled off that bell housing? All you have to do is give it few firm taps to loosen it. I tried a puller - did more damage that way. You have to be careful that the puller doesn't slip. I destroyed my share of engines and repaired enough too to know what works and what doesn't.

Now the left side of the crank is a different story. You've got to be more careful with the pulley...
aaronnobody

Post by aaronnobody »

Using a universal puller like a steering wheel puller, yes, sloppy. The gy6 puller I have and the one listed in the prior link will not slip. I did mention that there are times that the flywheel will almost come off by itself. There are times that nothing but the proper puller is gonna get it done. I've removed dozens of flywheels, literally dozens. From 50cc to 500cc.

Tell a customer this...

"Well, instead of using a flywheel puller on your scooter, I'm gonna hit it with a hammer till it comes off. That'll be 200 bucks"

Splines on the crank is not the main concern. Compromising the strength and integrity of the crank is.

As far as the transmission side, being careful means using the proper holding tools for disassembly and reassembly. Just like the stator side.

I've got 5 different flywheel pullers and 6 different driving/driven pulley holding tools. I don't destroy engines, I fix them.

I'm a state of michigan certified master motorcycle mechanic and a factory certified vespa/piaggio mechanic. I'm definetely not the #1 best wrencher on the planet, but I'm very good. My advice is sound. With all due respect to a fellow scooterist, I would hope we would both like to see chilly fix his scoot without any unneccesary risk of further damage.
BuddyJ

Post by BuddyJ »

I'd agree with aaronnobody. The puller is a cheap tool to purchase and the only correct tool for the job.

When you pull your stator, be very careful when unbolting the pickup. The bolts are very very soft and installed quite tightly. It's easy to snap the head off the bolt.
'06 Buddy 125 - Prima pipe - 11g Dr. Pulley sliders - NCY transmission kit - Prima 161cc kit - NCY big valve head - Unifilter
'09 Stella - Hot Reeds - Hot Wing
yeauxkneauxit

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

i thought i had a bad stator, turns out it was the other item the CDI.

Actually Vespa Dallas hooked me up w/ a replacement for all the recent trouble I experienced during that time. It was pretty nice of them to do for me.

The stator was very easy to replace BTW. A novice could do it, but you'll need a impact wrench and a couple items to wedge it so you can get it off.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Just to give an update, I bought this scooter from Chilli. I put in a new OEM starter and relay and replaced the stator with OEM. It's running like a champ now!

The flywheel was on pretty tight, I used a standard puller, no problem. Mine was fine but just a reminder that if you're doing this don't forget to check the woodruff key.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

A little more info. I replaced the starter first. To me this made it much easier to check electrical than trying to kick and measure. I checked for spark before replacement and it was intermittent. I ran back through the system and checked all components and connections prior to replacing the stator.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Buddy 125 and most GY6 China scooter engine ignition system testing guidelines. If the trigger pick-up coil is deficient, replacement does not require removing the flywheel.

Charging system testing:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kX_quAbYwg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Good links.

That was the testing I did on the stator and I was not getting good readings.
www.teamscootertrash.com

Rob

Post by Rob »

Agreed on the good links and thread.

I've been battling similar issues since day one. Could never convince the dealer that the stator was the problem (while under warranty) .... long story. More than likely I'll do the stator replacement as a winter project.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright