B.R.O. anyone?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mattgordon

B.R.O. anyone?

Post by mattgordon »

I know there are "clubs" for the Italia, the Red Buddy's, Black Buddy's etc., but I've been thinking out loud about an organization encompassing ALL Buddy's, not unlike the Vespa Club of America, or the Harley Owners Group, and others of that ilk.

Nothing that would do away with the individual groups already in place, but more an organization (likely more informal, than formal) that tells the rest of the cager world and scooter world of our mutual fondness for the remarkable little Buddy scooter.

Just for the sake of argument, something like "Buddy Rider's Organization" (BRO) or some other catchy euphemism comes to mind. Clearly open to the community for guidance...and perhaps some competitive logo designing?

Ultimately, perhaps a small enamel legshield badge specific to the group to display on your Buddy, and perhaps a wallet card entitling members to discounts at participating dealers and shops, etc. could be part of the "package". But most importantly, a Buddy Riders Organization would help to differentiate the Buddy scooter community from Vespa, and other scooters etc. Who doesn't want their own identity these days?

At the end of the day, the Buddy scooter IS a different beast, and deservant of it's own universal fan club, IMO.

Would there, could there be enough interest in participation in a loosely defined organization telling the world "the Buddy ROCKS!" through the "membership" in such an organization?

By doing so, we could all be on the ground floor to help define what is undoubtedly going to be a new and long chapter in the scootering universe...the Buddy scooter by helping to form it's own fan club. Additionally, if the community IS interested, we can all have input in that organizations scope and breadth, by giving our mutual input now.

Discuss?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ModernBuddy?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Lostmycage wrote:ModernBuddy?
Yup, like that.....only different.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

OK, I'll bite....
Different how?

Don't get me wrong, i like the idea (a lot), but... different how?

I really am not trying to be a smartass about it. Maybe it's the foul weather we've have here in VA this week that's throwing my scooter-senses off. I kinda thought that was what MB was, minus the stickers or patches.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Or just stick with modern buddy. The RBC, IOC and the rest are just to post pictures (trust me I started it). Nobody will put enough interest in it. The only group spawned from MB to have any success is the S.P.A.Z. scooter patrol for the inhalation of zombies. This only worked because it is a necessary cause (and they made patches) :lol:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

It's the patches. It's always the patches! Well, that and the weird inexplicable fear of zombies that scooter (or at least Buddy, Stella and Blur riders) have of zombies.

Isn't there a Zombie named Patches?
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

BRO just reminds me of that Seinfeld episode with the bra for men... was it bro or manzier? :lol:
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

I'd bite, I need some stinking patches, and also leg shield badges. Would this club be just for Buddy riders, or for all scooters branded as a Genuine in the US?

Will we have a secret hand wave?

GBR - Genuine Buddy Riders
BEA - Buddy Enthusiasts of America
SABS- Society for the Advancement of Buddy Scooters?
BFA - Buddies are _______ Awesome
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Oh yeah, if there are patches involved I'm all over it. Stickers are okay, don't really have anywhere to stick any right now.
Unless they are like awesome badges with adhesive on the back.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

Organized riders of buddies - ORB
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

enzomatic wrote:Organized riders of buddies - ORB
Attachments
Most often, ORBs are just specks of dust.
Most often, ORBs are just specks of dust.
ghosthunters.jpg (19.09 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

If enough people really want a club... I think Eric should do it as an offshoot of MB. He already has the infrastructure, the membership, he has a great knowledge of the history of scooter groups and the politics, etc., he has a relationship with the people at Genuine... all that remains to be done is design badges and swag, etc., and he can do that too.

Of course, perhaps one of the things that makes being a Buddy owner so darn cool is that... we don need no stinkin' owner group ... :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

enzomatic wrote:Organized riders of buddies - ORB
AAAHHHH! You beat me to it! Great minds I guess. 8)
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I kinda think this is what MB is. We're the Genuine Scooter owners asociation right here. We have regular meetings, local chapters ocasionally do group rides. We BS about scooter and non scooter stuff... The only thing we don't have(not that we're missing it!) is a club pub-crawl.
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

Kaos wrote:The only thing we don't have(not that we're missing it!) is a club pub-crawl.
I don't think we can understate the importance of a pub crawl!
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

UnionZac wrote:
Kaos wrote:The only thing we don't have(not that we're missing it!) is a club pub-crawl.
I don't think we can understate the importance of a pub crawl!
I second your motion, all in favor say aye.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Kaos wrote:I kinda think this is what MB is. We're the Genuine Scooter owners asociation right here.
Yeah, just need ModernBuddy patches. We already have buttons and magnets. We are totally a club.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

I kind of agree with the OP. "At the end of the day, the Buddy scooter IS a different beast, and deservant of it's own universal fan club, IMO. " ModernBuddy would be better represented with the name ModernGeniune. Sure, the majority of us are Buddy owners, but even the oddballs of the family are welcome here.

That said, I'm not sure what a Buddy specific club would bring to the party other than a patch.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This is actully serendipitous, because I have been kicking this idea around a while and have recently discussed it with a couple members (Skootz Kabootz) and even suggested it to Genuine.

This is why I like the idea: The Buddy appeals to a more diverse group of owners than any other scooter. Many of these may be reluctant to join and participate in an online forum. Others may feel intimidated by things like rallies and group rides. I have been trying to think of ways to attract and engage a wider cross-section of the Buddy community. Even looking at MB, we only have a fraction of Buddy owners as members, and most of the active posting is done by a relatively small group.

My thoughts: I'd like MB to be a part of any organization, even if only informally connected. I wouldn't do anything to mess with or fundamentally change what we have here. I think any organization should be all-Genuine inclusive. Yes, the Buddy is different, but some of its appeal comes from Genuine's image/schtick which applies to all models. I also think there may be future models we'd want to include.

I'm not volunteering to start or run this thing, if there will be a thing.

BTW, the reason the site is called ModernBuddy is that when Jess, founder of ModernVespa, started this as a spin off, the Buddy was Genuine's only model. I've considered changing the name, but that's a big PITA and we do okay as is.

I have some ideas about what role MB could play in all of this, but am typing on my iPhone (laptop is goofed up) and wearing out my finger. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

yeah I like ModernGenuine, The MG's. I can dig it.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

Amalgamated Genuine Riders Organization
AGRO

amalgamated in that it brings together riders of all genuine scoots

or because we are an alloy of mercury and some other metal

I like the idea, let the first rally be when we conquer amerivespa and make it ameribuddy (don't tell my friends at VCLG)

more realistically I think I'll just claim a picnic table and put an ameribuddy sign on it. Also maybe find time to steal members away and take you on a ride to a brewery I like or something.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

enzomatic wrote:Amalgamated Genuine Riders Organization
AGRO

amalgamated in that it brings together riders of all genuine scoots

or because we are an alloy of mercury and some other metal

I like the idea, let the first rally be when we conquer amerivespa and make it ameribuddy (don't tell my friends at VCLG)

more realistically I think I'll just claim a picnic table and put an ameribuddy sign on it. Also maybe find time to steal members away and take you on a ride to a brewery I like or something.
Maybe not ARGO…
http://www.bajajusa.com/
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

agro is different enough and kinda makes us sound tough
also we'll need these http://www.tinwolf.co.uk/custom.html
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

KRUSTYburger wrote:
Kaos wrote:I kinda think this is what MB is. We're the Genuine Scooter owners asociation right here.
Yeah, just need ModernBuddy patches. We already have buttons and magnets. We are totally a club.
We're an on-line "club", actually a forum (with patches and magnets). I never would want to suggest changing this, I was simply looking for a way to add more STREET-LEVEL identity, and localized value for Buddy riders. Value in discounts (Buddy related) and perhaps Buddy only activities which cannot be exercised across the internet...

Not unlike the AMA, many motorcyclists are members that organization, but then also join the Gold Wing Road Riders Assoc., or BMWOA, etc to specifically regale in their chosen brand of bike. Oh, and most of those ALSO have dedicated on-line forums specific for their chosen rides as well as...

Point being, there's always room for more in-depth celebration of such things. At least that was my suggestion.

Oh, and I think ORB is cool! But the possibilities are likely endless.
Last edited by mattgordon on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

ScooterTrash wrote:Or just stick with modern buddy. The RBC, IOC and the rest are just to post pictures (trust me I started it). Nobody will put enough interest in it. The only group spawned from MB to have any success is the S.P.A.Z. scooter patrol for the inhalation of zombies. This only worked because it is a necessary cause (and they made patches) :lol:
DON'T INHALE!!! Very bad!! I don't think even antihistamines could handle zombie dust!
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I'm in favor of the idea of some kind of "outside the internet" group associated with Genuine or Buddys. I couldn't vote for any kind of cutesy name of acronym, though. I catch enough flack as it is.
"Don'y tase me, BRO!"

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

If we're going to do this, lets do it right:

W.O.M.B.A.T

We're Online Modern Buddy Association Team!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Having been involved in a lot of clubs AND web groups, let me tell you, it doesn't get much better than Modern Buddy.

Dowhatchalike, but proceed with caution: Adding the word "club" to anything changes things. There are good clubs and bad clubs, but most of the good ones are run by an individual dictator with absolute authority, or are run by anarchy, anything in between rarely works out.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Genuine Organization = GO!
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

illnoise wrote:Having been involved in a lot of clubs AND web groups, let me tell you, it doesn't get much better than Modern Buddy.

Dowhatchalike, but proceed with caution: Adding the word "club" to anything changes things. There are good clubs and bad clubs, but most of the good ones are run by an individual dictator with absolute authority, or are run by anarchy, anything in between rarely works out.

Bb.
True. I agree, but fundamentally an on-line forum is a bit different than what I was envisioning (suggesting).

My initial impression was something akin to the (now defunct after many years) FIV Federation International of Vespas. Clubs tend to be...clubby and cliquish sometimes, I agree.

Wherever, if anywhere something like this could go would be up to the "people", the BRO's or WOMBAT's or ORB's if you will.

I tried describing more of an "association" with benefits in my OP, and there are certainly numerous schools of thought which is a good thing.
Certainly this venue is great, and covers a lot of ground but isn't the entire scope of what COULD be for the Buddy community.

For those of us over...well, old enough to remember NO internet...there are other aspects to "community" that can be gratifying too away from the internet.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

mattgordon wrote:My initial impression was something akin to the (now defunct after many years) FIV Federation International of Vespas.
Sadly, the FIV (a relatively grassroots organization with good intentions and few resources) was shut down a couple years ago by the VWC (Vespa World Club) a corportate arm of Piaggio with many resources (almost entirely untapped) and bad intentions (marketing Vespa, rather than preserving the legacy of Vespa Clubs worldwide).

mattgordon wrote:I tried describing more of an "association" with benefits in my OP, and there are certainly numerous schools of thought which is a good thing.
I'd say something like that would be great, the VCOA could (should) be filling that role, or a new national scooter club. I've written up proposals for such a thing a few times, and for a while a couple years ago, there was discussion of VCOA changing their name and becoming more like the AMA, with insurance discounts, shop network, chapters, etc., but lots of people have had that idea, and few follow through on it, and those that do find that it's hard to find people as willing to put the work in as they are.

If you look at the history of scootering in America, there have been a few attempts at such an organization. Most were failures from the start, a few were great, until the "fad" passed and their corporate and grassroots support dried up, or until their dictatorial, charismatic organizer got bored with scooters. (the next issue of American Scooterist, on press now, can give you a lot of background on that).

I'm not trying to dissuade you, i'd love to see something like that, but it's tough to pull off, and I certainly wouldn't limit it to Buddies, though I can see it growing out of the Buddy community, which is currently very organized, thanks to this site and other sites, dealers and clubs. I wish you luck, or I welcome you to get involved in the VCOA and try to shake things up! The VCOA welcomes all scooterists, and already has a good membership base (and even a bit of a financial base) upon which something like that could be built.

Bryan.

PS. I bet Genuine would love to see something like that too, but they know better than to start it themselves. : ) Involving dealers would help a lot too, it's a good way to find scooterists outside the 'web' scene and existing local club scenes.

I think it'd be a full-time job for several people to really do it right, even the modest goals of the VCOA are difficult to reach with our small part-time staff.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

i'm still digging the idea, MB is one thing, and it's great but an organization can have more affiliation with dealers and make organizing regional buddy meets easier. With dealers involved, we can have them carry cards to give to new buddy owners and perhaps encourage them to host/ sponsor local genuine only events/rides/meet n' greets. Making this a combined national order will will perhaps make it more serious. I think this could also encourage more owners to become active in the MB forums as well.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

I think a grass roots approach could be ok, If it's a national group, at the head all they would need to do is keep a list of local or regional groups and members, speak to dealers on behalf of local organizers, and have stuff like cards, patches, stickers, and perhaps membership literature together. If dealers are interested, they can be in charge of the local meet-ups etc (at least host them) if they don't want to someone else can pick up the slack, then people can get involved in organizing annual regional events (maybe by state or area (SW, new england, etc.) I don't think it needs to be taken too seriously for the most part and I don't think a national meet-up (like amerivespa) even needs to be attempted.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I think mattgordon's on the right track here. My vision for this when I was thinking about doing something (last week, before someone else proposed it and took the pressure off me :)) was essentially an offline component to MB which would offer additional benefits—discounts, swag, newsletter/magazine and a way to engage the owners MB doesn't reach for whatever reason.

Why do I want to get those people more involved? Well, part of it's just that I like to build groups and think a number of owners are missing out on the community aspect of the scootering experience because they are hesitant to participate in traditional scooter clubs, rides, etc. For me there's also an element of activism. I an offline organization wouldl help us as consumers, owners and ultimately give us a louder voice when advocating for scooter-friendly laws, parking rights, better/more safety courses and so on. That's pretty ambitious, though.

To begin with, maybe a cool badge or patch would be sufficient. :)
enzomatic wrote:I don't think it needs to be taken too seriously for the most part and I don't think a national meet-up (like amerivespa) even needs to be attempted.
How about regional gatherings? There seems to be some demand for something along those lines.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

also we can piggy back on other rallies (not in an obtrusive way, just use it as an excuse to meet up and represent buddies together).
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

enzomatic wrote:also we can piggy back on other rallies (not in an obtrusive way, just use it as an excuse to meet up and represent buddies together).
Or have other rallies want to piggyback on "ours"!
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

UnionZac wrote:yeah I like ModernGenuine, The MG's. I can dig it.
me likey - the MG's.
so tough, so pink
scooterhuze

How about...

Post by scooterhuze »

The B2's

As in B squared , B to the second power
aka Buddy Buddies

There could be the Bee-otches (present company included) and a Bad Ass Scooter Bee in the logo
Attachments
Bee 2.gif
Bee 2.gif (14.01 KiB) Viewed 932 times
Scooter dork and proud of it!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:How about regional gatherings? There seems to be some demand for something along those lines.
Anything that gives us a reason to schedule a nice long group ride and then have a party is always welcome.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

This thread kind of piggy backs on the one a couple of months ago about having a nations buddy rally and do it regionally but all on the same day. What happened to that discussion?

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Howardr wrote:This thread kind of piggy backs on the one a couple of months ago about having a nations buddy rally and do it regionally but all on the same day. What happened to that discussion?

Howard
All on the same day may not be feasible if Genuine's going to be involved.