Back from Canada, 56k warning, tons of pics

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jfrost2

Back from Canada, 56k warning, tons of pics

Post by jfrost2 »

I got back from my weeks vacation in Canada where I visited my grandparents and my cousins.

In canada, people drive fancy sports cars, ferrari, porsche, lambo's...etc. But most drive corollas, mazda3's, and ford focuses and toyota yaris.

In Canada there is lots of graffiti. Every building, every street sign, every bus stop, there is graffiti or some scratches with text/images.

In Canada, there are many arabs, italians, asians, such type of cultures and people. It's different walking into a McDonalds and being served by asians unlike here in the US a american cashier greets you most of the time.

In Canada, people drive crazy. People make sudden turns, lane changes without turn signal usage, and abuse their right of way many times, especially in parking lots. Bikes are everywhere and people too, theres thousands of cars on the road, but also thousands on the sidewalks and street edges. Sometimes a person will just walk out infront of you when you are driving fast.

The subways are crowded, subway seems to be the fastest way around toronto, you can get anywhere in 15-30 minutes, but because of too many people, you usually stand up, which makes it hard at stops, you gotta use your muscle to stay upright or else you will land on someone else.

In canada, if you are rich, but not millionaire rich, you can rent a ferrari, lambo, or any car you'd never be able to afford. Many places in toronto dont just rent off cars, but they rent off SUPER CARS.

While there, I saw very few scooters or motorcycles, many bikes were crotch rockets, but I admired the Canadian law of "All motorcycle operators must wear helmets"

So heres where my adventure begins.

Day 1: Looking for PGO scooters of canada

I go looking for several PGO scooter dealers in Canada, excited to share with you all what wonderful color schemes and bikes they have that we dont, we failed. Every address listed on PGO's website is either a building for lease, or a building which was recently torn down and demolished. Phone books even confirmed these adresses were scooter dealers, but I guess they all went out of business....why?

I saw this bike, not sure if it's a burgman, or some other big 250cc+ bike

And on the way home, I saw a Piaggio fly 150, and a vespa fender light
Sorry a car flew by when I took the shot.

I was in downtown, so I also passed by the CN tower, never been up it before.

And near home, I saw a tricked out dodge viper

Day 2: "Shut up" is not pleasant customer service.

Saddened from day 1, I go to the mall to walk around, look at funny Canadian stores, and eat some food. Saw nothing special.

Some orchids by the fountain.

The fountain itself

Ate at new york fries, they sell nothing but...french fries, cooked fresh right when you order. Cashier was arguing with another employee, and she screamed "Shut up" unfront of me. A bit rude to display this infront of me, their paycheck provider. (I'm business, my business adds to their $$$)

Day 3: Buffet!

I wake up expecting to go to the buffet, Mandarin, a gourmet buffet where a person cost 25 dollars for dinner. Starving myself all day from breakfast and such, I enter the parking lot to find this crap.

5 bus loads of high school kids

Inside the lobby, I'm drowning from the current of french speaking kids. Cant....reach...front....counter....help!

Some fish in their lobby

Angry to hear I had to wait 1+ hours for food, we head to another buffet. A bit late, we find out the next spot has another 1+ hour wait.

Close by to a mall I grew up in as a child, I settled for that and ate in their food court.

INDOOR AMUSEMENT PARK! I used to play on the bumber boats and roller coasters and ferris wheel.

Heres where I ate

Heres what I ate. New york fries again! Pleasant service this time!

Some fancy bakery, too expensive for me.

Leaving the food court, ready to walk off my artery clogging food, I hear a annoying song, I look down on the lower level to see this.

Barney concert with masses of small kids.

Leaving the mall, I go to some green house, not sure where I was, I was asleep most of the time in the car.

Free plants

He cant speak

Pretty flowers

After all this long day, I go to walmart to buy my favorite not sold in USA chips, Lays ketchup chips.

Drinks in canada are expensive

Oreos here taste like crap, hard, gritty, just plain un-american.

Day 4: My god...I get to eat here?

It's like....like....a super buffet!

Hot towels after my meal

After a long lunch, I go to another garden, I think it was called James Garden?

Some ducks

A caterpillar I found

Pretty scenery

A rose

Tired feet

Another example of graffiti

After this, it was still only 4PM in the afternoon, I was still wanting to go somewhere. Off to Eaton center, the biggest dang mall in all of toronto!

Problem is....how do I get there? Not too sure where we were going, my dad asks a young Russian girl who spoke good english, she told us to follow her because it just so happened she too was heading to the mall. We followed her, she was from moscow, studying in toronto, she said the schools in canada arent good compared to mother russia.

Forgot to take pictures. But I got to play on a playstation 3 hooked to a 100 inch LCD TV with 1080p quality!

On the way home, I walked a block or two, saw a white 2008 vespa S parked across the street.

Buses here are hybrids!

Day 5: I want to see water fall off a cliff, not stupid birds.

My father just got a new camera, wanting to test it's ability, he wanted to go to niagra falls, 1.5 hours away from where we stayed, it wasnt that bad of a trip. I head there in my cousin's van.

Smart cars are common sight on the highway.

Now I arrive at niagra's city, I'm forced to go to this stupid bird kingdom, afraid of birds and a certain lung disease similar to lung cancer, I dont want to be exposed to hundreds of free flying birds. Plus, I went to niagra to see falling water, not birds.

We then decide we want to eat, once again, forced to eat at a japanese place

Not wanting to eat there, I walked to perkins across the street. I ordered breakfast for lunch and just me and my dad, it cost us 40 dollars. Curse you tourist attraction high pricing!

Back to the bird kingdom, I didnt want to go in, so my family went to the falls, my cousins would meet up after they saw the birds.

In the parking lot I saw this bumper sticker on a car

If you dont play online games, you wont get it, but I thought it was funny.

TO THE FALLS!

Makes me think of london

The buses here were connected like trains.

Behold, falling water!

The small boat is for people to go close to the falls and get wet, cost 100 some dollars to get wet....

Inside the little plaza area, the famous pizza pizza, exhange rate office, and yogen fruz ice cream and frozen yogurts.

I then sat there hours waiting for them to come, walking back and forth looking for them in the masses of people, there were thousands. Finally, I gave up, went to the bathroom, and they came running up to me and found me. Time to go home! No. Now they want to see the falls and I want around another hour for them to use the bathrooms, drink their coke, eat heir ice cream, etc.

My cousin got vanilla, he eats everything plain, how boring.

Day 6: Time to head back to the south (of the border), ohio that is!

I see a smart car!

Stopping to buy gas, my jaw dropped, I was giggling like a kid in a candy shop.

Ferrari f430

porchse gt550

Ford Shelby

Dodge viper

The gt550 and f430

Back to the highway, I saw super bee! A dodge challenger?

Bridge to the USA

Customs

Detour through the offical mexican town.

I was suprised the town's name was actually mexican town. Everything was in spanish, and everywhere was a "Authentic Mexican food" sign.

Back home, it was about 8:15PM. We left at 11:30, and stopped for gas and food a few times. So we drove maybe 7-8 real hours.

I miss canada and their crazy people, and crazily close built houses. Wish I could have stayed more. Miss my family up there and wish they could come down to see us in the good old USA. Wish they could live here too, but my uncle is way too pro canadian, anti american to ever move here. I keep telling him, their house is worth hundreds of thousands, moving to the US, they'd be rich, but he's too anti american to ever move even though 3/4 of his family would move to the US.

I hope maybe sometime this summer I can go back maybe for 2-3 days, I only get to see my grand parents maybe 1-2 times a year. They're getting old, and I worry about them all the time. Climbing those 33 stairs everyday and in such a large home, I worry they may hurt themselves one of these days. Plus with their age, I may not ever see them again in the coming years. Oh if only they lived closer. :(

But, I love the good old USA, glad to be home. I missed my scooter! :lol:

By the way, I saw a older kymco, old guy in his 40-50's with his wife on the back, bike was 150cc, but they were riding in the bicycle lane :shock:

Once again, I forgot to write I saw many scooters I couldnt photograph.

I saw:

1960's vespa primivera, looked like it was sanded down to the bare metal on the entire body

1960's sprint 150 with tons of chrome

Some old kymco 150cc bike

3 yamaha vinos

2 unknown brands.
Last edited by jfrost2 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Moved to the Gallery because it's so pic heavy.

Great pics; looks like an awesome trip.

Unsurprisingly, the Smart is becoming very trendy in LA. I have seen 18 on the road so far.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Hey jfrost2, thanks for sharing! Looks like there was lots of food on your vacation. I haven't been to Toronto for years...always liked it up there. I've never been to a city with such loooong blocks. It really does take 5 minutes to walk one block.

And when I lived in New York, New York Fries were called Belgian Frites. I woulda thought a country with French as an official language would call them that, too.
bunny

Post by bunny »

The boat at Niagara Falls...$100! Wow. Circa summer 1983, it only cost $40 adults, $15 kids.

*sigh*
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Actually to ride it, it's like 140 some dollars, I dont remember the real amount, but it was in the 130-140 range. Lots of them too! They get about 50 feet from the falls, then quickly turn around so they dont get sucked in. I'd never go on one, but it's still cool to see other people try it.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

It's funny some of the comments you had about "Canada". When I visited Vancouver BC a few years ago, I think my impression was about 100% opposite haha.

Very clean, I don't recall noticing graffiti, though I'm used to it being everywhere here at home.

Drivers were the most courteous I've ever seen in a "big city". They understood what MERGE means and 4 way stops didn't seem to cause the insanity they do here.

Seemed to me that most people drove "normal" cars. Though living in California, maybe I'm used to seeing "fancy" cars.

As far as types of people, I live in an area that is 85-90% Mexican, so going to Canada was like.. Whoa! So this is where all the white people went. It's almost weird to me to go places and not hear people speaking Spanish.

And Subway's are crowded here too. I just got back from lunch and the line wrapped all the way to the door. I almost left because food isn't worth waiting for, but I'm a regular and the owner saw me and waved me in, asked if I wanted the usual and I nodded. I had eaten my sandwich and was on my way out about the same time I would have got to the front of the line :D

Ohhhhh.... you meant the Subway trains? We don't have those here. :)
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Toronto got to big for itself. It used to be the prettiest, friendliest, cleanest, safest city in North America. Now it's becoming Chicago with all the good and bad things that come with being such a large city...
Othergods

Post by Othergods »

Awesome pics and descriptions!
Know the truth: WM3.org

jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I think Vancouver might be different than Toronto. Toronto is where all the people of the world go, the Mexicans, Arabs, Asians, French, other misc Europeans.

I think the streets are crazy. Many small towns make up Toronto, and they boxed themselves in, 2 lanes for most roads in small towns (which is nearly everywhere) If someone makes a left hand turn, traffic gets backed up BAD.

Around where I stayed, they did road construction around my cousin's house, there was only one and a half lane to drive in because of all the trucks and cones. Crazy!

I like toronto, but I dont think I could live in it, not just the high prices, high tax, $5.30 gasoline, or the crazy people, but because of traffic and the amount of people, too crowded for me. I like my wide open ohio.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Nice photolog, jfrost2! But, uh, NEEDZ MOAR SCOOTERZ.... :P
ModBud #442
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I miss Canada :cry:
maribell

Post by maribell »

I went to Calgary a couple weeks ago! 8) Smart Cars were everywhere, motorcycles were everywhere, only one scooter ( a Vino).

The close houses are supposed to combat urban sprawl. Didn't you just love how everything was the same but way more expensive?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

It was interesting to see some products at the same price as ours in the US, like a KFC mash potato bowl, here it cost 4 dollars, in canada, it cost 4 dollars too! But then they tax you on food too, so that means it cost $4.60 for the same thing in canada.....STILL MORE EXPENSIVE, the USA wins again! :D