boots

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

White Icon Motorhead boots for me!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
louie

Post by louie »

illnoise wrote: . And a lot of Dr. Martens are pretty poorly made these days, too (They moved all production to China several years ago, even for their traditional 'boutique' boots.) But either of those are hella better than canvas tennis shoes or flip flops, that's for sure.

that would exlain why my 10 year old $12 outlet store drmartens look as good as my mates $100 5 month old ones.
As always i love a good sale.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

My Doc's arrived.

I forgot how uncomfortable they were until they were broken in. My poor legs are sore from the top edges making rubrub and ouchie on me.

And it's wierd to clunk around in boots after having worn Van's slip-ons almost exclusively for years.

But they be good. And I got them 20% off! Woot
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

polianarchy wrote:
charltons wrote:I remember one of my MSF instructors saying something negative about steel toes.
:shock: O RLY? Do you recall what it was? Or does anyone else here know why steel-toed boots would be bad? I have two (yes, older, Bb :wink:) pairs of steel-toed Doc Martens that I use for long rides.

For regular ol' commuting, I use more comfortable boots. Indeed, ankle protection is key!
To answer my own question....

I spoke with a nurse friend of mine yesterday, and she told me that a major arterial vein is located on the foot right along the edge of the steel toecap. So we think that there could have been incidents of someone getting in a crash, the steel toecap crushes or severs that artery, and the rider loses a lot of blood.

Does this sound right to anyone? If so, then dang -- back to my old Docs....
ModBud #442
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

polianarchy wrote:
polianarchy wrote:
charltons wrote:I remember one of my MSF instructors saying something negative about steel toes.
:shock: O RLY? Do you recall what it was? Or does anyone else here know why steel-toed boots would be bad? I have two (yes, older, Bb :wink:) pairs of steel-toed Doc Martens that I use for long rides.

For regular ol' commuting, I use more comfortable boots. Indeed, ankle protection is key!
To answer my own question....

I spoke with a nurse friend of mine yesterday, and she told me that a major arterial vein is located on the foot right along the edge of the steel toecap. So we think that there could have been incidents of someone getting in a crash, the steel toecap crushes or severs that artery, and the rider loses a lot of blood.

Does this sound right to anyone? If so, then dang -- back to my old Docs....
Steel toes - they get very hot.
rassilon22

Post by rassilon22 »

DennisD wrote:Oxtar Matrix II - waterproof.

[/img]
I decided to get a pair of these and they are very comfortable, even in this NC heat. The brand is now called TCX though.

Bill
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

rassilon22 wrote:
DennisD wrote:Oxtar Matrix II - waterproof.

[/img]
I decided to get a pair of these and they are very comfortable, even in this NC heat. The brand is now called TCX though.

Bill
Yes, but New Enough.com was closing out the Oxtar Matrix II at a reduced price because of the name change. They still had the Oxtar name a week or so ago. If you haven't bought yet, you might want to check their clearances for them.
I sometimes don't bother to change out of mine at work, wear them all day.
rassilon22

Post by rassilon22 »

DennisD wrote: Yes, but New Enough.com was closing out the Oxtar Matrix II at a reduced price because of the name change. They still had the Oxtar name a week or so ago. If you haven't bought yet, you might want to check their clearances for them.
I sometimes don't bother to change out of mine at work, wear them all day.
I bought them from newenough.com actually, they just didn't have my size left for the closeouts. :cry:

Bill
brape

Post by brape »

illnoise wrote: Chunky hiking boot soles kind of scare me for the latter reason, and also because they just take up a lot of space and feel awkward as you ride. If anyone has any tips on that, I'd appreciate it.
Now you've got me paranoid. My hiking boots are the only boots I have that come over my ankles (besides my winter snow boots) and I'm taking the msf class sunday in them. I've been riding in sneakers, bad me.
Christy

Post by Christy »

you know, I just checked the two pair of doc martins I have. one pair has been perfectly comfortable and amazing since the very second I put them on. The other pair is stiff and causes blisters every time I force myself to wear them...and haven't really been broken in because i kinda hate them.

one was made in england and one in china. can you guess which is the england pair? man i wish i could find another of the exact same pair...its the best shoe i own.
EPSP #76
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

brape wrote:
illnoise wrote: Chunky hiking boot soles kind of scare me for the latter reason, and also because they just take up a lot of space and feel awkward as you ride. If anyone has any tips on that, I'd appreciate it.
Now you've got me paranoid. My hiking boots are the only boots I have that come over my ankles (besides my winter snow boots) and I'm taking the msf class sunday in them. I've been riding in sneakers, bad me.
The ankle is a pretty complicated little joint. Wear what you want but think about those crutches while the road rash is healing and itching and driving you nuts and how you can't walk yet but the cast should be off in a few more weeks and everything will be fine even though your little toe got scrubbed off in the slide. But gee, those were a really comfy pair of sneaks and looked so good on me.

Please wear something reasonable. Healing is no fun and it comes back to haunt you years down the road.
brape

Post by brape »

DennisD wrote:
brape wrote:
The ankle is a pretty complicated little joint. Wear what you want but think about those crutches while the road rash is healing and itching and driving you nuts and how you can't walk yet but the cast should be off in a few more weeks and everything will be fine even though your little toe got scrubbed off in the slide. But gee, those were a really comfy pair of sneaks and looked so good on me.

Please wear something reasonable. Healing is no fun and it comes back to haunt you years down the road.
when i can afford a pair of boots i intend to buy some. i admitted i shouldn't be doing it, and i wasn't asking for comentary on my sneakers i was asking about hikking boots.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Yep, hiking boots offer decent protection. Several companies put out riding boots that are really beefed up hiking boots. Regular hiking boots that cover the ankle are good. Did you not say that you have hiking boots? Hiking boots are good, yes. They offer ankle protection and that is good.

There is no charge for addtional commentary.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

My Docs say they were made in Thailand?

Is there some way to get them replaced with ones made in England? :D lol.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
brape

Post by brape »

DennisD wrote:Yep, hiking boots offer decent protection. Several companies put out riding boots that are really beefed up hiking boots. Regular hiking boots that cover the ankle are good. Did you not say that you have hiking boots? Hiking boots are good, yes. They offer ankle protection and that is good.

I have a pair, and the problem is that i love them and use them for the intended purpose. I did wear them on my nice long ride today and am going to try and pick up another pair at the next REI garage sale for ridding. (why is it decent boots are so expensive?)
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

brape wrote:
DennisD wrote:Yep, hiking boots offer decent protection. Several companies put out riding boots that are really beefed up hiking boots. Regular hiking boots that cover the ankle are good. Did you not say that you have hiking boots? Hiking boots are good, yes. They offer ankle protection and that is good.

I have a pair, and the problem is that i love them and use them for the intended purpose. I did wear them on my nice long ride today and am going to try and pick up another pair at the next REI garage sale for ridding. (why is it decent boots are so expensive?)
If you're speaking of hiking boots all you have to do is do a couple of 10-20 mile hikes and you'll know. Not all of them are expensive. My son is backpacking right now in New Mexico at the Philmont Scout Ranch and will be on the trail for 9 days. He went back to Sports Authority in January and bought the third pair of Alpine Design (Sports Authority brand) hiking boots. He outgrew the first two pair. He swears by them. Waterproof, comfortable on long, long hikes, not heavy, good support. Only $39!! They are ugly, but that's ok.
Sushi513

Post by Sushi513 »

From Mythbusters on Discovery Channel:

The Myth:
Steel-toe boots are more dangerous to your toes than normal boots when a heavy weight is dropped on them. Whereas a normal boot would just crush your toes, a steel toe would curl and crumple in, cutting your toes off.

busted!

Conclusion:
Using similar tests to those used to test steel toe boot certification, Adam and Jamie determine that your toes are much safer with steel toe boots than without. There was no toe-cutting curling of the steel toe, and even using a blade attachment didn’t work, only glancing off the steel toe to cut right above where it ended.

.... in case anyone was wondering - yes I am a nerd
:wink:
Better change the captain of your brain ship cuz DUDE he's drunk at the wheel!
~Dr Cox (Scrubs)

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/sushi513
hermajio

Re: boots

Post by hermajio »

curlyred wrote: The army boots will run me about $160, which I don't mind spending at all, if it will save my piggies. What do you guys think? Does it matter as long as whatever I buy is solidly constructed and all leather?
Swing by the Altama site if you wanna' check out some military boots. You can usually buy them for around $30-$40 on Ebay. I've used the ones that they issued my brother and they're great. Not stylish, but when it comes to protecting your toes or ankle from flying off it'll get the job done.
Christy

Post by Christy »

i bought my army boots at the army/navy surplus store...for like $20. they are hardcore solid leather, not that mesh or cloth or textile (or whatever it is) that might not hold up in a fall... granted I havent been wearing them since I got the harley boots. **shrug**
EPSP #76
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Thanks so much for that, Sushi513! That's one urban legend busted. :D
ModBud #442
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I am wearing my boots today to break them in more.

I think I will bring a pair of my comfy shoes up to work to wear once they are broken in a bit so i am not clodding around at work.

It's still odd to wear boots on the scooter, I feel like my feet are HUGE and take up the entire floorboard! lol
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

I'm searching for a pair of boots that look ok with the cargo shorts. I'm just not a long pants guy ... even in winter I often wear shorts.

Here are some of the contenders:

310 Motoring Silver Spirit

Timberland PRO Ratchet Steel Toe

Fitzwell Will-M

The North Face Reckoning (these match the scoot/helmet/gloves)

Most often, these will just be for riding as I'll have a pair of flip-flops or my Keens in the pet carrier ... so off scoot appearances aren't too important. But for the times when I do leave them on, I don't want look like a complete fashion misfit at the grocery store.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

I just ordered some Frank Thomas Stunt Boots from cyclegear a few days ago. I can't wait till they come in. with tax and shipping they are still under 100 bucks. i was looking for something with a smaller profile than my hiking boots, something less clunky so i can put my feet in many positions on the floor board.
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

alienmeatsack wrote:It's still odd to wear boots on the scooter, I feel like my feet are HUGE and take up the entire floorboard! lol
It always feels like that when you change your gear. After a while, you'll feel weird riding in anything else. That's how it was when I started wearing gloves, boots, switched to a modular helmet and so on.

Yes, I was gear deficient as a noob.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…