Scooter color in relation to the gender of the rider.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

fiver1971

Scooter color in relation to the gender of the rider.

Post by fiver1971 »

So my sister-in-law who is a world champion heckler has been giving me all sorts of crap about my choice of the Italia Buddy International :roll: , telling me that only girls or "less manly" men would have chosen this color. I really don't care what she thinks, but it did get me wondering what others thought of the relation between gender and the color of the scoot/buddy chosen. What do ya'll think about this? I think I've even seem some picks of guys riding the pink buddys, so IMHO it's whatever floats your boat.
DouglasLive

Re: Scooter color in relation to the gender of the rider.

Post by DouglasLive »

No offense, but your sister-in-law is of questionable intelligence.
fiver1971

Post by fiver1971 »

no offense taken...and no offense meant by the thread.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Personally, if I see a guy on a (fill in the blank with the stereotypical "feminine" color of your choice) I smile and think, "What a guy!" :D I love a guy who has a strong enough ego to ride whatever the heck he likes! :)
~Celebrate~
MPA

Post by MPA »

well at least it was just the color and not the whole scooter in general ;) I bet she's just jealous because she wants a Buddy exactly like yours but doesn't want to look like a copycat - this is all part of her intricate plan to beat you up emotionally enough for you to buy another "more manly" color :D

I'm not into the 150 colors but I wouldn't make fun of anyone for buying one - it's not mine so what do I care what someone else rides or what color it is. She's probably jealous.

is she hot? :D
chokepuppy

Post by chokepuppy »

Man I sport my wifes pink buddy and even has a wicker basket. It doesn't get more chick than that. I just don't really give a shyt what people think. LOL Just better not let me catch up with them though... besides, De ladies be diggin de pink :lol:
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I wear pink shirts... but my buddy is red. I got Red because they gave me a deal. :twisted: and now I love it!

I have no idea which category red would fit into :?:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Given that the Italia is probably the most traditionally "masculine" and his its roots in vintage scooter colors, I'd guess she probably thinks of all scooters as somewhat effeminate. Maybe she would have thought more of black, but certainly not seafoam or St, Tropez blue.

I say get whatever you like. I happen to like bright, fun colors (a biproduct of living in LA; previously I was all metro black and grey).

I will not, however, wear pink when riding with my wife. Her light blue riding jacker matches my scooter and if I matched her pink Buddy, we would be horribly cutesy twinkies. Ew.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ranette

Post by ranette »

I started a thread a few weeks ago asking a similar question but in regards to the color of the St. Tropez. If I'd acted quicker I would have been able to pick one up as my Pamplona didn't arrive as expected. To me the St. Tropez, though not the Italia, looked somewhat feminine. A few posters of each gender persuaded me that the St. Tropez was a perfectly acceptable choice for either a man or woman. As it turned out my decision to go with the St. Tropez came a little too late and somebody had already scooped it up. It took another two weeks but my manly, salmon and cream, Pamplona looks great.

As I had mentioned in that thread, when choosing a car color I'm not at all sensitive to those thoughts but it did come into play when choosing a scooter. I am definitely not man enough to ride a pink scooter, and whenever I read a post from a guy who is, all I can think of is the great Johnny Cash, shouting at the top of his lungs, "MY NAME IS SUE HOW DO YOU DO!"
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

Saw this guy riding a pink buddy the other day...wouldn't want to question his masculinity.
Attachments
hulk-tv.jpg
hulk-tv.jpg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
anndelise

Post by anndelise »

when i first made the final decision to get a scooter, all that was available was a pink one. it would have been ok if it was a different color pink, but this pastel shade was just...ew to me. Same with the seafoam and baby blue (though now that i think of seafoam as zombie blood it's more acceptable to me, heh).

i'm more into fall colors. But i really liked the green tones of the 150, but wasnt getting a 150. I definitely didn't want black nor red...how normal are those colors eh? I liked the cream, but it was too...mmm..soft...to be a first choice for me. And when I saw the orange...:drool: . Looking at it just made my heart jump and wanna smile. Joy's not a feeling I feel often, so this was definitely a good thing.

But I hope to soon finally get her decorated in such a way to bring smiles and guffaws from those who see her. :D
But for now, I'm already doing a decent job of that. Orange and black scooter with rider wearing high vis yellow jacket with black pants. :lol:
The scootering section of my blog: http://anndelise.wordpress.com/category/scootering/
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I ride an orange bike, I actually wanted a light blue one before dealers got them back in February. After seeing the blue though, I decided it was "too" light for me. My second choice was orange, and I loved it even more when I saw it in person.
butero

Post by butero »

I love my seafoam scooter. I also love football, racing, and steak. And my wife's O.K. too. You should choose any colour you like. And anndelise, I dig the zombie blood reference. :D
sotied

Post by sotied »

runtotorun121 wrote:Personally, if I see a guy on a (fill in the blank with the stereotypical "feminine" color of your choice) I smile and think, "What a guy!" :D I love a guy who has a strong enough ego to ride whatever the heck he likes! :)
I'm like the Hulk - with a tangerine Buddy.

*EDIT

DARN IT. I get so impatient with such a great thread that I just post and invariably (look it up) I find that someone faster and with more mental acuity (look it up) has beat me to the punch.

BTW, those "look it up" notes are for me. I have no idea what those big words mean but I like how they sound.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

When I was looking at scoots, I decided I wanted to go retro in color and really didn't want to roll with black or red. I like black and red and truly no offense to anyone that owns one, but they are more common colors and I guess I wanted Absinthe to stray a bit away from those colors.

So, I went with zombie blood and so far have been heckled by a few people about the color, including my wife (I think she's starting to become jealous of the rides I go on after work though...).

Funny thing is I learned recently that my father owned a car way back in the day that is the exact same color as my scoot..... does this mean that we do in fact grow up to be like our fathers???? :shock:
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I'm painting my ruckus violet. The rims will a light cinnamon with chartruese dots.

What does this mean?
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

DennisD wrote:I'm painting my ruckus violet. The rims will a light cinnamon with chartruese dots.

What does this mean?
You want to be heard through the grapevine?
chromebroom

gender and color

Post by chromebroom »

What ever ? She sounds like she has some unresolved issues. All I can think of is how much "Green" you are saving !!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like a clear case of Scooter Envy !!!!! Congrads on you scoot and your color choice. :-)
Enjoy the Journey and Ride Safe
Jake

Post by Jake »

Mine is seafoam green. I like it. Some guy at work was like, 'Hey, is that your little sister's scooter?'
I pretty much just gave him the 65mph 90mpg speech and said, 'Meh, I like it.' Not a big deal to either of us, really.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

fiver1971 wrote:So my sister-in-law who is a world champion heckler has been giving me all sorts of crap about my choice of the Italia Buddy International :roll: , telling me that only girls or "less manly" men would have chosen this color. I really don't care what she thinks, but it did get me wondering what others thought of the relation between gender and the color of the scoot/buddy chosen. What do ya'll think about this? I think I've even seem some picks of guys riding the pink buddys, so IMHO it's whatever floats your boat.
Watchout! I think she wants to get in your "less manly" pants! :twisted:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
old and in the way

gender vs. colour

Post by old and in the way »

I am overjoyed with the Italias green and cream colours as I just won one in a drawing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a ticket ($5) ,once each week at the local farmers market for 3 weeks............because it matehed my favorite Rangler shirt that I was waering. Sure masculine enough for me ,plan to ride it with a brown,doubbel breasted,belted spanish leather trenchcoat.....your only old once!!!!!!!!! :wink:
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

DennisD wrote:I'm painting my ruckus violet. The rims will a light cinnamon with chartruese dots.

What does this mean?
something about medication comes to mind. . . :rofl:

Or not. It actually may be fun to have several different "friends" contributing to the process. :wink:

And as far as the color scheme, I triple-dog dare you because I think that would be a hot looking ruckus!
~Celebrate~
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Being a male owner of a St. Tropez myself I like the color a lot and haven't received any heckling for it so far. I was originally going to go for an Italia but would have to wait and the St Tropez just looked better to me when I saw it in person. Now I am trying to come up with a neat way to trick out my Pepe(yes as in Le' Pew). Pics of Pepe and me on him can be found here viewtopic.php?t=1279&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=100
Id be happy for decorative suggestions especially reflective varieties.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

When the salesman asked "May I help you?"
I told him I would like to put a down payment on a Buddy.
We sat down and one of the first questions he asked was "What color would you like?"
I said without hesitation "Orange".

Why? Visability. Pure and simple.
I knew I would be riding mostly on 55+ mph roads to work.
There are a couple of 'merges' on the way home that are less than friendly, too.

~But if they still offered a cream color I would've gotten that because
it would've been fun to spray other colors on various pieces.

I have to admit that I love the St Tropez colors, though. :)
sotied

Post by sotied »

World-Champion Heckler?

How does one qualify for that, and when are the competitions?

The summer Olympics are here - is she going for gold?

BTW, gold would be a cool Buddy color.

Whoops, this is my stop - on my Saturday-morning train of thought.
ferfdom

Post by ferfdom »

What does this mean?
That's hot! I want to see the results!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

DouglasLive wrote:No offense, but your sister-in-law is of questionable intelligence.
You are so much kinder than I am or would have been.

Who is hanging around all the manly rides? Other guys talking about cc, torque, top speed, 6th gear, yada yada. (Ooohhhh, I am a lumberjack, I work all day...)

Who is hanging around all the "girly" rides? Well, besides the guy who owns it, it attracts LOTS OF FEMALES who happen to be interested in the ride but maybe the rider also.

Note to rider of "girly" bike: Take a small dog with you.

If you like the color, get it. If you like the bike, get it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

DennisD wrote:[Who is hanging around all the manly rides? Other guys talking about cc, torque, top speed, 6th gear, yada yada. (Ooohhhh, I am a lumberjack, I work all day...)
When i get together with other scooterists it often sounds a lot like this. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

ericalm wrote:
DennisD wrote:[Who is hanging around all the manly rides? Other guys talking about cc, torque, top speed, 6th gear, yada yada. (Ooohhhh, I am a lumberjack, I work all day...)
When i get together with other scooterists it often sounds a lot like this. :)
...and not a pink scooter in the bunch. :mrgreen:
donkin

Post by donkin »

Perkussion wrote:.....We sat down and one of the first questions he asked was "What color would you like?"
I said without hesitation "Orange".

Why? Visability. Pure and simple.
Visibility ... Pink it is! I ride my Black Buddy with my wife's pink. She gets looks and comments every ride.

Last night we had a 45 mile ride to a Swiss Days Festival. I was lead. We passed a Volunteer Fire Dept. truck stopped at an intersection on our left. All of a sudden I heard a very loud toot on the siren. I almost jumped off the scoot.

It was just another 'hey there' for my wife's pinkie. She said it didn't even shock her. :-)
Artisan

Post by Artisan »

Pink and Black combos were very "hot" in the fifties for the guys.
Throughout history color meanings move around a lot. Black is now the color that we associate with death. But for many centuries and in other cultures it is white as white is associated with bones.
Up till the Victorian Era "pink" was the color choice for boys and infants as it was a subdued form of the color red. Red always being considered a male color as it was associated with War and Blood. Blue , being the color of the Spirit, was for women. Most scholars are not really sure how they came to be switched around. It usually is attributed to Queen Victoria. Most royalty suffered from blood diseases. Probably from superstition (blood being red) she broke from tradition and dressed her infant son in blue and it became a new fashion trend.
So ride whatever color you want...just ride safe.
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

I'm your stereotypical tall and skinny geek, I just got my St. Tropez last Friday. At first I chose that color simply because it was the last scooter that the dealer had coming in this month. Later he had another customer back out on a Pamplona, but after 2 or 3 weeks of drooling over the good looking blue scooter, I didn't feel like switching. I'm more than happy with my St. Tropez, and anyone who gives me crap ... well I've never been one to change my life to appease rednecks anyways.