Cold weather riding gear

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AxeYrCat

Cold weather riding gear

Post by AxeYrCat »

So, I may continue to commute on the Buddy after fall has fallen and winter is on its way.

But, if I'm going to do that, I definitely want some gear that'll keep me warm doing it.

The other day, it was a particularly cold and rainy morning. Rather than get to work cold and damp, I opted to wear my snowboarding pants over my actual pants. And they worked out pretty darned well, though I'm sure people were wondering...

Anyway, anyone have any recommendations on a nice, warm pair of overpants? Perhaps a recommendation on a cold weather jacket?

I'd prefer to stay away from leather, if at all possible...

Thanks. :D
Huh? What just happened?
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

Have you checked out the scooter skirts? :wink:

http://www.scooterskirts.com/
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I could never see myself wearing that skirt thing. I need something a little more discreet.

Really, I just need something over my knees, and maybe the sides of my legs.. I guess that would pretty much equate to CHAPS!! :) That'd be hilarious..! :lol: :lol:
ebcspace

chaps!

Post by ebcspace »

yes, please post some pics of buddy riders wearing chaps! :rofl:

i also wear snowboarding pants during the winter... what's nice is that most pants of this type have hooks you can latch onto your shoes/shoelaces to keep them down, helping to keep your lower legs from getting exposed to windage. snowboard pants are also designed to keep you dry and warm, even if they get wet (rained on).

another must is a helmet with a face shield... if it rains, without a shield is like having little pins and needles constantly poking your face... active riding acupuncture, without the holistic benefits!

if you do ride in the rain, ride with extreme caution! especially around any turn! you could go down without the slightest warning if you are leaning, going around a turn, and are not overcautious!
scoot on!
vitaminC

Re: Cold weather riding gear

Post by vitaminC »

For motorcycle type gear, it is way easier to find gear that will keep you warm vs stuff for warm weather riding!

For jackets, look for something with minimal venting and a "storm flap" over the zipper to help keep the wind/water out. I find that I lose a lot of heat from my neck, so something like these can really increase your warmth.

I've never ridden in overpants that weren't warm, so just find something that's not mesh and have at it! :wink:

This is how I look when it's cold and rainy out...

hermitgirl

Post by hermitgirl »

vitaminC wrote: -snip-

This is how I look when it's cold and rainy out...
It's been drizzly here lately, I'm keeping an eye out for you in that getup! ;)

I need to stop procrastinating and buy my rain/cold set. I'm just not attached to the idea of sauntering into my class geared up. Beats the wind chill though!
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

hermitgirl wrote:
It's been drizzly here lately, I'm keeping an eye out for you in that getup! ;)
Well, I will be running through SJ this weekend, but I will probably leave the riding suit at home! :wink:
I need to stop procrastinating and buy my rain/cold set. I'm just not attached to the idea of sauntering into my class geared up. Beats the wind chill though!
Depending on how warm your current gear keeps you, for just adding some waterproof-ness, you could carry something like a set of FroggToggs. Or, for really cheap, you can spend ~$10 at WalMart and get a vinyl 2-piece rainsuit- either will keep you dry and add some extra warmth.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Me? I just heat up on re-entry.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"