Color Swaps

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dave R
Dealer

Color Swaps

Post by Dave R »

We did a little color swap a rooney with a pink and a black Buddy 50... Let's hear your opinions ! I think one is a beauty :oops: and one is kind of a beast :twisted: ! I think we are going to get a black seat and grips for the beast..
Attachments
Beauty.jpg
Beauty.jpg (54.14 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
Beast.jpg
Beast.jpg (46.26 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
Ducati Seattle/Genuine Scooters Seattle is now on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Genuine-S ... 555?ref=ts
Please become a fan
Robin

color swaps

Post by Robin »

Looks good to me :D
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Very cool! I love the two-tone combinations!
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
Fran

Post by Fran »

I like the one with the black seat much more than the other one. Morphing an orange and black might look good too, with fall coming :-)
Bert

Color swaps

Post by Bert »

I think they are great!!! Including the beast; but I will still have a plain black one. I will have a tough time getting one scooter, let alone two.
Havn't scootered since '42
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

What fun! I like the black interior with the pink shell. :)
Laura
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

golfingirl wrote:What fun! I like the black interior with the pink shell. :)
Ditto!

I think the other one, however, is quite the ugly duckling.
Huh? What just happened?
sparty

Post by sparty »

Anyone knows where I can get a price list for the individual parts, like the handles and body panels. I scratched my scooter, but my dealer doesn't have a way (he doesn't have a parts list...) to order them. Is it hard to replace the panels myself? If not, maybe I can order the parts online and fix the scooter myself....
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

IIRC, it's almost impossible to get parts for them at this point... even the dealers don't have lists.

That said, all of the panels come off VERY easily.
Huh? What just happened?
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

AxeYrCat wrote:
golfingirl wrote:What fun! I like the black interior with the pink shell. :)
Ditto!

I think the other one, however, is quite the ugly duckling.
Double Ditto! I was wanting to do this when I first got my pink one. Don't like all the black heel marks I get on the pink.
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
Dave R
Dealer

Post by Dave R »

AxeYrCat wrote:IIRC, it's almost impossible to get parts for them at this point... even the dealers don't have lists.

Actualy, quite the opposite. Genuine has supplied us with price lists, service manuals and part manuals within two weeks of the scooters arriving. :D

Parts availability wise, we ordered some painted panels and interior pieces and they were not only cheap ! they were in our hands in less than a week...customer was back on the road quick.

Tell your dealer to contact Genuine and get them to e mail the files to them again....they check their e mail right ??
Ducati Seattle/Genuine Scooters Seattle is now on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Genuine-S ... 555?ref=ts
Please become a fan
sparty

Post by sparty »

Actualy, quite the opposite. Genuine has supplied us with price lists, service manuals and part manuals within two weeks of the scooters arriving.
Hmm. My local dealer is more of a mom and pop store... so I am not sure if they check their emails. Right now, I was told that they don't really have a way to identify what parts to order because they don't have a list/figure... maybe one of the dealers would be kind enough to email me the materials and I can print them out for my dealer?
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Dave R wrote:Actualy, quite the opposite. Genuine has supplied us with price lists, service manuals and part manuals within two weeks of the scooters arriving. :D

Parts availability wise, we ordered some painted panels and interior pieces and they were not only cheap ! they were in our hands in less than a week...customer was back on the road quick.

Tell your dealer to contact Genuine and get them to e mail the files to them again....they check their e mail right ??
Holy crap! That's awesome.

I may have remembered that wrong... I do that a lot. :lol: :roll: :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
bullitt.buddy

Post by bullitt.buddy »

My wife is getting a pink one and she wants the Tan seat from the sunset put on. Something about Pink and Brown being a hot color combo right now........We won't know till we try it out.
100 MPG, Sucka! That's why!
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Got a hold of Atomic Brown today and I'll be changing my pink over to pink and black.

Cost break down:
Black Seat: $79.00
5pc Black Panels: $50.00

Not sure about the grips, forgot to ask

Back racks should be in next week.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Cream should be a great color to do swaps with. I still see a lot of cream (uh, "alabaster?") and blue/red/teal combo Vespa ETs and they all look great. The possibilities here are endless... and cheaper than a repaint!
toga28

Post by toga28 »

dahuffy wrote:Got a hold of Atomic Brown today and I'll be changing my pink over to pink and black.

Cost break down:

Is that $50 total for all 5 panels, or $50 per panel? I'm wanting to give my orange Buddy an ivory outside and then do an orange racing stripe...buying panels would be considerably easier and cheaper than paint!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

toga28 wrote:
dahuffy wrote:Got a hold of Atomic Brown today and I'll be changing my pink over to pink and black.

Cost break down:
Is that $50 total for all 5 panels, or $50 per panel? I'm wanting to give my orange Buddy an ivory outside and then do an orange racing stripe...buying panels would be considerably easier and cheaper than paint!
I'm assuming it's cheaper/easier to swap the inside panels than the outside ones... is that right?
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

ericalm wrote:
toga28 wrote:

Cost break down:
I'm assuming it's cheaper/easier to swap the inside panels than the outside ones... is that right?
Yes, It is $50.00 for all 5 of the "interior"panels. I believe that they are called the battery cover panel, the left side and the right side and the the interior floor and exterior floor panels. Atomic Brown quoted us the "parts are in stock, and will ship next Thursday" as in three days ago. We should have the newly reworkd "Pink Tink" back sometime later in the week! Replacing the upper shroud (around the headlight), the headlight trim, brake lever and the balance of the parts we ordered, will run us around $200 to $250. A lot cheaper than trying to get a car fixed with the same amount of superficial damage! :lol:

Kevin
toga28

Post by toga28 »

Okay, good deal, thanks for the info. I just may have to swing by Atomic Brown this week and get a quote on the "exterior" panels and see how much I'm looking at. If it's too pricy, maybe I'll go for a black interior instead. ;)
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

We will post pics of Deb's "new look" as soon as we get it back from Atomic Brown! Hopefully, before next Friday! :lol:

Kevin
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

By the way Toga, welcome to "The Family" :D
toga28

Post by toga28 »

Thanks, huff, it's good to feel wanted. :D

For those of you who have either own a cream buddy (or have seen one in person), is the cream color closer to white or more of a yellow-ish, antique-y white? The pics online seem to give it a yellowish tint.

My thought has been to order new "exterior" panels and cobine them w/ my orangey interior, but I wanted to be sure the color was right. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to paint it...or change my idea.
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125
Covets thy neighbor's Stella
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

I'm curious what an orange and cream buddy would look like. I think the orange and black is too Halloween'ish. Plus, it was my alma mater colors... kind of wierd.

Dave, I almost bought the black/pink one from you guys. Your guy Jared is freakin amazing! I knew there was a plus for living in Seattle.

Anyone know if Geniune is planning for more colors in 2007/2008? A green or blue would be awesome to mix with.
avidgirl

Post by avidgirl »

I think the creme is a bit on the yellow side of the spectrum. It has that antique-y look to it.
Leigh

Creme Buddy 125
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

avidgirl wrote:I think the creme is a bit on the yellow side of the spectrum. It has that antique-y look to it.
It's somewhere between french vanilla ice cream and butterscotch pudding. For some reason, I can't help but associate the Buddy colors with food.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

NarMeowZippy wrote:I'm curious what an orange and cream buddy would look like. I think the orange and black is too Halloween'ish. Plus, it was my alma mater colors... kind of wierd.

Dave, I almost bought the black/pink one from you guys. Your guy Jared is freakin amazing! I knew there was a plus for living in Seattle.

Anyone know if Geniune is planning for more colors in 2007/2008? A green or blue would be awesome to mix with.
phil from pride of cleveland said an avacado is next (gee, a food color!) I like retro stuff, so I imagine I would like it. the cream has a vintagy look to me, so loves it. Cream with an avacado accent could rock. I hope they do not try to do the matte plastic "interior" in Avacado...better in black I think.
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

Now avacado would be great! Very vintage. I would love to see a blue one too. Of course, I'm not a fan of that baby blue color. It's cool on the old vintage looking Stella, but not on the buddy.

Oh, and on a totally unrelated topic... I named my orange Buddy... screwdriver! How's that for food analogies? :D
avidgirl

Post by avidgirl »

Perfect description of the Creme!

I hope the avacado is with a black interior too.

I think the contrast of colors looks best on the Buddy. It is what tipped the scale for me when deciding between the creme and the orange. The orange interior panels just didn't appeal to me. I think the panels are too close in color palette. The orange would look much better with a lighter tan seat and interior panels...at least that is what I think.
Leigh

Creme Buddy 125
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote: phil from pride of cleveland said an avacado is next (gee, a food color!) I like retro stuff, so I imagine I would like it. the cream has a vintagy look to me, so loves it. Cream with an avacado accent could rock. I hope they do not try to do the matte plastic "interior" in Avacado...better in black I think.
The absence of red (candy apple, of course) seems just weird to me, but I suppose red is a very common color...

The current Buddy palette helps distinguish it from other (mostly inferior) scoots on the market. The custom accessories will also help once they materialize. But having panels which can be swapped seasonally or to suit your mood would also go a long way. They could even make/market interior panels in colors different from the exterior.

Anyone own an injection molding or plastics business?
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

I totally agree with the French Vanilla or Egg Nog anology. It also has a very pretty/cool Opalescent "Fleck" in the paint. My husband has the Cream one.
toga28

Post by toga28 »

Hmm. Guess I'll have to opt for painting the exterior panels, then. Anyone have any tips on prepping/painting plastic body panels? I know that you're supposed to put some flex agent in the paint, but aside from that?
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

In other words..."An inside-out Creamcycle" :rofl:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

toga28 wrote:Hmm. Guess I'll have to opt for painting the exterior panels, then. Anyone have any tips on prepping/painting plastic body panels? I know that you're supposed to put some flex agent in the paint, but aside from that?
This link to a plastic painting tutorial was posted on another thread. Don't remember which so can't give proper credit. But here you go.
toga28

Post by toga28 »

Gracias.
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

:lol: :lol: Just had to bump this up to the top. Hubby is in the process of color swapping my Pink Tink :clap:
tinalee123

Post by tinalee123 »

dahuffy wrote:We should have the newly reworkd "Pink Tink" back sometime later in the week!
You must be sooooo excited!!! Jeepers, I can hardly stand it!! Looking forward to seeing pics...
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

Get rid of the white seat and grips and it will be pefect.
- Bryce
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Changed the White seat to Black. He tore off all the plastic "interior" pieces last night only to find out that we don't have all of the Black pieces that we need. So, she's still in the garage waiting to go for a ride. :cry:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

dahuffy wrote:Changed the White seat to Black. He tore off all the plastic "interior" pieces last night only to find out that we don't have all of the Black pieces that we need. So, she's still in the garage waiting to go for a ride. :cry:
Can you post a list of all the black pieces you needed?
And how about some pics?

Sorry for being so demanding! :wink:
weebl

Post by weebl »

Dahuffy - which pieces were you missing? We're about to order some to do a color switch and want to make sure I've got everything. I'm sitting down here with a price list and parts catalog... trying to get it all straightened out.

edit: Ok I think I've got it figured out... the price for a set of ALL the plastic panels for a color swap and grips comes out to just under $100. Thats for all 8 interior panels on the floorboard/under headset, 2 grips, and license plate tailpiece on the back.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Sounds about right!