JUST SHUT UP AND LET ME PUMP MY GAS

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pcbikedude

JUST SHUT UP AND LET ME PUMP MY GAS

Post by pcbikedude »

I wish I could yell that at every person that asks me about my scooter. I went to 7-11 this morning to put gas in. 3 people ask me about mileage, how big the tank is, range, etc.

Just pump your $100 in your SUV or pickup and leave me alone :lol: :lol: !

I live in East San Diego County where pickups roam like ants to a picnic. Well at least they used to. I'm seeing less cars on the road on weekends and evenings.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

Gee....... I love it when I see the jealous looks I get when I tell them my mileage
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Remember: You're an ambassador of Buddydom and good scootering!

I get a little tired of it, too, especially when I'm sitting there thinking, "Oh, right, you'll never buy one," or "You'd kill yourself in the first month."

But occasionally a stranger will approach me with their own scooter story from their youth and that makes my day.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

I was out running errands today and got questions at virtually every stop. My very favorite was in front of the hardware store, where an elderly (70+ ?) gentleman asked about my rear basket. I told him where I bought it, he thanked me -- then hopped on his Metropolitan and scooted away!

It's not just whippersnappers out there on these things! :D
OKBubbles

Re: JUST SHUT UP AND LET ME PUMP MY GAS

Post by OKBubbles »

pcbikedude wrote:I wish I could yell that at every person that asks me about my scooter. I went to 7-11 this morning to put gas in. 3 people ask me about mileage, how big the tank is, range, etc.

Just pump your $100 in your SUV or pickup and leave me alone :lol: :lol: !

I live in East San Diego County where pickups roam like ants to a picnic. Well at least they used to. I'm seeing less cars on the road on weekends and evenings.
You need to buy a few of Eric's "90+ MPG" buttons and just flash 'em! :wink:
kmetta

Post by kmetta »

I've had a few people approach me like it was my duty to convince them that my scooter was a worthy purchase.
Not only do they talk to me like i sell the damn things, but in a way that i have to defend my scooter.

I don't mind the happy folk, though the people that tend to give you comments out of pity... are just <i> angelic. </i>i had a women at the grocery store tell me that she "didn't think it was <i> that</i> bad" and that it was "cute"
thank god for her, i might have had to cover my tears the whole ride home if she hadn't lifted my spirits so. God sent that women. god sent.

... its not that bad though, of all things to complain about.
amanda_c

Post by amanda_c »

Gee....... I love it when I see the jealous looks I get when I tell them my mileage
I like to park next to the priuses when I go to Whole Foods, and give the drivers dirty looks ;)

I've been asked a lot, and I'm happy to answer. I spent a lot of time deciding to get a scooter, and then deciding what type to buy. A lot of very patient people answered my many, many questions. So, if people have questions for me, I answer because some of those questioners really do go out and get scoots.

That said, I probably answer too much. I've developed a standard spiel: yes, you need a motorcycle license; 80+ MPG; what they're selling for now; where I got mine (NoHo scooters); how awesome the folks at NoHo Scooters are; how much I love riding; yes, I could take it on the freeway, but only if I had a death wish; riding a scoot means giving up radio and air-conditioning, and donning lots o gear.

I think I scared the lady who asked me today. :(
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

amanda_c wrote:I like to park next to the priuses when I go to Whole Foods, and give the drivers dirty looks ;)
You're only saving 4.1¢ a mile over a Prius, which is nice, but not much to gloat about for a 46mpg difference. Of course your Buddy cost a bit less, gloat about that.

http://2strokebuzz.com/index.php?p=4158
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Guess people aren't as curious in Cleveland. I've only had one stranger ask me about them in 10 days. ;)
ferfdom

Post by ferfdom »

I get asked EVERY time I stop!!!

The best was when I was riding around with my dad and we tried to wave on a truck at a 4-way stop. He refused and waved us toward him. He was probably about my dad's age and had the BIGGEST smile on his face... He waved and bounced up and down in his seat and yelled, "I love it! I love it! I had a scooter when I was a kid!"

:D
White Apache

Post by White Apache »

illnoise wrote:
amanda_c wrote:I like to park next to the priuses when I go to Whole Foods, and give the drivers dirty looks ;)
You're only saving 4.1¢ a mile over a Prius, which is nice, but not much to gloat about for a 46mpg difference. Of course your Buddy cost a bit less, gloat about that.

But that's before you subtract the $35,000 price difference in purchase price, right?
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

White Apache wrote:
illnoise wrote:

But that's before you subtract the $35,000 price difference in purchase price, right?
Not to mention the cost to replace all those laptop batteries in two years. Not to mention (ugh) the environmental quandary of *disposing* of all of those lion batteries every few years. Not to mention the expensive repair costs for a dual-power-source-vehicle.

Though, as far as the Prius goes, it makes me throw up a little in my mouth when I see all these ads for cars now that are implying 26 or 23 mpg or for goodness' sake sometimes less is somehow an environmentally responsible number - at least the Prius is a somewhat honest effort.
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

I was talking to my dealer about it on Sunday and I think he might be printing cards for some of us that say something to the effect of "Here's where I got it..." It would be great if he put mileage and other info on there too to make my trips that much faster. But I'm more than happy to just hand out cards for him.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I had what I'm calling a "sweet revenge" moment yesterday. I was pulling into a gas station and looked in my rear view mirror to see a big white Suburban right on my ass. Seriously, are we in this much of a hurry? I pulled up to the pump and thought about walking over and saying something when it hit me. "He's about to spend $100-$120 on a tank of gas. I'm about to spend $4. That's all I need."
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
Xena

Post by Xena »

I get stopped all the time. I have even had people follow me until I stopped in a parking lot or something similiar just to ask about the scooter. I am only too pleased to answer questions and find it my opportunity to educate people on the world of scooting and they are NOT mopeds. There are always the total jackasses, but I don't pay them much mind anyway.

I have the only pink Buddy in the whole little state of Rhode Island, and she is has lots of nifty accessories and bling bling that draw lots of attention...
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I carry a stack of my dealer's business cards to hand out. I'd love to have a stack of Modern Buddy cards...*HINT HINT HINT*

Despite my usual sunshine and kitty-farts demeanor, I do have a lot of eye-rolling moments. Where I'm from (Texas), it's dead rude to ask someone the price of something. So I'm still jarred when someone here in Philly demands to know the price of my scooter. I have gotten better used to it now, but the memory of my first encounter stays with me:

Dude: "How much you pay for that?"
Me: "Uh...a bit over $2k."
Dude: "DAAAAAAAAAyum! You got ripped OFF!"
Dude's lady friend: *audible gasp, and shoots dude a hard look*
Me: *silently fuming* "Uh...it was worth EVERY penny, thanks."

:roll:
ModBud #442
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

I'll sometimes look over at the SUV that started pumping gas before I even got there, and is still pumping gas as I'm closing the seat and say "I win!".

Of course being 6'1" and 230# I can get away with being obnoxious sometimes. Plus, who's gonna fight a big guy who had the cajones to pull up on a bright orange scooter and taunt you. You would have to at least assume I'm slightly mental :twisted:
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

Is it just me or are you guys offended when they ask how much you paid for your scooter? I hate that question. You don't see us asking the Hummer dudes how much they paid. I don't mind telling them about MPG or highway speeds but cost is a bit personal.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I don't really mind the "what did you pay" questions. At least in my experience, that means they are seriously concidering getting their own scooter. I think its just part of being a scooter ambasador :)
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

teacherquinn wrote:Is it just me or are you guys offended when they ask how much you paid for your scooter? I hate that question. You don't see us asking the Hummer dudes how much they paid. I don't mind telling them about MPG or highway speeds but cost is a bit personal.
It doesn't bother me in the slightest, at least not with cars or scooters. On the internet I can look up the MSRP of pretty much any vehicle, so it's not like it's a secret or something. They're not asking me how much I get paid by my employer, or how much I paid for a house. Those are things that vary from person to person and market to market and are pretty personal. But something like a scooter or a car isn't exactly a state secret. And I guess the other thing is that "about three grand" isn't that much money in the grand scheme of things. Sure, I don't exactly have three large laying around anywhere - I had to scrimp and save to get my Vespa and it had to go when I got the Blur - but we're not talking about $30,000 here.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
krysbrezinski

Post by krysbrezinski »

Honestly, if I'm in a hurry it's a bit irritating, but it strikes me as rude and a bit elitist to be so angry that people would express interest in the amazingly cool, efficient, fun, and cost-effective little vehicle you're driving. It's not like you ever have to stay for a twenty minute conversation; I've never had one last longer than it takes me to fill up (which is what, 45 seconds? :lol: ).

And actually, the last gas station conversation I had was with a man asking about where I bought my helmet; he'd been looking for something similar (it's a matte black 3/4 with no logos) for his wife to use with her little Vino.
bunny

Post by bunny »

schlagle wrote:I'll sometimes look over at the SUV that started pumping gas before I even got there, and is still pumping gas as I'm closing the seat and say "I win!".
I *must* remember this! :clap:
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

ay pablo

Post by ay pablo »

I don't mind the nice conversations at all...What I don't like are the assholes like the one I encountered this weekend when I was sitting at a stop light (me on my Buddy 125 and my friend on his Pamplona) who yelled out the window of his Barbie Jeep: "Get a real bike". :x :x
If driving a Hummer says "my penis is small",
.......then what does riding a scooter say?

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.....
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Most of the people who talk to me are nice and have a scooter or motorcycle history.

One guy at the gas pump in his SUV looked at my scooter, then asked what it cost to fill. I told him around $6. And he smiled, then said something vulgar about his SUV and "over $100" to fill it up.

Another was an old motorcyclist who was interested in getting a scooter and asked me a ton of questions, took some notes and I gave him the local scooter shop #.

And yeah, I've had the jerks too. I was in downtown Tulsa late at night during the week of the rally at a light and I heard a female voice go "vroom vroom!" look over and see a girl with her boyfriend giving me two ill-meant cheesy thumbs up. I shook my head and drove on.

I think people who do that actually want a scooter but are afraid.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I don't mind the questions. Everyone that has asked is usually pretty interested. Just on Sunday I had a 70+ old timer asking me about it. First thing was the mpg. I said, "oh lots, 80, 90 somehwere in there. I fill up once a week at $7.00 so I don't pay too much attention".

His eyes got big and his jaw dropped. Then he points so a very shiny Mercedes convertible and he says. " that is my ride, very nice, but is under 20mpg and I am thinking to go to the country club, bridge afternoons and such a scooter would be the ticket! So cuuuute". (mind you I have a Blur . . . Dude, Blurs are not cute, they are DANGEROUS!)

Anyway, I was thinking "not sure how you plan in putting it in the center stand when you can barely stand up yourself, but you seem to have enough dough to cover the insurance costs from when you fall, so go right ahead, fellow !

I talked to him about gear and he said something like "but is hot today".

Anyway, I need to get some Scooterville cards and just pass them out . . . problem is they don't have mucg to sell other than pricey Vespas and Piaggios.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
bunny

Post by bunny »

EP_scoot wrote:I don't mind the questions. Everyone that has asked is usually pretty interested. Just on Sunday I had a 70+ old timer asking me about it. First thing was the mpg. I said, "oh lots, 80, 90 somehwere in there. I fill up once a week at $7.00 so I don't pay too much attention".

His eyes got big and his jaw dropped. Then he points so a very shiny Mercedes convertible and he says. " that is my ride, very nice, but is under 20mpg and I am thinking to go to the country club, bridge afternoons and such a scooter would be the ticket! So cuuuute". (mind you I have a Blur . . . Dude, Blurs are not cute, they are DANGEROUS!)

Anyway, I was thinking "not sure how you plan in putting it in the center stand when you can barely stand up yourself, but you seem to have enough dough to cover the insurance costs from when you fall, so go right ahead, fellow !

I talked to him about gear and he said something like "but is hot today".

Anyway, I need to get some Scooterville cards and just pass them out . . . problem is they don't have mucg to sell other than pricey Vespas and Piaggios.
If he's got enough dough to be driving his cage, then he's got enough dough for the Vespas and Piaggios...

pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

teacherquinn wrote:Is it just me or are you guys offended when they ask how much you paid for your scooter? I hate that question. You don't see us asking the Hummer dudes how much they paid. I don't mind telling them about MPG or highway speeds but cost is a bit personal.
Tell them: It really doesn't matter how much it costs. Unless you have a deposit on one and are willing to wait, you ain't gonna get one.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
bunny

Post by bunny »

pcbikedude wrote:
Tell them: It really doesn't matter how much it costs. Unless you have a deposit on one and are willing to wait, you ain't gonna get one.
BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

I like that response.

sotied

Post by sotied »

I have had nothing but kind words and happy interested people. Even the guy in the Hummer at the Exxon station the other day (you can remember the people and cars around you when you are at the station so infrequently).

He lamented the fact he was getting near 12MPG and the fill-up was gonna cost him $75+.

He asked what I paid and what I got for mileage and I cheerfully responded that I paid about $3000 when all was said and done and I get right around 100MPG (still need to calibrate my odo to see if this is fact. But it's right according the gallons I've put in and the miles on the odo).

I then lamented to him the fact that my Scion gets 33 and I've been letting it sit for three weeks. Only pulling it out to go to a wedding last week.

C'mon. A nice round number like 100MPG, who wouldn't be happy for me. And yes, my scooter is orange too. I think that's why I told the caterer at the wedding that I had ordered the vegetarian meal when I really had ordered beef.

I'm a rapscallion!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

It doesn't bother me at all, unless I'm getting the impression that the question they're really asking is "if I bikejack you, how much can I sell that for?"
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

illnoise wrote:It doesn't bother me at all, unless I'm getting the impression that the question they're really asking is "if I bikejack you, how much can I sell that for?"
I don't normally feel that way except when I am in seedy parts of town.

I have had one or two moments of "hmmm" thinking about whether or not I'd come out to a scooter when I was done in a store. I think most of the time they don't know what its worth and don't care. They are just looking because they want one or are curous.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
bunny

Post by bunny »

I found a possible solution for the fear of bikejacking...

OT, BTW: someone posted a link to The Daisy People, the comapny that makes the VW daisy decals. I'm going to plaster my scooter with them ASAP.

It would take a very ballsy person to jack a scooter like that.

alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

bunny wrote:It would take a very ballsy person to jack a scooter like that.
What if the person is a girl who loves the flowers? Or a man who has no problems with his feminine side? Or a robot who only cares about money and motoroil? :D

Speaking of cards, I think I need to run a set of cards to carry with me. maybe even put a dispenser on the scoot full of cards recommending the dealer and with some good sites for info like here. I could easily hand out cards when people ask so they get all the info they need. And maybe help sell a few scooters to good people who join in the fun WE are all having :D
mybuddy&me

Post by mybuddy&me »

tdaley26 wrote:Gee....... I love it when I see the jealous looks I get when I tell them my mileage
Its even better when it is a hybrid and you more than double their milage.

A lot less snickering glances than when I bought it.
Wherever I go He goes!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

illnoise wrote:
It doesn't bother me at all, unless I'm getting the impression that the question they're really asking is "if I bikejack you, how much can I sell that for?"
Yeah I've had that question before. :evil:
voodoosix

Post by voodoosix »

i always get "how much does one of those cost?" from people who think a new 250cc scooter should only cost around $500.

:shock:

'08 Tomos Nitro
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

voodoosix wrote:i always get "how much does one of those cost?" from people who think a new 250cc scooter should only cost around $500.

I think a lot of people don't realize that scooters cost real money. I've had similar reactions to when I tell them what scooters cost. I think they expect something like $500 like you said or less.
bunny

Post by bunny »

voodoosix wrote:i always get "how much does one of those cost?" from people who think a new 250cc scooter should only cost around $500.

one meeellyun dollars.

chancerbeans13

Post by chancerbeans13 »

When I tell them it cost about $3000, most think that is good, but the few that have said that is too much, change their tune when I tell them it will go 65+ mph.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

And yet these same people have no problem with paying $10-20k for a "harley". Geesh. :D
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

. . . so it can sit in the garage all shiny most of the time.
Double geesh ! :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

bunny wrote:I found a possible solution for the fear of bikejacking...
My brother used to ride his bicycle without a helmet, and got hit in the head with a brick once, then woke up and saw someone riding off on his bike two blocks down the street. So, no bike *and* a hospital visit. Goodtimes.

So there's another really good reason to wear a helmet. Surprisingly, though, I've never heard of a scooterjacking (at least a successful one) in all my years blah blah blah…
bunny

Post by bunny »

illnoise wrote:
bunny wrote:I found a possible solution for the fear of bikejacking...
My brother used to ride his bicycle without a helmet, and got hit in the head with a brick once, then woke up and saw someone riding off on his bike two blocks down the street. So, no bike *and* a hospital visit. Goodtimes.

So there's another really good reason to wear a helmet. Surprisingly, though, I've never heard of a scooterjacking (at least a successful one) in all my years blah blah blah…
You know those suitcase handcuff things you see in the movies? We should adapt on for the scooter and market them if they work...

Jack my bike, jack me, too...

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

illnoise wrote:Surprisingly, though, I've never heard of a scooterjacking (at least a successful one) in all my years blah blah blah…
I've actually read a few validated news reports on aborted or failed scooterjackings. Maybe scooterists are tougher than much of the world assumes.

I know i am. :roll:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

1st day of work at the summer school, a teacher sees me come in with gear and a FF and asks, "Oh what do you ride?"
I respond, "a buddy 125, it's a scooter"
"Oh... well my boyfriend rides a harley
.....but scooters are cute I guess, and saves gas"
"mmm hmm"
So you're BF spends way to much on an over-sized, poorly made, POS noise maker
-end rant
nothing but love I love to answer questions I really want more ppl on scoots so I can have more ppl to ride with
You meet the nicest people on a Buddy
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

I never get questions at the pump, probably because I'm outta there in less than a min. Faster than a Formula 1 pitstop.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

And yeah, I've had the jerks too. I was in downtown Tulsa late at night during the week of the rally at a light and I heard a female voice go "vroom vroom!" look over and see a girl with her boyfriend giving me two ill-meant cheesy thumbs up. I shook my head and drove on.
It's interesting that almost all of my experiences around Tulsa have been very very positive. I think that so many people here are getting scooters and hitting the streets that we may soon see a bit of a backlash in attitude from the cage-driving public. The drop in gas prices (which many people see as the main reason to buy a scooter) could contribute to it as well.

For a lot of the general public, scooters are a nice novelty when there aren't too many about. When they start seeing them everywhere, they may tend to view the scoots as pests which are now taking up too much road space. The little pleasantries may become little obnoxious annoyances as time goes by....

Fun story: I noticed a new scoot at my workplace but never knew who drove it. After work yesterday, I go out to the parking lot (it rained that morning so I had driven my car) and the guy is sitting on his scooter! So I went and talked to him--young guy, college age. Said his friend won the 50cc scoot and sold it to him because he didn't want it. He loves it--in the middle of the conversation he mentioned that it was SO much fun to ride. I told him about this forum and the weekly ride at Tulsa Scooters. It was a fun conversation.
I've actually read a few validated news reports on aborted or failed scooterjackings. Maybe scooterists are tougher than much of the world assumes.

I know i am.
We're armored, dude. Go ahead--take a swing! :P
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
bulldog1967

Post by bulldog1967 »

ericalm wrote:
illnoise wrote:Surprisingly, though, I've never heard of a scooterjacking (at least a successful one) in all my years blah blah blah…

I know i am. :roll:
This former Marine would hit a scooterjacker so hard his MOM would feel it!
amanda_c

Post by amanda_c »

I like to park next to the priuses when I go to Whole Foods, and give the drivers dirty looks ;)
Gloating is all relative. The bicyclists gloat at both me and the prius drivers--as well they should. They're near the top of LA's Hierarchy of Vehicular Self Righteousness. Bicyclists can sneer at scooterists, scooterists can look down our noses at the Prius drivers, and everyone gets to gloat at the poor slob with the For Sale sign in the window of his tonka-toy-yellow hummer. ;)
apierce

Post by apierce »

Personally, I think more people need to know about our buddy's. It might be a little safer for us if there were more scooters than cars on the road. I don't mind telling people about my buddy. I'm proud of her. Yes she was a bit pricey but well worth it. The attention is nice, hee hee. :P As my coworker said..."that thing sure is dainty and cute...and blue" :)