Is the warranty transferable?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dwnthehatch

Is the warranty transferable?

Post by dwnthehatch »

I'm considering a purchase of a Buddy 125 with 200 miles on it. Does anyone know if the warranty and roadside assistance is transferrable?

Thanks!
Last edited by dwnthehatch on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I would check with genuine. I do think the 500 mile service has to be done at a dealer and if the seller goes over that beofre you buy it and there has been no service, it could be an issue I imagine. Now who could sell a Buddy with only 200 miles? you would have it fight me to near death to wrench Buddy away from me.
dwnthehatch

Post by dwnthehatch »

I emailed genuine about the warranty. The seller's hubby rides a harley and she moved up to a Honda Rebel.
dwnthehatch

Post by dwnthehatch »

BAD NEWS:

Troy:

Thank you for the email.

The warranty and roadside service are not transferable, unfortunately.

I hope you had a great weekend!

Brett Ratner
Genuine Scooters Dealer Development
877.MY.STELLA
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I was told by my dealer that it was transferable. Hopefully this is another case of somebody not knowing what they're talking about. :roll:

DWNTHEHATCH.. Don't take that as the final answer. :x
Last edited by rickyd410 on Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingGary

Post by FlyingGary »

I was told by 2 different reps at scooterworks that the warranty is not transferable.
seth xyl

Post by seth xyl »

I assure you Brett means what he said. Take solace in the fact that buddy's are awesome, and so rarely take advantage of either the warranty or the roadside assistance.

I feel sorry for the woman who 'moved up' to a rebel, buddy's look so much better, hehe. The Harley rider was probably tired of being out cornered.
-Seth
2009 Black Jack
2005 Genuine Scooter Stella (Mint Mangle)
1986 Japanese market Honda CBR400R Aero
1987 Yamaha DT50, to be Supermoto'd
2003 KYMCO People 50 (Exile) OYL #77
1996 Kinetic TFR
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Yeah, my DH has his on consignment right now (1400 +/- miles) moving to a Blur.
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Most warranties are, unfortunately, not transferable. I think Kymco's may be.
Sellers and some dealers will often state otherwise, and usually they believe it to be true.
weebl

Post by weebl »

was the Stella warrenty transferrable? If so that may be why the dealers are confused.
I'm not sure I understand *why* the warrenties aren't transferrable... I understand that its common practice, but how would the bike changing hands affect the warrenty-related problems the bike might have? Is it because it makes it harder to track who did what?
Keys

Post by Keys »

A Rebel is 'moving up' from a Buddy? I've owned both and you'll notice that I currently have the Buddy and DON'T have the Rebel. Something about the "grin" factor being off the charts when I ride my Buddy.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

weebl wrote:was the Stella warrenty transferrable? If so that may be why the dealers are confused.
I'm not sure I understand *why* the warrenties aren't transferrable... I understand that its common practice, but how would the bike changing hands affect the warrenty-related problems the bike might have? Is it because it makes it harder to track who did what?
Basically, warranties aren't there to protect the product, they're intended to reassure the buyer and are used as a sales incentive. So once the scooter changes hands, the manufacturer really has no reason to continue the coverage (unless they sell an extended warranty). They've already made their money off the original sale and are now more interested in either selling more new scoots or replacement parts for those on the road.
Some dealers have been known to offer extended warranties for scooters; I think I read that Vespa Santa Barbara (aka Moto Paradiso) sells something like this.

There are also state laws governing warranties, but I'm pleading ignorant on that. Maybe we have an interstate commerce/law expert who can chime in...