Has anyone had their buddy stolen?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

apierce

Has anyone had their buddy stolen?

Post by apierce »

Has anyone had their buddy stolen or know of someone who had? Tell me your experience. What is the best security device to use, or what is the best deterant? I'm a worry wort. You never know living in a apartment complex.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

I worry too. I went to the mall today and had a bit of peace of mind from the Xena XZN6 disc lock alarm. Even with that on the wheel, I still hustled through the bookstore and wolfed down my dinner because my Buddy was out there all alone.

This should give you an idea of how often scoots get stolen. :shock:
apierce

Post by apierce »

Thanks a bunch!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm interested in how/where the scoot was stolen from if it was ganked. I'm a super-paranoid type, so I took a 4' peice of rebar, bent it in half (by hand, even...RAWR!) then dug a hole in front of my motion sensing lights in the backyard and placed it neatly in the middle and covered it in two bags of concrete. If they take it (locked through the center-stand crossbar (not the bolted on part)) then they deserve it. I'll still hunt them down. Besides, I still have the key to the disk lock :)

I'm not above throwing my disk-lock on something I pull up next to that I know is stolen, or using my chain lock (flail)- but that's just my obnoxious testosterone side talking.

Covertly disk-locking something could be fun (goes off on a mind tangent)

I think what I'm really getting at is, what are your security tips for Buddies, at least for those of us without reinforced garages. I'm lucky enough to own my own house/yard, so I can do crazy things like install a rebar anchor. I know that there's tons of people who scoot and live in an apartment or something similar. I think a pool of security ideas (especially tried and true ones) would be beneficial for everyone.

Thanks!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

My friend here in Chicago had a Buddy stolen. It was stolen from the street in front of his house, urban residential neighborhood, 6am-ish on a weekday. He parked in the same place every day, and didn't lock it to anything, and sadly, he did not have comprehensive insurance.

Anything you can do to deter thieves is great, and there are many ways to do that, but nothing beats comprehensive insurance.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I recall an owner reporting 2 Buddys stolen out of a garage...

Yeah, it happens. There are many threads on locks and securing your scooter—some fairly recent. A search should turn up a bunch of them, but here are a few:

viewtopic.php?t=434

viewtopic.php?t=2452

viewtopic.php?t=288
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
growing_wings

Post by growing_wings »

My husband had his Vespa 50cc stolen. He was heart broken! It was stolen from our covered parking spots. It was parked next to his classic car and it was under its cover. He was going to ride it that morning but changed his mind because of an errand he had to run after work. When he came back it was gone forever :cry: . Since it was a 50 cc and the state of Colorado will not license or title them, there was no way to insure it. But because of that, we are both getting new scooters

With comprehensive insurance!!! Two Xena disc locks and multiple chains attached to the steel bars of the parking structure!!
mandyscoots

Post by mandyscoots »

Since I got my Xena I don't worry anymore. Maybe I still should but I don't. In fact I park it right in front of my house overnight.
:D
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

If a person wants to steal it, they'll find a way. Back then, on camera, some guy's honda cbr was picked up by 2 strong men, and put into the back of a van. All done in less than 5 seconds. Now that bike weights alot more than a buddy :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There are stories (possibly urban myths) around the Net about scooters being stolen by being lifted into trucks or carted away on skateboards and dumped into a truck or van.

And I was on Washington DC scooter forum and it sounds like theft is very common in that area. They have a separate board for it. :shock:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

another effective theft deterant might be to induce the would-be thief's low self esteem: http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2 ... lf-esteem/

sorry if this is old news, couldn't remember if i saw it here or an another forum. what, you thought you were the only one for me, baby?? I HAVE NEEDS!
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
Xena

Post by Xena »

mandyscoots wrote:Since I got my Xena I don't worry anymore. Maybe I still should but I don't. In fact I park it right in front of my house overnight.
:D
Which one did you get? I have been interested in this as well...
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

My friend metropolitan was stolen (she left it parked at a train station with no disk lock or chain for a weekend- not reccomended) The police actually recovered it a few day later. Seems like someone took it for a joy ride and dumped it when the gas ran out. They had used a screwdriver jammed in the ignition to start it I think. Anyway, she lucked out big time.
Scoot first, ask questions later.
Xena

Post by Xena »

EEKS...I just went online to check what coverage I have on our scooters and we have comprehensive and collision...whew

Although, money would not be a replacement for my beloved Buddy...