New Buddy Spedometer doesnt work :( help

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

creambuddy8

New Buddy Spedometer doesnt work :( help

Post by creambuddy8 »

Hi, I am so upset, got my new Buddy 125 2007 home and the spedometer does not work. I can't believe the guy let me take it home like that! I called another dealer and they said there is a cable that may be loose. I am an hour away from a Genuine mechanic and don't have a car. Can I look at this myself? any help would be greatly appreciated. I got the Buddy 2 hours from my home when I had a rental truck. Can I hold this guy responsible for my traveling costs to fix this? so sad b :cry:
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Have no fear! I betcha you can DIY the loose cable. From what I know, there's two points where the speedo cable can come loose: inside the headset, and down by the front fork, adjacent to the tire. Removing the headset can be a real pain in the neck, but it can be done. If I can do it, ANYONE can! :wink:

But! I bet you won't even need to, because it's often just loose at the connector down by the front fork. You'll see a cable running down the side of the fork with a twisting connection. Check that connection, and see if that does the trick -- I bet it does. Good luck! Let us know if that works.
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Have you contacted the dealer where you got the Buddy and explained your situation? That would be the first course of action. They're should check the speedometer as part of the pre-delivery inspection. They should be responsible for getting it fixed at their inconvenience and expense.

But assuming the problem is the cable (which is very likely) this is a fairly easy thing to fix, depending on where the cable is loose or disconnected. Chances are, it's loose under the headset. Though it's easy, not everyone is comfortable taking apart the top of their new Buddy.

So I suggest first calling the original dealer. And if you can't work something out with them to get it fixed, someone here can post some instructions on fixing it. We may be able to track down some photos to help, even.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Moderator powers, ACTIVATE! :lol:

I found these two threads that might help:

viewtopic.php?t=2459
viewtopic.php?t=1768

Neither includes photos, alas. But the connector at the fork is easy enough to find, as it's out in the open. The headset is a bit trickier, hmm....
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:But! I bet you won't even need to, because it's often just loose at the connector down by the front fork. You'll see a cable running down the side of the fork with a twisting connection. Check that connection, and see if that does the trick -- I bet it does. Good luck! Let us know if that works.
Here's an image showing where the cable connects to the front fork (top) and in the headset (bottom). The lower part looks much scarier than it is! There are instructions for taking the headset apart if necessary.

The image is from page 82 of the service manual. There's a link to that in this thread:
topic1354.html
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
creambuddy8

thanks everyone

Post by creambuddy8 »

thanks everyone for posting. The cable and the bottom fork seems to be attatched, I am assuming now it is under the spedometer area. I am feeling brave enough to take it apart if anyone can post some great step by steps or pics. thanks again so much.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I doubt you'll even have to remove the bottom part of the headset. When I replaced my stock headset panel with the chrome, we needed to disconnect the speedometer from its cable. Then, we just screwed it right back into place.

You'll see three screws around the top part of the headset. Once you remove these, you'll notice the tabs that further hold the plastic panels in place. Gently but firmly pop the tabs, taking care to not scratch the glass speedo or drop the shiny "chrome" ring around the headlight. The biggest diameter cable in the console is the speedo cable. It might be dangling loose, or it might still be (poorly?) connected to the speedo. Ease it back into place, taking care not to pull it out of its connection at the front fork.
ModBud #442
Sparky

Loctite!

Post by Sparky »

Get some blue (removable) Loctite. Put it on the threads of the speedo cable beneath the headset before you screw it back in. That's a known weak spot and is prone to unscrewing itself quickly due to the buzzy nature of the Buddy. I once had a dealer fix the problem...and it recurred within ten miles. The Blue Loctite fixed the problem.
creambuddy8

odometer doesnt work either now

Post by creambuddy8 »

just noticed now that the odometer is not working either. Does this mean a bigger problem or just the main cable?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

The odometer and the speedometer are controlled by the one cable.
ModBud #442
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Unscrew the 4 screws that connect the bottom black plastic piece to the top painted piece. The screws are all upside down. Once removed, get a flat head and gently pry the tabs off the front near the brake levers, you can take the top plastic piece off about 3 or 4 inches, enough wiggle room to hook it back on.
AJB

Post by AJB »

topic4494.html

The thread above by tyger23 can also be found in the technical library. This has all the pics you'll need with instructions to get the panels off. It's not about connecting the speedo cable, but you can't miss the huge speedo cable coming out of the middle of the underside of the instrument panel (or probably hanging loosely in the middle).

My speedo cable disconnected three days after I picked up my Buddy. Me not knowing how to fix it left it that way for two months until my first oil change brought me back to Scooterworks. It promptly became disconnected four days after they reconnected it.

Then I decided to upgrade the headlights and turn signals and reattach it myself because there was a four week wait for the next service appointment (not cool - Chicago riders be advised). Like you, I'm somewhat annoyed that it wasn't attached well and doesn't seem to want to stay attached - mostly because it'd be nice to have a reasonably accurate odometor. However, I at least know how to do it myself now if I need to.
MarsR

Re: odometer doesnt work either now

Post by MarsR »

creambuddy8 wrote:just noticed now that the odometer is not working either. Does this mean a bigger problem or just the main cable?
Keep in mind that--depending on how long the odometer has not been working--your new scooter may have a lot more miles on it than you think. :roll:
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
takora

Post by takora »

Ack, the same thing happened to me this morning! I'm glad it sounds like an easy fix. I do have a bit of a bumpy ride every day, are there other problems like this I should look out for, other things that can easily come disconnected from all the bumps and vibration?
BGTsoccer1

Post by BGTsoccer1 »

After our huge hail storm mine didnt work for about a half mile and then shot up to 40mph and havnt had any problem since.
Barberry17

Post by Barberry17 »

AJB wrote:topic4494.html

The thread above by tyger23 can also be found in the technical library. This has all the pics you'll need with instructions to get the panels off. It's not about connecting the speedo cable, but you can't miss the huge speedo cable coming out of the middle of the underside of the instrument panel (or probably hanging loosely in the middle).

My speedo cable disconnected three days after I picked up my Buddy. Me not knowing how to fix it left it that way for two months until my first oil change brought me back to Scooterworks. It promptly became disconnected four days after they reconnected it.

Then I decided to upgrade the headlights and turn signals and reattach it myself because there was a four week wait for the next service appointment (not cool - Chicago riders be advised). Like you, I'm somewhat annoyed that it wasn't attached well and doesn't seem to want to stay attached - mostly because it'd be nice to have a reasonably accurate odometor. However, I at least know how to do it myself now if I need to.

About 2 weeks ago, same thing with the speedo. Was driving, and all of a sudden, looked down, and speed wasn't registering! Just a few days ago is when I also realized that the odometer as well was not moving. This post was so helpful to me, to see visually how things are going to look before I open up the top panel. I live in the city, and don't have a place to keep the scoot safe if I need to leave it while working on it, say if I needed a different tool, etc., so I had to make sure I had everything I would need. The helpful part with the detailing of a #2 Phillips, excellent advice, and let me add, very helpful to have a very long screw driver, I bought a 8 inch long screw driver, though I think a 6 of 7 inch would have worked a tad better, the 8 was almost too long. Was $5 at Home Depot.

I had tried before to take off the top cover for something else, I don't recall what, but I had a lot of trouble with the angle of the screws, and maneuvering with a short length screw driver. But when I called to the scooter shop today, they said I couldn't probably be in and out very quickly, but would rather have to drop it off for a few days, due to their short staffing. But, they mentioned the possibility of doing it myself. I doubted myself, and didn't want to start something that I couldn't finish, and given that I have never worked on a car or a scooter before, I really was not confident. But after finding that above link, I was determined to try!

Bought the screw driver, took a bit of time to realize the angle of the screws upside down w/o a flash light, but I was able to get them out, get the chrome headlight cover ring off, found the cable inside was completely unscrewed from the speedo, plugged it in and got my hands greasy, closed it all back up, drove up the street, and the speedo is working again, and odometer rolling as well. I went from doubting myself, ready to pay over $100 / hour for labor (just one more of a million reasons why living in NYC sucks), to finding this on the forum, taking charge, and being proudly able to call my family and tell them that I am learning scooter mechanics!