Why A Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gt1000

Why A Buddy?

Post by gt1000 »

I've read through a few threads discussing early impressions of new Buddys. After a week and 100 miles, it's my turn.

Buying the Buddy was kind of an impulse. It was apparent that I was going to need to put more money into my Aprilia, so I decided to test ride a few 150's. Fortunately, I had been motorcycle and scooter shopping since late July so I had already ridden the Vespas and Yamahas and had eliminated the Hondas and Suzukis. My original plan was to replace my Aprilia with a 150 next Spring.

My first choice on paper was the Bet and Win, mainly because of the rear disc brake. Second choice was Vespa and, after that, I was open. When I got to Sportique, they didn't have a Bet and Win and they were really enthusiastic about the Buddy, which I hadn't seen yet in person. I rode an orange 125 and a People 150. Both seemed very well built compared to my Aprilia and both were quick, although the Buddy felt quicker to me. I also liked the Buddy's size, it looks small even for a 50. At $800 less than a People and $1600 to $2000 less than a 150 Vespa, my mind was almost made up. I checked out Chetaks and a Stella but the Chetak's big (we have one downtown parking space for car, Ducati and scooter) and the Stella wasn't available. There was a mostly uncrated orange Buddy with zero on the odometer sitting on the lot. After checking out the other colors and availability, I bought the orange one.

*The Buddy feels quicker than the other 125s and 150s I rode. I also consistently beat cars off the line, much to their astonishment.
*The size is perfect for the way I use scooters.
*Fit and finish, while not up to Vespa standards, are first rate.
*Storage volume is excellent. I can fit either of my helmets under the seat and the open front space is accessible while I'm actually on the road.
*Storage access with the key in the ignition is also great. I know other scoots use this type of arrangement, but it's new to me and I like it.
*For the most part I like the handling. The Buddy responds well to swerve inputs and it tracks well around fast sweepers. It's also a little fidgety on rough pavement or riding two up.
*The kick start actually works!
*It's hard to imagine a ride with a higher fun factor. Nimble, quick and responsive, the Buddy also has this low, 4 stroke rumble that pretty much makes me laugh every time I hear it.
*This forum. If I had known about the forum beforehand, my decision would've been even easier. It's great to be able to talk about our experiences like this.

Dislikes:

*Mirrors. They're not horrible, but they could easily be better.
*Foot space seems a little tight sometimes.
*The DOT turn signals, which will be gone soon.
*The tires, although it's too early to tell for sure.

That's about it. Some folks have mentioned the rear brake as a dislike but it's my guess that scooters have weak rear brakes by design. Think about it: the one sure way for a beginning moto rider to get thrown is to lock up the rear brake at speed and then release it because "that seems like the logical thing to do." If you make it almost impossible to lock the rear, you have a "safer" scooter. I'm not sure about this because I haven't panic stop tested the rear brake yet, since my Buddy is so new. But, in day to day riding, it feels like it would be tough to lock.

All in all, this is a great little package that I'm really enjoying. And thanks to everyone here for making this forum a great source of information!
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Post by Motorsport Scooters »

Great, well-articulated, and very accurate write up!
I personally found the brakes to be more than adequate.
I'm excited to have these scooters.
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
http://www.scooterwest.com/
#1 source for all things Vespa
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Motorsport Scooters wrote:Great, well-articulated, and very accurate write up!
I personally found the brakes to be more than adequate.
I'm excited to have these scooters.
Thanks. I didn't mention the front brake because others have, but it's very good, which makes the "weaker" rear brake a non-issue. The front brake is strong and there's good feel, so quick, hard stops are easy to modulate.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

An excellent write-up!

Obviously, I have a Buddy already, but it makes me happy to hear other people post very positive reviews because it justifies the purchase. Actually, at this point, it's not even justifying it, it's all just gravy now. :D 8)
Huh? What just happened?
RisingSunset

Post by RisingSunset »

Excellent review! :)
Elm Creek Smith

Things to remember

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Well, just one, really. My wife followed me back from the scooter store today and mentioned that when I slowed down, if the brake light didn't come on, she would close on my Buddy in the Oldsmobile more than she intended. When I roll out of the throttle, the scoot really slows down, almost like downshifting a regular bike.

When in traffic, I'd recommend touching the brake handle(s) just enough to light that puppy up. Might keep someone in a car from suddenly appearing 6 inches from your tail light.

ECS