Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunt Week 5: Your Scoot/History

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PondMermaid

Post by PondMermaid »

Hellooo all ~ I am loving all these pics and jokes you post, what a great group you all are. I have almost 300 miles on my PINK Buddy 125. Sadly, mom (with Alzheimers) fell and broke her hip, had surgery and has to go back in July 4 for more surgery so I am not getting the scooter time or pics but wanted to share with you how much I am enjoying all of you participating. My turn will come, and I want to THANK YOU all for your insight before I made my all important purchase. I am so very pleased. Once I figure out how to post a picture I will share that with you. Love, Pond ~ Muuuuuuuah
SANTRO-PEY

Post by SANTRO-PEY »

3pts scooter with historical building
2pts for being in photo
3pts riding scooter past building

8pts

hopefully my pic will post this time
Attachments
week5.jpg
week5.jpg (55.61 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

The sotied battle cry: "This one is for the little leaguers!"

:D
ScootLemont

Re: Light on my Buddy

Post by ScootLemont »

sotied wrote:Edited to correct Sire Lemont's spelling.
3 Points for my scooter with the historical marker and monument
2 Points for me in the photo with Scootle
3 Points for riding Scootle and not being nude
3 Points for using a prop - in my hand is a flashlight and I am acting as a human lighthouse
2 Points for posing like the monument or statue (I'm a lighthouse)
TOTAL = 13 POINTS
hey eric.... can we get spell check as an enhancement?
no points for not being nude (this week)
prop counts - posing dosent
11 points!
Nice work
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

SANTRO-PEY wrote:3pts scooter with historical building
2pts for being in photo
3pts riding scooter past building
8pts
Great pic
I am NOT questioning your entry - can you tell us about the building?
Is that a mill or something? - just looking for some educational detail
Great pic & thanks for playing!
Last edited by ScootLemont on Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

SANTRO-PEY, I love ponds/mills. Great pic!!! :o
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

sotied wrote:I'm guessing next week we'll have to get a Boll Weevil or a Cotton Gin or a corn field in the photo and I'll be SOL.
For next week I was thinking of the pacific ocean :wink:
But you will probably pose like water :lol:
Christy

Post by Christy »

Orange Guy wrote:
sotied wrote:2 Points for posing like the monument or statue (I'm a lighthouse)
I think it's 11 points.
ScootLemont wrote: For the statue people…
+ 2pts if you are posing like the statue (yes you still get the other 2pts for being in the pic)
The rule clearly states statue, not statue or monument.

And I would my mouth shut, but you accused a lot of people of balancing or photoshopping out kickstands. So it only seemed fair to jump on your technicality.

I concur.
Posing is in reference only to a statue, the rules were clear about that. you can't post like a lighthouse. i mean shoot, I'll be posting my pic tomorrow, will I be allowed points for posing like a traincar?

and that's pretty crappy to accuse people of photoshopping. you're not making many friends.
EPSP #76
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

PondMermaid wrote:Hellooo all ~ I am loving all these pics and jokes you post, what a great group you all are. I have almost 300 miles on my PINK Buddy 125. Sadly, mom (with Alzheimers) fell and broke her hip, had surgery and has to go back in July 4 for more surgery so I am not getting the scooter time or pics but wanted to share with you how much I am enjoying all of you participating. My turn will come, and I want to THANK YOU all for your insight before I made my all important purchase. I am so very pleased. Once I figure out how to post a picture I will share that with you. Love, Pond ~ Muuuuuuuah
Sorry to hear about your mom - hope things will take a turn for the better - glad you are enjoing the hunt & I cant wait to see you join in
here is photo posting help from Eric
ericalm wrote:Preferred way of posting an image:
You'll need to use a free (or other) image hosting service such as Flickr, Photobucket, even .Mac.
Link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.some-unknown-place.net/my-picture.gif. Image links must end with an acceptable image file extension: .gif, .jpg, .png. When posting an image hosted on Flickr, the URL will frequently end in "?v=0" or something similar. To post the image, just remove that bit from the URL so the name ends in ".jpg". You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor to images stored behind authentication mechanisms such as Hotmail or Yahoo mailboxes, password-protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag (if allowed). BBCode example:

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.service.com/imagename.jpg[/img]
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Christy wrote:and that's pretty crappy to accuse people of photoshopping. you're not making many friends.
I am willing to bet that sotied is yanking everyone's chain with his post... a little tounge & cheek
Eric - can we get an emoticon for SARCASTIC?
Last edited by ScootLemont on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

ScootLemont wrote: Eric - can we get an emoticon for SARCASTIC?
I belong to a different board, and we found we sometimes had trouble getting the proper inflection across. Too many folks were getting ticked off, so now we've adopted [sf] and [/sf] to indicate "sarcafont". :wink:
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

in my hand is a flashlight and I am acting as a human lighthouse
2 Points for posing like the monument or statue (I'm a lighthouse)

:rofl:

i love it!
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

sotied wrote:And to ask forgiveness from Ms. Oscoot. It seems that they DID make racquets out of wood back in the 1980s. I vote that she gets an additional point for using a true relic in her historical photo.

Apology accepted. And actually....it's a Prince graphite racket, circa 1983. I "upgraded" from my former Wilson Lady Advantage wooden racket! I was playing tennis with that Wilson before a lot of you were even an idea in your parents mind! :lol: :lol:

So....ScootLemont....I'm still waiting on the judges official ruling on my posing? Is it a 2 pointer?
Attachments
tennis.jpg
tennis.jpg (148.46 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Last edited by OScoot! on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Christy wrote:I concur.
Posing is in reference only to a statue, the rules were clear about that. you can't post like a lighthouse. i mean shoot, I'll be posting my pic tomorrow, will I be allowed points for posing like a traincar?

and that's pretty crappy to accuse people of photoshopping. you're not making many friends.
I'm gonna start my sarcastic posts with the word SARCASM in all caps up top. Sorry the ones in this thread weren't clear.

I really mean no harm and am seriously having so much fun with these challenges that I'm dreading the end of summer when Mssrs Lemont hands the reigns over to someone else.

(on a side note, if you have the skill to balance long enough to look like you're riding, you should get the points for riding)

(side note two, posing like a lighthouse is harder than it appears. I was carrying a monopoly house and some Weebles in my pocket to emulate the lighthouse keeper who also lives in that building beside the light)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
sotied

Post by sotied »

OKBubbles wrote:
ScootLemont wrote: Eric - can we get an emoticon for SARCASTIC?
I belong to a different board, and we found we sometimes had trouble getting the proper inflection across. Too many folks were getting ticked off, so now we've adopted [sf] and [/sf] to indicate "sarcafont". :wink:
I'll add that to my signature!!!!!

Thanks,

Jeff
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

sotied wrote:(side note two, posing like a lighthouse is harder than it appears. I was carrying a monopoly house and some Weebles in my pocket to emulate the lighthouse keeper who also lives in that building beside the light)
Is that a Weeble in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?
Howardr

Re: Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunt Week 5: Your Scoot/History

Post by Howardr »

3 Points = Your Scooter with a Statue

+ 2pts if you are in the photo with your scooter

+ 3pts if you are RIDING your scooter past the thing

+ 3pts for using a PROP There is a Bible in my right hand

+ 2pts if you are posing like the statue except the buddy won't bow her head like Kino's horse, too proud.

=13 points. Sorry this isn't a great pic. It was rush hour and we were trying to shoot between the cars. This is a statue of Father Kino. He was a Spanish priest and explorer (1645-1711) He established missions throughout the southwest (including Tumacacori mission found in Douglaslives photo), taught native American farming and other skills and was an all-around good guy.
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

13 points
3 Points = Your Scooter with a Historical Marker, Historic Building, Historic Landmark, or a Statue
+ 3pts for using a PROP
+ 2pts if you are posing like the statue
+3pts for riding the scooter

I took the old man on the Vino as my photog. I am riding the scoot ILLEGALLY on a sidewalk so I could go slow enough for him to take the picture. I get home and see that he covered my bottom half with pretty yellow flowers. GRRRR! I'm going to try to get back out to retake it with a better angle.

The judge has decided in my favor to grant me the 3 points for riding the scooter!!! :lol:

Anyway, my prop is a shiny brass horn in tribute to Bix Beiderbecke.

Here's a better shot of the prop:

Here's more about the statue:
Ted McElhiney, who sculpted the Bix bust near the bandshell in LeClaire Park, has done it again with a full-sized statue of Bix. The statue is located on the property of the Quad-City Times. The plaque next to the statue reads:

BIX BEIDERBECKE
1903-1931

Bix Beiderbecke, born and laid to rest in
Davenport, was a legendary jazz pioneer who played
the cornet unlike anyone before or since.
He composed music on the spot, never performed a
song the same way twice, inspired
Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust"
and made 250 recordings before he died
at age 28 in 1931.
And here's a better one of the statue ... and again my dad managed to obscure my legs behind flowers.

Last edited by Orange Guy on Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Orange Guy wrote: Unless the judges are feeling especially benevolent and want to give the 3 points for riding the scooter. :lol:
Sure... it is pretty clear you are riding your scooter - please edit your photo post to include the points
nice pic & thanks for playing
sikken

it's killing me!!!!!!!!1

Post by sikken »

i wish i had my scooter... seeing all the fun you guys are having is KILLING me... I wish I didn't have to wait until August!

Please tell me that when this one ends something similar will begin...
ScootLemont

Re: it's killing me!!!!!!!!1

Post by ScootLemont »

sikken wrote:Please tell me that when this one ends something similar will begin...
Here is my plan... This "summer long" hunt will end the Thursday after Labor Day.
At that point, I think there should be a new one started up, but they should only be a month long (4 subjects over 4 weeks) so more people might jump in AND some people wont be able to play as the weather gets bad up in the great white north.
My thought is that the winner of this one gets to run the next one or gets right of first refusal & it is passed on to the person with the next highest points & so on, until someone is willing to run one.
I will post up some info on this in August (or before if I run out of time to keep doing it)
I really am glad everyone is having a good time & be sure to get your pics in by Thursday at midnight! - new hunt starts on the 4th of July!

Question for all our scavenger hunt players:
Should I keep doing the video each week?
I don’t mind doing it, but don’t know if anyone is watching it or thinks it’s as cool as I think it is.
I am NOT fishing for complements here – so if you have an opinion on the video, just PM me – I don’t want this to turn into 25 posts about the video – Thanks.

EDIT 7/2 - I will keep doing the video - several people PM'd me & said they enjoy it - thanks
Last edited by ScootLemont on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

I enjoy the video as a recap to the week. If you didn't do the video, I'd probably take a quick run through the forum pages to see all the pics ... and think to myself, "Someone should put these together in video format."
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

I watch it every week, but it's not a 'must-have'.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Okay, my fellow DFWers...obviously, I will NOT be able to pull off the re-enactment of the Old SchoolBook Depository thing...

I will applaud your efforts from the sidelines. YAY!

We have so many historical monuments to choose from!
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

Christy

Post by Christy »

+3pts, your Scooter with a Historical Marker, Historic Building, Historic Landmark, or a Statue
+2pts if you are in the photo with your scooter
+3pts for using a PROP
8pts

The Interurban Railcar No. 360 was a mailcar and my prop is mail!

I tried to ride it, but I couldn't coordinate the timer and getting the thing moving in time, so this'll just have to do. Pardon my open mouth...seems that I was counting outloud instead of in my mind (for the timer, ya know?)

This one isn't my submission since I was able to get a pic worth more points but it made a pretty nice pic anyway.
Texas School Book Depository
EPSP #76
bunny

Post by bunny »

YAY Christy! I wish you could get points for the matching mail rail car and your Pamplona! :D
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

Christy

Post by Christy »

bunny wrote:YAY Christy! I wish you could get points for the matching mail rail car and your Pamplona! :D
seriously that would have pretty cool.

Right before I turned into the parking lot, there was a cop behind me and I thought he was going to follow me into the parking lot...then he'd probably have ticketed me for riding on the sidewalk into the middle of the park where the front of the traincar was so I could get the pic. You know i'd have begged him for a picture of that! :)
EPSP #76
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I was hoping to get something better but I am running out of time... so here ya go.

3 Points = Your Scooter with a Historical Marker, Historic Building, Historic Landmark, or a Statue
The building was built in 1871 out of Lemont Limestone (1/2 the town is)
FYI - Lemont Limestone was used to build many IL landmarks including the Chicago Watertower, Union Stockyard Gates in Chicago and the "Old Capitol Building" in Springfield where Barack Obama announced his candidacy.
Back to the building... it is on the IL & Cook County lists of Historic Buildings but my favorite historical note is that in 1924, my favorite local bar, Tom's Place, opened in the building (later moved across the street in the 50's) it has been in continuous operation since 1924 - Yes it OPENED DURING Prohibition & was supplied by Al Capone's gang
It now is the home of one of the best italian restaurants in our area
http://ladolcevitarestaurante.com/lemontrestaurant.html
If you are ever in the area... I recommend you stop in for dinner & then a drink at Tom's across the street.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

It was getting hard to keep track of the videos & the weeks of threads for the hunt.... so I put it all on one web page - I think this will keep it more organized now & when we have 10+ weeks in up.

http://www.timwall.com/hunt/

full disclosure- on the bottom of the page, there is a link to my scooter shirts on Zazzle - if you are not interested in shopping for a scooter shirt, dont click the link - this is not a bait & switch to get you to buy shirts - you have been warned
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Christy wrote:I tried to ride it, but I couldn't coordinate the timer and getting the thing moving in time, so this'll just have to do.
Hey... save those photos for the "out takes" video at the end of the summer... (kidding)
pics with just the back wheel of your scoot as you ride out of frame?
pics with you dropping your prop?
pics of you running from the camera & towards your scooter?
:wink:

Great pics this week!

Everyone else.... come on! We had a lot more players last week!
Is this week too hard for you?
Are you too busy for something historical?
Are the rest of you waiting for the week of scooters with hot gals & guys in leather doing shots of tequila?
Christy

Post by Christy »

ScootLemont wrote:
Christy wrote:I tried to ride it, but I couldn't coordinate the timer and getting the thing moving in time, so this'll just have to do.
Hey... save those photos for the "out takes" video at the end of the summer... (kidding)
pics with just the back wheel of your scoot as you ride out of frame?
pics with you dropping your prop?
pics of you running from the camera & towards your scooter?
:wink:

Great pics this week!
I actually deleted them already...i made it to the scoot each time but by the time I got it off the stand it always snapped the pic already. silly time only has a 3 or 10 second waiting period...and i didn't have anyone available to snap it for me. so all the pics ended up being either, no prop showing yet, or foot down or me rocking the scoot (i should have saved that one!). hehehe, the challenges of working a timer! :)
EPSP #76
Syd

Post by Syd »

ScootLemont wrote:...Everyone else.... come on! We had a lot more players last week!
Is this week too hard for you?
Are you too busy for something historical?
Are the rest of you waiting for the week of scooters with hot gals & guys in leather doing shots of tequila?
I'm hoping for a 13 pointer this afternoon, but it may turn into an 8'er, depending on the heat (expected 115 today).
The majority is always sane - Nessus
aerogirl7

Post by aerogirl7 »

13 points for me :D

3 Points = Your Scooter with a Historical Marker, Historic Building,
Historic Landmark, or a Statue
+ 3pts for using a PROP (Mallet)
+ 2pts if you are posing like the statue (standing/hunched over with
mallet)
+3pts for riding the scooter

A little history: This photo is of "The Boilermaker" statue outside Ross Ade Stadium at Purdue University. The 5,400-pound, 18-foot bronze statue was created by sculptor Jon Hair of Cornelius, N.C., and was commissioned by an anonymous donor who wanted to present Purdue with a statue of the world's largest boilermaker. University officials researched several old photographs and newspaper articles to ensure the statue would accurately depict a 19th century boilermaker.

I look like I'm about to beat the hell out of my scooter with that mallet :lol: ...or maybe a crazy cager...
Attachments
Week 5--History or Statue.JPG
Week 5--History or Statue.JPG (36.28 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
At midnight, I'll turn into a pumpkin and drive away in my glass slipper. ~Roman Holiday
aerogirl7

Post by aerogirl7 »

Christy, I love your pic with the matching colors!
At midnight, I'll turn into a pumpkin and drive away in my glass slipper. ~Roman Holiday
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Great pic aerogirl7.....
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

bunny wrote:YAY Christy! I wish you could get points for the matching mail rail car and your Pamplona! :D
I agree bunny....

Christy, that's a great shot!
OScoot!

Video

Post by OScoot! »

[quote="ScootLemont]Question for all our scavenger hunt players:
Should I keep doing the video each week?

I enjoy watching the video, particularly seeing what song you're going to use each week. You do a great job with it but I'm sure it must take a bit of effort to produce! I could understand if you decided to stop.
ScootLemont

Re: Video

Post by ScootLemont »

OScoot! wrote:I enjoy watching the video, particularly seeing what song you're going to use each week. You do a great job with it but I'm sure it must take a bit of effort to produce! I could understand if you decided to stop.
Glad you enjoy it.... not that much work (only take about 10 minutes on my Mac) - I will keep doing them
donkin

Post by donkin »

aerogirl7 -

Nice pic - and the compliment is coming from an IU Hoosier :D

Don
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

my scooter with a statue- 3pts
i am in the photo- 2pts
i am riding my scooter past city hall- 3pts
i have a horse for a prop (on my rear rack)- 3pts
i am posing like the statue- 2pts

13 pts

the statue is of the end of the trail. it represents the end of the trail of tears when the indians finally settled in present-day oklahoma. owasso, in fact, is an osage indian word meaning "end of the trail."

i bowed my head like he has his bowed and also dragged my legs beside me just as his are dragging wearily from lengthy travels. i also attempted to put one hand down on my seat as his hand is pressed against the side of the horse.

this actually ended up being kind of depressing compared to my original idea, which was to go to will roger's historic house nearby in oologah and take a picture driving by while roping a goat with a cowboy hat on.
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

So, you couldn't get the goat to wear the cowboy hat?? :)
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

OKBubbles wrote:So, you couldn't get the goat to wear the cowboy hat?? :)
haha. maybe i should rephrase that...i would be wearing the cowboy hat while roping the goat.
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

I'm an English teacher in real life, and just couldn't help myself.

Great picture!
butero

Post by butero »

This is my entry. I am riding past the Historic Gwinnett Courthouse in downtown Lawrenceville, GA. You can read about it here if you're interested: http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/cgi-bin/g ... =536880236. I didn't think about it at the time, but I'm riding past the back of the courthouse, not the front, which is much nicer. What they won't tell you on this website, but can be found elsewhere, is that Larry Flynt was shot and paralyzed outside of this courthouse during an obscenity trial. I would've used a Hustler magazine as a prop but I didn't have any issues laying around. Plus, there's no way I'm ready to scoot around with only one hand. And that is in no way meant to be dirty. Anyway, here's the picture.

3 points - my scooter with a Historic building
2 points - I'm there
3 points - I'm riding past the thing.

8 points total
Attachments
courthouse.jpg
courthouse.jpg (61.73 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
StacyB

Post by StacyB »

butero wrote: What they won't tell you on this website, but can be found elsewhere, is that Larry Flynt was shot and paralyzed outside of this courthouse during an obscenity trial. I would've used a Hustler magazine as a prop but I didn't have any issues laying around. Plus, there's no way I'm ready to scoot around with only one hand. And that is in no way meant to be dirty.
Neither intended nor received as "dirty"... but... it certainly was amusing!!!! :rofl:
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

hey sailortot...

I hate to be a stickler... but seeing how we are so close in points...

You are not riding your scooter... you are sitting on it :?
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

There is a half inch gap under her feet, she is riding :wink:
Syd

Post by Syd »

Some names are synonymous with their states. Massachusetts and JFK. Illinois and Richard Daley. Alabama and Bear Bryant. Arizona and Frank Kush. Frank Kush? Not Barry Goldwater? Not John McCain, Sandra Day O'Connor or Sheriff Joe? For many people (sadly?) no, Frank Kush will always come first to mind. Longtime head coach of the Arizona State Sun Devils, College Football Hall of Famer, top 20 winningest coaches of all time.

So here I am in front of Frank Kush's statue at Sun Devil Satdium. Try as hard as I could, I couldn't get the pose right. It's hard kneeling on a scoot!

+ 3pts if you are RIDING your scooter past the thing
+ 3pts for using a PROP - I'll bet you didn't know that ASU uses pink footballs in practice, did you? (And as an alumnus of the top University in the state, I couldn't force that devil spawn Sparky on my head.)

So 11 points.

The majority is always sane - Nessus
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Anybody else getting tired of the erased head in the photos? I thought one of the reasons for this whole scavenger hunt was to get to know each other and see us with our scooters?

I think the "you in photo" points ought to be deducted for such tomfoolery.

I mean, if he's not going to show his face, that could be ANYBODY on that scooter.

And there's also that "no photoshop submissions" rule ...

Anyway, what's the logic behind practicing with pink footballs?
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

sailortot made it clear that her foot was dragging to emulate the pose of the statue ... works for me