Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunt Week 5: Your Scoot/History

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

sotied wrote:THAT'S A Badminton Racquet!!!!!

I VOTE DQ for OSCOOT!
As both a badminton and tennis player, OScoot's racket is definitely a TENNIS racket. No doubt. I vote full pose credit for her!!!!

...did I just come out as a badminton player on MB? Wow, I must really trust y'all.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

sargelee71:
we are over the tennis racket & flag as a prop.... now we are going to spend a page talking about dragging a foot & if the scooter is moving forward :cry:
try to keep up will you? (sarcasm)
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

ScootLemont wrote:sargelee71:
we are over the tennis racket & flag as a prop.... now we are going to spend a page talking about dragging a foot & if the scooter is moving forward :cry:
try to keep up will you? (sarcasm)
Aw shucks, ScootLemont, I was in NYC and just got back. Can't I join in on the fun and also come out about a stigmatized identity at the same time? I just marched in the NYC Pride parade with my partner, her sister (also gay) and her dad (totally gay), so I came back with a little extra courage. It's not easy to come out as a badminton player. A little compassion would help in this situation, right? :roll: :P
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Orange Guy wrote:Anybody else getting tired of the erased head in the photos? I thought one of the reasons for this whole scavenger hunt was to get to know each other and see us with our scooters?

I think the "you in photo" points ought to be deducted for such tomfoolery.

I mean, if he's not going to show his face, that could be ANYBODY on that scooter.

And there's also that "no photoshop submissions" rule ...

Anyway, what's the logic behind practicing with pink footballs?
I vote it's a DQ, the rules say plain and simple no photoshop submissions, that includes ms paint. This isn't the first time he has been told about the rule. If he wants to remain anonymous he can get a mask or a helmet
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

thanks orangeguy and scootertrash...i was riding with my feet dragging.

i thought it might be questionable so i did take a few more with my feet lifted up a little. they just arent as good.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ScooterTrash wrote: the rules say plain and simple no photoshop submissions, that includes ms paint. This isn't the first time he has been told about the rule. If he wants to remain anonymous he can get a mask or a helmet
The intent of the no photoshop rule is so people dont try to fake photos or fill up the thread with ones they think are funny.
There are a lot of people pushing the limits with their pics... this week and in a couple of the past weeks... & for the most part, I have let it go.
Syd & I exchanged PMs & I think we will be ok.
Some of the submitted photos have been GREAT - some... not so much. But all have been fun to look at.
The pics from this hunt would make a great calendar or t-shirt... the MB Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunt 08

actually... anyone think a hunt t-shirt is a good idea? - PM me if you would like to see something like that - if we had enough people to give permission to use their photos on a shirt, I could put something together on zazzle
louie

Post by louie »

3 Points = Your Scooter with a Historical Marker, Historic Building, Historic Landmark, or a Statue
+ 2pts if you are in the photo with your scooter
+ 3pts if you are RIDING your scooter past the thing
+ 3pts for using a PROP
So 11 points.

this will take a moment to explain all the pieces. IT'S HISTORY, WITH THE PRESENT AND THE FUTURE all roled into one good story.
this house is one of the first houses built in Springville, AL in 1895 by it's original owner, Mr. Brooks.
It belongs to my oldest friend, i've known her since kindergarten some 45 years. wow.
She and her husband have worked daily for 12 years to make this one of the finest homes in the ever growing town (subdivisions going up everyway) about 30 miles north of Birmingham.
the son of the original builder was born in this house and lived in the house next door. he died a couple of years ago.
the mayor's brother bought the house next door when Mr. Brooks (jr) died. the man wanted to make an industrial yard out of it to match the one he has illigally built across the hill behind the houses. AND he wanted to cut out the hill to connect the two. :evil:
Long hard fought story short my friends are now quite involved with local politics.
One of the friends they've made is the woman who chairs the local historic society. Debbie would much more enjoy being in that group than having to fight for her community's life.
but because of this fight to save their home they have their house on the historic registry=3 points,
are compaigning for another mayor=Prop=3 points,
because the mayor's brother et. al., can bring this zoning vote up again next year.

Extra info includes: the mayor's brother also owns the house on the other side of Debbie :roll: and lots more in the town.
The mayor's family owns Homestead Hollow, home of 4 of the largest crafts' festivals in Alabama( http://www.homesteadhollow.com/main.html ). the chair of the historic society has worked the festivals since its beginning. Since she opposed turning parts of historic Springville into an industrial park she is no longer welcome to enjoy working the festival. She was obviously greatly hurt by the action.
the good news is it doesn't look like the mayor will even run again. the election is in August and his adversaries have been extremely delegent in watching their every move and in opening the eyes of the rest of the town.

Debbie's been a hero of mine for most of my life, now she's just added more reason.
Christy

Post by Christy »

I totally know that this has been addressed already but SYD, instead of photoshopping out your head, just put your FF Helmet on...which we know you have because it was sitting on your scooter in last weeks submission. Easy fix and then you don't have to skirt the photoshop rule OR have you face on the internet.
EPSP #76
jsprandel

Post by jsprandel »

This weeks contest was hard. It’s not like historical places are everywhere…. so I set off hoping to find something I could use.

My first stop turned out to be a dead end - a cemetery no less! Probably some history here, but probably not a good idea to play dead on my scooter! J :roll:
Attachments
Arlington Cemetary
Arlington Cemetary
Arlington Cemetary.JPG (55.36 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
jsprandel

Post by jsprandel »

These boats look too new – guess I’d better keep looking…..
Attachments
Jefferson Memorial
Jefferson Memorial
Jefferson Memorial.JPG (64.96 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
jsprandel

Post by jsprandel »

Anybody with an ego big enough to put their statue on top of a domed building must be pretty important! Too bad I didn’t get my whole bike in this one…
Attachments
US Capital and National Arboretum
US Capital and National Arboretum
Capital.JPG (77.81 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
jsprandel

Post by jsprandel »

A nice fountain (you can't see the water from here) – and look - modern art disguised as a trash bag! Too bad pictures have to be of historical and not modern things…sigh….
Attachments
WWII Memorial
WWII Memorial
WWII Memorial.JPG (59.18 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
jsprandel

Post by jsprandel »

At first, I was very excited to spot this tribute to Sigmund Freud – but then I learned it was built before his time – probably just as well since I couldn’t display my prop anyway…..

(and the guy in the car at the stoplight seemed reluctant to take my picture anyway!) :-)
Attachments
Washington Monument 2.JPG
Washington Monument 2.JPG (63.93 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
jsprandel

Post by jsprandel »

….. and then I learned this structure was famous for procrastination.
- Propositioned for construction in 1880
- Design changed to hollow shaft w/o embellishment in 1847.
- Cornerstone laid on 7/4/1848
- At climax of construction, the struggle between North and South resulted in delayed erection for 25 years
- Erection of shaft resumed in 1880 – there’s a noticeable ring on the shaft from using a different vein of marble.
- Consummation of the project occurred on 8/9/1884 when the capstone was set in place
- A procrastination of 100 years!

Here’s a picture of my scooter and a historical landmark – 3 pts
I’m in the picture with my scooter – 2 pts
I’m the prop (a procrastinator – I waited until Thursday to post, after all, didn’t I?) - 3 pts
(or you can count the patriotic shirt I’m wearing as the prop instead if you want (the north won the struggle!)

8 pts!

Note: I could have maxed out on the points by waving a flag as I scooted past a statue of some guys trying to put up a flag – but safety first! (Taking a hand off the handlebars in busy traffic didn’t seem like a very good idea…..)
Attachments
Washington Monument 1.JPG
Washington Monument 1.JPG (68.95 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

jsprandel wrote:….. and then I learned this structure was famous for procrastination.
Here’s a picture of my scooter and a historical landmark – 3 pts
I’m in the picture with my scooter – 2 pts
I’m the prop (a procrastinator – I waited until Thursday to post, after all, didn’t I?) - 3 pts
(or you can count the patriotic shirt I’m wearing as the prop instead if you want (the north won the struggle!)
8 pts!
I dont know about you as the prop - but the shirt works as a prop in DC
These are some GREAT photos - thanks for all of them along with your comments - very funny
:rofl:
louie

Post by louie »

jsprandel wrote:At first, I was very excited to spot this tribute to Sigmund Freud – but then I learned it was built before his time – probably just as well since I couldn’t display my prop anyway…..

(and the guy in the car at the stoplight seemed reluctant to take my picture anyway!) :-)
good one.
sotied

Post by sotied »

louie wrote:3 Points = Your Scooter with a Historical Marker, Historic Building, Historic Landmark, or a Statue
+ 3pts for using a PROP
So 11 points.

this will take a moment to explain all the pieces. IT'S HISTORY, WITH THE PRESENT AND THE FUTURE all roled into one good story.
this house is one of the first houses built in Springville, AL in 1895 by it's original owner, Mr. Brooks.
It belongs to my oldest friend, i've known her since kindergarten some 45 years. wow.
She and her husband have worked daily for 12 years to make this one of the finest homes in the ever growing town (subdivisions going up everyway) about 30 miles north of Birmingham.
the son of the original builder was born in this house and lived in the house next door. he died a couple of years ago.
the mayor's brother bought the house next door when Mr. Brooks (jr) died. the man wanted to make an industrial yard out of it to match the one he has illigally built across the hill behind the houses. AND he wanted to cut out the hill to connect the two. :evil:
Long hard fought story short my friends are now quite involved with local politics.
One of the friends they've made is the woman who chairs the local historic society. Debbie would much more enjoy being in that group than having to fight for her community's life.
but because of this fight to save their home they have their house on the historic registry=3 points,
are compaigning for another mayor=Prop=3 points,
because the mayor's brother et. al., can bring this zoning vote up again next year.

Extra info includes: the mayor's brother also owns the house on the other side of Debbie :roll: and lots more in the town.
The mayor's family owns Homestead Hollow, home of 4 of the largest crafts' festivals in Alabama( http://www.homesteadhollow.com/main.html ). the chair of the historic society has worked the festivals since its beginning. Since she opposed turning parts of historic Springville into an industrial park she is no longer welcome to enjoy working the festival. She was obviously greatly hurt by the action.
the good news is it doesn't look like the mayor will even run again. the election is in August and his adversaries have been extremely delegent in watching their every move and in opening the eyes of the rest of the town.

Debbie's been a hero of mine for most of my life, now she's just added more reason.
Debbie hates you now that you rode across and ruined her lawn. The only thing you can do to repay her is scoot all over town with political signs.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Christy wrote:I totally know that this has been addressed already but SYD, instead of photoshopping out your head, just put your FF Helmet on...which we know you have because it was sitting on your scooter in last weeks submission. Easy fix and then you don't have to skirt the photoshop rule OR have you face on the internet.
Can you say Witsec?
louie

Post by louie »

sotied wrote:Debbie hates you now that you rode across and ruined her lawn. The only thing you can do to repay her is scoot all over town with political signs.
We were going to use an old little table as a prop but when i saw the sign in her yard we knew we had the best prop. who do you think took the picture? besides the buddy's way too smooth to do a thing like that. she did suggest i take a ride around town though. i might still do that if she really wants me to.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

ScootLemont wrote:Syd & I exchanged PMs & I think we will be ok.
If you're cool with it, I'll bite my tongue from here on out ... even though I think what he is doing is about as far as one can get from the spirit of the game.
BiscuitHead

Post by BiscuitHead »

3 Points = Your Scooter with a Historic Building (the Tivoli Theater)
+ 3pts for using a PROP (I'm holding a bucket of pop corn)

11 points

The Tivoli Theatre, located in downtown Downers Grove, opened on Christmas Day 1928 as one of the first theatres in the country built to show “talkies.” For more info visit... http://www.classiccinemas.com/History/tivoli.asp

...and yep, I bought the bucket of pop corn from the theater ($3.50 well spent). I even managed to get the picture with pop corn still in the bucket, despite my wife's best efforts to eat it all.

Happy 4th to all!

Last edited by BiscuitHead on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BiscuitHead

Post by BiscuitHead »

ScootLemont wrote:If you are ever in the area... I recommend you stop in for dinner & then a drink at Tom's across the street.
Tried to get my wife to go there tonight... but no go... especially after she ate the whole bucket of pop corn! :lol:
olivemusic

Post by olivemusic »

3 Points = Your Scooter with a Historical Marker, Historic Building, Historic Landmark, or a Statue
This building is on the register of historical buildings in Rockford IL
Attachments
DSC00239.JPG
DSC00239.JPG (131.72 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
Owl you need is love.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Ok, this was near to impossible for me as not only do I live in a historic house with a marker (which doesn't mean it's nice, just old :)) ... but I live in a beautiful historic city. My first idea fell through, but here goes this.

Fleur de Lys Building on Thomas Street, Providence. This is a historic marker building that was featured in H. P. Lovecraft's short story "The Call of the Cthulhu".
From page 142 of the book I'm holding "The Call of the Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories":

thin, dark young man of neurotic and excited aspect.... The youngest son of an excellent family...who had latterly been studying sculpture at the Rhode Island School of Design and living alone at the Fleur-de-Lys Building near that institution. Wilcox was a precocious youth of known genius but great eccentricity, and had from chidhood excited attention through the strange stories and odd dreams he was in the habit of relating. He called himself "psychically hypersensitive", but the staid folk of the ancient commercial city dismissed him as merely "queer".

+3 for historic building
+2 for being in the pic
+3 for riding my scoot (down a crazy hill!)
+3 for prop of Penguin book (left hand....don't do this at home)
= 11
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

Another one just under the wire!

3 pts = your scooter with a Historical Marker, Building, Landmark or Statue (Boston Avenue Methodist Church - see link below)
2 pts = you in the photo with scooter
3 pts = you riding your scooter
3 pts = with a prop (I have a copy of the Methodist Hymnal in my left hand)
TOTAL = 11 points

This happens to be the church I have attended for the last 24 years. It is on the National Register of Historic Buildings, and is one of the finest examples of Art Deco architecture you will ever see. The building is featured on the cover of the current issue of Preservation magazine.

http://www.preservationnation.org/magaz ... ulsas.html

My son was going to meet me to take the pic, but had to work late. Luckily, our custodian's wife was waiting for him in the parking lot, and agreed to take the photo. Whew!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

BiscuitHead:
I used to go to the Tivoli all the time when I was a kid
Thanks for the pic!
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

+3 for historic building - The Rodgers House, former home of John Steinbeck's sister.
+2 for being in the picture
+3 for riding scooter
+3 for prop - Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck.
= 11

The Rodgers House is a registered national landmark. It was previously located in town, actually right next to where I used to work. But the land was put up for sale for development and they cut the house into 4 big pieces and moved it to the county fairgrounds. It was pretty neat to watch all that, and then it was put back together and totally restored at the fairgrounds.
Attachments
IMG_2520.JPG
IMG_2520.JPG (78.62 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

glad to see some blur owners participating. thanks for joining the game biscuithead.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

ok, almost late submission... and not very good..

my buddy at a historical place..

+3 points... its at the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field Seattle...

I know its not very good, its cell phone and last minute... I dont care... deal with it :P
Othergods

Post by Othergods »

siobhan wrote:Ok, this was near to impossible for me as not only do I live in a historic house with a marker (which doesn't mean it's nice, just old :)) ... but I live in a beautiful historic city. My first idea fell through, but here goes this.

Fleur de Lys Building on Thomas Street, Providence. This is a historic marker building that was featured in H. P. Lovecraft's short story "The Call of the Cthulhu".
From page 142 of the book I'm holding "The Call of the Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories":

thin, dark young man of neurotic and excited aspect.... The youngest son of an excellent family...who had latterly been studying sculpture at the Rhode Island School of Design and living alone at the Fleur-de-Lys Building near that institution. Wilcox was a precocious youth of known genius but great eccentricity, and had from chidhood excited attention through the strange stories and odd dreams he was in the habit of relating. He called himself "psychically hypersensitive", but the staid folk of the ancient commercial city dismissed him as merely "queer".

+3 for historic building
+2 for being in the pic
+3 for riding my scoot (down a crazy hill!)
+3 for prop of Penguin book (left hand....don't do this at home)
= 11
Uber cool Cthulhu referrence!!!!
Know the truth: WM3.org

sotied

Post by sotied »

I'm gonna have to adjust my OCD because the moment Friday appears I get all antsy to know the next challenge.

It's now 9:34 and misty in the Boston area and I would LOVE to get the bonus point for the first photo in week six.

By the way - almost got pulled over yesterday and I had my camera with me. Does it count if you get written a warning?

Happy Independence Day everyone. What gives more independence than riding a scoot? Well, other than being able to vote and speak your mind and shop at Target and eat ribs for breakfast?

See you soon - except for Syd who is clearly (pun not intended but it made me giggle) hanging on to his image.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Now on to week 6
topic5811.html