Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunt Week 5: Your Scoot/History

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

ScootLemont wrote:
OScoot! wrote:So what are you guys gonna disqualify this week? :roll:
I dont think General Stuart would be happy with the American Flag.... but we will take it for your effort
Good pic
thanks for playing

You want me to display a VERY controversial confederate flag...which I don't happen to have? Wasn't this supposed to be in honor of AMERICA's BIRTHDAY? I drove 40 miles round trip and spent 3 hours in almost 100 degree weather today to get this photo. All I had was an American Flag. I am NOT going back to try to get another shot. If you all want to diss me for this attempt, then so be it. Even during the Civil War, we were still all Americans. I could buy the "no pink" truck ruling last week .....that was really a joke and all in fun. But geez ......I had a PROP related to America's Birthday.....I posed.....and I followed all the other rules. Now, you're gonna change the rules AFTER I post? C'mon...gimme a break. :(
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

OScoot! wrote:
ScootLemont wrote:
I dont think General Stuart would be happy with the American Flag.... but we will take it for your effort
Good pic
thanks for playing

You want me to display a VERY controversial confederate flag...which I don't happen to have? Wasn't this supposed to be in honor of AMERICA's BIRTHDAY? I drove 40 miles round trip and spent 3 hours in almost 100 degree weather today to get this photo. All I had was an American Flag. I am NOT going back to try to get another shot. If you all want to diss me for this attempt, then so be it. Even during the Civil War, we were still all Americans. I could buy the "no pink" truck ruling last week .....that was really a joke and all in fun. But geez ......I had a PROP related to America's Birthday.....I posed.....and I followed all the other rules. Now, you're gonna change the rules AFTER I post? C'mon...gimme a break. :(

You brought this on yourself, don't get defensive and pissy. I was just joking anyway :wink:
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

([/quote]
You brought this on yourself, don't get defensive and pissy. I was just joking anyway :wink:[/quote]

Didn't sound like you were joking to me. And obviously the rule change wasn't a joke. If you had spent 3 hours in this heat to get a photo that you thought was legit...and then had someone diss it.....you'd get "pissy and defensive" too. :wink: :wink:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Ok... everyone take a breath

OScoot!:
I thought it was clear that the prop should have something to do with the subject - there were examples & the first two people to post got it.
I edited the rules so it would be clear to everyone else.
I included the date & time of the edit so no one would wonder why you got the prop points (in other words, that it was made clearer AFTER your post went up)
I felt it was important to be more clear to be fair to the people the went out of their way to find a prop that fit the photo - brape found a period helmet, ScooterTrash rode around with a cross & 1/2 the scooter owners in Dallas are trying to find a prop that wont get them arrested.
The prop is supposed to be related to your photo item... not necessarily the 4th of July.
I dont care if you have a confederate flag, replica civil war sword, soldier hat (north or south), something to do with the horse - the intent was that the prop would have something to do with the item in the photo. I have now made that clear.
I said that you would get the points (you still will) & you deserve them because the rule was not clear.
Each week, after I post the hunt, people come up with stuff that I didnt think would happen (last week's photos with people and their scooters, for example)
I try my best to make the rules clear, but I dont want them to be like fed income tax form rules.
In my other post, I suggested that you might want to re-take the photo so you wouldnt get grief from other players.
You dont have to re-take the photo.
In my FIRST post after your pic, I said we would take it for your effort. & that we would let it slide.

I am sorry this caused you so much of a hassle
This scavenger is about fun & I am glad you are playing.

FYI - This hunt ends after Labor Day.... I am hoping someone else will do one after that (maybe month long ones?) & then they would pass it over to another person... & we can keep it going.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Oh, YOUR hunt ends after labor day correct? not the history one, I think I misread this at first :lol:

I would be more than happy to take the torch :wink:
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

i thought the original rules were clear, but it always helps to be more in depth i suppose.
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

3 Points = Your Scooter with a Historic Building
+ 2pts if you are in the photo with your scooter
+ 3pts if you are RIDING your scooter past the thing

Total = 8 pts

The Brigham Young Academy building opened its doors in 1892. It is now the home of the Provo City Library.

MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
Scutellosaurus

Post by Scutellosaurus »

Photo taken at the historic Bryant Denny Stadium on the University of Alabama campus with the statue of Paul W. "Bear" Bryant.
+3 Historic landmark and statue
+2 In the photo
+3 I'm riding the scoot
+3 Prop -- I'm holding a Crimson Tide shaker
11 points
Attachments
DSCN0242.JPG
DSCN0242.JPG (123.47 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
Looks good on you, though.
Scro

Post by Scro »

I have a good excuse for also using Bryant Denny Stadium -- The Scutellosaurus is my wife.

3 just for being there
2 for being in the pic
3 for using gas
3 for the shaker stuck in my handlebars
-----------
11 total
Attachments
DSCN0244.JPG
DSCN0244.JPG (115.88 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
"I had to call my mom to pick me up from Rock and Roll Tour." -- Bo Hicks, Baak Gwai
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

You married a Dinosaur? :shock:
Scro

Post by Scro »

ScooterTrash wrote:You married a Dinosaur? :shock:
You're going to get us both in trouble. :)
"I had to call my mom to pick me up from Rock and Roll Tour." -- Bo Hicks, Baak Gwai
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ScooterTrash wrote:Oh, YOUR hunt ends after labor day correct? not the history one, I think I misread this at first :lol:
Right... this "summer long" hunt, that I am currently running, will end Labor day week -
after that, I want to pass it along to someone else to run - my thought is that the winner of this one should get to run the next one.
If the winner does not want to do it, then it goes to the 2nd place person & so on until some one wants to run one.
Eric & I have PMd about it & we were thinking it should be week to week or month to month so people are not resistant to play if they did not play the first 5 weeks & are starting off down 40 points.
More info on this at the end of the summer.... now back to the hunt!
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

maybe scro loves his dinosaur :P
StacyB

Post by StacyB »

3 Points - Your Scooter with a Historical Marker, Historic Building, Historic Landmark
+ 2pts if you are in the photo with your scooter – your entire body & entire scooter must be in the photo
+ 3pts if you are RIDING your scooter
+ 3pts for using a PROP - I am holding an event ticket

11 points

:D :D :D

Due to scheduling conflicts, I'm not sure that the Dallas riders will be able to get together for group pic at Dealey plaza/JFK assassination locale. Since it's right down the street from The Majestic, my husband I took some pics. This is not an entry, but just for fun/sharing.

ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Good pics StacyB :wink:
DouglasLive

Post by DouglasLive »

+3 Historic landmark
+2 I'm in the photo
+3 I'm riding the scoot

Total = 8 pts

At the famous <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Sa ... Tumacacori Mission</a>, Tumacacori, AZ:

Also featured in Paul McCartney's video for 'Stranglehold' off his (*very* underrated) 'Press To Play' album from 1986. Watch the very end for the mission:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wE41epNvdY4
Last edited by DouglasLive on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sotied

Post by sotied »

OScoot! wrote:
ScootLemont wrote:
Good pic
thanks for playing

I'd think anyone with a Buddy would be thrilled to ride another three hours. But if you think your country isn't worth it, that's your choice.

Also kidding. :D
sotied

Post by sotied »

ScooterTrash wrote:Oh, YOUR hunt ends after labor day correct? not the history one, I think I misread this at first :lol:

I'll help out when 'Trash is too busy.
ay pablo

Post by ay pablo »

OK, I'm in on this one.......

Riding in front of the historic old Ft. Lowell near my home:

http://www.oflna.org/fort_lowell_museum/ftlowell.htm

+3 Historic landmark and statue
+2 In the photo
+3 I'm riding the scoot

Total=8 points
Attachments
ftlowell1.jpg
ftlowell1.jpg (81.26 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
Last edited by ay pablo on Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If driving a Hummer says "my penis is small",
.......then what does riding a scooter say?

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.....
Christy

Post by Christy »

the first post point, i thought, was only for the first person each week to get their image submitted, and as the first one to post the challenge, they get a bonus of +1.

or is it +1pt for the first time you participate in the scootenger hunt?

either way, nice pic ay pablo.
EPSP #76
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

3 Points = Your Scooter with a Statue = Arthur Ashe Statue prominantly displayed with all the Confederate soldiers on Monument Ave in Richmond, VA
+ 3pts for using a PROP - It's a tennis racket.
+ 2pts for posing like the statue (judges approved!)
13 point new total

So now that I'm over my heat exhaustion from yesterday's ride....I'll give it another shot. I didn't think this photo was nearly as fun as the one yesterday which was why I didn't post it. But I dare anyone to claim this prop is not related to the statue. And if I could have stood up while riding the scooter with books in my other hand, I'd go for the posing points, but then you guys would have said I needed kids around the scooter. :P

As for a little history:
One of America's most beautiful boulevards, tree-lined Monument Avenue is the only street in the United States that is a National Historic Landmark. It runs through the heart of Richmond's historic Fan District and was originally built as an extension of Franklin Street (already an established neighborhood) toward the Lee Monument. The avenue eventually became a sought after neighborhood and continued west over many years following the placement of new monuments along the street. The type and style of architecture seen in the homes, churches and apartment buildings that line the avenue range from English Tudor, Colonial, Georgian, Spanish, Jacobean, Beaux Arts to Italianate. The avenue stretches into Henrico County and ends at Horsepen Road running five miles in length. Monument Avenue has a wide, two-lane street on both sides of the generous median, going east and west.

Here is a link that shows all the other monuments on this street:
http://www.monumenthouse.com/richmond/monument/

There was much controversy about the placement of the Arthur Ashe monument on the same street as all the Confederate War heros. Some Richmond residents voiced their belief that Ashe was too good to be commemorated on the same street with men who supported the institution of slavery, while others thought that the statue was "disgraceful and defiled the memory of the mounted, weapon-bearing, medal-massed soldiers" positioned along the avenue. Other residents accepted the site as a fitting location for Ashe's immortalization, viewing this placement as a "symbol of racial healing."

Last edited by OScoot! on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
ay pablo

Post by ay pablo »

Christy wrote:the first post point, i thought, was only for the first person each week to get their image submitted, and as the first one to post the challenge, they get a bonus of +1.

If I misunderstood, I need to remove a point. I thought it was a point for a person's first post, but I might be mistaken! If so, than I have
8 points !

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.....
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Dunno OScoot!, looks like you have an aluminum racket ... and from pics I found, Ashe used a wooden racket. :P :lol:

Honestly, I'd say you got the pose, too. For safety reasons, you can't do both.

We'll have to see what the judges say.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

sotied wrote:
I'd think anyone with a Buddy would be thrilled to ride another three hours. But if you think your country isn't worth it, that's your choice.

Also kidding. :D
Easy to say for someone who lives where the temp today was 71 degrees. You try riding around on asphalt in the blazing 100 degree heat with gear on and see how long you last. <just kidding :whew: > I only took the jacket off for the photo shot. It was not the most pleasant ride which attributed to my :evil: attitude. But I'm cool now.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Orange Guy wrote:Dunno OScoot!, looks like you have an aluminum racket ... and from pics I found, Ashe used a wooden racket. :P :lol:

Honestly, I'd say you got the pose, too. For safety reasons, you can't do both.

Yeah....well, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the prop gets thrown out for just that reason. But at least you can see it. :wink:
StacyB

Post by StacyB »

Another awesome picture, OScoot! You go, Girl! :D
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

OhScoot!
Great pick - thanks for the new pic
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Christy wrote:the first post point, i thought, was only for the first person each week to get their image submitted, and as the first one to post the challenge, they get a bonus of +1.
it is a point for the first person to post each week - since we had the same mix up last week, I will go edit the rules
sorry about that
ay pablo

Post by ay pablo »

ScootLemont wrote:
it is a point for the first person to post each week - since we had the same mix up last week, I will go edit the rules
sorry about that
I should probably lose an extra point for not being able to follow the rules. Sorry.

OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

StacyB wrote:Another awesome picture, OScoot! You go, Girl! :D
Thanks StacyB.. I appreciate the kudos.....and BTW....I got goose bumps when I saw your second photo! Oooohhhh.....eeeeee.....I can remember watching the motorcade that day led by the motorcycle cops.....eerie....I was half expecting to see a convertible behind you with JFK and Jackie sitting in the back! Great picture.
StacyB

Post by StacyB »

Thanks, OScoot!
Othergods

Post by Othergods »

3 Points = Your Scooter with a Historic Building
2pts if you are in the photo with your scooter
3pts if you are RIDING your scooter past the thing
3pts for using a PROP
11 Points Total

The skinny on the building:
The school opened in 1902 as Sanford High School. With the construction of a new high school in 1911, the building was renamed Sanford Grammar. Sanford Grammar served public school students through the year 1984. At that time, the mission and name changed-the facility became the Student Museum and Center for the Social Studies.

The Student Museum and Center for the Social Studies is supported and operated by the Seminole County Public Schools as an interpretive center and teaching museum. The instructional programs are student oriented and engage participants in specific hands-on activities designed for integrated learning in an historic setting.

I took 2 photos, 2 different props. The first one is a plain wooden ruler, I figured it fit the historic school. My wife bought the second for me to use, it is one of those autograph dogs for a graduation, the dog has a graduation hat on.

Know the truth: WM3.org

pretz_ruck

Post by pretz_ruck »

MarsR wrote:3 Points = Your Scooter with a Historic Building

Total = 8 pts

The Brigham Young Academy building opened its doors in 1892. It is now the home of the Provo City Library.

I think your flag should count as a prop
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Flag with a Government run building (library) = prop. ;)
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

pretz_ruck wrote: I think your flag should count as a prop
This has been covered already :roll:
pretz_ruck

Post by pretz_ruck »

ScooterTrash wrote:
pretz_ruck wrote: I think your flag should count as a prop
This has been covered already :roll:
I saw that when i got to page 2...sorry about that :?
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Orange Guy wrote: Honestly, I'd say you got the pose, too. For safety reasons, you can't do both.
ScootLemont wrote: OhScoot!
Great pick - thanks for the new pic .
Ok judges.....so what's the official ruling on this one? Do I get the bonus posing points? I gotta ask! :wink:
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I'm not a judge, but I'll give you credit for the pose. Great pic.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

pretz_ruck wrote:I think your flag should count as a prop
Thanks pretz_ruck, but the historical significance of this building is as a school, not as a public library. I guess I could have been carrying some school books or something, but I'm not gonna win on points anyway, so I just wanted a nice pic. The flag just happens to be on my scoot now so it's in the pic, too. :D

I'm still having a lot of fun with this scavenger hunt. It's good to see some of the really nices pics this week. Thanks ScootLemont! I think you're doing a fine job with this.

C'mon, everybody, keep those pictures coming. We need more cowbell!!! :D
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
sotied

Post by sotied »

OScoot! wrote:3 Points = Your Scooter with a Statue = Arthur Ashe Statue prominantly displayed with all the Confederate soldiers on Monument Ave in Richmond, VA
+ 3pts for using a PROP - It's a tennis racket.
11 points total

So now that I'm over my heat exhaustion from yesterday's ride....I'll give it another shot. I didn't think this photo was nearly as fun as the one yesterday which was why I didn't post it. But I dare anyone to claim this prop is not related to the statue. And if I could have stood up while riding the scooter with books in my other hand, I'd go for the posing points, but then you guys would have said I needed kids around the scooter. :P

Badminton Racquet!!!!!

I VOTE DQ!
sotied

Post by sotied »

THAT'S A Badminton Racquet!!!!!

I VOTE DQ for OSCOOT!
bunny

Post by bunny »

Lay off OScoot!!!!!! At least she's making an effort and has submitted not one but TWO photos (hahahahaaaa - I'm channelling the Count today...)

I give her credit. She's been researching her town's history AND taking pictures. Learned something new, too, I'll bet.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

StacyB

Post by StacyB »

bunny wrote:Lay off OScoot!!!!!! At least she's making an effort and has submitted not one but TWO photos (hahahahaaaa - I'm channelling the Count today...)

I give her credit. She's been researching her town's history AND taking pictures. Learned something new, too, I'll bet.
Agreed. And, hopefully she (as well as everyone else participating) is having fun too! :D :D
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

sotied wrote:THAT'S A Badminton Racquet!!!!!
Obviously we have a lot of testosterone-laden boys here who think it great fun in trying to harrass an old lady. Sorry boys....been around too long to let a shot like that one get me ! BTW.... The tennis racket is a Prince racket --- probably older than you are --- which is why you didn't recognize it. :lol:
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

sotied wrote:THAT'S A Badminton Racquet!!!!!

I VOTE DQ for OSCOOT!
I vote DQ for you :twisted:
sotied

Light on my Buddy

Post by sotied »

Edited to correct Sire Lemont's spelling.
And to ask forgiveness from Ms. Oscoot. It seems that they DID make racquets out of wood back in the 1980s. I vote that she gets an additional point for using a true relic in her historical photo.

OK...back to the original post...

This is insanity. Three pages of photos and rambling already. Great topic for the hunt Sire Lemont!

OK. I live near Boston and my options were myriad. But the sticking point in this scavenger photo was having a photo of you RIDING the scoot. That meant I had to corral my girlfriend and.....

OH, sorry. That's a different discussion board.

Well, that meant I had to convince my girlfriend to take some photos of me at a historic site. She's really busy this week so there was a small likelihood of me dragging her out to John Adams house two towns away, the Granary Burial Ground, the Boston Tea Party ship, the Harpoon Brewery, Boston Garden, The Old North Church, Quincy Center Marketplace, The Swan Boats, Harvard College, etc. etc. etc.

BUT I was able to (and when I say I WAS I mean that it was mostly her idea) get her to meet me at the Scituate Lighthouse. According to sources, it's the 11th oldest lighthouse in the nation and one of the oldest continuously occupied and working lighthouses in the country. Here are a bunch of photos of the plaque out front, of the lighthouse and residence, of me on the scooter riding past it with a prop in my hand.

**YOU CAN TELL I'M RIDING BY THE TWO PHOTOS SHOT MILLISECONDS APART. I fear that many other 'riders' are just balancing or have photoshopped out their stands.

By my count, I get all the possible points this week. The only sad part is that I wasn't ticketed by and officer while doing so. THAT woulda been historic.

So,

3 Points for my scooter with the historical marker and monument
2 Points for me in the photo with Scootle
3 Points for riding Scootle and not being nude
3 Points for using a prop - in my hand is a flashlight and I am acting as a human lighthouse
2 Points for posing like the monument or statue (I'm a lighthouse)

TOTAL = 13 POINTS

Here are the photos...
Attachments
P6300292-copy.jpg
P6300292-copy.jpg (21.03 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
P6300280-copy.jpg
P6300280-copy.jpg (20.9 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
P6300278-copy.jpg
P6300278-copy.jpg (39.58 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
P6300277-copy.jpg
P6300277-copy.jpg (40.58 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
Orange Guy

Re: Light on my Buddy

Post by Orange Guy »

sotied wrote:2 Points for posing like the monument or statue (I'm a lighthouse)
I think it's 11 points.
ScootLemont wrote: For the statue people…
+ 2pts if you are posing like the statue (yes you still get the other 2pts for being in the pic)
The rule clearly states statue, not statue or monument.

And I would my mouth shut, but you accused a lot of people of balancing or photoshopping out kickstands. So it only seemed fair to jump on your technicality.
sotied

Post by sotied »

By the way, I just noticed that I can't see the photos I've uploaded if I'm not signed in.

Is that a feature or a bug? Eric?

I'm signed in now and have no problem seeing my photos.

Thanks,

Jeff
sotied

Re: Light on my Buddy

Post by sotied »

Orange Guy wrote:
sotied wrote:2 Points for posing like the monument or statue (I'm a lighthouse)
I think it's 11 points.
ScootLemont wrote: For the statue people…
+ 2pts if you are posing like the statue (yes you still get the other 2pts for being in the pic)
The rule clearly states statue, not statue or monument.

And I would my mouth shut, but you accused a lot of people of balancing or photoshopping out kickstands. So it only seemed fair to jump on your technicality.
Just trying to make up for the team of little leaguers that all posed with my scoot in an early week for which I got minimal points instead of a boat-load.

And for the SEVEN Hummers I had in my photo PRIOR to the rule saying only ONE vehicle in the truck photo.

AND, you're totally right. I deserve to be docked that point because it was a stretch, but where was I going to find a statue of someone famous around Boston?

Actually, I have a statue at the harbor in my home town AND I have a statue downtown. One is of a guy on a horse (what would my prop be...my buddy?) and the other is of Lincoln (could I hold up a dollar bill?).

If I don't get the statue points for this one, I might revise my entry later this week. I did luck out being this close to Boston and lots of the country's history.

I'm guessing next week we'll have to get a Boll Weevil or a Cotton Gin or a corn field in the photo and I'll be SOL.

8)
SANTRO-PEY

Post by SANTRO-PEY »

3 pts scooter with Historical Building
2pts for being in the photo
3pts riding scooter past building

8pts