Buddy upgrade

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

b0gman

Buddy upgrade

Post by b0gman »

Ive been wanting more power for my Buddy 125 and i have yet to see any power upgrades on the market eg. exhaust,carb, ignition etc. I was wondering if anyone knows of any power upgrades out there for the buddy. If not what do the ppl here think about the Yamaha Majesty 400cc maxi... I have seen and sat on one and I liked it very much... Im a big guy this bike is a little better fit for me than the buddy.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Buddy upgrade

Post by jrsjr »

b0gman wrote:Ive been wanting more power for my Buddy 125 and i have yet to see any power upgrades on the market eg. exhaust,carb, ignition etc. I was wondering if anyone knows of any power upgrades out there for the buddy. If not what do the ppl here think about the Yamaha Majesty 400cc maxi... I have seen and sat on one and I liked it very much... Im a big guy this bike is a little better fit for me than the buddy.
Well, the Yamaha Majesty is a whole differrent class of machine. The Buddy is a carburated air-cooled 150cc weighing 223 lbs with an MSRP of $2499, whereas the Majesty is a fuel-injected 395cc machine weighing 432 lbs with an MSRP of $5799. The Buddy will be a fun, easy-to-ride city scooter, while the Majesty will love the open roads.

My point is that, no matter what performance mods you make to a Buddy, it will never be a Majesty, because they're entirely different machines with entirely different mission statements.
b0gman

Yah I know

Post by b0gman »

Im aware that these are two totally different kinds of bikes. The Majesty has a better power to weight ratio than the buddy so I would expect better acceleration. I was mainly probing for power ugrades for the buddy as I am looking to add about 5-10mph to my top end taking me from 55 to about 60-65 not for interstate purposes but so I can ride on some of the rural roades between richmond and charlottesville. I would like the ability to ride to cville from richmond but as I am a big guy it is all the buddy can do to maintain 55-60(indicated). The majesty would do much better on that ride however I have a feeling that a few extra horses would give me the extra power that I need
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Yah I know

Post by jrsjr »

b0gman wrote:I was mainly probing for power ugrades for the buddy as I am looking to add about 5-10mph to my top end taking me from 55 to about 60-65 not for interstate purposes but so I can ride on some of the rural roades between richmond and charlottesville. I would like the ability to ride to cville from richmond but as I am a big guy it is all the buddy can do to maintain 55-60(indicated). The majesty would do much better on that ride however I have a feeling that a few extra horses would give me the extra power that I need
Okay, I see exactly what you're after. As of right now, there are no performance upgrades available for the Buddy. I don't have a crystal ball, but my guess is that a performance exhaust will be forthcoming at some point. If that exhaust raises the Buddy's performance by a similar amount as the POC 2 pipe for the Bajaj raises that bike's performance, then the hotrodded Buddy will be happier making the trip you're proposing. Um, one aside, the POC pipe is loud (Ver 2 is not quite as ground-shakingly loud as Ver 1, but it's still loud), and I would expect any pipe that substantially raises the Buddy's performance to also be loud, if that's a consideration.

Again, I refer back to my original comment about mission statements. If you want to be able to make this trip occasionally, you can do it on the Buddy. A hot-rod exhaust may make the Buddy a little zippier (and a lot louder) for that trip. If that trip is going to be the regular mission statement of your scooter, I think you might be happier on a bigger machine.

One of these days (for example, after I get another two-wheeler as I am currently scooterless), let's ride that route up to Charlottesville.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Scooterworks (Genuine's sister company) is developing performance upgrades for the Buddy. There are already kits for the 50cc. You may want to call then to ask about 125 kits; they have a lot of things not listed on their website. 1-888-96-VESPA.

Before you go all the way up to a Majesty, have you considered something in the 200-250cc range like a Kymco or Vespa GT? I don't know if this size engine will give you exactly what you want because I don't have experience with them, but they're certainly closer in size, weight and style to a Buddy.
toga28

Post by toga28 »

I have been exchanging emails with the guys at Scooterworks the last couple of weeks; here's the most recent email:

Hi Andy,
Upgrades should be here by spring. The guys at Genuine are working on a cylinder kit and pipe. As soon as something is announce it will be on our website.Also, you may want to get a few more Buddys, in case you damage one jumping a stream or something trying to get away from Roscoe.
Best regards,
Dean

Looks promising, I hope. I'm sure we'll have these upgrades in the proverbial "two weeks."

Also, you can check out this forum topic for some discussion on B125 upgrades.
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125
Covets thy neighbor's Stella
b0gman

Post by b0gman »

JRSJr are you in the 7 hills scooter club aka powhite trash... Back to topic I have ridden a Silver Wing which is a competitor to the Majesty and found its handling quite acceptable not quite as nimble as the buddy but not a huge pig like a goldwing which ive also ridden. I am simply looking for the easiest way to have a machine capable of safely and reliably doing 55-65 for a sustained period of time once or twice a week.

And as to the 200-250 suggestion for the price of the 250 vespa I can buy a Majesty. I have ridden a morpheus(sp) and a people 250 and found their acceleration to be not much better than my buddy. I hypothesize that this is due to the power: weight ratio which in the case or the morph the power: weight is nearly identical to the buddy and in the case of the people slightly better. Whereas the Majesty at only 30lbs and 500$ more than the morph has double the ponys. I know someone who has a silverwing and after breakin it averages about 65mpg with mixed riding which isnt bad. I only get 85 on my buddy. This is because im 270 and I run it hard
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

hey, bOgman...not sure how you feel about windshields, but adding one can improve your mpg, and also add a bit to your mph. because of your size you probably will not see a huge improvement, but hopefully enough to keep you happy until you upgrade your buddy or buy something beefier. good luck!
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

My GF Sammy has a Majesty, she loves it...man that thing is fast!
I'll ask her to post a review of it here if you'd like.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

You ever see the pics/video of the guy that put a jet with an afterburner in the back of his VW New Beetle? I'm thinking a pulse-jet mounted to the rear rack of my Buddy'd be just the thing!
:wink:

ECS
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:You ever see the pics/video of the guy that put a jet with an afterburner in the back of his VW New Beetle? I'm thinking a pulse-jet mounted to the rear rack of my Buddy'd be just the thing!
:wink:

ECS
Yup. He also has begun mounting rockets on his wife's Honda Metropolitan. Check it out here (scroll down).