How Many Minnesotans are here?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MNBuddy

How Many Minnesotans are here?

Post by MNBuddy »

How many of us here are from Minnesota?

How many of us bought our Buddy from Scooterville?

Let's find out!
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

Me! I live in MN and I bought my Buddy scooter from Scooterville! Where do you live? I live in Brooklyn Park. Do you commute to work? I don't since I work in downtown Mpls (I take the bus). When did you buy your Buddy? What color? 50 or 125? I bought mine two weeks ago. I got the pink 125.

We were actually at the MN state fair when I bought my scooter. We took the bus back to the park & ride right by Scooterville. We bought the scooter (from Ed) and then took the bus back to the state fair! Then we picked up my scooter the next day.
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
MNBuddy

Post by MNBuddy »

We are in Rogers

I have an Orange 125 and my wife has a Pink 125 (She also got a pink helmet). I think she may end up commuting to her job on it some days but I will need to get more nerve before I try commuting to my job.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

I’m in s. mpls. Also bought mine from Ed.
Commute to downtown st. paul (11mi) three to four days/wk.

There’s a few more out there judging from the map posting.
MNBuddy

Post by MNBuddy »

MrNatural wrote:I’m in s. mpls. Also bought mine from Ed.
Commute to downtown st. paul (11mi) three to four days/wk.

There’s a few more out there judging from the map posting.
After I started this topic I realized I could sort the member list by location. But it is still nice to know who is out there. I think Ed at Scooterville has been selling a lot of Buddy's (both 50's & 125's).
tinalee123

Hi Everyone!

Post by tinalee123 »

We are brand new owners of Pink Buddy 50 (for me) and Black Cat 50 (for my darling husband). Just got 'em today and been having a great time! Got ours from Scooterville, the guys there are fantastic! We'll be using them to commute to work (Longfellow neighborhood to NE Mpls); hittin' the coffee shops; scooting around the lakes -- gonna eek out every last drop of warm weather that we can!! :idea: What do you think about organizing a "last hurrah" tour around the city, with a stop somewhere for lunch -- Birchwood Cafe, Signature Cafe (thanks Ed), or some other yummy place??? :idea:
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

I'm MPLS born and raised but now live in OKCity. Spent my teen years in Bloomington and my DH in Richfield. I have a Pink 125 and he has a Cream 125.
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
shaggyz

MN Buddys

Post by shaggyz »

:D I live in St. Paul and have a Black Buddy 125 also purchased from that crazy man Ed. I commute to Golden Valley for work weather permitting.
Lovin' my Buddy.
MrNatural

Re: Hi Everyone!

Post by MrNatural »

tinalee123 wrote:We are brand new owners of Pink Buddy 50 (for me) and Black Cat 50 (for my darling husband). Just got 'em today and been having a great time! Got ours from Scooterville, the guys there are fantastic! We'll be using them to commute to work (Longfellow neighborhood to NE Mpls); hittin' the coffee shops; scooting around the lakes -- gonna eek out every last drop of warm weather that we can!! :idea: What do you think about organizing a "last hurrah" tour around the city, with a stop somewhere for lunch -- Birchwood Cafe, Signature Cafe (thanks Ed), or some other yummy place??? :idea:
I think a little group ride would be fun! I"m in near Bloominton AVe & 42nd St. not far from you guys! My route from home to work downtown St. Paul takes me down the River Road from 38th to Lake, right past you.
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

Has anyone been riding in the Twin Cities area these past couple days? I saw some scooters parked at bike racks today in downtown Mpls but not as many.

I would love to do a group ride if it gets warmer again. I went riding with my husband once--great time-- but that's the only time I've ever ridden with anyone. I'd have to find a way to ride to people's location (NE Mpls) with traffic lights and everything. I'm not a very experienced rider--only have 91 miles on Frenchy--but would still love to ride with others.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

I was out quite a bit but no-where near downtown. Drove out to New Prague in that crazy wind on Saturday. To cross the MN River I took 169 from Old Shak Rd to 101. It was the shortest stretch to cross that I could think of w/out making a huge round-about (thru Shakopee).

I’m hoping to get a windshield and ride into Nov as long as roads are dry.
tinalee123

Post by tinalee123 »

We were out and about, too on Saturday. That wind absolutely kicked our a**es!! I can't wait to order a windshield. We were scooting thru St. Anthony Main area then over the Hennepin Av. bridge into downtown, but, didn't stay there. We followed the river (by the stone arch bridge) toward our home - we're further south, nearby Minnehaha Falls. We'll wait for a little warmer weather and put out a note for a group ride -- do weekends work best for most you?
DO3

Post by DO3 »

MrNatural wrote:Drove out to New Prague in that crazy wind on Saturday. To cross the MN River I took 169 from Old Shak Rd to 101.
Wow, you actually rode across the bridge on 169? That stretch is usually 70+ mph moving with traffic. I don't even care for riding on 282 between Jordan and Shakopee, haven't riden out to New Prague yet. You should have riden down Friday night for the car cruise.
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

tinalee123 wrote:We'll wait for a little warmer weather and put out a note for a group ride -- do weekends work best for most you?
A group ride would be great! Yes, weekends work best for me since I work during the weekdays. Hopefully I'll be more experienced by the time the weather gets warmer. :roll: If nothing else, I'll be sporting a new pink/black/white Joe Rocket jacket to match Frenchy! 8)
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

DO3 wrote:
MrNatural wrote:Drove out to New Prague in that crazy wind on Saturday. To cross the MN River I took 169 from Old Shak Rd to 101.
Wow, you actually rode across the bridge on 169? That stretch is usually 70+ mph moving with traffic. I don't even care for riding on 282 between Jordan and Shakopee, haven't riden out to New Prague yet. You should have riden down Friday night for the car cruise.
I stopped on the on-ramp, screwed up all the courage I could muster and let 'er rip!!! Traffic wasn't heavy but you're right...people get up to speed there. I was actually more comfortable there then driving down busy thoroughfares like University Ave.
On the way back I scouted the old crossing underneath 169 but was a bit leary of getting nabbed for motorized vehicle on that "path". Altho I didn't see any sign stating it was for non-motorized vehicles only. I may inquire somewhere if it's legal to drive thru there.

I'm originally from NP, been there many times for the cruise!!!
Are you the Buddy from Jordan?
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

hangukhurley wrote:
tinalee123 wrote:We'll wait for a little warmer weather and put out a note for a group ride -- do weekends work best for most you?
A group ride would be great! Yes, weekends work best for me since I work during the weekdays. Hopefully I'll be more experienced by the time the weather gets warmer. :roll: If nothing else, I'll be sporting a new pink/black/white Joe Rocket jacket to match Frenchy! 8)
I'll wear my ski bibs that I use for sliding w/the kids.... :clown:
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

The 5-day forecast....for the MN group.
Friday: :roll:
Saturday: :cry:
Sunday: :headache:
Monday: :whew: (wiping the rain off from the wkend)
Tuesday: :clap:
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

MrNatural wrote:
hangukhurley wrote:
I'll wear my ski bibs that I use for sliding w/the kids.... :clown:
I wanted that jacket sooo bad....not in made in my size though :cry:
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

I'm picking up a windshield and black back rack tomorrow from Scooterville. Hopefully, according to your forecast, I will be able to test it all out (with my Givi trunk and brakelight installed) on Tuesday. :lol:
Hittman80

Post by Hittman80 »

I'm from s.mpls by 54th and 13th ave but I ride an et2
shaggyz

Post by shaggyz »

I got my windsheild on today what a difference. I was cold going to Scooterville and on the way home could have kept going. My route to work most mornings from St. Paul is Lexington Energy Park Raymond cross over to E Henn then W River Rd to Plymouth Ave. Great fun and pretty to boot.
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

shaggyz wrote:I got my windsheild on today what a difference. I was cold going to Scooterville...
Hi,

Did you get the short windshield? I was at Scooterville this morning (about 11:00) but they only had the short windshield. I wanted to get the medium one. How does your's work? Does it block your body from the wind? Was it $110? Was it easy to install? Or did Ed or Bob install it for you? I picked up the black back rack. Hopefully I'll get my Givi trunk and brakelight kit installed tomorrow.
shaggyz

Post by shaggyz »

I did get the short one. It seems plenty high enough for me as I am only 5'6. Ed installed it and I got an oil change. I had ordered the trunk but did not like it. I just looked at the one you ordered and might go that way in the spring. I did like the chrome racks but will wait for those also.
I was there at 10 and left at 11 must have just missed meeting you. There was a woman named Ann there with a 50 that I talked with and a guy named Scott just picking his Buddy up.
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

Oh yeah, I must have just missed you. I came in with my husband and two kids. A man was taking off on his black Buddy when I got there--that must have been Scott. I think I talked to the woman with the 50cc Buddy. She had really short hair and is petite--must have been Ann. She rode her scooter from St. Paul and got an oil change and perhaps some accessories. I told her about this message board and the ScooterDiva board. Someone had told her about the Yahoo group for Genuine Buddy. There was also a couple there who had a white fluffy dog (forgot what breed they are).

Someone on this board mentioned that the medium screen isn't much taller than the small screen, so now I'm thinking of getting the tall windscreen and cutting it down. I'll have to see a comparison among all three screens.

Hopefully I can get my Givi trunk installed today since I bought the black rack yesterday.
DO3

Post by DO3 »

I never thought of the old bridge. I walked down there a ways but I wasn't about to walk all the way to the bridge to see if it was still there or not. I wonder how much the ticket would be if you zipped through there anyway?

Yes, I'm from Jordan. The farthest I've ever ventured is to work in Shakopee and back a couple of days. I take 282 to Marystown rd. and then sneek through the new townhouses and across 169. I don't really like the 282 stretch, I probably care too much about holding up traffic, but then again if I'm going too slow there's plenty of room to pass.

MrNatural wrote:
DO3 wrote:
I stopped on the on-ramp, screwed up all the courage I could muster and let 'er rip!!! Traffic wasn't heavy but you're right...people get up to speed there. I was actually more comfortable there then driving down busy thoroughfares like University Ave.
On the way back I scouted the old crossing underneath 169 but was a bit leary of getting nabbed for motorized vehicle on that "path". Altho I didn't see any sign stating it was for non-motorized vehicles only. I may inquire somewhere if it's legal to drive thru there.

I'm originally from NP, been there many times for the cruise!!!
Are you the Buddy from Jordan?
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Hey all Minne's!!!
Btwn the trip to work and a ride out to New Prague I scooted 125 miles yesterday!! I was BEAT!!
Hope ya'll got out or can get out today before the.....
Ebsen will be quite handy for getting around to watch the marathon on sunday.

By the way DO3, it's exactly one mile from 101/169 junction to the exit at Old Shak Rd.
DO3

Post by DO3 »

By the way DO3, it's exactly one mile from 101/169 junction to the exit at Old Shak Rd.
Even at 60 MPH that is still one minute too long for me on that stretch of road.

Maybe if these rumored performance parts become available and it can carry me up to an easy 70 I'll give it a try. I actually test drove a vespa gt200 looking for a little more top speed today. At just under 6 grand, so not worth it. I guess I'll have to wait for speed parts for the buddy.

I've put a few more work and back miles on this week so thats good enough.
tinalee123

Post by tinalee123 »

Hey Minnesota gang -- the weather guessers are saying that a nice weekend may be coming up...would you be open to a group ride?? Of course, it's only Wednesday...one thing you can say about Minnesota weather -- just wait, it'll change... :wink:
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Not sure of my sched yet but weather unclear too.
I'd do my best to attend.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

tinalee123 wrote:We are brand new owners of Pink Buddy 50 (for me) and Black Cat 50 (for my darling husband). Just got 'em today and been having a great time! Got ours from Scooterville, the guys there are fantastic! We'll be using them to commute to work (Longfellow neighborhood to NE Mpls); hittin' the coffee shops; scooting around the lakes -- gonna eek out every last drop of warm weather that we can!! :idea: What do you think about organizing a "last hurrah" tour around the city, with a stop somewhere for lunch -- Birchwood Cafe, Signature Cafe (thanks Ed), or some other yummy place??? :idea:
Hey, I was talking to you guys right as you were leaving S'ville.
I called my girlfriend and convinced her to come down and ride a 125. After an hour, I knew that she would want it. We picked it up on the following Tuesday and she now has 135 miles on it.

Look for a cream 125 scooting around South Minneapolis!
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

tinalee123 wrote:Hey Minnesota gang -- the weather guessers are saying that a nice weekend may be coming up...would you be open to a group ride?? Of course, it's only Wednesday...one thing you can say about Minnesota weather -- just wait, it'll change... :wink:
Sunday's looking good, weatherwise. I know there's a group that meets at Uptown Pizza Luce at 2.
-K

My SmugMug
shaggyz

Post by shaggyz »

I would love to except I will be out of town the next couple of weekends.
Hopefully we will have a nice fall.
tinalee123

Post by tinalee123 »

Hey, I was talking to you guys right as you were leaving S'ville.
I called my girlfriend and convinced her to come down and ride a 125. After an hour, I knew that she would want it. We picked it up on the following Tuesday and she now has 135 miles on it.

Look for a cream 125 scooting around South Minneapolis!
-K[/quote]

Hey Kevin -- yep, we remember you!! That's very cool that your gf jumped on the band wagon! It's so fun scootering with your sweetie! We'll watch for her. We live down near Minnehaha Falls and are often found scooting along the river.

We're going to try to get out and about on Sunday, too - in and around the marathon! Look for us!!
tinalee123

Post by tinalee123 »

dahuffy wrote:I'm MPLS born and raised but now live in OKCity. Spent my teen years in Bloomington and my DH in Richfield.
dahuff - I'm from Bloomington, too!! Graduated from Lincoln High. My DH is a cheesehead, but, I adore him anyway!! :wink: What brought you to OK? I'll bet you're not missing the winters here... :P
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

There's a ride this Saturday. Possibly the nicest day of October and a great time to go for a scoot.
-K

http://www.minnescoota.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2009

My SmugMug
tinalee123

Post by tinalee123 »

:cry: ok, ok...sniff...sniff...now that we are clearly headed for...you know, w--w--winter (oh, that was painful to write...), what will everyone be doing with their scoots?? Keep riding?? Storage?? Center stage in the middle of the living room?? I'm all ears...
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Well, I have ridden my trusty BMW for the last three winters. I don't like what the salt has done to it. I am probably going to park the Vespa for the winter, since I now have a Honda sidecar rig to ride this year. We will probably park Susan's Buddy as well. What really sucks is that during the last few winters, there were always a few days nice enough to go riding.
What to do....what to do....
-K

My SmugMug
modernscooter

Post by modernscooter »

So Kevin,

What happened to Betty's the place is closed and up for lease?
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Betty's has been struggling for the past couple o' years. Many fingers have been pointed (by the local riding community) as to what caused its demise. I do know that the rent was killing them. Plus, a moto-friendly coffee shop is a niche market.
That's all I know.
-K

My SmugMug
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

I rode 60 mi rt from mpls to Chaska yesterday...what was it 38 degrees? It wasn't too bad. Fingers got a bit cold (gloves worn of course but no windshield). Drove up to 55mph for some stretches.

I hope to drive a bit yet this month and maybe November if dry, calm and sunny.

Speaking of windshields...any of you locals get one thru Scooterville? They aren't exactly the most obliging. I asked about the tall windshield and it sounded like they didn't like the looks so didn't plan on getting any. I asked about cost and after some hesitation was told $150. My impression was he threw out a high figure because they didn't want to bother w/it....
tinalee123

Post by tinalee123 »

MrNatural, I'm impressed! You are a hearty Minnesotan! Today was a pretty nice day, too - about 39 or so degrees...

DH and I both got windshields from Scooterville last month...I think we had gotten there in the nick of time - they had just received all of their accessories. I got the short one. They were very accommodating - considering it was a spur of the moment thing. I also got the basket and the rear rack - both in black.
Attachments
Mrs.Pinkhem5b.jpg
Mrs.Pinkhem5b.jpg (104.12 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
MrsPinkhem5a.jpg
MrsPinkhem5a.jpg (101.96 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

T-t-t-t-thanks......
Looks good!!
Did DH get a tall windshield???? Or did you both get the short?

Looks like a commute may be possible Tues and Wed this wk. Gonna give it a shot. Drove to Whole Foods and the Franklin Bakery Sunday... Sweat pants and long johns weren't enough...