NSR: Lollapalooza anyone?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Piedmont

NSR: Lollapalooza anyone?

Post by Piedmont »

I know we've got a lot of Chicagoland people here. Anyone going? I'll be coming in from KC, I'd love to meetup with anyone out there. It should be a good time.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Siouxsie & the Banshees were great at the first one in 1991. OMG! Was that really 17 years ago?!? <Falls out of chair> I went with a doctor and we spent the afternoon hauling sunpoisoned goths into the shade and propping them up with a couple bottles of water. :roll:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:Siouxsie & the Banshees were great at the first one in 1991. OMG! Was that really 17 years ago?!? <Falls out of chair> I went with a doctor and we spent the afternoon hauling sunpoisoned goths into the shade and propping them up with a couple bottles of water. :roll:
Yes they were! I went to both days of the first one and also the second year (both at Starplex in Dallas). Got in free because I was volunteering for Rock the Vote. I think Stereolab played one of those years.

Remember when people were scared of Ice T & Body Count (played the first year) and NWA (played the second year)? Now Ice T plays a cop on TV and Ice Cube does Disney movies. Ahhh, memories.

Sorry, oldbie nostalgic trip hijack!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
heyho

Post by heyho »

Will be there 3 days--will keep the Buddy at home!
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

i'm from lawrence and going too, with a good friend and meeting up/staying with with my sister in chicago. i wouldn't be opposed to a little scooter-folk meet-up.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Siouxsie & the Banshees

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Siouxsie & the Banshees were great at the first one in 1991.
Yes they were!
I have the oddest memory from that show. I really did spend the day scrounging bottles of water from the organizers for sunburned/sunpoisoned kids while a doctor friend of mine was getting them into the shade and making sure they weren't seriously ill. When late afternoon came, it was such a huge relief and I wandered back into the audience to see Siouxsie & the Banshees just at sunset. Before Siouxsie came on, some folks near me noticed that they could throw their empty waterbottles up in the air and catch the rays of the setting sun. It was kind of a cool thing to see. In no-time, everybody around us was doing it, throwing empty waterbottles up high enough to catch the rays of the setting sun. Pretty soon the entire audience was doing it. Thousands and thousands of waterbottles flying up and glinting in the sun, reflecting amazing colors just above the audience which was now (mercifully) in the shade cast by the distant treeline. I remember standing there thinking it looked like a cloud of huge colorful butterflies flitting above the crowd. It was a random moment of extraordinary beauty.

And just as suddenly as started, the sun went down behind the trees and it was over. Then Siouxsie & the Banshees came out the night just got better and better. Whew!

-John
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

OMG, have you seen the Pitchfork lineup? I can't make it to either, but if I had to pick one, Pitchfork looks WAY better...

I'm dying to see Boris and/or Times New Viking! Of course i've missed them both at smaller shows lately...

My Bloody Valentine's coming later this year, too, which blows my mind, but it's at a venue that I've had a terrible experience at every time I've been there, so I think I'm actually going to blow it off.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
bunny

Post by bunny »

ericalm wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Siouxsie & the Banshees were great at the first one in 1991. OMG! Was that really 17 years ago?!? <Falls out of chair> I went with a doctor and we spent the afternoon hauling sunpoisoned goths into the shade and propping them up with a couple bottles of water. :roll:
Yes they were! I went to both days of the first one and also the second year (both at Starplex in Dallas). Got in free because I was volunteering for Rock the Vote. I think Stereolab played one of those years.

Remember when people were scared of Ice T & Body Count (played the first year) and NWA (played the second year)? Now Ice T plays a cop on TV and Ice Cube does Disney movies. Ahhh, memories.

Sorry, oldbie nostalgic trip hijack!
You and I were at the same place at the same time. I think Stereolab was the second one. And Jane's Addiction...or was that Edgefest? Too many concerts at Smirnoff (nee Starplex). I was sad when they sold the name.

And yes, it was 17 years ago. My how time flies when we don't know what we're doing...
Last edited by bunny on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

weaseltamer wrote:i'm from lawrence and going too, with a good friend and meeting up/staying with with my sister in chicago. i wouldn't be opposed to a little scooter-folk meet-up.
Yes! We may only be 45 minutes away now, but we shan't meet until we are hours away!

How are you getting there? I'm taking Megabus, it should be an experience. Can't beat $70 round trip though.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

bunny wrote:And Jane's Addiction...
Jane's Addiction was DEFINITELY there. Perry Farrell was the original organizer. Jane says...

BTW, the show I'm referring to was outside Washington D.C. It was so insanely hot that day. I remember walking through the parking lot afterwards where a car was burning like a huge molten bonfire. I walked by the car and thought, "Yeah, me, too."

Piedmont, I apologize for hijacking your thread. I didn't set a very good example as a moderator here, did I? I hope this year's Lollapalooza leaves you with the kind of great memories I have of the first one!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

illnoise wrote:My Bloody Valentine's coming later this year, too, which blows my mind
Yeah, they made us wait long enough. I'm very eager for this one. They're playing 2 nights at an odd venue here. Hopefully I can score tickets.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bunny wrote:You and I were at the same place at the same time. I think Stereolab was the second one. And Jane's Addiction...or was that Edgefest? Too many concerts at Smirnoff (nee Starplex). I was sad when they sold the name.

And yes, it was 17 years ago. My how time flies when we don't know what we're doing...
Ha, that's hilarious. Yeah, I don't think I went to any Edgefests. But if you remember the Edge from that era, you may be surprised to learn that the Adventure Club is on the air in LA with Josh, one of the original hosts from Dallas (actually, I think he's from HEB!). I accidentally tuned in and discovered him playing a set of Old 97s songs. It was '90s Dallas all over again.
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

illnoise wrote:My Bloody Valentine's coming later this year, too, which blows my mind, but it's at a venue that I've had a terrible experience at every time I've been there, so I think I'm actually going to blow it off.
Wait, what's wrong with the venue? I may have to head back out for that one. How did I miss this?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Piedmont wrote:
illnoise wrote:My Bloody Valentine's coming later this year, too, which blows my mind, but it's at a venue that I've had a terrible experience at every time I've been there, so I think I'm actually going to blow it off.
Wait, what's wrong with the venue? I may have to head back out for that one. How did I miss this?
Show's in September but I think tickets have gone on sale.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

Piedmont wrote: How are you getting there? I'm taking Megabus, it should be an experience. Can't beat $70 round trip though.
my sister is taking megabus down for a wedding in late june. but i dunno anyone thats used it yet. we were just going to carpool, myself, good friend and my soon-to-be fiancee. we're going up a few days early to break the news to his parents (and brace ourselves for the doubtless backlash of freaking-out excitement from his mom.)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Piedmont wrote:Wait, what's wrong with the venue
it's the Aragon. it's a neat venue with a long history, but it's just no good for rock shows.

Bad sightlines, bad acoustics, bad door policy, rude staff, if you don't show up at 6pm for an 8:00 show, you'll stand in a three-block-long line while they slowly search everyone for two hours and you'll miss more than half of the show, with no chance of a refund.

I saw Nirvana there and it was terrible. The next day Kurt said in an interview it was the worst show they'd ever done (it wasn't all the venue's fault, the other show they played there was allegedly great.)

I saw the Beastie Boys and L7 there. The Beasties had dyed their hair green, and the sightlines were so bad, I didn't notice until the encore.

I finally broke down and went there again to see Ween last year, I got there 45 minutes early and missed 2/3 of the show standing in line outside. I'd rather go to an arena show. (and also, I didn't realize that Ween had become popular with jam-band people, some faux-dreadlocked girl in a widespread panic shirt lost her shrooms on my new Sambas so I spent 2-3 of the few songs I got to see washing hippie puke off my shoes. but I guess that's not really the Aragon's fault.)

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Lojical1 and I are flying up from Texas :D (wish we could bring our scooters) Black Keys is one of my favorite bands so I'll definitely be checking them.