Sidecars for the Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Cisco Kid

Sidecars for the Buddy

Post by Cisco Kid »

Does anyone know if they make a sidecar for the Buddy? If so where can I order one!!!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

viewtopic.php?t=2957&highlight=sidecar

viewtopic.php?t=1746&highlight=sidecar

It can probably be done, but it would require some modifications, and it wouldn't be very fast. (That's a cozi brand sidecar, btw).

I have a few friends with sidecars (MCs and vintage scooters) that point out that riding with a sidecar requires very different skills than a motorcycle, and as attention-getting as they are, they take a lot of the fun out of riding and take up a sick amount of room in the garage. Some even say they're harder to drive than a 2-wheeler just because they handle so strangely.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
bunny

Post by bunny »

I saw one on the Stella at the Vespa dealership and could not quite visualize how they turn. And the small interior size looked like it would be a factor as well. I agree with illnoise about the appeal wearing off pretty quickly. They look cool but how functional are they?
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

irishtim

Post by irishtim »

illnoise wrote:... riding with a sidecar requires very different skills than a motorcycle, and as attention-getting as they are, they take a lot of the fun out of riding and take up a sick amount of room in the garage. Some even say they're harder to drive than a 2-wheeler just because they handle so strangely.
+1

Attention-getting to be sure but a PAIN to ride/drive.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mike @ NoHo Scooters tried it but couldn't ever get it balanced. It's still connected to a shop Buddy, but it's a danger and a menace!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

ericalm wrote:Mike @ NoHo Scooters tried it but couldn't ever get it balanced. It's still connected to a shop Buddy, but it's a danger and a menace!
sounds squirrely... :twisted:
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

I would actually like to get a small size sidecar that could hang off one side, with a saddlebag on the other side to counterbalance so that I could take my pug along with for rides. Ive seen that dog crate topcase, but it looks like it would just be tooo big physically on the Blur and make it topheavy. With the sidecar idea, he would be lower to the ground and less in danger of taking a HARD hit to the ground if the scooter did tip over. If i build the framing up myself, i would definitely reinforce the cart so that it would be able to hold the weight of the Blur. I have access to all the materials and tools, just need the time. Could possibly be a winter project I could work on.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I always thought they were so cool looking but now that I am a 2 wheeled rider, I think they would defeat the purpose of being "one with the road "(or some bull S cliche like that) . The physics are ruined.
Glen G

cool

Post by Glen G »

Very cool.. up side, easier for people to see you.. downside.. I'm toldby my sidecar Stella friend.. you'll loose 10=15 mph.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

GFridrich3 wrote:With the sidecar idea, he would be lower to the ground and less in danger of taking a HARD hit to the ground if the scooter did tip over.
Or in more danger of having a 300lb scooter fall on him.

Normally, if not in a sidecar or special topcase, I'd say the safest and best place would be on the floorboard somehow. For a pug, the dog may be small enough to fit in one of those soft duffel bag style pet carriers that could be attached to the back of your seat.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…