New Buddy - Running slow, help! - already searched

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CO_50

New Buddy - Running slow, help! - already searched

Post by CO_50 »

So we picked up our new Buddy 50 this Summer and it currently has about 250 miles on it. We opted to have the dealer install a cylinder kit right away so we could get some extra power.
It has run very well up until a few days ago. Upon start it idles well, and sounds great for the first 100-200 yards. Then it begins to drown, the exhaust note becomes lower and there is even a bit of cut-out, power is weak. It gets worse the longer it runs, losing power and bogging down. I notice that just keeping speed at 30mph my throttle is wide open! It has never been this weak.
I adjusted the idle, checked pressure in the gas tank for vapor lock and still cannot seem to figure out what the problem is. Battery? Air/fuel carb issue? But why out of no-where like this? Perhaps the adjustment screw came loose? Any help/pictures would be great.
ps- the gas tank is full of 91 octane too.
Thanks in advance
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

The muffler makes a weird sound? I'd think maybe something hit and damaged the interior of the muffler, so it isnt working properly. I'd let the dealer look at it.
CO_50

Post by CO_50 »

I am hoping I can work this out without having to take it into the shop. It is not the muffler per see but the overall sound of the motor. With the cylinder kit on it really makes a nice, high pitched sound, but lately it is just groaning along...
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

Check the exhaust port for carbon buildup.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Did the dealer rejet when they installed the kit? I'm wondering if cold or altitude might be a factor.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
chuck_theobald

Post by chuck_theobald »

My Vespa troubleshooter mentions weak spark at the plug, incorrect air/fuel mixture, and compression. Does your exhaust smell of gas? If so, you are probably running rich. Check the condition of your plug, this can also show whether you are running rich. Since you had a cylinder kit put on, you may also have blown a gasket, which would result in reduced compression and loss of power. A compression tester would be in order.
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

A kit would also entail a larger jet in the carb, some sort of airbox mod and a derestricted exhaust, to get the most bang for your buck. A plug chop would reveal if the jetting is correct after these mods. It's imperative these mods are all accomplished at the same time.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

This is a new condition. Something that has changed since the piston swap. Could be a clog in the fuel system limiting flow to the carb. The 2-strokes have oil injection so it could be too much or not enough oil. Too much will foul the plug. Too little will cause the piston to seize and lose compression. Nasty neighbor stuck something in your tailpipe?

Good luck.