Winter Storage of my Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MNBuddy

Winter Storage of my Buddy

Post by MNBuddy »

I am new to the world of scootering. I need to know what I should do to make my scooter ready for winter storage :( .

I know its a sad subject but what with winter here in Minnesota it is not feasible to be able to ride all winter.

Do I make sure the fuel tank is empty or is the use of fuel stabilizer ok? I know what to do with other gas powered machines (eg lawn mower, etc) but I want to make sure I do what is best for my Buddy.

I also assume that it is best to remove the battery and keep it on a tender all winter.

I don't want to think about it but we had serious snow flurries yesterday and I have to face the reality of a long Buddyless winter :cry: .
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

My parents both were born and raised there, my dad tells me stories of snow drifts up to the second floor windows, etc. (He retired to northern Vermont - go figure). I've only been there in the summer time.

I expect you are making the right decision. I am sure someone here will give you some good advice on storage.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Definitely use fuel stabilizer. Fill up the tank, add the stabilizer, then take a short ride so that the stabilized fuel has a chance to get into the carbs. You don't need to remove the battery, but putting it on a tender is a good idea.

When the thaw arrives, be sure to check the tire pressure before riding. You may also want to do an oil change after your first spring ride, as the oil will have had a long time to collect moisture and other junk.